Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 03:34
Wintergatan - Wintergatan (experimental folktronica, featuring selfmade instrumtents and what not)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 04:47
Surf's up - The Beach Boys
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 11:09
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Agusa - Två (Lovely album with plenty of Hammond. Wasn't this too much keyboard based for you, Gary? Tongue)
La Düsseldorf - s/t
Klaus Morlock - Penumbra
Maserati - Rehumanizer
Shamblemaths - s/t (It seemed better this time but it still needs more listens)
Acid Mess - II

LOL  I'll admit that since I've been listening to so many Desert/Stoner/Hard Rock albums lately I haven't heard much keyboards so this one was a nice change.
The Rising Sun Experience album also featured some really good keys. When I saw that they were from Portugal I wondered if you had heard of them.
I ordered the vinyl version after the first listen. I also ordered their first album but it's only on CD. 
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 13:12
NEU! - NEU! Sounds soooo nice on vinyl! The mixing is great. And the disc is white, which makes it even tastier.

Gong - Rejoice! I'm Dead! Hey! That's pretty good! I did not expect anything great from this new release, but the album is really good. The classic Gong moods are there! Recommended!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 16:41
Haken - Affinity
Genesis - Trespass

The new Haken took me awhile to warm up to, but now I love it.  The only part I don't care for is the out of place screaming in 'The Architect'.  Otherwise, damn near perfect.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 16:46
Gentle Giant - Free Hand. This was my first listen and I must say, I was quite impressed.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 16:50
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish Heart
Starland Vocal Band - s/t
Starland Vocal Band - Rear View Mirror

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 22:15
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Kansas - The Prelude Implicit - Their new album, a risky blind buy...and it's terrific! The new singer sounds a lot like a smoother version of Ted Leonard of Enchant and the recent Spock's Beard albums, he has an incredible voice, and despite it having plenty of AOR moments (which, to be fair, have been on every one of their albums since the self-titled debut!), it sounds like they just picked up from where `Point of Know Return' left off, and even sounding a lot like the Neal Morse/Spock's Beard albums. Within one minute of the opening track the album sounds like classic Kansas, I think fans will absolutely love it. Definitely a very unexpected and welcome surprise!

Hey Michael, I was curious what this new Kansas album would be like.  From your thoughts here and others that I have seen, looks like they found a little bit of that old magic with new blood from the recent members.  I think I will pick this one up.

Hey Jim, I'll post a review for it as soon as the current review I have sitting on the front page moves off there. I am totally convinced that, if you like the band, then it delivers an album most fans should be really happy with! It's actually kind of shocking how good it is! I mean, it's AOR, but really gutsy with plenty of instrumental grunt to it. The new singer is a total fit for the group too. Please report back if you eventually pick it up!

And here's the life of the Prog junkie....I had the day off work, was looking forward to doing nothing and not setting a foot outside the door, when a friend made a mention on Facebook that a local Melbourne vendor had a few copies on their shelf, and BOOM - out the door 30 minutes later I was hurtling towards the store!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 22:45
Doc Watson - "Memories"
Trendy Dog With Sunglasses - "Trendy Dog And Her Home In The Mountains"
Marvin Gaye - "Trouble Man"
John Hartford - "Aereo-Plain"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 00:21
Tuesday...

The Machine - Drie  (Rotterdam, NL  2011)   Long jams with very minimal vocals and a lot of fuzz/wah-wah guitar
Earthless - From The Ages  (San Diego, CA  2013)   Instrumental blues based psych/stoner rock. Guitar driven power trio.
Deadpeach - Deadpeach 2  (Cattolica, Italy  2011)   Psychedelic stoner rock with Italian vocals
Dimartis - Episodio 1 (Tierra)      (Rawson, Argentina  2015)   Instrumental / Heavy Psych / Sludge  
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:15
Wintergatan - Wintergatan
Big Big Train - Folklore
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:06
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

LOL  I'll admit that since I've been listening to so many Desert/Stoner/Hard Rock albums lately I haven't heard much keyboards so this one was a nice change.
The Rising Sun Experience album also featured some really good keys. When I saw that they were from Portugal I wondered if you had heard of them.
I ordered the vinyl version after the first listen. I also ordered their first album but it's only on CD. 
I thought later that you also listen to Elephant9 so it's not that surprising Tongue
I never heard of them, but I'll give it a listen later Thumbs Up

Bit - s/t
Peak - Ebondazzar (Probably my favourite Australian album Smile)
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By (I noticed the last time I heard it was with tons of bonus tracks and it was really long. Much better this time without them.)
Calibro 35 - Ogni Riferimento... (I thought my appreciation for it would lessen because of The Winstons but not at all Big smile)
Steve Roach - The Delicate Forever (With speakers and subwoofer instead of headphones. This was easily the best listen.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:33
Easily one of the best Ozrics albums there, Sam.

Oh, and the Roach one is kinda good too!

