FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnjoyment, Musicianship, Artistic Merit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enjoyment, Musicianship, Artistic Merit
    Posted: June 13 2016 at 22:44
I've been thinking about the three different qualities of prog rock music. It's probably not as obvious as some may think, so a discussion is gonna start!

Enjoyment, Musicianship, Artistic Merit

An "Essential" prog rock album has all three elements covered. Red, Wish You Were Here, Close to the Edge, all of them are 1) enjoyable to listen to, 2) have a high level of musicianship, and 3) have a high degree of artistic merit.

But in most albums, you only get one or two of these qualities. So let's look at them one by one.

Enjoyment - How much pleasure you get from listening to it.
It's a subjective quality, but it's also the easiest to define and measure. You feel happy when you listen to album A. You feel boring when you listen to album B. It's unambiguous and clear.

Musicianship - Instrumental skills, compositional skills, vocal abilities, etc.
This one is a little harder to measure. But in most cases it's still very clear. Steven Wilson is clearly a more proficient guitar player than, say, Frank Zappa. (If he's not, just use a different example.)

Artistic Merit - now here's a quality that has nothing to do with the other two
As prog lovers, we have all heard albums that 1) we don't find enjoyable to listen to, 2) don't have a particularly high level of musicianship, but 3) somehow have that "artistic" feeling surrounding them.

Some people might say, "if it's not enjoyable, why do we care". But you have to admit there's a real difference between "an album I just don't like" and "an album I don't like, but appreciate as a work of modern art".

For me White Noise's An Electric Storm, VdGG's Godbluff, and every GY!BE album fall into this category.  I mean Godspeed You! Black Emperor don't strike anyone as amazing guitarists or drummers or anything but they just sound like they have a higher degree of artistic merit than most bands.

IMO "Artistic Merit" is impossible to define and measure, but you can't deny it's there.

So if anyone's interested, I have a few questions.

• Do you think you can appreciate the artistic merit of an album, without enjoying it at all?
  • Do you think you can listen to music that has a high level of Musicianship, but doesn't give you any pleasure? (Gorguts - Obscura comes to mind)
  • Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in music? 
  • Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in progressive music? Is it a good thing that prog musicians can have other, different goals in mind when they make music?
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 01:16
Do you think you can appreciate the artistic merit of an album, without enjoying it at all? - Definitely.

Do you think you can listen to music that has a high level of Musicianship, but doesn't give you any pleasure? (Gorguts - Obscura comes to mind) - Not for long.  This is my problem with Dream Theater.

Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in music? - No but it may be the most important for me.

Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in progressive music? - No

Is it a good thing that prog musicians can have other, different goals in mind when they make music? - Yes.  Different people have different ways of enjoying music.  Some want their music to be fun, others to have a beat they like, others (like me) to change often so it doesn't bore them, and others are very much looking for strong musicianship or that art experience (the art experience is very important for me, too).  I'm glad prog musicians have different goals so there's more variety out there.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 04:13
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

Do you think you can appreciate the artistic merit of an album, without enjoying it at all? - Definitely.

Do
you think you can listen to music that has a high level of
Musicianship, but doesn't give you any pleasure? (Gorguts - Obscura
comes to mind) - Not for long.  This is my problem with Dream Theater.

Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in music? - No but it may be the most important for me.

Is
"Enjoyment" the only important quality in progressive music? - No

Is it a
good thing that prog musicians can have other, different goals in mind
when they make music? - Yes.  Different people have different ways of enjoying music.  Some want their music to be fun, others to have a beat they like, others (like me) to change often so it doesn't bore them, and others are very much looking for strong musicianship or that art experience (the art experience is very important for me, too).  I'm glad prog musicians have different goals so there's more variety out there.

Very well said, and my thoughts exactly. Must of us rate music according to our taste, meaning the enjoyment we get when we listen to it, and rate if good or bad without considering the effort it takes to write a song; in fact, must of us don't even know how to play an instrument, so our judgment is mostly based on our personal taste. Nothing bad about it, but if you are a musician, you tend to appreciate more the level of effort it takes to write a song, to come up with a good instrumental solo, to write some interesting lyrics, etc. Just a few have the undestanding that even if we don't like it, the music is not bad, nor the artists are not accomplished composers, singers, playes, etc. To give an example, I don't like the Mars Volta, but I don't deny the fact that they are quite accomplished and good musicians. Since I don't enjoy their music, I don't listen to it very much, but really respect their accomplishment.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 04:55
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I've been thinking about the three different qualities of prog rock music. It's probably not as obvious as some may think, so a discussion is gonna start!

