Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 09:28
Gone a little crazy with Mr. Gabriel works.

PG-- Security ( flawless album. On par with anything else done except UP. )
PG-- Live in Athens (1987) (great audio quality and tony levin is a beast on this one!)
PG-- ....And I'll scratch yours. ( agh. The cover of Bowie's Heroes is gorgeous. Amazing album. No guitar and no drums. Pretty intense album. )
PG-- Scratch
PG-- 3: Melt ( Biko really is one of his best, however performed live is even better. )
Rainbow-- Live In Germany (1976) ( one of the very best live, hard rock albums I've come across recently. Holy god!
Brad Fiedal-- Terminator (motion picture score. )
Metallica-- Hardwired...to self destruct (disc 1 only. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 09:34
It's strange, Nick, other than owning his first solo album (and I probably haven't listened to it in...twenty years at this point?), I didn't feel interested enough to explore the next few, but I dig pick up `So' (classy and OK), and I've always found `Us' excellent. Of course you know my feelings on `Up'! Still haven't found that CD of it again, though, it's in the back room somewhere!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 12:57
Tonight's choices:

Zombi – Shape Shift – With one or two exceptions, this is a seriously unengaging album for me. Are their earlier ones better/more interesting?

Cosmic Ground - III
Tangerine Dream – The Klangwald Performance, November 25th, 1972.
Peter Baumann – Romance ‘76
Pink Floyd – Ummagumma (studio set)
Ash Ra Tempel – Inventions for Electric Guitar
Matching Mole – s/t

Vangelis – Albedo 0.39 – Some of this is great, other bits are completely inane and infuriating!

Deuter – D – Damn Krautrock classic.

Hawkwind – In Search of Space – How strange, my first listen in almost two years and I was thinking how similar parts of it sound to the early Amon Duul 2 albums, and then I read that early AD2 member Dave Anderson played bass on it – all makes sense now!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 13:24
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Gone a little crazy with Mr. Gabriel works.

PG-- Security ( flawless album. On par with anything else done except UP. )
PG-- Live in Athens (1987) (great audio quality and tony levin is a beast on this one!)
PG-- ....And I'll scratch yours. ( agh. The cover of Bowie's Heroes is gorgeous. Amazing album. No guitar and no drums. Pretty intense album. )
PG-- Scratch
PG-- 3: Melt ( Biko really is one of his best, however performed live is even better. )

Athens, what a concert!
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 19:07
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Orthrelm - OV
Robert Ashley - Automatic Writing
Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
Sunn 0))) - Monoliths and Dimensions

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 19:28
Fleetwood Mac - "Future Games": With the exception of the instrumental that was thrown on to increase the number of songs by the label, it's quite flawless. Almost feels like a precursor to shoegaze in a way.

Inter Arma - "Paradise Gallows": Did I already pimp this album? Whatever, it's great and I can't stop listening to it and picking up new things along the way. For fans of "extreme" music.

Fuki Commune - "Welcome!": On hiatus Light Bringer singer's solo album is more along the lines of Jpop but her thirst for loud music still shines through with some blazing numbers. Her voice is just incredible...what range and power!!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 21:27
Chvrches - "The Bones of What You Believe"
Mr Twin Sister - s/t
Jon Hopkins - "Immunity"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 01:57
Friday...

Dead Sea Apes - High Evolutionary  (Manchester, England  2014)
Instrumental, krautrock, desert, drone trio 

Monomyth - Further   (The Hague, NL  2014)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Kayros - Hombre De Piedra   (Concepcion, Chile  2016)
Psychedelic, doom, grunge, stoner 

Kayleth - Space Muffin  (Verona, Italy  2015)
Psych, space, doom, stoner 

SubRosa - For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages  (Salt Lake City, Utah  2016)
Experimental, sludge, doom with one guitar and two violins

The Cosmic Dead - Inner Sanctum  (Glasgow, Scotland  2013)
Instrumental, psych / space rock, krautrock 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 12:35
Last three days:
Gotic - Escenes
Girón - Forest
Carmen - Fandangos in Space (Thanks for reminding me of it, Michael)
Cosmic Ground - III
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 12:42
Cheers for reminding me to dig out that first Girón album in return, buddy! Will try to remember it for tonight.

Tonight's choices:

Tangerine Dream – Atem
Tangerine Dream – Stratosfear
Tangerine Dream - The Deutschlandhalle Concert, Berlin, 29th November 1973.

Pink Floyd – Atom Heart Mother

Nathan – Nebulosa – Definitely very close to being in my top 20 discs of 2016. Starts off ordinary then suddenly starts coming constantly alive with some wonderful music as it progresses.

Ashra – Blackouts – A good album, but I don’t like the way it seems to have endless soloing, gets a little tiring. The last 4-part `Lotus’ track is the most interesting moment.

Krakatau – Water Near a Bridge – Man, the first track is groovy and melodic, but the rest of the album is pure Krautrock/Heldon/Cluster/early T.Dream droning ambience. Really surprising and very impressive. Can’t wait to see them live next week with Dungen.