For me tonight:

Kansas – The Prelude Implicit
The Neal Morse Band – The Grand Experiment
Opeth – Deliverance
Steve Hillage - L
Magenta – Seven
Marchesi Scamorza – Hypnophonia
La Coscienza di Zeno – La Notte Anche di Giorno

Beggars Opera – Act One – Hadn’t listened to this one in years...used to love it, but now I can’t ignore how all the damn keyboards sound like a damn carnival! Oh, and even these guys resort to adapting the William Tell overture (just like all the damn PFM concert performances), I never want to hear it again!

Opeth – Pale Communion - sh*t, this album (despite being beautifully performed) is so freaking dreary and repetitive. It’s like wallpaper with flowers on it – pretty but drab. I’m hardly a metalhead, but at least when the band has albums that alternate in and out of heavier metal sections and mellow passages, it breaks their music up so much more and actually has contrast. This album just floats wearily along in the same manner for the whole disc, and it is just so crushingly boring. I had planned to race out tomorrow and buy the new album (because we’ve got a public holiday in Australia on Friday so all the shops will be closed), but upon reading up on it that it’s even more in this direction, I think I’ll give it a skip altogether. I then listened to `Deliverance’ right after that, and that monster crackles with energy and variety in comparison.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 05:08
Asia Minor - Between Flesh And Divine (It's been a few years since I played this album, but in the past few days I must've played it over 10 times! I honestly forgot how good it is)
Cherry Five - Il Pozzo Dei Giganti
Heldon - Allez Teia
Sloche- J'un Oeil
Il rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione
Catapilla- S/T
Univers Zero - Heresie
New Trolls Atomic System - Tempi Dispari (love this thing!)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 10:45
Nice selections you guys. Feels like it's been a while since I visited this place. Hope you're doing good:)
Here the other day I finally talked myself into getting some Krautrock/Germanic shirts from a place called Redbubble. Currently awaiting one Zeit (Black), Schulze live 2/3rd sleeve (Red), Faust debut (White) and yet another Tago Mago shirt in white. Must've rubbed off to my listening habits because this is what yesterday looked like:

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
Cluster - ll (really wanted this as a t-shirt and I know it exists dammit! Marvelous cover)
Can - Cd 1 and 3 from the most recent boxset.
Electric Orange - Misophonia (great new album - starting to make sense or maybe I took too long to really listen to it)
Herbert F Bairy - Traumspiel
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen
Aluk Todolo - Voix
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 16:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Easily one of the best Ozrics albums there, Sam.

Oh, and the Roach one is kinda good too!

La Coscienza di Zeno – La Notte Anche di Giorno

Opeth – Pale Communion - sh*t, this album (despite being beautifully performed) is so freaking dreary and repetitive. It’s like wallpaper with flowers on it – pretty but drab. I’m hardly a metalhead, but at least when the band has albums that alternate in and out of heavier metal sections and mellow passages, it breaks their music up so much more and actually has contrast. This album just floats wearily along in the same manner for the whole disc, and it is just so crushingly boring. I had planned to race out tomorrow and buy the new album (because we’ve got a public holiday in Australia on Friday so all the shops will be closed), but upon reading up on it that it’s even more in this direction, I think I’ll give it a skip altogether. I then listened to `Deliverance’ right after that, and that monster crackles with energy and variety in comparison.
I didn't enjoy it as much this time, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it Embarrassed

It's awesome! Big smile

Hmmmm, I didn't hear it this month. So many albums I need to spin but I can't stop playing that one Embarrassed

They played here recently, I saw so many metalheads complaining about the snoozefest it was LOL

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Asia Minor - Between Flesh And Divine (It's been a few years since I played this album, but in the past few days I must've played it over 10 times! I honestly forgot how good it is)

New Trolls Atomic System - Tempi Dispari (love this thing!)
It's still on my wishlist unfortunately.

I never heard it, only the studio album, I'll have to look into it Smile

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nice selections you guys. Feels like it's been a while since I visited this place. Hope you're doing good:)
Here the other day I finally talked myself into getting some Krautrock/Germanic shirts from a place called Redbubble. Currently awaiting one Zeit (Black), Schulze live 2/3rd sleeve (Red), Faust debut (White) and yet another Tago Mago shirt in white. Must've rubbed off to my listening habits because this is what yesterday looked like:
Nice selection from you as well Clap I didn't know that site, the t-shirts sure look cool Cool Speaking of it, I bought an awesome t-shirt from your fellow countrymen Papir... and a couple of albums of course Big smile

Today:
Klaus Morlock - The Virgin Spring
The Rising Sun Experience - Beyond the Oblivious Abyss (Really cool album, Gary! I'll have to give it another listen to see if I'll suggest them here.)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 20:18
Sabb - Mob Rules
BOC - CE
Gregorian chant

Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 22:35
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Cosmo's Factory"
The Dillards - "Back Porch Bluegrass"
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:03
Great list, David! When I was on my really intense kraut kick, I could listen to krautrock all day long, even without eating. LOL

Oh wow. I hit my toe on the stairs and somehow managed to break my little artery that is there, so loads of blood. Went to the hospital and got 6 surgical sutures. So, I'm grounded at home, listening to music and catching up on books.

Yesterday (before the "stuff" happened):
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:43

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 522>