Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you could remove any album from the 100 list...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you could remove any album from the 100 list...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 14:37
I agree with those who've said Kind of Blue on the basis that it's a great album, but doesn't belong on a prog list. In that respect I'd include Billy Cobham's "Spectrum", too. As far as albums that are in there that I just really don't like/don't get, probably:
  • Hand. Cannot. Erase. (too derivative to be considered a masterpiece)
  • Anything that Peter Hammill sings on (can't stand his voice, like many others)
The rest seem reasonable enough to me, but if you were asking for albums that aren't in the top 100 that I believe should be, that'd be a different story!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 15:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Anything by Miles Davis, Al Di Meola should be removed since there is a Jazz Archives, Al Di Meola really??...all the Beatles should be removed, sorry was just told they are not on the list.

Carry on......

Okay, I will carry on..... Most anything by Dream Theater, and to maybe a lesser extent, Opeth, since there is a Metal Archives. We could do away with any bands/artists that do jazz and/or metal. *wink*

For those that don't know, Progarchives has two sister sites: jazzmusicarchives and metalmusicarchives and of course there are many on those sites that are also at this site.

But seriously, I would not include Kind of Blue, but I'm okay with Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way in the top 100 as those are appropriate to the jazz/rock fusion category, unlike the masterpiece of modal jazz, Kind of Blue. If I could, I would rather like to replace Kind of Blue with Get Up With It in the top 100, but I wouldn't since it's not, nor should it be, my personal list.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 16:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

All the progmetal and neoprog
And Kind of Blue, while it is a fav of mine, doesn't make sense

I like the way you think ClapBeer

pfff...

I LOVE the way he thinks...Thumbs Up The only regret I've ever had of my time at PA's was getting fired from the Neo-Prog team before I was able to delete all those bands and albums from the database Evil SmileLOL

I should have waited at least a couple hours after being accepted onto the team before making my intentions known... though hey.. I did get the record for shortest ever term on a genre team here.  2 hours...

NO MICKY you were so close to victory but started showing off.  Don't worry, our Day will soon come!

Beer to you both. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 17:41
Selling England By The Pound
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 17:43
yeah.. it is a weakness of mine. I did have a master plan to corrupt the site. I managed that.. but I lost the 2nd front.. to eliminate that pansy genesis-clone sh*t and I meant to do an inside job of it. I was so happy to be half way to victory I had to open my big mouth.

I promised Robert lots of booze broads and blow to liven up his team if he took me onto the Neo team... that always works with proggers. Especially Neo fans. The poor souls.

Before I could execute my... executions... starting with IQ... I had to open my mouth as to my real reason for wanting to join that team.  FAIL!!!!   Needless to say he terminated me with extreme prejudice. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 18:24
I counted three Miles Davis albums in the Top 100. No matter how much you may care for the albums, they simply are not prog rock. And last time I checked, PA is still, allegedly, Your Ultimate Prog Rock Resource. I think those three should be replaced by Johnny Cash's Live at San Quentin, Howlin' Wolf's Moanin' in the Moonlight, and George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 18:37
Bizarrely I was listening to Cash's Live at San Quentin just before you posted as I was thinking about mentioning that album as part of response to Mickey's last post (I would have mentioned it in the very place where your post fell).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 18:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Bizarrely I was listening to Cash's Live at San Quentin just before you posted as I was thinking about mentioning that album as part of response to Mickey's last post (I would have mentioned it in the very place where your post fell).

Great album. Splendid album. I love Live at San Quentin and At Folsom Prison. Of course, we all realize their relation to prog rock is so tenuous as to be nonexistent. Hey, they have drums and guitars! 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 19:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Great album. Splendid album. I love Live at San Quentin and At Folsom Prison. Of course, we all realize their relation to prog rock is so tenuous as to be nonexistent. Hey, they have drums and guitars! 

The strange thing is that I was going to mention it where your post fell, but in a totally different context (albeit also meant for humour value). I chose not to because I felt that what I was about to say might be deemed offensive depite just joking (had something to do with that Cash being a very manly performance and a certain prog genre not being quite so manly, so broads, blow and booze might not go down that well -- eschew the booze, run away from the broads). I also listened to Live at Folsom on youtube.

