This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milk
    Posted: June 06 2016 at 06:33
anything less than 2% is just colored water.  also, gtfo with those fake milks.

Time always wins.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 06:04
Voted 2%. Goat is a no-op since it has a remarkable lack of bovinity.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 05:28
multiple voting should be possible here. I voted "whole" but could also have given my vote to "almond", "goat" or "other" (sheep, camel, buffalo, strawberry, banana or hazelnut)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 04:52
I'm surprised the correct option is winning.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 22:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

One percent. Because after my heart attack, the doctor said I should use skim milk. But I just can't bring myself to drink that white water stuff.

You could try organic.  In my opinion, it tastes much better, even the skim.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 21:16
One percent. Because after my heart attack, the doctor said I should use skim milk. But I just can't bring myself to drink that white water stuff.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 20:27
I prefer the alternative brand "Schmilk". Has all the ingredients of milk but with none of the taste!
http://fryingpanmedia.com
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I should point out, I'm not talking about just a bit of milk to add to Coffee, I'm talking about milk to DRINK with cereal, cookies, or whatever.  So at least a nice tall  glass per day. 
I never drink raw milk. I am of the generation of UK children who were given free milk at school every morning and the experience put me off milk as a drink for life. Since they did not have refrigerators large enough to store that much milk it was served at a sickly warm temperature regardless of the weather outside (in winter it was put on the radiators to warm it up) - to this today the smell of warm milk just turns my stomach. For me milk is just an ingredient on route to becoming something more palatable and pleasurable.

I will say I never got used to British milk.  It always tasted dreadful to me, I only ever used it on cereal or in tea and even then it was difficult to cope with.  I hated the way the top was creamy and the bottom tasted like whey rather than milk.  Even mixing it didn't help.

Really appreciating my cup of British tea made with American milk right now.

In order to comply with the questionable requirement to produce milk with a fixed percentage of fat (something a cow is incapable of doing itself) British milk is now manufactured in exactly the same way as milk produced in your American chemical factories so the cream does not separate out and it tastes (depressingly) exactly the same (bland, homogenised & flavourless) ... but when that is what you are use to then anything that actually tastes of something will seem pretty weird. [this message was brought to you by a Brit who takes umbrage at the used of the superlative "dreadful" used by someone who has already admitted that to them half-fat milk was too creamy and tasted, and I quote, 'ugh'] Geek

You may take all the umbrage you like, but that won't make British milk in the 1980s taste any better.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:32
Voted for skim as that is what we use and drink at home (its all the wife will drink or use). 
However, my brother in law is a grade A dairy farmer in the states (hardest damn working person I have ever known, not a corporate farmer, still family owned and run) and now and then he will scoop a gallon or so of milk from the tank when he has to test and/or check the quality of the milk.   After a few checks before it gets picked up by the trucks to go to the companies who pasteurize or do whatever they do to it for markets and if I am up there at the time, we get to drink it (not warm of course).  It is thick and rich and awesome.  By the way, the barn cats love the hell out of that stuff when he puts some down for them, funny to watch LOL.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 17:08
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I should point out, I'm not talking about just a bit of milk to add to Coffee, I'm talking about milk to DRINK with cereal, cookies, or whatever.  So at least a nice tall  glass per day. 
I never drink raw milk. I am of the generation of UK children who were given free milk at school every morning and the experience put me off milk as a drink for life. Since they did not have refrigerators large enough to store that much milk it was served at a sickly warm temperature regardless of the weather outside (in winter it was put on the radiators to warm it up) - to this today the smell of warm milk just turns my stomach. For me milk is just an ingredient on route to becoming something more palatable and pleasurable.

I will say I never got used to British milk.  It always tasted dreadful to me, I only ever used it on cereal or in tea and even then it was difficult to cope with.  I hated the way the top was creamy and the bottom tasted like whey rather than milk.  Even mixing it didn't help.

In order to comply with the questionable requirement to produce milk with a fixed percentage of fat (something a cow is incapable of doing itself) British milk is now manufactured in exactly the same way as milk produced in your American chemical factories so the cream does not separate out and it tastes (depressingly) exactly the same (bland, homogenised & flavourless) ... but when that is what you are use to then anything that actually tastes of something will seem pretty weird. [this message was brought to you by a Brit who takes umbrage at the used of the superlative "dreadful" used by someone who has already admitted that to them half-fat milk was too creamy and tasted, and I quote, 'ugh'] Geek
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 13:37

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 13:25
white russian
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 09:20
I switched to almond milk years ago, after finding soy milk too gritty. Now, after getting used to the substitute, I can't go back to dairy milk because it tastes spoiled to me--I can taste what it's going to be like when it goes sour even when it's fresh. I never drink it anyway--I only use it for tea/coffee or cereal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 09:07
Blind Russians... one of my favorites of my lost years as bartender,barfly and all around fall down drunk
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 09:04
I prefer the taste of whole milk but my wife usually buys 1% for the house.....so-called health reasons.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:52
this is the only suitable song for this poll

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:50

Something along those lines for me too.  As a kid I we fell on some - let's say hard times, for a few years.  Uncle Sam took care of us with loads of government-issued nutritional sustenance, which unfortunately included bowel-impacting peanut butter, bread you could shave your beard with, and this stuff:

BTW milk is not generally served in lumps, something I didn't learn until things got a bit better financially.  Needless to say I never really developed a taste for the stuff after that ...

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:15

However, I do like me a milkshake made with a huge scoop of dairy ice-cream - preferably just vanilla though adding a fresh banana is just as good (especially hit with a shot of banana liqueur and a drizzle of maple syrup... healthy this is not). For a while I was hooked on shakes made with sherbet and liquorice ... 
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 04:51
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Other.  

Don't really drink milk much except with the occasional bowl of cereal or oatmeal, but do loves me some cheese.  Cheddar, Brie, Swiss, Bleu, Cottage, feta, Edam, Colby, Munster ... pretty much any coagulated milk that doesn't make me sick.

I accidentally ate some non-dairy vegan "cheese" once... it's not something I'd do twice. Dead
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 04:47
Are all watery white emulsions that bear a passing visual resemblance to mammalian milk now classified as milk? If I mix a teaspoon of mayonnaise in a glass of water can I call that mayo milk? What about Ouzo and water, can I call that milk too? Try chalk dust or talc mixed with water - full of natural calcium for strong healthy bones.

So.. take a bowl of oatmeal and add water. Wait several hours then strain off the resulting oat-juice, discard the oat mush solids and then further filter the oat-juice to make oat "milk". Now take a fresh bowl of oatmeal and add your oat "milk". Consume and (presumably) enjoy... Is it not quicker, easier and less wasteful just to eat the first bowl of oatmeal and water?

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>