Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEuropeans' opinions on UK's EU Referendum...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 09:13
I think the 'leave' vote was compelling based on the demographics: in Britain proper (I will try not to figure out what the hell Scotland wants, because it voted to stay in Great Britain, but also wants to remain part of EU), only a majority of voters in London, the super seaport and home to G.B.'s commerce voted to 'remain'. There's a lot of regular, non-degreed working folk in the rest of the country who obviously believed this whole effort to globalize is not helping them but making things worse. The same can be said in the U.S. regarding NAFTA and other trade deals that are globalist in conception. Good paying manufacturing jobs have been fleeing these shores just so Third World workers (or the Chinese) can be less underpaid than they were previously, but gutting the American working middle-class in the process. I assume the process was the same in Britain and Wales (pardon me if my assumption is incorrect).

A BBC analyst (I was watching the returns on the Beeb Thursday night) made a perceptive point when he said that voters were rejecting the "experts" who wanted the 'remain' vote, because these were the same experts that screwed working folk over in the 2008 Depression and who wanted the EU thing in the first place. In Britain, like in the U.S., the experts escaped losing pensions, retirement plans and their life savings in 2008. The experts got bailed-out or were never in real danger of descending into paupery, but everyone else got robbed. So I can sympathize.

The immigrant issue may be rightly considered racist; however, from commentary I've seen from Great Britain (and not the Farage camp), there is a genuine concern about flooding the country with Muslims, in part because of Germany's inane willingness to transport whole Islamic countries to Europe. 

Given the inability of European governments to adequately ferret out the alleged "bad" Muslims from the supposed "good" Muslims, and the obvious issues of what occurs in areas that become Muslim majorities (and is there really any Islamic country one would want live in if you're Christian, atheist, gay, liberal, Buddhist, Hindu, Rastafarian, secularist or a woman?), the British populace seems to see the EU stance on immigration and free borders as an issue (free movement, once a nice idea, but now in practice unworkable thanks to Islam), and this caused enormous voter disaffection. 

Whether that is right or wrong or racist doesn't really matter, because it is a fear born out of simply watching horrific events unfold on the news every day, and it perhaps has not been discussed by politicians in a meaningful manner, and simply foisted on people who feel they have no say-so in the matter. Evidently, the Brexit vote was the only way for voters to voice this displeasure.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 09:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Poor Winston must be rolling over.

Laughing probably. [Churchill was the right person to be in charge during wartime but not the right person to have in charge in peacetime.]

Despite owing quite a bit to London and Winston, That's what De Gaulle did in 63 and 67 (tha latter is less well-known) ... so they had to wait until he died to get in... Soooooo, more than WC, CDG is turning over in his grave to tell us "I told you so".

BTW, as an aside, the anarchistic Charlie Hebdo is name after CDG... Before that, they were called Kara Kiri - le Journal Bęte et Méchant and was written by some witers who did the barricades in May 68. But once De Gaulle died in 70, they literally applauded and censorsip closed the, dow... They came as Charlie
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

This Brexit (if it does ever happen) will only be effective in two years' time, so there is plenty of time for England (not the UK) to wake up and realize that its low class should simply not be allowed to have a matter in politics (check the link below for the stats by regions & by income)

I understand where you're coming from, but isn't this the same as saying democracy doesn't work? (I'm not saying it does, I'm just asking). Also, isn't this saying only the privileged ones should have a say? 

The thing is that a good deal of those "leavers" (Leave voters) are generally dole-recipients that haven't worked for decades (and looking quite like the husband in that "Keeping Appearances" sitcom), not knowing a thing about the EU and its benefit... So this was mostly because of the fear of them losing the job they haven't got (and will never have, since they're totally un-employable anymore) to Eastern european, when the immigration that forbade them to find a job was comming from the Commonwealth for decades before that... In other words, many of these "leavers are parasite and leaches.

But them idiots are tooooo stoooopid to realize that, too busy sipping in Farrage's barrage of insults and hatred served in a beer can, while liking Boris' dick.

Sooo you really think low-lifes like those deserve a full vote, like the people contributing actively to society??Confused
Personally, I'm not so sure...

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:21
Since it's not a choice of persons (politicians) where a simple majority is needed but instead a choice of government policy then a qualified majority should be needed IMO. At least 60% of the voters with a turnout of 70% minimum, maybe more.

