Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg in the year 2016: Where are we at now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in the year 2016: Where are we at now?
    Posted: August 24 2016 at 06:52
Bent Knee is something different. Damn, this is good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHymEnu_LE
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 01:26
It's too much autotune in Prog today. Everytime I try to listen to a new prog album, you hear these weird, always in perfect tune, lifeless voices. Aaargh!! What I think lack in todays "prog" scene is a more organic approach. Since studio time is no longer limited (most people can do this by themselves at home), there seems to be a lack of bands practicing together and making music together. A main difference from the 70s, I believe.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 23:13
Is music still progressing? Of course. In a good way? That's completely subjective.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if the music I listen to is progressive or not, all that matters is if I enjoy it. Do I like hearing new things being done in music? Yeah, but I don't go actively looking for it. Also, many of the ways music is progressing is with such things as Noise and Drone, which I strain to call music. Metal is in great shape, but I can't say I've heard many recent rock bands that interest me. Purson, Screaming Females, and Band of Skulls are the only recent rock bands I can think of that I've been enjoying.

Edited by Pastmaster - July 25 2016 at 19:16
Mellowtron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 22:32
I think it's still going strong, although prog is definitely more of an underground scene, especially here in the USA. My friends and I have been keeping track of bands like IQ, Opeth, Leprous, Haken, Steven Wilson and Frost*, and for the most part, we're pleased with what we're hearing. Unfortunately, there are some groups that sound way too similar to 70's prog, and as a result, I feel they aren't progressing. Anyway...

There have also been some of the older prog bands performing again. My dad and I saw Rush's R40 show, and one of my friends and I made a trip to the city to see King Crimson perform in their 7 piece lineup back in 2013. 

Unfortunately, 2015 and 2016 had some awful news with the deaths of prog icons like Chris Squire and Keith Emerson. I was especially crushed upon hearing Squire's death-the same friend who went to see Crimson with me thought we should see Yes when they were playing Fragile and Close to the Edge back to back. However, we backed out of buying tickets for the show, and we've regretted not seeing one of our bass icons perform live ever since.  Hearing about Emerson's suicide was terrible, given how fantastic of a musician and keyboard player he is.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 16:01
I really think which progressive rock in all his styles shows a strict  correlation with Classical or Barroque    music ... both aren't commercial and due this have a tendency of exceed the time barriers ( in consequence not stay aged ).  The remixes and remasters editions , in my point of view is beneficent . I'm  sure ( for these reasons ) which the future of Progressive Rock Music will be long and fruitful !!!
mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 19:44
I think it's frankly stupid to refer to prog music as a genre, or even type of music. In light of the real age of 70s prog it doesn't really exist outside a conceptual state. Now it's just different forms of consumption and the music has still not 'progressed' as we wish to put it.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 14:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^nope, definitely not....and frankly its a nice "problem" to have isn't it? 

I certainly rather have too much than not enough!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 13:37
^nope, definitely not....and frankly its a nice "problem" to have isn't it? 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 13:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

"Information overload", too much to absorb, is a definite issue.  I think the only way to combat this is to accept that you (we) are not going to be able to enjoy and hear everything.  So the key is to move slowly, whatever the backlog, and truly listen and concentrate on what is in front of you.  Give each band a fair shot, patiently, rather than trying to hear 10 seconds of everything at manic pace. 

Music is much more fun for me if I accept the limitations of time vs. quantity.  Smile

this is indeed an issue, but one that I could probably see myself having in the 70s/80s (assuming I had the money to buy stuff).

That said...I do find it depressing but I can't fault the music itself for thatone.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 13:12
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

No reason to complain and nothing to fear, alive and well and living in...

I was going to use this line. Tongue

But seriously prog is fine, at least as fine as any niche musical market can be in today's day and age. (So fine in fact that the label gets applied to anything like by people who like prog-rock Tongue) the internet can grant unprecedented exposure and distribution of prog-rock/progressive music which is paramount in keeping things in the eyes of the consumers.

As for the all the reissue stuff...money to the artists is a good end result, even if it's selling the same old stuff again. (and in some cases the same old stuff is leagues better than anything near new stuff.) Can't see all of that detracting people who want to buy new stuff from buying it...even if it does get annoying trying to collect every fraction of a thing from a band I love.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 08:39
"Information overload", too much to absorb, is a definite issue.  I think the only way to combat this is to accept that you (we) are not going to be able to enjoy and hear everything.  So the key is to move slowly, whatever the backlog, and truly listen and concentrate on what is in front of you.  Give each band a fair shot, patiently, rather than trying to hear 10 seconds of everything at manic pace. 

