Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoye Albrighton (Nektar) - R.I.P.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 13:17

I have always wanted to collect more Nektar ever since I first heard Recylced  in the late 70s, an album I still love to listen to.  In the decades since, I have only collected a few more (Magic is the Child, Evolution, Remember the Future, and Down to Earth), all of which I enjoy and all of which sound very different from one another.  The band and especially Roye Albrighton were never given the attention they deserved.  Time for another tribute listening marathon to both mourn what we have lost and celebrate what we have gained from this tremendous artist. CryClap Well done sir, well done.  You will be missed.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 04:35
I have to thank Steve Harris and his band Iron Maiden, for turning me on to Nektar, courtesy of their cover of King Of Twilight (back when I discovered it around - 1986-ish).
Even 1980's Man In The Moon, is a high quality album - though offering a more 'Arena Rock' styling, offers quite a chunk of impressive Prog-Rock that we all know and love. Underrated.
Absolutely ADORE their last album Time Machine. Roye and the gang hit a home-run with that one. A really special album.
I'm sad that Roye has transcended beyond our Mortal existence, may his soul spread its magic wherever it may roam....
DAVE M View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 04:50
I was in a nightclub in the Black Forest in Germany in 1973 and they played King of Twilight and I was hooked. I then learned they were playing in Freiburg supporting, as Bomber Harris put it 'somewhat incompatibly', Frank Zappa on his Grand Wazoo tour. I had to see them...Zappa wasn't bad either. Fast forward 35 years and I travelled to Leverkusen to see them again. Lucky enough to bump into Roye outside the venue and we had a great chat - an absolute gentleman. Nektar were the sole act on that night and must have played almost 3 hours. I was searching the net to find out when they were next due to tour and found to my horror Roye had passed away. What a great shame. I spent the weekend watching their 2 DVDs and listening to their albums I hadn't played for a few years. They never really made it commercially in the UK but thank goodness I was working in Germany at the time when I was introduced to their great music. End of an era. RIP RoyeCry
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 06:48
^ I believe Frank feared that Nektar was threatening to upstage him with their, allegedly, stellar performance, and he demanded they get the plug pulled on them
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 14:50
RIP my hero and inspiration your playing were ahead of time and your vocals were a gem
progbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 11:29
No No No Cry

I just found out about this.   I saw them in St. Louis 3 years ago.  They were great.   
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 00:15
Originally posted by progbaby progbaby wrote:

No No No Cry

I just found out about this.   I saw them in St. Louis 3 years ago.  They were great.   
That must've been the tour I caught them on - at B.B. Kings in NYC. With Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash. Great show, great memories, though I though Lux Vibratus' bass was undermixed.
pastrock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 06:39
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I still remember hearing "Desolation Valley" for the first time - I was blown away by Roye's guitar playing and his wonderful singing. Then, I bought Remember the Future album and was once again blown away by his abilities. His lyrics were also very beautiful.
R.I.P. Roye, you've been a great inspiration. Cry

I completly agree with this above comment because those two albums are what introduced me to Roye and Nektar back when the albums came out. Just hearing this news now is very sad indeed. Those two albums will forever be in my heart. Thanks Roye and cheers.
M3g52 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 09:34
2016...que año malísimo...
Cry
M3g52

Nunca salgas sin tu toalla!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12