Enjoyment, Musicianship, Artistic Merit

An "Essential" prog rock album has all three elements covered. Red, Wish You Were Here, Close to the Edge, all of them are 1) enjoyable to listen to, 2) have a high level of musicianship, and 3) have a high degree of artistic merit.

But in most albums, you only get one or two of these qualities. So let's look at them one by one.

Enjoyment - How much pleasure you get from listening to it.
It's a subjective quality, but it's also the easiest to define and measure. You feel happy when you listen to album A. You feel boring when you listen to album B. It's unambiguous and clear.

This one is a little harder to measure. But in most cases it's still very clear. Steven Wilson is clearly a more proficient guitar player than, say, Frank Zappa. (If he's not, just use a different example.)

Artistic Merit - now here's a quality that has nothing to do with the other two
As prog lovers, we have all heard albums that 1) we don't find enjoyable to listen to, 2) don't have a particularly high level of musicianship, but 3) somehow have that "artistic" feeling surrounding them.

Some people might say, "if it's not enjoyable, why do we care". But you have to admit there's a real difference between "an album I just don't like" and "an album I don't like, but appreciate as a work of modern art".

For me White Noise's An Electric Storm, VdGG's Godbluff, and every GY!BE album fall into this category.  I mean Godspeed You! Black Emperor don't strike anyone as amazing guitarists or drummers or anything but they just sound like they have a higher degree of artistic merit than most bands.

IMO "Artistic Merit" is impossible to define and measure, but you can't deny it's there.

So if anyone's interested, I have a few questions.

• Do you think you can appreciate the artistic merit of an album, without enjoying it at all?
  • Do you think you can listen to music that has a high level of Musicianship, but doesn't give you any pleasure? (Gorguts - Obscura comes to mind)
  • Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in music? 
  • Is "Enjoyment" the only important quality in progressive music? Is it a good thing that prog musicians can have other, different goals in mind when they make music?

You forgot one quality which I merit more than anything else: Originality. By that I mean "not being run-of-the-mill". Many albums of the late 60s and early 70s, prog or not, have this quality, which is why I love this period.

Most albums of today, however, do in my opinion lack that quality, simply because "more originality" usually means "less commercial potential" to the producers. There are of course exceptions, but they are few.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 06:32
Enjoyment, first, second and last.

Artistic merit? Musicianship? Well, I know King Crimson has amazing artistic merit and the musicianship is very good. But the fact that I get no enjoyment from, and cannot abide listening to most of it, means that no matter how clever it is, I don't listen to it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:45
Enjoyability is of course a highly subjective notion, and doesn't always correlate with musicianship or artistic merit. The latter two are somewhat more intersubjective but still difficult to gauge. Also, musicianship and artistic merit don't always go hand in hand. It also depends on the kind of musicianship. There are many pieces of technical metal that are fiendishly difficult to perform, but have little to no artistic value and will soon be forgotten, like the excesses of 19th-century virtuoso music now mercifully forgotten. A masterful composition that makes good use of its resources, on the other hand, need not be difficult to play. Think of Pink Floyd, whose instrumental skills were good but not super-spectacular, and nevertheless made excellent music. (An example from classical music would be the C major prelude from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book I by J. S. Bach. Easy to play, but ingenious.)

And yes, I can recognize musicianship and artistic value in music I don't enjoy.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:28
Another thread where we attempt to 'over analyze' the music.....LOL
I never think in terms like those above....if I like it ...I like it....period.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:35
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Actually it is mostly not clear unless you happen to play said instrument or are a singer (as applicable) and even then there can be hot debates just because people can't let go of the fact that they enjoy A more than B.  I remember arguing with somebody who claimed to play instruments over whether Jeff Buckley was a more accomplished singer than Matt Bellamy.  To be frank, that was the day I found out that even this comparison was debatable.  Accomplished, mind, or in other words technically better, allowing for the possibility of Bellamy being 'artistically' better.  Yup, Matty with his slurry diction, his distracting wheeze between lines, limited range still gets to be better than Jeff in somebody's universe.

So in short, not only is enjoyment the only real criterion, it clouds our judgment of every other aspect of the music.  If you somehow happened to have enjoyed the music, you wouldn't have problems with its production even if the latter was genuinely flawed.  You wouldn't have problems with the singing no matter how many times he/she went off key in the recording.  So on and so forth.  And if you somehow did not like it, you will find endless reasons to nitpick it so you can pretend the problem is the music and not you.  

Edited by rogerthat - June 14 2016 at 10:38
 Post Reply Post Reply