It is Friday the 13th. On another note, even if it isn't prog rock, I'm okay with as is sometimes called "electric Miles" in the list as at least there is some fusion of jazz and rock music, unlike in Kind of Blue.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 22:45
Any VDGG album---god hate his voice---lol

I love this site but the fact that prog masterpiece Tales from Topographic Oceans isn't on there and so many other second rate albums are ---seems ridiculous. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 23:18
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
It's a wonderful album but it a rather obvious nonsense in a prog top 100

Absolutely. It's one of the greatest albums ever made - but it is straight up pure jazz. Miles is in PA for fusion albums like In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew. Kind of Blue deserves its rating - it just shouldn't be listed in the top 100 prog albums list.

Edited by jude111 - May 13 2016 at 23:22
Bucklebutt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 00:23
I feel like Miles Davis should be excluded  here. Seems like the easy way out..
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 06:42
Alright then I'll playEvil Smile

These are the ones I could happily live without in the top 100:

Änglagård - Hybris
Camel - Moodmadness
Dream Theater - Metropolis
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Rush - Moving Pictures
Opeth - Still Life
Renaissance - Scheherazade and other Stories
IQ - The Road of Bones
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Änglagård - Viljans Öga
Opeth - Pale Communion
Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element pt 1
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 07:07
Kind Of Blue. I am also not hip with all types of metal on this site (how are there so many of them?), neo-prog, post-rock/math rock. That is just not how I define progressive rock. I don't like it. Oh well, thankfully I don't have to review them or listen.

I know you might hate what I've just said. But really, we've got to the point of having some Death Metal and Black Metal bands. Anyway, everybody likes their own thing and let's just live in piece. You can clearly see I am afraid of opposing voices. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 08:47
Hi,

I would not want to remove albums ... I would much prefer that the list was 100 ARTISTS, rather than fan favoritism deciding what is right and properly good.

Any band with 3 or 4 or 5 albums in the list, obviously deserves to have a better placement as an artist in the list, than just a preference for one of their albums, and stuff like this makes too many bands look, and sound trivial ... like they are good for one album and trash for the rest. This is about a person/artist, not a fan's favoritism, is my idea.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 09:42
I would remove Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" too, but for a totally different reason.  Although a landmark album, I don't like "Kind of Blue" as much as 6 other Miles Davis albums I can name off the top of my head.   Yet, I like the Jazz albums listed in the top 100.   But then again,  I'm more into inclusion then exclusion.

I think " Road of Bones" may be the best prog album of the decade.   Certainly a top 5 since 2000 for moi.  So I don't mind neo-prog, as long as it's good.    I would rather listen to great songs and music then worry about categorizing sh*t.

Although I usually dislike death growls " Unexpect, Opeth, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are notable exceptions",  I'm fine with Death Metal bands inclusion in the Prog Archives lists.  I figure different strokes for different folks.   Whatever floats your boat as long as you don't sink my battleship.Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - May 14 2016 at 09:49
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 10:19
I wouldn't presume to say any album should be "removed" from the list, but I can think of plenty of albums I think are more deserving of such acclaim than the Pain of Salvation titles.  They're not bad, but probably the first ones to raise my eyebrows. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I wouldn't presume to say any album should be "removed" from the list, but I can think of plenty of albums I think are more deserving of such acclaim than the Pain of Salvation titles.  They're not bad, but probably the first ones to raise my eyebrows. 

Well....someone 'presumed' to put them on the list in the first place , so I think anyone else can 'presume' to remove them.
Wink

btw...I like your John Prine song quote....used to play a lot of Prine in the old days....thanks for reminding us of him
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 10:59
I can barely make it through that song without tears, it reminds me so much of my elders, right down to losing someone in Korea.  The factory.  News repeats itself.  Hollow ancient eyes.  What a song.  Old age is rough.  

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 13:12
Kind of Blue is the only album that really looks completely silly on the list since it has nothing to do with progressive rock no matter how far one wishes to stretch things. The album certainly deserves its rating, and it is fine having complete discographies of every artist included, but to list a mainstream jazz album as a top progressive rock album is a non sequitur.

Everything else on the list is fine because there is at least a progressive rock tie somewhere in there. The list includes plenty of albums that don't thrill me, but the site is supposed to reflect the community view of the top 100, not any individual's taste. If i liked every single album on the list, I would feel like I have become a zombielike critter out of the Village of the Damned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>