Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKC and The Road To Red

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: KC and The Road To Red
    Posted: April 28 2016 at 22:36
Hi All. Just wrote an article on 'The Road To Red' and its predecessors and wondered what other think about this gargantuan boxed set. Grandiose folly or Fascinating document? Or both?!

'The Road to Restraint' @ Vinyl Connection

Bruce from Vinyl Connection

Edited by Vinyl Connection - April 28 2016 at 22:41
www.vinylconnection.com.au
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 07:56
RF always said he hated bootlegs, likening them to "rape". While I really doubt his metaphor; if this field recording practice is so dreadful why is he selling all bootlegs he can? Can't think of too many instances of a rape victim selling their... experience; or rather, a view of it.

The Red box is like so many others of it's kind in this easy to distribute music age - way too demanding on time. I think taste is in order. Release improvs or anything significantly different to anything else. It's an archive release and interesting. Now if it had sheet music for Starless, or the bit past the water torture guitar solo (the jazz section bit I don't know) would be useful.

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:25
I heard some samples on AllMusic and I'm not sure they're bootlegs, maybe plugged in to a prepared soundboard and recorded, similar to how the stuff on the Night Watch was recorded or one of the better stuff from Fripp's DGM archives such as Live At The Marquee 1971 or Absent Lovers.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:34
Great article, Bruce Thumbs Up I still don't have USA nor SABB, so there's no reason for me get that Tongue I don't think there's a single band that I'm a fan enough to get something like that.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 11:44
Really enjoyed the article, keep up good work! :)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 15:16
I absolutely love TRTR because it's a chance to hear how this improvisation-heavy Crimso lineup evolved during their final tour.  For example, there are 16 versions of Exiles but in each one Fripp played a different solo and the other guys consistently changed up their approaches.  Also very cool is there are tons of improvisations never available before.  I really loved the extra goodies that came in the box...especially the 12" x 12" booklet including Fripp's journal entries that allow me to get inside his head while the band he created and devoted the past 6 years of his life to was coming to an untimely demise. 

The best way I can fully describe it is in my comprehensive review of The Road to Red:

Apparently I'm still the only one crazy enough to have written a review for it on PA LOL 

Even though it's a 5 solid gold star masterpiece for me, I only rated it 4 out of 5 stars in my review for the simple reason that only maniacal Crimso fanatics would really dig this.  For the more casual Crimso fan, there are much more succinct live albums with consistently better sound quality from the '74 tour (The Great Deceiver, The Night Watch, extended releases of USA, etc) to scratch that itch Cool

Edited by The.Crimson.King - May 02 2016 at 15:23
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 17:40
I've heard some bits of the concerts on it but never the whole thing. There's an interesting variety of performances from what I hear- and their setlists and improvisations are fantastic. Though I'd never spend that much on a box set, even if KC is my favorite band. Confused
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 04:27
This is just too much for me. I already own my share of live albums from around that time + own all the studio stuff as well. I guess these sorts of boxsets first and foremost cater to diehard fans and completists. I love Crimson but I really don't need a historical rendition of how Easy Money evolved live over a year - told in 8 slightly different versions.

That was a nice article btw, thanks for sharingThumbs Up

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 09 2016 at 04:28
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply