Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe best discography?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best discography?!
    Posted: May 31 2016 at 17:25
I have been thinking about doing a poll in which I present you with two ficticious bands and something else occoured to me. Imagine you have two bands, A and B, both with 8 albums in their discographies. And imagine that the rating I'll give them are truly fit for the quality of the albums.

Band A:
1st album - 4.56
2nd album - 4.11
3rd album - 4.46
4th album - 3.99
5th album - 3.12
6th album - 3.25
7th album - 2.76
8th album - 2.75

Band B:
1st album - 3.30
2nd album - 3.49
3rd album - 3.75
4th album - 3.46
5th album - 3.50
6th album - 3.45
7th album - 4.01
8th album - 4.04

Both bands have the same average rating, 3.625. However, it's clear that Band A started off better, with 4 great albums (4+), but then they started declining and eventually their carreer ended with two shameful records (2.76 & 2.75). The Band B started with a normal album (3.30) and after that they have been slowly improving, even achieving 2 great albums (4+). Having all this in consideration  who has the best discography?!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 18:01
In this case averages are irrelevant--  Band A has two albums you rate under 3, but all of band B's albums are 3.30 or higher.  Further, band A started spectacularly and has been declining ever since, leaving a lot of disappointment, whereas Band B is on a seemingly perpetual upswing.

Band B has the best discography.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 18:08
Band A has the better discography. Their first 3 albums are veritable masterpieces, true desert island discs. If I had the choice of owning the complete discography of both bands, I'd pick A just for those first 3 or 4 albums. Who cares if they had one or two duds? When I consider two bands I'll usually compare peak to peak. It looks like B has just released 8 lukewarm or good albums, so there's not really much of a peak to look at. 

I suppose that this is a bit like comparing bands a band like Yes to some obscure symphonic prog band that had a string of 5 decent albums. Sure, Yes may have released some really weak material, but I'd still consider their discography to be superior on the merits of Fragile, Close To The Edge, etc.

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - May 31 2016 at 18:09
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 18:14
Both points of view are good. If one is to follow the course A does from the beginning, he would, as the albums are released, become very disappointed. But, The truth is that no album from B would ever appear on top 100 PA albums. One can not say that about A
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 18:34
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Band A has the better discography. Their first 3 albums are veritable masterpieces, true desert island discs. If I had the choice of owning the complete discography of both bands, I'd pick A just for those first 3 or 4 albums. Who cares if they had one or two duds? When I consider two bands I'll usually compare peak to peak. It looks like B has just released 8 lukewarm or good albums, so there's not really much of a peak to look at. 

I suppose that this is a bit like comparing bands a band like Yes to some obscure symphonic prog band that had a string of 5 decent albums. Sure, Yes may have released some really weak material, but I'd still consider their discography to be superior on the merits of Fragile, Close To The Edge, etc.

No because at the end of the day Band B did not have '8 lukewarm or good albums', they had the higher volume per release of quality material.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 18:36
Originally posted by Hemis Hemis wrote:

Both points of view are good. If one is to follow the course A does from the beginning, he would, as the albums are released, become very disappointed. But, The truth is that no album from B would ever appear on top 100 PA albums. One can not say that about A

Whether a band appears in the PA Top 100 is useless because, 1) the list changes & is in flux, and 2) is wrong.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 19:32
I'd go with band A and focus my listening on the first 4 albums. I have several bands like that in my collection and typically go with A.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 19:38
The question is "who has the best discography".

Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 19:52
Atavachron had me convinced, then Magnum convinced me otherwise, then Atavachron re-convinced me again.  Am I incapable of independent thought?!?!

I guess on reflection I have to go with "neither band has the better discography."  Both are equally good, one just more consistent than the other.  When I think about two bands I looove love love that fit that type of scenario (Yes - case A, Type O Negative - case B) I would in fact lean toward saying they are equal (even though I think Yes' best is much better than Type's best).  Yes, I know, Type's not prog.  Just seemed to fit the profile for me.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 19:56
The Top 100 PA albums is important for some. Having an album there is a great accomplishment, considering there are over 50k albums rated in the site.. It's like the albums everyone here should at least try to listen. I guess, one has to think 'If I had a band, what would be the best course for our albums?'. I honestly can't choose properly. Both answers are good. I guess, maybe, A would be more famous, but B would be a better choice. At least they are getting somewhere. A are just losing themselves due to what appears to be their early success.
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 04:12
Band A easily for me. They released 3 very highly rated albums which meant they had something truly unique going on along with a high general musical quality. However some artists are one trick pony's and are only good at playing to their unique strengths. Once that well of inspiration runs dry they either run out of ideas completely or they try to go into another genre and fail miserably. 

Band B however spent almost their entire career in mediocrity releasing albums that in 100 years will be forgotten about completely. Yes they got better in the end but never to the level of being truly significant. 

Its much better to have a short lived but golden period as those few albums will remain classics for generations to come. Band B however will quickly fall in obscurity and only have the odd cult follower.       
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 05:25
I think LakeGlade12 may have a strong point. Recently (about a year or so) I listened to 'Ok Computer' By Radiohead, mainly due to the comparisons to Dark side. The thing is: after that I've only listened to The Bends and A moon shaped pool. I intend on discover their other albums but just for those 2 (ok and bends) they earned a very special place in my music taste. Oh I heard half of Kid A, it's a 2-3 for me :) so I assume they went downhill! 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 07:45
One could consider taking the median instead of the mean since the distribution doesn't appear to be bell-shaped, in which case Band A has the higher median.

Another possibility of determining who was better is rating the individual songs. One could either take a median of those values or which band has the most songs over a certain rating. That's probably a bit time consuming, but it might afford a bit more granularity.

This can get really complicated, if you want it to be.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:22
Questions like this imply that there has to be an answer but there may be none.

Anyway, personally I would go for A because I care more about the best albums than about the worst. But then this may be changed by more information, for example, band B may have the top 5 songs out of these, even hidden on 3.something albums...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:27
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

One could consider taking the median instead of the mean since the distribution doesn't appear to be bell-shaped, in which case Band A has the higher median.

Another possibility of determining who was better is rating the individual songs. One could either take a median of those values or which band has the most songs over a certain rating. That's probably a bit time consuming, but it might afford a bit more granularity.

This can get really complicated, if you want it to be.

I'd say that whether the distribution is bell-shaped or not doesn't matter at all; what matters is whether one personally values consistency and an upward trend rather than producing a number of top albums and the waning. The median seems to be quite inappropriate here because it doesn't depend on how good the best albums exactly are (and neither on the worst), it just depends on what goes on in the core of mediocrity.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

In this case averages are irrelevant--  Band A has two albums you rate under 3, but all of band B's albums are 3.30 or higher.  Further, band A started spectacularly and has been declining ever since, leaving a lot of disappointment, whereas Band B is on a seemingly perpetual upswing.

Band B has the best discography.

I agree with this.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:59
I'm sorry, but this is silly.  Some questions have absolutely no meaning in the abstract.  What do PA ratings have to do with my personal taste?  They are a useful guide to be sure, but my personal tastes may differ.  Are there not people who enjoy Love Beach? 

If I did not know either band, I would be inclined to look at those peak recordings from Band A first.  I don't need to appreciate an entire discography to admire an outstanding album, even if it was the only one of quality they released.
More heavy prog, please!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 14:04
Someone shoot me.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
gerunding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 18:11
Kanye been killin' it for years.
gerunding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 18:14
Up to, and including G.O.O.D. Music productions, along with TIDAL thangZ, it's more or less an extension of the artist, tantamount to how the more prominent The Mars Volta musicians branched out to make a cohesive library.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>