Edited by Atkingani - June 25 2016 at 10:58
Guigo

~~~~~~
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:22
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Since it's not a choice of persons (politicians) where a simple majority is needed but instead a choice of government policy then a qualified majority should be needed IMO. At least 60% of the voters witha turnout of 70% minimum, maybe more.

Sort of what I proposed too in the other thread on whether democracy works. Simple majority is not adequate to represent what the people at large want in this case. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:37
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Since it's not a choice of persons (politicians) where a simple majority is needed but instead a choice of government policy then a qualified majority should be needed IMO. At least 60% of the voters witha turnout of 70% minimum, maybe more.

Sort of what I proposed too in the other thread on whether democracy works. Simple majority is not adequate to represent what the people at large want in this case. 
That is the pretty much the numbers used on the petition for a 2nd Referendum that currently has 1,753,217 signatures:

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

...Looks like everyone has signed the wrong petition to me as this cannot be applied retroactively. For this to be of any use they should have created and signed it 6 months ago. Some people simply haven't got a clue.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:40

Despite owing quite a bit to London and Winston, That's what De Gaulle did in 63 and 67 (tha latter is less well-known) ... so they had to wait until he died to get in... Soooooo, more than WC, CDG is turning over in his grave to tell us "I told you so".
Meh, Winston Spencer Churchill and Charles de Gaulle are both dead. We buried them and they should remain dead and buried.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That is the pretty much the numbers used on the petition for a 2nd Referendum that currently has 1,753,217 signatures:

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

...Looks like everyone has signed the wrong petition to me as this cannot be applied retroactively. For this to be of any use they should have created and signed it 6 months ago. Some people simply haven't got a clue.

Oh I agree completely.  This would be a case of locking the stable door after the horse has been bolted.  Besides which may possibly fuel more resentment of London.  "Didn't turn up to vote and now they want to disobey the referendum".  I don't know for what reason exactly but it looks like people underestimated the possibility of a leave vote.  They didn't, as I pointed out earlier, factor in how voter turnout works - the side that wants out will be more particular about voting than the one that only wants status quo.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:53

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

This Brexit (if it does ever happen) will only be effective in two years' time, so there is plenty of time for England (not the UK) to wake up and realize that its low class should simply not be allowed to have a matter in politics (check the link below for the stats by regions & by income)

I understand where you're coming from, but isn't this the same as saying democracy doesn't work? (I'm not saying it does, I'm just asking). Also, isn't this saying only the privileged ones should have a say? 

The thing is that a good deal of those "leavers" (Leave voters) are generally dole-recipients that haven't worked for decades (and looking quite like the husband in that "Keeping Appearances" sitcom), not knowing a thing about the EU and its benefit... So this was mostly because of the fear of them losing the job they haven't got (and will never have, since they're totally un-employable anymore) to Eastern european, when the immigration that forbade them to find a job was comming from the Commonwealth for decades before that... In other words, many of these "leavers are parasite and leaches.

But them idiots are tooooo stoooopid to realize that, too busy sipping in Farrage's barrage of insults and hatred served in a beer can, while liking Boris' dick.

Sooo you really think low-lifes like those deserve a full vote, like the people contributing actively to society??Confused
Personally, I'm not so sure...

If this is meant to be a joke........If not

I despair.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 11:01
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

(and is there really any Islamic country one would want live in if you're Christian, atheist, gay, liberal, Buddhist, Hindu, Rastafarian, secularist or a woman? 

Bangladesh used not to be so bad for Hindus but lately it seems to be turning towards a fundamentalist direction.  And let's not forget Bangladesh is being made over as an Islamic nation.  It used to be just one half of Bengal and is therefore very much a part of the Indian sub continental culture.  I have friends living in Malaysia and they seem to be ok. But these are the most moderate examples.  There are also Indians (Hindu Indians to be specific) living in the Middle East who do so by giving up a good part of their way of life to adapt to the ME culture.  If they wanted to be able to wear their Hinduism on their sleeve, that would be problematic, yes (probably also the case in Malaysia, come to think of it).

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 12:39
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

You may laugh at the balanced budget plans, but once Greece comes out of the other side of this, it'll be clean as a whistle. Just a shame that most Greeks will have committed suicide by then.

Does anyone have any recent suicide rate figures for Greece? Probably not. No budget for statistics, I fear.

Except 1: I don't think Greece is coming out of this, 2: There is no realistic way they are gunna achieve a balanced budget 3: the process of austerity/trying to achieve a balance the way the EU wants will quite literally ensure the county never escapes their hell (I am not sure if this is on purpose or simply they don't know better) 4: it's very hard to maintain such a thing, which is why it rarely happens and only for brief periods. Heck, I believe Spain was the only EZ country that actually consistently met the target deficit/debt goals. Germany now is managing but they have the advantage of basically using the EU as their personal trade bloc to export their way to growth. 5: Nah you really dont want balanced budgets, except if things are operating at peak capacity. 

