Topic ClosedAssociation Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Association Football
    Posted: July 02 2016 at 20:00
I am not a sports fan.  I played soccer as a youngster, and for a while watched some professional football and baseball (don't even know if soccer was available on American TV at the time!), but none of it as an adult.  That being said, I've never understood the American disdain for soccer.

I passed a couple of co-workers discussing sports and "boring soccer" came up as a topic.  I asked one why he felt this to be the case, and why did he like hockey but not soccer, when (I said) "they are essentially the same game".  (No idea how true this is, but that's my layman's perspective.)  He said that the goals are too far apart and it takes too long to get from one side to the other!  He thought it would be much more exciting if the field was half the size.

Huh!  Are Americans so obsessed with "goals" that we cannot appreciate the skill it takes to get there?  I just found it quite an odd opinion (though I am guessing he's correct in his assessment about why American's find soccer boring).

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 20:37
I'm not a huge sports guy but I have no idea why anyone would prefer American football over the international football. Our football is like the one sport I just don't find any enjoyment out of watching.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 20:52
I enjoy watching hockey and football, baseball less so, but now and then I will.  Soccer and NBA, no thanks. 
NBA is hilarious.  They could save a whole lotta time by just making every game 90-90 as a start point and playing for only 60 seconds. 

All sports are more fun to play than watch, played them all as a youth.   Playing hockey was an absolute gas, both on ice or floor hockey.  God I miss that.  The only sport I was good at. 

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 22:00
Most sports fans here baffle me.  I'm a huge racing fan and most everyone I come across automatically assumes I'm talking about NASCAR (I do watch that, among other forms) and proceed to call it boring.  These same people will then go on and on about baseball and golf.  I don't get it.  And I'm not bashing those two sports, but I just don't get it.  I'll try to explain the details that go into racing and why I love it, but they (most of the time) don't want to hear it and just brush it off.  So, I can relate to this.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 23:40
Well, Football (Soccer) is my favorite sport (I played it even in the street and for a couple years in the semi pro league), but I enjoy almost every sport except Golf and NBA.

I became an American Football fan about 5 years ago and always loved Baseball, maybe because in my school we payed it all the time.

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 10:57
Football is my favorite sport too. I try to watch every game I can from the big leagues (Spain, Italy, England, Germany).
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 11:02
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

He thought it would be much more exciting if the field was half the size.
Maybe he should watch futsal instead Tongue
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 08:01
I have watched football ("soccer") ever since I was a child and it's the only sport I 100% love. I watch almost every game of the Spanish league (my team FC Barcelona plays there), I watch most of the Champions League, always the Euro, Copa America, and World Cups, spme WC qualifiers, friendlies, and the Ecuadorian league where my other team plays (Barcelona SC). 

If people in the US criticize football for lack of scoring, I want to do similar for American sports: all non-stop scoring (where's the tension?), stupid time outs that kill momentum, commercial interests above everything (most interruptions are only for commercials), sports where an offense and a defense are two separate parts of a team and rarely one can act like the other (American football specifically), sports arenas which are mostly commercial circuses, teams that move from city to city and have zero actual connection to a city and its people, etc etc etc. 

Oh don't get me started.. 

Edited by The T - July 05 2016 at 10:49
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 10:01
Hockey and soccer are nothing alike.  Hockey is a contact sport of constant motion played on a small playing surface.  Soccer is a sport in which any contact is met with a complete and pathetic flop with little to no action played on a cushy field about the size of Central Park.

Time always wins.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 10:49
It must be great living in a country where you not only invent a sport, your fellow countrymen are actually good at it too.Ouch
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 11:21
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I have watched football ("soccer") ever since I was a child and it's the only sport I 100% love. I watch almost every game of the Spanish league (my team FC Barcelona plays there), I watch most of the Champions League, always the Euro, Copa America, and World Cups, spme WC qualifiers, friendlies, and the Ecuadorian league where my other team plays (Barcelona SC). 

If people in the US criticize football for lack of scoring, I want to do similar for American sports: all non-stop scoring (where's the tension?), stupid time outs that kill momentum, commercial interests above everything (most interruptions are only for commercials), sports where an offense and a defense are two separate parts of a team and rarely one can act like the other (American football specifically), sports arenas which are mostly commercial circuses, teams that move from city to city and have zero actual connection to a city and its people, etc etc etc. 

Here this will get you started............http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/information/

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 12:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It must be great living in a country where you not only invent a sport, your fellow countrymen are actually good at it too.Ouch
LOL

And you have to thank a Soviet referee (of all people) for your only glory... 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 12:26
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Here this will get you started............http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/information/

Baseball teams appear to have some connection to their cities, but NFL teams move freely from one to the other in what would amaze anyone looking from outside 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 12:55

LOL

Oh Teo, I am disappointed in you... I thought every footie fan knew the ref was Swiss
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 13:03
And the ball was over the line anyway

Anyone who thinks soccer is none contact has clearly never played the game. 

It's streets ahead of baseball (which really is just an excuse to sit in the sun for a few hours drinking beer and chatting with friends (much like cricket)) or American Football where you have to watch for 3 hours with interminable adverts every 5 minutes for an actual "playing time" (the time from the snap to the play ending) of 11 minutes. 

I'm a frustrated Newcastle & England fan who watches pretty much all the EPL and major tournaments. I also watch a lot of baseball & American Football.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 05 2016 at 13:09
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 13:31
I totally agree about the excessive Ads on NFL... I'm curious, doesn't televised Soccer have a lot of Ads too?  

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 13:51

LOL

Oh Teo, I am disappointed in you... I thought every footie fan knew the ref was Swiss
Wat. 

Confused

Checks wikipedia... 

The lineman (the truly blind one) was Soviet. 

The referee was Swiss. 

You are correct. I was partially correct Approve

Tongue
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 13:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I totally agree about the excessive Ads on NFL... I'm curious, doesn't televised Soccer have a lot of Ads too?  
It has tons of ads (depending on the network, type of competition, etc) but they never go to a commercial break. They are, so to speak, embedded in the game, be it in the form of unobtrusive graphics or new kinds of pseudo-3d logos somewhere in the screen. In the past some networks even used to reduce the size of the soccer screen to accommodate short ads, usually for just a few seconds. In essence, you never lose sight of the game itself for all the duration of the half. 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 16:16
I have seven reasons to not talk about association football. Clown
Guigo

~~~~~~
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 02:22