Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A great album that came out the year you were born
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A great album that came out the year you were born

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 15:26
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Im going to cheat slightly, Coltrane - A Love Supreme was recorded in 1964 and released in Feb 65, otherwise I'll take Mingus - Mingus x5

So, were you recorded in 64 and released in 65?LOL
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The film and soundtrack to the film of Rogers and Hammerstein's South Pacific.

Miles Davis' Milestones?

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk?

Buddy Holly Buddy Holly?

Sonny Rollins Freedom Suite?

Tito Puente Dance Mania?

Frank Sinatra Come Fly with Me?

I don't know! I give up! What's the right answer???

we clearly were born the same year, but I'm going with Mary O'Hara's Songs of Ireland.

Who is Mary O'Hara and how the heck do you know her? Was she a blood relative?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardonite Calamity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 17:40
1999: (I know it's not prog) Parachutes by Coldplay

Metropolis pt.2- Dream Theater

Besides that, there's not much good albums from 99'
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 20:16
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Miss Soprenor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Soprenor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 16:13
Lol "19 year old enthusiast"
It was honestly the first 1997 prog album I thought of. Not one of my favorites by any means.
In order for me to actually have a "choice" of a prog album, I would have to be older.
I've never really listened to much "prog" past the 70s though Dream Theater is okay.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Soprenor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 16:21
Lol "19 year old enthusiast"
It was honestly the first 1997 prog album I thought of. Not one of my favorites by any means.
In order for me to actually have a "choice" of a prog album, I would have to be older.
I've never really listened to much "prog" past the 70s though Dream Theater is okay.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Soprenor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 16:41
Okay I take that back. Peter Gabriel after the 70s I adore
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 19:35
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 19:59
Revolver
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 22:12
Horse Stories (Dirty Three) - 1996
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 02:31
Walkin' and Cookin' 'Round About Midnight with Bags' Groove in 1957 witnessed the Birth of Cool that was Miles Ahead of any other year before or since. However, since I have no love of jazz and find brass instruments to be disagreeable that means little to me thou' it's nice that Mr Davis recognised my birth with a suitable album title. 
What?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 04:31
Sgt Pepper's Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 04:32
1951. Cool Click on the X.

Edited by SteveG - August 09 2016 at 04:33
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 18:32
Animals by Pink Floyd is 39 years old this year.Wink
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 11:02
I was born in the year when Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound and Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night were out. Remarkable year.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

I was born in the year when Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound and Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night were out. Remarkable year.

indeed!
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 12:56
Beatles  Abbey Road
David Bowie David Bowie
Al Stewart Love Chronicles

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 02:30
UFO - Phenomenon

:)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 04:01
There are many, but Khan - Space Shanty !!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 04:10
There are so many, canīt name just one:
Dark Side of the Moon, Selling England by the Pound, a Passion Play, Larks Tongues, Heartbreaker (from Free), Billion Dollar Babies, Ooh La La (from Faces), Space Ritual, Yessongs, Flying Teapot, Tubular Bells, Bananamour, Razamanaz (from Nazareth), Goats Head Soup, Cosmic Slop, Mott, Tres Hombres, New York Dolls, (pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd), Brothers and Sisters, Berlin, Future Days, Faust IV, For Girls who grow Plump, Quadrophenia, Houses Of the Holy, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Angelīs Egg, Raw Power...

I am still thinking 1971 was better year in prog and music commonly, but my birthyear was also quite a year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>