I apologize for getting off topic (really this referendum opens up a lot of issues to discuss but still sorry for derailing) so we can discuss in another post why balanced budget ideas and etc are unrealistic and dangerous. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 12:46

(and is there really any Islamic country one would want live in if you're Christian, atheist, gay, liberal, Buddhist, Hindu, Rastafarian, secularist or a woman? 

Bangladesh used not to be so bad for Hindus but lately it seems to be turning towards a fundamentalist direction.  And let's not forget Bangladesh is being made over as an Islamic nation.  It used to be just one half of Bengal and is therefore very much a part of the Indian sub continental culture.  I have friends living in Malaysia and they seem to be ok. But these are the most moderate examples.  There are also Indians (Hindu Indians to be specific) living in the Middle East who do so by giving up a good part of their way of life to adapt to the ME culture.  If they wanted to be able to wear their Hinduism on their sleeve, that would be problematic, yes (probably also the case in Malaysia, come to think of it).

That is exactly my point, RT. In an Islamic state you run the risk of insulting, provoking, offending or infuriating Muslims with even the most simplest things we take for granted in secular societies.

Take for instance how the Germans have had to brown-nose Erdogan while stepping all over German citizens' right to free speech (I guess free speech is not covered under EU bylaws). Yes, Erdogan, a portrait of a supposed "moderate" Muslim politician. That is, until he starts acting like Muhammad himself, proclaiming political fatwas against anyone printing a cartoon documenting his Turkish buffoonery.

Radical Islamists in Turkey attacked a Radiohead party at a local record store and beat the sh*t out of people with pipes and bottles for simply wanting to hear the new album. No one was arrested. But when people protested the unwarranted violence in this alleged democratic country, they were met by police with water cannons.

Erdogan's comments were telling in regards to the attack: "Using brute force to interfere is as wrong as organising an event spilling onto the street during Ramadan."

Because, of course, it's more important that we don't offend the Muslim majority than it is assuring secularists have the freedom to live their lives without Islam. Or drink a beer on a holiday for a religion that is not your own.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 12:53

I think the 'leave' vote was compelling based on the demographics: in Britain proper (I will try not to figure out what the hell Scotland wants, because it voted to stay in Great Britain, but also wants to remain part of EU), only a majority of voters in London, the super seaport and home to G.B.'s commerce voted to 'remain'. There's a lot of regular, non-degreed working folk in the rest of the country who obviously believed this whole effort to globalize is not helping them but making things worse. The same can be said in the U.S. regarding NAFTA and other trade deals that are globalist in conception. Good paying manufacturing jobs have been fleeing these shores just so Third World workers (or the Chinese) can be less underpaid than they were previously, but gutting the American working middle-class in the process. I assume the process was the same in Britain and Wales (pardon me if my assumption is incorrect).

A BBC analyst (I was watching the returns on the Beeb Thursday night) made a perceptive point when he said that voters were rejecting the "experts" who wanted the 'remain' vote, because these were the same experts that screwed working folk over in the 2008 Depression and who wanted the EU thing in the first place. In Britain, like in the U.S., the experts escaped losing pensions, retirement plans and their life savings in 2008. The experts got bailed-out or were never in real danger of descending into paupery, but everyone else got robbed. So I can sympathize.

The immigrant issue may be rightly considered racist; however, from commentary I've seen from Great Britain (and not the Farage camp), there is a genuine concern about flooding the country with Muslims, in part because of Germany's inane willingness to transport whole Islamic countries to Europe. 

Given the inability of European governments to adequately ferret out the alleged "bad" Muslims from the supposed "good" Muslims, and the obvious issues of what occurs in areas that become Muslim majorities (and is there really any Islamic country one would want live in if you're Christian, atheist, gay, liberal, Buddhist, Hindu, Rastafarian, secularist or a woman?), the British populace seems to see the EU stance on immigration and free borders as an issue (free movement, once a nice idea, but now in practice unworkable thanks to Islam), and this caused enormous voter disaffection. 

Whether that is right or wrong or racist doesn't really matter, because it is a fear born out of simply watching horrific events unfold on the news every day, and it perhaps has not been discussed by politicians in a meaningful manner, and simply foisted on people who feel they have no say-so in the matter. Evidently, the Brexit vote was the only way for voters to voice this displeasure.

I heard, any of our UK friends can confirm or deny, lots of "white working class people many of which have probably not seen a migrant worker" voted for leave, and seems there was both conservative and labor support. 
Interesting, really does sound like Trump honestly. All the same things: loss of good paying working class jobs, anger at government ineptitude, anger at immigrants especially muslims, anger at "elites" who as you say get bailed out and coddled while telling everyone else what to do...often which means accepting austerity and etc

Anyway, seems you are right, if this is accurate..."leavers" may already be backtracking a bit. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending I've read about the spike in google searches about what the brexit may mean for their country and even what the EU is. Hate to say...it does seem that many people may have voted exit simply out of frustration/protest fueled by politicians using it for their gain. Until the unexpected happened: they actually voted exit, now a collective "oh sh*t" is happening.

No doubt many do sincerely believe it's been a bad deal and poorly done and they just want out. I do sincerely understand, it reminds me a lot of Sanders here, but IDK...ultimately you have to reform, can't take a sledgehammer to it all, a la Trump or the "brexit" 

