Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I couldn't get into Big Big Train..(Opinion Piece)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI couldn't get into Big Big Train..(Opinion Piece)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I couldn't get into Big Big Train..(Opinion Piece)
    Posted: July 02 2016 at 14:02
..at first. Genesis was likely my gateway drug into prog, and so since these guys apparently had a similar style, I thought, "why not?". So I decided to listen to The Underfall Yard's title track as I was in the mood for a good prog epic. Only problem was, it didn't feel like it was a band trying to make their own music, I found it was a band trying to make prog for the sake of being prog. A lot of the jams felt like mindless noodling and the sections of the song didn't have much of a flow to them, I found. I also found that there weren't very many memorable melodies, either.

I tried a couple of other songs from the same album (since that was the album where they apparently 'got good') and found the same thing. Odd time signatures placed just for the sake of being there, trying too hard to imitate the 70s, etc. Then I read reviews for English Electric Part 1 and it mentioned how Uncle Jack was a bit different, so I decided to listen to it. It was actually a really decent and fairly unique song even with the inspiration present! In fact, it was stuck in my head all day two days after listening to it!

I listened to it again the other day, then once it was over I forgot to choose another song and it automatically played Wassail from their EP and I really, really enjoyed that as well! Finally I decided to digitally buy the Wassail EP and realized something about these guys.. to me, when they try to be Genesis or symphonic, their textures are nice, but they can be pretty bland.

..But I think they just might be one of the best Prog-Folk bands I've ever heard. If they stuck to more folk-style, they might be one of my favourite bands (Granted, I haven't heard English Electric part 2 or Folklore yet, so who knows what I can expect!)

Edited by souio - July 02 2016 at 14:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 22:01
I barely know the band, but indeed the reviews for English Electric were so good that I had to buy the combo "English Electric, Full Power" (parts 1 and 2, plus a few new songs that were later released as an EP, which is not Wassail). However, I really loved this English Electric thing, with many memorable melodies that I loved... and one of the things that I thought was actually the opposite to what you thought from "The Underfall Yard" (which I actually haven't heard, so I don't know if I'll agree with you on that)... but on EE I felt that they used the prog elements in a very organic way, and they were used to suit the songs, without unnecesary prog elements and signature changes just to make it prog. Very nice and beautiful, I guess you should try it out and see if you agree with me.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 01:53
I've listened to their last 4 albums or so, but not only could I not get into them, a lot of the music just really annoyed me. Too wimpy or something. But I *love* the track Master James of St. George. I never tire of that song, it's pure magic. It's the kind of song that should get regular airplay, - and would, if we were still in the 70s-80s.

Edited by jude111 - July 03 2016 at 01:59
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 02:27
Gathering speed is my favorite from them, still it's just ok.
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 03:09
To be the best prog folk band, they'd have to get past Strawbs, Horslips and Gryphon (and Tull for a very short period of their long career), but they are exceptional.

I like all their stuff, but their more folk based songs like Wassail are truly exceptional. I also like their more commercial catchy stuff like Make Some Noise. They do it so well.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 16:44
I got into BBT with 2008's The Difference Machine--which I immediately and continue to absolutely adore--it remains my favorite BBT album. (Then vocalist Sean Filkins is not as bombastic as current vocalist.) Then went back into their catalog and purchased Gathering Speed (cool concept, two great songs) and "Reaching for John Dowland" from English Boy Wonders is absolutely stunning. Then Underfall Yard  came out.
     Amazing sound production and compositional skill. The vocal arrangements of newcomer David Longdon are stunning--to this day. I just found myself having trouble connecting with the subject matter: How is it that these little-known English 'heroes' can possibly generate the kind of emotion Dave & Co were displaying in the songs--especially in the singing??
     The next albums--which I continue to buy and attend to--have maintained a pretty high standard of sound and compositional display but, again, they sometimes leave me cold--feeling left out of the emotion that these guys (purport) to feel toward their chosen subject matter. Perhaps being English would help more.
     Still, I rate English Electric, Part I as my 'Best Album of the Year 2012'--and "Winchester from St. Giles' Hill" as my favorite song of that year.
     Their artwork is amazing. I wish they would do more videos to help people to connect to their songs.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 17:34
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I got into BBT with 2008's The Difference Machine--which I immediately and continue to absolutely adore--it remains my favorite BBT album. (Then vocalist Sean Filkins is not as bombastic as current vocalist.) Then went back into their catalog and purchased Gathering Speed (cool concept, two great songs) and "Reaching for John Dowland" from English Boy Wonders is absolutely stunning. Then Underfall Yard  came out.
     Amazing sound production and compositional skill. The vocal arrangements of newcomer David Longdon are stunning--to this day. I just found myself having trouble connecting with the subject matter: How is it that these little-known English 'heroes' can possibly generate the kind of emotion Dave & Co were displaying in the songs--especially in the singing??
     The next albums--which I continue to buy and attend to--have maintained a pretty high standard of sound and compositional display but, again, they sometimes leave me cold--feeling left out of the emotion that these guys (purport) to feel toward their chosen subject matter. Perhaps being English would help more.
     Still, I rate English Electric, Part I as my 'Best Album of the Year 2012'--and "Winchester from St. Giles' Hill" as my favorite song of that year.
     Their artwork is amazing. I wish they would do more videos to help people to connect to their songs.