Music is much more fun for me if I accept the limitations of time vs. quantity.  Smile

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 08:24
It's the best of times and the worst of times.

This is a major time of transition, as the classic musicians move into late life and beyond. Progressive music is certainly abundant and diverse, but as stated by many others, the decay and devaluation of the music business is a serious problem. 

We are confronted with an information overload. So much is available that it is difficult to identify the acts that tickle one's fancy.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 06:53
True... Tis sad to lose the prog legends.  And it's very difficult for prog musicians to make a living playing their music.

But, for prog fans such as us?   This is the greatest prog era since the 70's.   And that's a good thing.    
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 09:09
that's sad. not to derail the thread, but playing live..does that generate much for the standard prog outfit? generally small venues and having 5 band members with travel expenses etc...it must be difficult.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 08:52
Originally posted by Blinkyjoh Blinkyjoh wrote:

I'm not sure what to think.
at first glance it looks like it is going strong. After years basically listening to yes, genesis, rush, marillion, elp ...through amazon, and largely this site i'm finding a wealth of great (semi) recent stuff out there i never knew about. Riverside, Gazpacho, Swilson, Spock's, Barock P, Bowness...

the one trend i do notice is that albums seem much longer now.

However, sales wise..Genesis's Trespass sold something like 100,000 in the UK alone (not positive) and that was one of their weaker sellers. Would *anything* today compare? Sometimes i wonder how anybody makes any money. packaging, publishers, artwork etc etc...

So, to sum up, i think going strong, but can't see anyone getting rich from it!

Only a few guys or bands are making money. Very few prog artists that I listen to even break even.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 08:46
I'm not sure what to think.
at first glance it looks like it is going strong. After years basically listening to yes, genesis, rush, marillion, elp ...through amazon, and largely this site i'm finding a wealth of great (semi) recent stuff out there i never knew about. Riverside, Gazpacho, Swilson, Spock's, Barock P, Bowness...

the one trend i do notice is that albums seem much longer now.

However, sales wise..Genesis's Trespass sold something like 100,000 in the UK alone (not positive) and that was one of their weaker sellers. Would *anything* today compare? Sometimes i wonder how anybody makes any money. packaging, publishers, artwork etc etc...

So, to sum up, i think going strong, but can't see anyone getting rich from it!

Wakefan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 06:24
Hi guys! I believe prog has lost a bit of its magic. In the 70's prog was not a style, but almost a compositional music philosophy, and today musicians are too worried about making PROG and not beautiful, crazy, inventive music. I think the only artist that does that is SW.
And as mentioned before, the prog gods are passing away, nad in 10 years there will be no legends left. The only thing we can do to save prog is to support the new generation of artists: the future of prog. For example there is this guy in Brazil: Gustavo Santhiago, who is very, very, sensible in his music, and has released his first album. I found the complete album in YouTube, and it seems he's very unknown, and very young. What do you think guys?
Here's the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQAwMSVN0E6iMq-d375q8gvaqXdzcmb2Y

Love and happiness to all!!!
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 23:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Some 45 years after the birth of progressive rock, where are we at right now?

More diverse than ever. Kind of like how Mahavishnu Orchestra, Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck and Billie Holiday are all Jazz artists. 

Quote What's good or bad about the current prog scene?

Good: Diversity. Bad: Too much mediocrity.

Quote How do think digital pirating has affected prog? 

Loss of income for musicians that really, really need it.

Quote Has prog become "more outré or progressive" now that record executives no longer drive the artist's direction? 

Yes.

Quote And the vinyl craze. Has prog benefitted from the new remixes, remasters and audio restorations of vinyl (some of which transfers to digital mediums)? Or do you feel it's just a cash cow for the vinyl reissuing companies?

If it puts money in the pockets of musicians it's OK with me.

Quote Prog in 2016: Where do you think we're at right now?

A great, healthy place but a bit overpopulated. 
Making the useless useful 24/7.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 14:20
I wouldn't say prog was "in the best place it's ever been in", but it is probably in the best shape since the end of the classic era. There is a lot of good and exciting stuff going on, and it is slowly becoming more fashionable again. Even the German hipster rock magazine Visions carried a special feature about prog a few months ago (it wasn't particularly good, but at least a step in the right direction). Perhaps prog will be the next big thing when people get bored with hipster austerity and retromania, who knows ;)

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 13:23
It's bait. Leave it alone.

-------------

Anyway, I think prog is in the best place it's ever been in. We've had some truly incredible albums over the last few months alone (DT, Haken, Frost*, Big Big Train). Really exciting times to be a prog fan. (Unless you're so close-minded that you think it died in the 70s, of course.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>