Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan this be considered progressive rock/metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can this be considered progressive rock/metal?
    Posted: July 15 2016 at 14:38
Hi!

My band just released a new song called "Paragon". We're having a hard time labeling our genre, and we're looking for feedback on our recordings. Do you think this could be labeled progressive rock/metal?

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate for this forum. I'm new to the forum :)
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 04:12
Welcome to the site! I see that you have two singles out, and it takes at least one album to be evaluated by a team. When you do, you go on the suggestion bands thread and give some links where we can hear some songs. Listening to the 2 singles right now, this one may qualify for Progressive Metal, but not the song "Reaper".  We'll wait for the album.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 06:37
Sounds like Tool-lite.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 12:29
Wanting to compare this song to another band, I'd say Riverside. Anyway I could buy an album of this kind.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
wyldelife View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 16:10
Thank you for your replies! :)
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 19:13
I found it a very enjoyable song.  The singing was quite good, as well as the music.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 13:17
Hi,

I realize I am the odd one out here sometimes, but in all honesty, I would like to suggest that you worry less about it being "progressive", "rock" or "metal", and concentrate on the continuity and the design and performance of your own work. 

What it "is" is illusory, and is for an audience to decide, not you! You might see green in the ocean, and they will tell you it's blue, or vice versa, and that is the issue. 

My suggestion as a "director" (theater and film) is to perfect and concentrate on your composition and then delivery and stop worrying about what others think it is, because you can never satisfy them, anyway ... today you will for 5 minutes and tomorrow you are a dead dog! How thrilling of a ride that must be emotionally! It kills more bands and artists than we will ever know or meet!

Edited by moshkito - July 21 2016 at 13:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
wyldelife View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 12:00
Hey, man! Thanks for commenting. I wholeheartedly agree. The motive behind the thread title and original post was really to get feedback on what people thought about the song. But since I'm new to this forum, I reasoned that "hey, check out my band" threads were unpopular, and I didn't want this thread to be buried in some "original recordings" sub-forum. Overall, I'm pleased with this thread as I got some replies that were really nice to get.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 09:09
Originally posted by wyldelife wyldelife wrote:

Overall, I'm pleased with this thread as I got some replies that were really nice to get.

Good to hear. In the end, this is about your own work, and how you define it for yourself. And that makes the individuality that helps create a band out there, not just a copy of this or that.

Personally, I always thought that "cookie cutter" mentality was for top ten, not anything else. 

I wish nothing but a very nice and long run, and hope that you guys can take this far ... if this is, specially, a first effort, I would say that is an excellent sign. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 14:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I realize I am the odd one out here sometimes, but in all honesty, I would like to suggest that you worry less about it being "progressive", "rock" or "metal", and concentrate on the continuity and the design and performance of your own work.

Fine. Those are just labels that are tagged on music in order to pigeonhole it. That, by itself, is a useful practice, but there are plenty of examples of such tags being used in ways that they lead to nothing because things that are just too different are summed up under them. One of them is "progressive metal", which can mean anything from Dream Theater to Meshuggah to Tool. There will be many people who'd consider the posted song as "progressive metal", and others who won't (I'm with the latter, but I am notorious for excluding music such as that of Tool - which the posted song gets quite close to - from "prog"; yet, I have no good alternative term for this kind of music at hand).

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply