Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 15:53
Managed to get some grass and really enjoyed "Nirvana For Mice". I can see why it's called that in the last few minutes.
Oh NOW I hear the beauty of Amygdala!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 04:37
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

So, "Leg End".
I didn't hate it, but I'm not jumping for joy. Might take a few more listens to click.
The individual composed tunes were preferable to the group ones.
But yeah, not that bad.

I fell in love with LegEnd immediately, but I can very well understand it might take some time to be appreciated by some. It will click, sooner or later. Wink The music on that album is some of the most intelligent and original stuff I have ever heard.
This was 'love at first listen' for me too. A bit 'out there', but the overall (Canterbury) sound was perfect. It is somewhat 'difficult' music I guess, but it will definitely offer its charms over repeated listenings. I never 'grasped it' fully at first, but knew I loved it.
I think I'm a half-insane individual as I go through phases as such ; R.P.I. non-stop for months, Kraut, Space/Psych, Canterbury........blah blah. And currently, all things Metal. Anthrax being the 'flavour of the month' so to speak. Will always love the Cow and Daggie for sure.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 03:46
I always find it difficult to recommend an entree into the Cow; their albums are markedly different in character although Leg End is the obvious starting point.  For me, it was actually Desperate Straights, more of a Slapp Happy album, but I snapped up IPOL when it was released (that was 42 years ago...)
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 09:48
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

The music on that album is some of the most intelligent and original stuff I have ever heard.

Amén.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 07:00
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

So, "Leg End".
I didn't hate it, but I'm not jumping for joy. Might take a few more listens to click.
But yeah, not that bad.

I fell in love with LegEnd immediately, but I can very well understand it might take some time to be appreciated by some. It will click, sooner or later. Wink The music on that album is some of the most intelligent and original stuff I have ever heard.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 06:54
So, "Leg End".
But yeah, not that bad.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:58
I think it was either the reprise for Teenbeat or that one with Mice unthetitle.
But there was a saxophone introduction that was the most beautiful thing I've heard!
But obviously being me, didn't do anything to investigate further.
Well such slacking ends now right here today PA!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 06:57
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Actually, there are two versions of 'Teenbeat' from this period on the Later and Post Virgin disc of the Box Set!!  One was recorded a few days after I first saw them!

I have never seen Fred Frith outside of Henry Cow, so enjoy on the 17th!!

Oh yes, there are indeed, I did not remember. I'm listening to "Teenbeat 2" (and have just finnished "Teenbeat 3") from the CD 2 right now, it sounds very interesting. I like how they start out with what was called "Teenbeat Reprise" on LegEnd and then go on to actual "Teenbeat." So it's highly likely that I'm listening to something resembling the version you heard! Very nice, thanks for reminding me! Smile

Thank you very much!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 06:40
Actually, there are two versions of 'Teenbeat' from this period on the Later and Post Virgin disc of the Box Set!!  One was recorded a few days after I first saw them!

I have never seen Fred Frith outside of Henry Cow, so enjoy on the 17th!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 06:29
Thanks a lot for sharing that story, Richard. There aren't that many recordings of "Teenbeat" from this period, I would love to hear it.

Also, Fred Frith Trio will be playing in Warsaw on the 17th of February and the tickets are quite inexpensive. If everything goes right, I will get to see my favorite guitarist of all time live for the first time. Big smile
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 03:38
I love love love love love Henry Cow, this thread deserves more love. 

Thanks for sharing your story Flight123, they would've been incredible to see live in concert Hug
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 03:22
On Saturday 4th February, it will be exactly 40 years ago since I first saw this great band live!  The venue was the Victoria Leisure Centre, Nottingham (UK - the Cow showing their preference for less conventional venues).  I think the gig was promoted by Liquorice magazine, and the support was Col. Custer's Last Stand Band.  Not a RIO band by any stretch of the imagination - I recall a cover version of Ace's 'How Long?'  
I was only 14 and the Cow blew us away.  I remember them starting the second half of the set with 'Beautiful as the moon...' which rocked.  I am sure they also played 'No More Songs' and 'Teenbeat' - and of course, sections of improv. (one portion reminded me of 'Udine').  I was lucky enough to see them the same year in the October, but Dagmar had retired from touring by then.  That was at Nottingham University but another great night (the only singing was on what turned out to be 'Viva Pa Ubu').  Sorry, had to share that.  By the way, a couple of weeks before the Cow gig I saw Genesis and the next one after was Hawkwind...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 08:24
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

In case you haven't seen it, check out this month's issue of The Wire - wonderful 'Invisible Jukebox' with Dagmar...

http://www.thewire.co.uk/issues/

Great! My dad has been subscribing The Wire for a little over a decade now and there are quite a few articles and interviews about Henry Cow and related acts. Smile Will have to ask him for the newest issue, I'd love to read what Dagmar has got to say. Thanks for the heads up, I'm very glad you are still checking in here! We need to keep the fire burning.

I have recently been really enjoying Unrest and stuff from the era, especially the second disc from the 40th Anniversary Box Set.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 02:59
In case you haven't seen it, check out this month's issue of The Wire - wonderful 'Invisible Jukebox' with Dagmar...

http://www.thewire.co.uk/issues/

Edited by Flight123 - November 23 2016 at 03:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 08:05
^^Wow, have fun, man! I'm really jealous!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:58
^I wish I was.  Was lucky enough to see the Lindsay Cooper tribute concerts in Nov. 2014 - you are in for a treat!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:54
Going to Half The Sky, the Lyndsey Cooper tribute with Yumi Hara and Chris Cutler, in 2 weeks at RIO.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:42
But that's a testament to the enduring appeal of these bands.  I only caught the tail end of it - those two Henry Cow gigs I saw in 77 are my most treasured musical memories.  I think I thought Henry Cow was a guy to begin with...no internet in them days...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:29
I often feel like a 'bandwagon hopper' by digging these amazing bands long after the fact, but I deeply feel the magic and ideals of what they do. I am sad I missed out on it all 'as it happened' at the time. I was only aware of Henry Cow when I acquired Hatfield's debut album with Geoff Leigh - I though HC was some guy, but was told it was a band. I got LegEnd around '97 and that was it. Canterbury bliss, fell for it (Amygdala blew my head off) and the rest is history. So much to enjoy.

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 07 2016 at 06:30
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:11
Tell me about it!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>