Agree with BrufordFreak in everything!!, I prefer Big Big Train with Sean Filkins as vocalist, my fav album it´s The Different Machine followed by Gathering Speed
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 14:45
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Agree with BrufordFreak in everything!!, I prefer Big Big Train with Sean Filkins as vocalist, my fav album it´s The Different Machine followed by Gathering Speed

Sean is truly a very good vocalist. More power and better range than Longdon while having a similar sound. Gathering Speed is one of my favorite albums from any artist period. I think the band's textures and arrangements are finer in the Longdon era, with more memorable tracks. The Wide Open Sea is arguably my favorite song of all time. Then tracks like Kingmaker, Summoned by Bells, East Coast Racer, The Underfall Yard, and Judas Unrepentant are wonderful.

Regarding OP's post, I have never gotten then sense of them creating prog for the sake of prog at all. And I also have never considered them a Genesis copycat or Genesis "evolved" as I've heard many say. I think people say that mostly because of the vocal similarities.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 15:31
I don't have any BBT with Filkins, but I have Filkins highly rated solo album from a few years back.  I honestly figured he was an instrumentalist trying his hand at vocals, because I found his vocals to be truly weak.....
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 15:31
Sean Filkins is an excellent vocalist, and his BBT albums and solo work is outstanding.  However, I think that David Longdon has emerged as the face of BBT, and he brings a level of emotion that is unsurpassed.  I think the new albums are just stellar, and they are making outstanding music.  I would call their music very mature, intelligent, and sophisticated.  I think they are more organic of a band that rely on subtleties with excellent song writing and compositions.  Big Big Train has become a favorite of mine, and I hope they keep this momentum going.

Edited by javajeff - July 04 2016 at 15:32
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 15:46
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I don't have any BBT with Filkins, but I have Filkins highly rated solo album from a few years back.  I honestly figured he was an instrumentalist trying his hand at vocals, because I found his vocals to be truly weak.....

I have two words for you: Powder Monkey
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 14:00
The vocals pre Filkins are a real shame - nice playing but I find them pretty hard to listen to.

Filkins is ok and he has grown on me a fair bit but Longdon's a real star with a great range and tone. His contribution to the song-writing has been enormous too.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 07:43
For me Big Big Train is what Genesis could have been if they hadn't dedicated to making commercial music.  If you don't like them there are plenty of other prog artists out there making great music.  Move in and don't dwell on it.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:51
Image result for model railroad pics
When I was a kid, I got into small small trains!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:57
model trains rule..Thumbs Up  Just think over what today's video game generation is missing out on...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 04:17
English Electric Full Power is undeniably one of the best albums that I own Smile Some of the songs are just beautiful: Swan Hunter, Edgelands - Summoned By Bells - Upton Heath, Curator Of Butterflies being my favourites.

I know it's kind of a compilation, but it doesn't feel like that to me, as I didn't get the two separate EE albums, just waited for the double album.  Previous to that, I had The Underfall Yard and although I liked it, it didn't make me rush out to buy anything else, including EE1 and EE2 (obviously!)

Now I really must get Folklore....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 04:25
For those that 'can't get into' BBT, I feel sorry for you. Has your soul been sold to the Devil ??

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 18 2016 at 04:25
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 04:36
I think you'll find, Tom, that for everyone who enjoys BBT for their vintage flavours, lush qualities and pleasing harmonies, someone else might find them bland and wishy-washy and too comfy like an old rug to cuddle up in.

Not my personal opinion, mind you, but I could completely understand if someone were to find their music just those things.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 04:56
I heard the Underfall Yard and both English Electric a few times and it's entertaining for a while but I always get bored after 20 minutes or so. There are so many bands out there that I find much more interesting, I don't even worry about that.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2016 at 04:59
Essential one afaic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>