Kl(Aus) – s/t

Murple - Io Sono Murple – still a reliably charming Seventies Italian album.

Murple – Il Viaggio – very easy to enjoy modern album from them too.

Klaus Schulze & Gunter Schickert – The Schulze-Schikert Session, 26th September 1975 – Anybody else have this CD? Sounds like Schulze overdosing on the fizzy synths of `Timewind’ mixed with Schikert's shimmering guitars.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 03 2016 at 12:43
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 12:54
Borden, Ferraro, Godin, Halo & Lopatin - FRKWYS Vol. 7
Magma - Mekanďk Destruktďw Kommandöh
Charlie Mariano & Chris Hinze - Blue Stone
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 16:54
Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South - Some good ol' Southern Rock goodness to start the day. This is probably my least favourite Allman release of their first 4 or 5, but there are still a few gems on it that make it worthwhile listening to the studio tracks as opposed to just live versions. Revival is an awesome opening track (and one that I don't think they ever did live back in the day); a spirited hippie anthem with a nice prog-sounding intro. Elizabeth Reed, of course, has about 5 trillion definitive live versions, but I don't think there's a single version I've heard that's been unenjoyable, the studio version included. Always a pleasure to hear. And Leave Your Blues At Home is a cool, funky closer. 

Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East - This, along with Deep Purple's Burn right before it, filled my headbanging and air guitar quota for the weekend. This album rocks! I've always considered it to be the seminal Judas Priest release (along with Killing Machine) because it includes a lot of their best material (Sinner, Genocide, Exciter) but with more energy and better production than the studio releases. This is my kind of metal!

Camel - Moonmadness - I think it's pretty hard to find an album that would sound more flaccid than this one directly after putting on Unleashed In The East. Maybe The Snow Goose or 80's Camel. Anyhow, by the time I'd settled down a little, I began to remember why I used to love this album so much. The melodies are superb! Not as good as Mirage, but Chord Change and Lunar Sea always make this album worth putting on. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 17:22
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi
Herbie Hancock - Crossings
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (CD1)
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Invisible - Durazno Sangrando
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 18:01
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi
Herbie Hancock - Crossings
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (CD1)
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Invisible - Durazno Sangrando

Damn! That's a fine listening day.

Alice Coltrane - Ptah The El Daoud
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Swans - Cop
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 21:24
Mr Twin Sister - s/t
AIR - "Moon Safari"
Luomo - "Vocalcity"
Holy Other - "Held"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 23:05
Saturday...

Lunar Mgc - Planet Geisha  (Thessaloniki, Greece  2016)
Instrumental, psych, space trio 

It's Not Night: It's Space - Our Birth Is But A Sleep And A Forgetting  (New Paltz, NY  2016)
Instrumental, heavy rock, psych, stoner trio

Grails - Deep Politics  (Portland, Oregon  2011)
Instrumental, dark, atmospheric 

Giant Horizon - Giant Horizon  (Sopron, Hungary  2016)
Very heavy stoner rock, fuzz 

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 03:06
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Tymon I don't know this album I just know Charlie Mariano from Supersister's fourth album Iskander, did you by any chance listened to that album? I think it's something you would really dig.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 03:27
Great album that `Iskandar', Sagi! Not much like the other Supersister discs, but a terrific album in its own right!

I sadly don't have it, though, unfortunately. It's one of those titles that, like now, discussion of it comes up once in a while and I think `I really should get on to that one...', and then I've forgotten about it five minutes later!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 03:34
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Tymon I don't know this album I just know Charlie Mariano from Supersister's fourth album Iskander, did you by any chance listened to that album? I think it's something you would really dig.

I have listened to parts of Iskander, but I somehow have never got around to checking the whole album out (which is quite a shame by the way). I didn't know, however, it was Charlie Mariano playing sax on that album! His story is fascinating with how he went from a 50's bebopper to an avant-jazzer working with young European groups like Embryo and (now I know more) Supersister. Thanks for the heads up, Sagi, I'll need to investigate this release. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 07:45
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Tonight's choices:

Zombi – Shape Shift – With one or two exceptions, this is a seriously unengaging album for me. Are their earlier ones better/more interesting?

Cosmic Ground - III
Tangerine Dream – The Klangwald Performance, November 25th, 1972.
Peter Baumann – Romance ‘76
Pink Floyd – Ummagumma (studio set)
Ash Ra Tempel – Inventions for Electric Guitar
Matching Mole – s/t

Vangelis – Albedo 0.39 – Some of this is great, other bits are completely inane and infuriating!

Deuter – D – Damn Krautrock classic.

Hawkwind – In Search of Space – How strange, my first listen in almost two years and I was thinking how similar parts of it sound to the early Amon Duul 2 albums, and then I read that early AD2 member Dave Anderson played bass on it – all makes sense now!

Michael. Hello buddy. Zombi are worth venturing into.
I find the albums SPIRIT ANIMAL and SURFACE TO AIR would really be worth your time.
I really love Spirit Animal and I believe I wrote a passionate review on it a few years back.
Really great due and I've had the pleasure of seeing them live. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 523>