Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Older British Sitcoms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick your favourite from this list of sitcoms from the 60s, 70s & 80s
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [30.00%]
3 [15.00%]
7 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older British Sitcoms
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 07:27
What's your favourite from this list of classic British sitcoms?
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 07:46
^ Having this poll without Fawlty Towers is like Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 08:00
Blackadder, followed by Porridge and Dad's Army.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 08:35
I have a friend who looks and acts just like the tightwad groveler on Rising Damp.....not a bad show but light years behind the two seasons of Faulty Towers.

Edited by Intruder - May 17 2016 at 08:36
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 08:40
I should vote for Yes Minister or Blackadder...but I loved The Good Life.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 08:41
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^ Having this poll without Fawlty Towers is like Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark.

I know it's a minority opinion but I hated Fawlty Towers.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:08
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

How did I forget Fawlty Towers? Shocked Sorry.......
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:30
I sense that "Other" will do quite well here because even just limiting the choice to anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s opens the polling up to quite a few well-loved sitcoms that are not listed such as The Young Ones, Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served, Up Pompeii!, Last of the Summer Wine, Butterflies, The Likely Lads and What Ever Happened to The Likely Lads, 'Allo 'Allo, The Liver Birds, Man About The House, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perin, To The Manor Born, The New Statesman and Only Fools And Horses. (and many more besides).

Anywaay... I've voted "Other: The Goodies" 

Edited by Dean - May 17 2016 at 09:31
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 10:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I sense that "Other" will do quite well here because even just limiting the choice to anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s opens the polling up to quite a few well-loved sitcoms that are not listed such as The Young Ones, Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served, Up Pompeii!, Last of the Summer Wine, Butterflies, The Likely Lads and What Ever Happened to The Likely Lads, 'Allo 'Allo, The Liver Birds, Man About The House, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perin, To The Manor Born, The New Statesman and Only Fools And Horses. (and many more besides).

Anywaay... I've voted "Other: The Goodies" 

The BBC have never repeated The Goodies, and there seems to be some kind of dispute around this. I used to love it.

Voted for Dad's Army from the list, with more than honourable mention for the mad hotelier.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:39
Other..Fawlty Towers

Followed closely by Backadder from the list :-)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:51
I expected a Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister vote, Lazland.

I don't have clear favourite, though the one that started in the 80s that I most recently enjoyed was The New Statesman (with Rik Mayall). I didn't find it a very consistently good show, though, throughout its run. My favourite scene involves a speech given by Alan B'Stard at a conference where he promotes a book called Sex is Wrong.

Favourites in the list have included Yes PM (brilliant show), Porridge, Black Adder and Rising Damp.   The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin is an "other" particular favourite. I think I'll give Rising Damp a vote.

Edited by Logan - May 17 2016 at 11:53
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 12:28
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The BBC have never repeated The Goodies, and there seems to be some kind of dispute around this. I used to love it.
It's certainly odd that they haven't given how popular it was and how long it ran for. Repeats of 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' radio show are on constant rotation on iPlayer Radio so it's not as if the Beeb has some long-running grudge against the Goodies themselves. Given that BBC Worldwide are happy to recycle practically everything else through its UKTV subsidiary (Dave, W and Gold) it's not as if they'd have to sacrifice any of their precious BBC 1 or 2 high-quality prime time (erm... BBC Caravanner of the Year...) to repeat it.
What?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 13:55
Two other missing here...

Doctor in the House (1969-1970) & On the Buses (1969)

My folks used to watch them during dinner and even as a kid I actually thought they were pretty funny as well.

But really Terri...you didn't like Fawlty Towers ?? One of the few people I've met that didn't. And I can say that because... I'VE MET YOU Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 16:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes, given my avatar, a reasonable statement

There is, actually, a reason why not. As brilliant as the tv series were, the books of them were vastly superior, certainly when read through the eyes of a lifelong civil servant. They go into the detail of civil service machinations and manipulations far better than the shows ever did, and come highly recommended if you can get them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 16:56
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes, given my avatar, a reasonable statement

There is, actually, a reason why not. As brilliant as the tv series were, the books of them were vastly superior, certainly when read through the eyes of a lifelong civil servant. They go into the detail of civil service machinations and manipulations far better than the shows ever did, and come highly recommended if you can get them.

Well, given your avatar, it just goes to show that one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. ;)

That makes sense.

My parents use to have those books, and I may have them in the garage.   They downsized and I took quite a few of their books here. My dad was a civil servant and loved the books.   I'm sure I can get them at amazon if I can't find them here.

Off on a tangent, but while those books which I believe are based on a show may be better than the show, with that other wonderful British Prime Ministerial series, House of Cards, which was based on Dobb's book, I found the television adaptation much more enjoyable than the book.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:05
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I should vote for Yes Minister or Blackadder...but I loved The Good Life.

Felicity Kendal... sigh

Heart

Edited by chopper - May 17 2016 at 17:06
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:11
And seeing as Jan Francis is back on the TV in "I want my wife back" (which is quite funny despite the crap title), I'll throw in a mention for "Just Good Friends", which is something else I haven't seen repeated.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:11
I, perhaps oddly, liked Felicity Kendal best in the much reviled, but not by me, Chamomile Lawn.

Edited by Logan - May 17 2016 at 17:14
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:29
Are You Being Served? 
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:58
Do you consider Rumpole of the Bailey a sitcom?  Liked Leo McKern and his supporting cast very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>