Edited by JJLehto - June 25 2016 at 12:55
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 12:55
@ Dark Elf: I'm sorry to say that I also find Erdogan and Turkey very amusing.

It's hilarious the way Erdogan is violating democratic and western principles, while at the same time pressing for membership in the EU. Personally I hope he stays in power for a long time, because the EU needs a bit of comic relief in the form of its own little North Korea.

Edited by npjnpj - June 25 2016 at 13:00
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 13:07

Yeah, it does feel kinda weird that an action of this gravity, with such potential implications, can be decided by 52% of the population. 
I get that's democracy but yeah does seem like maybe something this massive should be more than a simple majority vote. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 13:18

An excerpt from the German constitution (article 16a):Article 16a

[Right of asylum]

(1) Persons persecuted on political grounds shall have the right of asylum.

(2) Paragraph (1) of this Article may not be invoked by a person who enters the federal territory from a member state of the European Communities or from another third state in which application of the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms is assured. The states outside the European Communities to which the criteria of the first sentence of this paragraph apply shall be specified by a law requiring the consent of the Bundesrat. In the cases specified in the first sentence of this paragraph, measures to terminate an applicant’s stay may be implemented without regard to any legal challenge that may have been instituted against them.

(3) By a law requiring the consent of the Bundesrat, states may be specified in which, on the basis of their laws, enforcement practices and general political conditions, it can be safely concluded that neither political persecution nor inhuman or degrading punishment or treatment exists. It shall be presumed that a foreigner from such a state is not persecuted, unless he presents evidence justifying the conclusion that, contrary to this presumption, he is persecuted on political grounds.

(4) In the cases specified by paragraph (3) of this Article and in other cases that are plainly unfounded or considered to be plainly unfounded, the implementation of measures to terminate an applicant’s stay may be suspended by a court only if serious doubts exist as to their legality; the scope of review may be limited, and tardy objections may be disregarded. Details shall be determined by a law.

(5) Paragraphs (1) to (4) of this Article shall not preclude the conclusion of international agreements of member states of the European Communities with each other or with those third states which, with due regard for the obligations arising from the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, whose enforcement must be assured in the contracting states, adopt rules conferring jurisdiction to decide on applications for asylum, including the reciprocal recognition of asylum decisions.

This is already a watered-down version of the original article; many people (including me) would have preferred to stick to the original article. Due to historic reasons Germany has a special responsibility for all kinds of fugitives.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 13:54
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

[Right of asylum]

This is already a watered-down version of the original article; many people (including me) would have preferred to stick to the original article. Due to historic reasons Germany has a special responsibility for all kinds of fugitives.

Very noble, Friede. Without a shred of common sense, given the current circumstances, but noble nonetheless.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 14:35

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

[Right of asylum]

Very noble, Friede. Without a shred of common sense, given the current circumstances, but noble nonetheless.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" (Albert Einstein).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 14:42
^ "Hell isn't merely paved with good intentions; it's walled and roofed with them. Yes, and furnished too." 
-- Aldous Huxley
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 14:49

Let me first say that I support helping any refugees, and they have my deepest sympathy. Anyone in danger should receive help, regardless.

From what I have been able to observe for several years in Germany now, it seems that most decisions of the conservative German government are based on purely financial considerations. Social considerations have ceased playing any role whatsoever.

Applied to the refugee problem, this means that I have the strong suspicion that the strong influx of immigrants is deliberate, because after an initial outlay for basic education and integration, Germany has got itself over a million new taxpayers. Any social consequences seem to play no role at all. I sense a strong case of Schäuble-rism at work yet again.

Refugees in Germany have to visit a number of mandatory integration courses, which seems strange, because at the same time the government has informed the public (and the refugees themselves) that they will be going home after the crises have passed. They even mention a time span of three years, although heaven knows where they got that optimistic number from.

Now, when the refugees arrived, it would have been fine had they been distributed evenly over the European countries, as probably should have happened. But basically all other countries refused. After all, Germany had welcomed them all with open arms in bulk, why would they be needed? Let them cope, the silly buggers. And additionally, why should Angela Merkel be able to dictate to other countries unilaterally, how many refugees they should accept to even out the balance? Other countries are slowly having enough of her dictatorial and overbearing methods.

I find it difficult to attribute any of this to any naivety on Angela Merkel’s part. Naive she's not, no way. So basically, I think that almost all refugees immigrating into Germany was probably intended for fiscal reasons.

I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, but for the life of me I can't find any other explanation, and I'm unwilling to accept incompetence or pure arrogance on the German government's part on this issue. They’re just too damn smart for that.

Edited by npjnpj - June 25 2016 at 14:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>