Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 09:55
Animals
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:43
Animals was the first PF album I listened to and it is still in my top 3. The Wall, however, is not. Still, a brilliant album nonetheless.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:44
Animals
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:48
Not as big a fan as others responding to this thread, but Animules was a lively enough affair that easily tops The Wall. Would have liked it to have been a double album and The Wall a single one - the latter has that much filler.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 11:13
Animals easily, it's my favorite Floyd album, The Wall would struggle to get in the top 10.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 11:20
Although I love the short, stripped back alongside Prog Funk rages, The entire spectacle of The Wall is stronger than Animals.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 11:21
Animals, probably my favorite Floyd album. The Wall is good, but I've always felt there's quite a bit of filler.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 12:53
Animals. The archetypal punk rage against the system, ironically recorded by a band who the punks railed against as being a bunch of dinosaurs. An utter classic.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 12:58
Take out Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell and The Wall is awful.

I really like Animals.

Edited by Hercules - July 27 2016 at 12:58
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 13:06
Animals. Not that The Wall is not good, but Pink Floyd seemed to be loosing steam at that point in time.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 14:18

Animals
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 14:33
Two albums by Floyd I rarely play anymore......I seem to reach for Meddle, DSOTM, or WYWH when I need a Floyd fix ...which isn't all that often.
There is filler on The Wall but then there are parts of Animals that bore me....Waters pontifications on those two started to get on my nerves but I suppose The Wall because of Comfortably Numb, Another Brick..., Young Lust, heh You, Run Like Hell....etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 17:11
Animals.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 20:44
Easily Animals for me. My favourite Pink Floyd album by default is Wish you Were Here... but if I actually put that one and Animals together to choose which one I like better I would have a rather difficult time deciding... both are just wonderful. The Wall is actually brilliant in it's own way, actually.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 20:50
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Which Roger Waters authored work do you prefer?

I don't consider Animals to be a Roger Waters authored work, no matter what the writing credits say. HUGE contributions from Wright, Gilmour and even Mason all over the three main tracks on that album. I love Roger's lyrics and vocals on it too.

I wouldn't have put Animals as a Roger Waters authored work either... for that I guess it would have been more accurate to put The Wall with The Final Cut. And it's not only that Gilmour or Wright might have contributed a lot or a little to the Waters penned songs, but there's still the matter of Dogs, which is actually credited Gilmour/Waters... and as far as I understant the music is mostly a Gilmour affair, Waters got his credit because of the lyrics. And since Dogs is the longest song on the album, it's almost half of the music on the album that is not written by Waters.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 04:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't consider Animals to be a Roger Waters authored work, no matter what the writing credits say. HUGE contributions from Wright, Gilmour and even Mason all over the three main tracks on that album. I love Roger's lyrics and vocals on it too.

I wouldn't have put Animals as a Roger Waters authored work either... for that I guess it would have been more accurate to put The Wall with The Final Cut. And it's not only that Gilmour or Wright might have contributed a lot or a little to the Waters penned songs, but there's still the matter of Dogs, which is actually credited Gilmour/Waters... and as far as I understant the music is mostly a Gilmour affair, Waters got his credit because of the lyrics. And since Dogs is the longest song on the album, it's almost half of the music on the album that is not written by Waters.
Sorry, but the force of Water's is as clear to me on Animals as it is with his following PF albums. Mason goes through the motions and Wright, the unsung co-star of the Wish You Were Here album, is creatively missing in action. I wish he was there for Animals.
Water's pushed and Gilmour responded, but to me, Animals this 90% Waters' vision, IMHO. PF, with Animals, has assumed an identifiably defining "Roger Waters' sound" that is prevalent on The Wall, The Final Cut and all of Waters' solo albums.

Roger Waters authored Animals in more ways then people realize.

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2016 at 04:37
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 06:31
Love both.  I like Animals more though.  Animals is probably my favorite Floyd album.  There's just a beautifully dark vibe to Animals musically that's extremely unique.

I do like the lyrics on both, too.  But lyrics aren't very important to me as a music fan, and for the vast majority of music that I'm a fan of, I have little idea what the lyrics are.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 21:24

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Sorry, but the force of Water's is as clear to me on Animals as it is with his following PF albums. Mason goes through the motions and Wright, the unsung co-star of the Wish You Were Here album, is creatively missing in action. I wish he was there for Animals.
Water's pushed and Gilmour responded, but to me, Animals this 90% Waters' vision, IMHO. PF, with Animals, has assumed an identifiably defining "Roger Waters' sound" that is prevalent on The Wall, The Final Cut and all of Waters' solo albums.

Roger Waters authored Animals in more ways then people realize.

Perhaps on Pigs and Dogs, since those are the Waters penned ones, but even then they don't sound like what would come next on The Wall and Final Cut, for this are longer pieces that would fit better with, say, Welcome to the Machine than with Another Brick in the Wall, Mother, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, etc. And still there's Dogs, easily my favourite here, which is very much Gilmour. Perhaps because of the concept and pesimism you could say it's got more Waters... but then again concepts and lyrics had been Waters thing since Dark Side... or perhaps even longer.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:41
Being on lost side here as my vote goes to The Wall. Not that I love The Wall soo much, but it was the first Floyd LP I heard back in start of 80'th and this has some impact on me. More to it, it's not such bad record, maybe too long and Watersian, but definitely not bad.
Animals is on my Floyd records chart on bottom shelf (almost every Floyd's record would win over Animals) so the conclusion is obvious.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:45
Two absolute gems. Funnily enough, I was just comparing these two yesterday after a long Pink Floyd hiatus. I would perhaps choose Animals by a minuscule margin, but The Wall is a masterpiece.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>