Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBasic Income

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 01:35
The liberal lefty in me likes the idea of pulling people out of poverty but the conseravtive in me doesn't like the idea of encouraging laziness. Would it do that, and would the devil make work for idle hands etc?

Economically how would it work? Specifically if everyone overall became much wealthier due to this policy what would that do the interest rates and the cost of living. Would the basic income be a meaningless amount of money without regular huge increases to keep up? Where does that cycle stop?

Maybe in the west we'll have to move to a system like this one day anyway as manufacturing jobs and heavy industry shuts down and heads eastward and blue collar job oportunities dry up.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 09:25
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The liberal lefty in me likes the idea of pulling people out of poverty but the conseravtive in me doesn't like the idea of encouraging laziness. Would it do that, and would the devil make work for idle hands etc?

Well I guess it would depend on how you define laziness and work. If you just mean it as either working for an employer or not, then there would be more laziness. But if you were to consider the usefulness of the particular job for the rest of society, then I think an absence of useless jobs wouldn't be a bad thing. A garbage collector will always be useful, but there are many bureaucratic jobs that don't necessarily contribute to anything. Here is an article on that subject.

Apparently PA's censor still catches naughty words in urls for some reason.

Edited by A Person - April 30 2016 at 09:26
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:13
I think of my old friend who was a writer and and fervent leftist.  He flat out refused to work and hated the premise that we should all have to submit to that system.  (Bless his heart, he never moved out of his parents home so he could afford to live that viewpoint for a long time).  God, if you folks could have heard some of his long, late night lectures about life....I'll never forget it

But he believed that he should be able to stay home, write, paint, and live the life he wanted to while being supported by a BI program.  He believed that such payments were achievable and that he shouldn't have to kiss anyone's ass to collect...he believed a quality society would allow artists and free thinkers to exist and do their thing without having to succeed in the marketplace, or jump through anyone's hoop.  He believed people had the right to reject "work" and contribute in their own way.   He believed the simplification that a BI would bring to what is currently a complicated, nonsensical system would be a huge benefit.  I believe with near certainty he would be around today if we had BI, which makes me wonder how many lives would be saved by a universal system of complete support, income and health, with no strings attached and no work requirement. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 11:05
To bring a third world perspective to this discussion, in an advanced economy operating at the frontier, this makes sense in the short/medium term because all requisite facilities to lead your life are already at hand.  Basically what we call public amenities.  What happens in developing economies is there are many areas where setting up of such facilities, including even healthcare, are deemed unviable by the private sector and the government has to step in to provide them.  You can argue that that is bad economics but dang there are people living there and they don't have the means to shift to where they can avail of these amenities either.   My argument is moving to UBI presumes that the private sector will provide for all necessary amenities that are presently under govt.  Otherwise, paying a UBI and also having the govt run hospitals/post offices where the private sector thinks it's a waste makes no sense; it would only be a duplication of expenditure in effect. While we typically think of only stuff like food stamps (or direct hand out of subsidised/free food in developing nations) when it comes to subsidies, even services like the above are subsidised, often heavily, by the govt and a private sector player may either price it out of reach of the poor or decide against operating it. If you're going to pay a UBI to everyone, including the middle and upper classes who don't need it, then it has to go hand in hand with eliminating government from the upkeep of public amenities.  The central question then is to what extent that is feasible.  
Ier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 12:29
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Here in The Netherlands we are already kind of close to this. You will always get enough money to live from (just enough to make a living) if you are wanting to work but can't at the moment, very simply put.

I think making it a standard for everyone without conditions is a good idea. But people should indeed have to work for every luxury they'd want.
The only thing I'm questioning is where all that money comes from... It could be well the case that a lot of money pressing (so inflation indeed) is required, the income from income taxes will also dissapear.

"Here in The Netherlands we are already kind of close to this. You will always get enough money to live from (just enough to make a living) if you are wanting to work but can't at the moment, very simply put."

Eh... No, NOT true! Very long story short: I graduated (studied microbiology), couldn't find any work, so I had to ask for a welfare... Lived without money for half a year before I finally got 'approved', and in the meantime I had to search actively EVERY DAY for a job and I had to say YES to every job that came onto my path, if I refused I got cut off 100%. I had to follow stupid required courses (or got cut off again), had to go to every useless appointment etc... I went near to berserk because I got cut off on my welfare for the most stupid reasons, which were mostly their fault... Anyway, it even became a long lawsuit to get my welfare back... Which I lost of course (and my lawyer was a very sweet man and had never seen such a terrible and devastating lawsuit)

So yes, a basic income without any bureaucratic bullsh*t would be nice, because I have no income for years at the moment. I'm homeless, have no health insurance and every day I live in fear that the police will put me into jail (or something like that) because I have a terrible debts of unpaid bills and loans... 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 12:40
Iris, very sorry to hear about this.....and hope things improve.  I didn't realize it was like that over there as well, I would have assumed Netherlands were very different from that experience.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 16:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I think of my old friend who was a writer and and fervent leftist.  He flat out refused to work and hated the premise that we should all have to submit to that system.  (Bless his heart, he never moved out of his parents home so he could afford to live that viewpoint for a long time).  God, if you folks could have heard some of his long, late night lectures about life....I'll never forget it

But he believed that he should be able to stay home, write, paint, and live the life he wanted to while being supported by a BI program.  He believed that such payments were achievable and that he shouldn't have to kiss anyone's ass to collect...he believed a quality society would allow artists and free thinkers to exist and do their thing without having to succeed in the marketplace, or jump through anyone's hoop.  He believed people had the right to reject "work" and contribute in their own way.   He believed the simplification that a BI would bring to what is currently a complicated, nonsensical system would be a huge benefit.  I believe with near certainty he would be around today if we had BI, which makes me wonder how many lives would be saved by a universal system of complete support, income and health, with no strings attached and no work requirement.

Coincidentally, I've come across an essay today titled The Abolition of Work. It is pretty interesting.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 16:10
Thanks Matt, I'll check it out.....and my friend salutes youLOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:08
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:25
interesting article darling..

one point hits close to home.

And the supply of these “non-college jobs” is shifting away from high-paying occupations, such as electrician, toward low-wage service jobs, such as waiter.

and internal forecasts are within the next 20 years half the current workforce will need to be replaced as we will dead or retired.. or both LOL

Those jobs are available now but you just don't take mr. Degree in Art History with a minor in English Lit and put him into a 13.2 kV transformer LOL Our job doesn't require a college education but it is highly sklilled.  Look at my crew over at Commonwealth.  One white, me, one black. and two not even born in this country. A Vietnamese and a Mexican.  The jobs are there for 'native born' folks.. but this country is has and always will have a cult of college education. I'm all for that, but certain jobs. Like mine are recession proof, high paying, and will never be phased out by robots technology (at least in many lifetimes ) but are looked down upon by many Americans.. including my dear ex-wife....as being grunt work.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:33
I often go back and think about that rather interesting book of social and political critiques in the guise of a zombie apocalypse novel.

World War Z

most people in this country simply don't do anything... produce anything. A bunch of mid level paper pushers or unskilled service industry which that article touched upon. Of course those jobs are easily replaceable and expendable and yes.. technology could well phase out a great many jobs a great many people in this country do hold.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:47
I read a sobering article a while back too...also from Atlantic I think.

It said basically that the fervency to get every kid into college is a sham.  In the future, yes, there will be a few STEM jobs out there, but not that many.  As we push all our kids to aspire the STEM, the real need is going to be in jobs like Nursing, ElderCare, and I forgot the others...but essentially non glamorous are where almost ALL of the jobs are going to be. 

Instead, we are still telling every child they must have that big name degree.  And tons of debt.  Ridiculous. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:51
yep...
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:56

Thanks Matt, I'll check it out.....and my friend salutes youLOL

LOL Now that I am thinking of antiwork stuff I remember seeing this poster the other day:
http://ourdesignworks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/tumblr_mbyxdarS5S1qz6f9yo1_r1_500.jpg

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:58
I hear what you're saying, Micky.
When I got out of the Army in 1971 I could have gone to college for four years and gotten paid  to go. 
But I chose to join a large construction union as a first year apprentice. We worked every day and went to school two nights a week but had no school during the summer just like a regular school year.
As it turned out, my GI Bill benefits still paid me during the four years I went to school.
As a journeyman I had high wages, excellent health care and now collect two pensions (since 2006).
We also had company supplied vehicles with gas credit cards. That alone added quite a bit to my annual income.
There were also advancement opportunities and I eventually went into the office (and to a fifty-two checks a year salary) as an estimator/project manager/draftsman. An air conditioned office sure beat a hot, dirty job site.
I did not once regret not going to college.

I don't really see the benefits of this basic income idea. Encouraging people to do nothing just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:59
I like it Matt.  I've been working my ass off non stop since 1979 and I'm tired, ready to throw in the towel.  Not that I can afford to reallyLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 18:09
Clap my decision to drop out and follow what interested me, not what was expected of me by my wife or my parents directly led to me losing both..neither could accept my decision to drop out (a semester short of graduating) but I never regret it.  Yes I could have had an easier job, perhaps an even higher paying one, but it would have been definitely have been one in which I am not challenged like me job does. If I f**k up I don't get chewed out. I die or get hurt, or worse. other do. I like that kind of pressure/challenge. And the job satisfaction? Short of teaching children.. I don't think any job has our level of job satisfaction. We do what few can do and more often than not we are helping people.

I do have a love hate relationship with the job. But generally I love it. Even to the point I'd never want that A/C office gig.. I love doing what I do and as long as I am physically up to doing it I plan on doing it till I am able tor retire or it kills me. Anyhow the point was I was trying to make. We do make damn good money, yes it is dangerous at times and often dirty nasty work but I haven't seen a single person laid off in the last 10 years for lack of work and as I noted above. Half the current workers in my field will be gone in the next 20 years. They need to be replaced.. and those still in the field.. will command TOP dollar. I have seen, been involved a few times in fact, in high bidding wars for ones services between companies. Good experienced electricians are like gold, and are paid accordingly. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 18:13
Is our power grid really in as bad of shape as they say, Mick?  Falling apart and ripe for hacking?  Or is that a case of the media sensationalism?
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 18:15

I like it Matt.  I've been working my ass off non stop since 1979 and I'm tired, ready to throw in the towel.  Not that I can afford to reallyLOL

Most people can't. LOLCry I am only 25 but I am already exhausted to the bone at the idea of having to work just to survive for the rest of my life.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 18:17
My last experience with almost full-time work (teaching Italian to military people) was so devastating that I have developed an aversion to work - and I was brought up by two very hard-working parents, who instilled in me the belief that work is one of the most important (if not the most important) forms of self-realization. I am still recovering from that experience, which nearly destroyed my self-esteem and did a lot of damage to my relationship with my fellow human beings. At my age, it's not really worth it any more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>