Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A great album that came out the year you were born
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A great album that came out the year you were born

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 16:26
Probably something SinatraCool

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 16:39

Yeah.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 22:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was born in 1979... so actually there wasn't so much great stuff released that year... at least not that I have found yet. Many good songs... though perhaps not as much as on other years. I guess the only whole album I know I can say is great is The Wall, and indeed I love it... but compared to the few previous albums it's a let-down.

"Fairy Tales" by Mother Gong is a great album from 1979. Unfortunately there is a flaw in the YouTube version of the longest track "Wassilissa" a certain section appears twice while another is left out.

I would mention "Phallus Dei" by Amon Düül 2 as an album that came out the year I was born.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 04 2016 at 22:24

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 22:32
At Newport 1960 - Muddy Waters
Sketches of Spain - Miles Davis
Change of the Century - Ornette Coleman
Joan Baez - Joan Baez
Sings Hank Williams - Johnny Cash

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ten years after Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 00:16
Mary Had a Little Lamb - Thomas Edison

(some days it feels that way if I have to run for a bus)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 03:02
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

I don't believe you. You were born ten years after.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 03:05
Ok, I am telling you my age:

one of my favourite albums of all times! Cool
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 03:08
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

I don't believe you. You were born ten years after.

LOLLOLLOL
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 03:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hah... if you are posting covers like that.. you are old enough to have caught this in its live glory..

so being old does have its advantages I guess LOL

Well I was like in first grade, but 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', 'Gimme Shelter', 'Midnight Rambler', a little bit of Robert Johnson - what more could you ask for?

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:36
the Beatles' "White Album" (which I consider to be a full-fledged prog album).

other albums worth mentioning would have been Procol Harum's "Shine on Brightly", Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida", Pink Floyd's "A Saucerful of Secrets", the Grateful Dead's "Anthem of the Sun" (another full-fledged prog album), Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland" or Steppenwolf's first self-titled album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:39
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hah... if you are posting covers like that.. you are old enough to have caught this in its live glory..

so being old does have its advantages I guess LOL

Well I was like in first grade, but 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', 'Gimme Shelter', 'Midnight Rambler', a little bit of Robert Johnson - what more could you ask for?

it was a great one no doubt!  And I thought you older... LOL Wink.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 07:00
Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 10:31
Bill Haley: Rock around the clock 
But more importantly: the first Fender Strat saw the light of day in this year of 1954.  Smile
TWillG94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWillG94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 17:19
Oasis-Definitely Maybe
Miss Soprenor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Soprenor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 13:34
1997-Yes-Open Your Eyes..........
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 13:59
Originally posted by Miss Soprenor Miss Soprenor wrote:

Interesting choice, in that it is general,y regarded as the weakest of all Yes studio releases.

I would suggest a trip to the Prog Archives top albums of that year to expand your horizons a bit. Simply go to too albums of 2015 on the homepage, then use the filter to choose 1997. You will see classics from Radiohead, IQ, Marillion, The Flower Kings, Peter Hamill, to name but a few. All of them are vastly superior to what was supposed to be a Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood collaboration, but ended being a springboard for renewed Yes activity, and was, in truth, extremely poor.

Do you have any other Yes albums?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 14:21
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Interesting choice, in that it is general,y regarded as the weakest of all Yes studio releases.

All of them are vastly superior to what was supposed to be a Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood collaboration, but ended being a springboard for renewed Yes activity, and was, in truth, extremely poor.

You're weak, and your taste is extremely poor. I can think of at least four other Yes albums that suck compared to Open Your Eyes. Leave the 19-year-old enthusiast alone.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 14:43
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

All of them are vastly superior to what was supposed to be a Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood collaboration, but ended being a springboard for renewed Yes activity, and was, in truth, extremely poor.

You're weak, and your taste is extremely poor. I can think of at least four other Yes albums that suck compared to Open Your Eyes. Leave the 19-year-old enthusiast alone.

You have selectively quoted my post. I would have thought it fairly obvious that my entire post was not intended to harass a 19 year old enthusiast, but to provide her with my considered opinion and advice on how to expand her horizons.

Don't be so f**king rude.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:02

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

You have selectively quoted my post. I would have thought it fairly obvious that my entire post was not intended to harass a 19 year old enthusiast, but to provide her with my considered opinion and advice on how to expand her horizons.

Don't be so f**king rude.
This last line is objectionably inappropriate. Good job, Lazlo.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 11:35
ITCOTCK of course..

1969?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>