Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 02:02
Sunday...

Poseidotica - El Dilema Del Origen  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  2015)   Instrumental  progressive rock, psychedelic rock 
Humo Del Cairo - Vol. II  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  2011)   Heavy psych, stoner trio with Spanish vocals
Elder - Lore   (New Bedford, Mass.  2015)   Heavy psych, stoner, doom trio 
El Paramo - El Paramo  (Madrid, Spain  2008)   Instrumental psych, space, metal with dual guitars 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 02:52
Friday:
Quiet World - The Road
Cosmic Ground - III (Completely different from the previous album, the music is constantly evolving, very much to my liking Clap)
Trottoir - Erste
Devo - Freedom of Choice
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Samsara Blues Experiment - Long Distance Trip

Saturday:
Haken - Affinity
Kraftwerk - Electric Café
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:18
I've lost count of how many times I've listened to that Haken album over the last few days, Sam - at least ten plus! It does prove to be a very good album (although I think they place the least interesting song right at the start of the album), very melodic and full of strong tunes in amongst the twisty-turny proggy bits.

Awesome to hear about the third `Cosmic Ground' disc, I've literally just had it arrive (along with the most recent Electric Orange), and I'll be listening to it on the way home from work tonight in a couple of hours.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:28
It was my third listen and I'm starting to think it's quite good too. I thought it was horrible at first listen LOL

I heard the three albums only once and the new one was the most impressive. There's plenty of fast paced sequencer action, the kind I really like about TD Cool
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:33
I know what you mean about `Affinity', on my first listen I thought it was kind of dull, even if some of the instrumental bits sounded quite promising. But the strong stunes reveal themselves quite quickly after that. That `1985' track is a ripper, so too the 15 minute piece `The Architect'! It doesn't feel as long after plenty of listens either, and it's thankfully not `Astonishing' length!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 08:07
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Steely Dan - "Pretzel Logic"
Steely Dan - "Aja"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
Steely Dan - "The Royal Scam"
dxct - "Tea EP"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
Steely Dan - "Can't Buy a Thrill"
Steely Dan - "Pretzel Logic"

Wow!  Quite a day.  Thumbs Up

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:11
1349 - "Hellfire": real fast black metal, fiery for sure, but the relentless focus on velocity above all else got boring after a few songs.

Echo & The Bunnymen - "Heaven Up Here": Nice atmospheric post-punk vibe, and it's aged pretty well...arguably moreso than the rest of their first four releases.

Jolin Tsai - "Play": Pop stuff, but every once in a blue moon I just want to hear a woman sing in mandarin, and Jolin is one of my very few go-to's for that.

Anderson/Stolt - "Invention of Knowledge": Listening to this, I realize that we love with our hearts as we seek for the truth and the understanding.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:14
^^ Donald Fagen has a quite enjoyable solo album from the early 80's.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 24 2016 at 10:14
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:20
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Anderson/Stolt - "Invention of Knowledge": Listening to this, I realize that we love with our hearts as we seek for the truth and the understanding.

Yeah it's nice to hear Jon branch out lyrically.

I wish he'd shut up from time to time though. Just a bit. That way we could hear the music - maybe a little break, a solo something different than a verse, bridge or a chorus...but hey that's just me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I wish he'd shut up from time to time though. Just a bit. That way we could hear the music - maybe a little break, a solo something different than a verse, bridge or a chorus...but hey that's just me.

Don't worry, you are not alone . Great record, though.
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Yeah it's nice to hear Jon branch out lyrically.

Not just you, it was like Jon had some magic crystal-induced vision and revelation just before recording time and just couldn't stop repeating these same ideas and phrases over and over during his studio takes. I don't hate it, and an album with this sort of thinking behind it is pretty refreshing in this cynical age, but it sure gets grating at times...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 12:14
Well I'm glad I'm not alone.

After all everything is everything and rumour has it that Jon's vocals can induce boners in sperm whales.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 15:29
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde Di Aries
The Residents - Not Available
Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemminge
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Area - Crac!

Even when I listen to entirely different albums from entirely different genres, it always comes down to the 1970's...  As a millennial, this is mystifying. Was the decade really that great or is it somehow just the one I'm familiar with the most?

doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 16:33
Amon Duul II Carnival in Babylon
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 16:39
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde Di Aries
The Residents - Not Available
Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemminge
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Area - Crac!

Even when I listen to entirely different albums from entirely different genres, it always comes down to the 1970's...  As a millennial, this is mystifying. Was the decade really that great or is it somehow just the one I'm familiar with the most?

I find myself thinking the same thing a lot. Personally I don't think the 70's was a more enlightened or creative time, musically. I think it has more to do with the production aesthetics of the day compared to now. Loudness war and digital effects and all, it kind of sucks the life out of a lot of otherwise great music. On a related note, I tend to prefer modern albums that were recorded on analog tape. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 18:57
O.R.k. - Inflamed Rides
Metallic Taste of Blood - Doctoring the Dead
BOC - Club Ninja
Lapera - L'Acqua Purificatrice
Murple - Il Viaggio

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 20:19
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I find myself thinking the same thing a lot. Personally I don't think the 70's was a more enlightened or creative time, musically. I think it has more to do with the production aesthetics of the day compared to now. Loudness war and digital effects and all, it kind of sucks the life out of a lot of otherwise great music. On a related note, I tend to prefer modern albums that were recorded on analog tape. 

I'm not sure production can honestly make such a substantial difference that 70's seem so superior not just to the modern day but in comparison to virtually every decade. As someone with hearing loss, I actually struggle with some 70's groups that have weaker, quieter production and yet still find something worthwhile in them that's lacking in perfectly recorded modern music. But then, I don't think music necessarily is worse either, there's just so much more of it and artists have to record so much more for an album that they can never live up to the consistency of a 40 minute album from the 70's. 

Most likely, it was just a perfection storm of rock, jazz, and experimentation. Rock really started hitting its stride around 1967, so it just had a couple more years to go before unleashing an absolute onslaught of great material for a full decade. Jazz was best in the 60's, but picked up lots of new tricks and ideas going into the 70's, and was interacting much more with rock. And of course, both genres were fully ready and capable then of properly experimenting. 

The years of my ten favorite albums are as follows (approximate):
Most of those are from different genres entirely, so it's not just a bias for prog specifically. There's some spark from the late 60's through the early 80's that I simply can't explain, and it can't be production techniques alone. But then I've listened to much more music from the 70's than any other decade...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 20:38
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

It was really that great.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 21:16
Steely Dan - "Aja"
Steely Dan - "Gaucho"
Steely Dan - "The Royal Scam"
v/a - "Real '70s: R&B" disc 1

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wow!  Quite a day.  Thumbs Up
Help me I think I have a problem...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 21:29
^Don't forget the Fagen "Nightfly" album....like another Dan record pretty much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 522>