Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 525>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 00:24
Thursday...

Frozen Planet...1969 - Electric Smokehouse  (Sydney/Canberra, Australia  2017)
Instrumental, guitar driven, heavy space jam trio 

Astral Son - Mind's Eye  (Groningen, Holland  2016)
Space rock, krautrock, psychedelia, electronic 

Grotto - Smokonomicon   (Izegem, Belgium  2016)
Instrumental stoner rock trio with some psych and doom 

Red Void - Red Void   (Hobart, Tasmania  2017)
Instrumental hard rock, psych rock trio 

Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man II   (Australia  2014)
Instrumental heavy psychedelic jams 

Kosmodrom - Sonnenfracht   (Karlsruhe, Germany  2015)
Mostly instrumental, dual guitar, heavy rock, desert, stoner

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 11:23
^ What happened? Ouch

Will Z. - New Start (Recommended for fans of Popol Vuh Thumbs Up)
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Eloy - Power and the Passion
Pharoah Sanders - Elevation
Modest Midget - Crysis
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 08:20
Listening to the turtle right before turning in (must've been 4 in the morning as the whole left side of my body currently is killing me (Croaking sounds emanate from my pelvis right up through to my shoulder like those you hear on old wooden ships). However painful it feels I still very much believe that all of this is my body sloooooowly returning to it's normal self. The tower of Piza correcting itself internally.) and I suddenly thought of King Crimson's Lizard. Those sputtering jazzy touches to the horns as well as that ever so beautiful presence of the mellotron. Gotta love that sucker! Sounds like big shafts of light.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant (Tanti auguri Paolo Beer)

Grazie Samuel Smile
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 03:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny thing about that MT album is that everyone seems to be describing it differently. You mention GG while I feel there is an early Van Damme Generator vibe only it comes off rather psychedelic. I've heard other mention early Floyd too.
But yeah like I said, should be fun to switch those ears around
Yes, I thought the second track sounded like VdGG... without Hammill to ruin it LOL

Yesterday:
Ümit! - The Spirit of Ümit!
The Zodiac - Cosmic Sound (Inspired by the recent poll Tongue)
Prof. Wolfff - s/t
Exil - Fusionen
Edgar Froese - Stuntman (Saying goodbye to the helmet LOL)
PFM - L'Isola di Niente Approve
Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant (Tanti auguri Paolo Beer)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 01:02
Wednesday...

Deaf Radio - Alarm   (Athens, Greece  2017)
Heavy rock, desert rock with a catchy sound 

Sulfur Giant - Towards The Light  (Viana Do Castelo, Portugal  2014)
Self released debut EP 

Cambrian Explosion - The Sun EP   (Portland, Oregon  2013)
Psychedelic stoner rock 

Bone Man - Shapeshifter  (Kiel, Germany  2015)
Heavy psych, grunge, stoner trio 

The Egocentrics - Love Fear Choices And Astronauts  (Timisoara, Romania  2010)
Instrumental, psychedelic space, jam trio 

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:35
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Tymon – I thought of a lesser known album that you might like, hope you haven’t spun it before! German band Prof. Wolfff’s sole self-titled debut from 1972. I actually thought I’d reviewed it years ago but it slipped me by (might have to fix that!). I think it’s a ripper beginning to end, short and sweet too, although the opening track is the real killer. Probably not a massively important German disc, but definitely one of my top personal favourites. I wish more people went on about it!

Prof. Wolff - Prof. Wolff Michael, thanks a lot for that recommendation, they are a very interesting band. I don't know how about you, but I can feel a strong RPI-like atmosphere all around this one (at times I was reminded of Museo Rosenbach), but they have something that's just typical of heavier German rock groups, this very rough, gritty quality, I really don't know how to put it. In this respect, I don't think they are that far from Triumvirat or Sixty-Nine (great unknown band in a similar vein, by the way). Again, thank you for that recommendation, I really enjoyed the album. Smile Also, the cover art is very nice.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - January 11 2017 at 12:36
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:39
^ yeah, I'm trying to get my list organized somehow...it's hard but I'm getting there.

So......is that you there in the picture 30 years ago? LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:35
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Today...

Gadi Caplan (twice...what a beautiful album)
Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother
SBB - Hofors 1975 (Another excellent live album, it doesn't get to Karlstad hights but still very good)
Heldon - Un Reve Sans...
Meta Meta - mm3 (I guess this is my favorite album this year, right there with UTO)
Paatos - Timeloss
The Winstons - S/T

Very nice picks there Sagi
I still have to get my hands on that SBB album, thanks for reminding me (John did too with his review)
Cool to see another fan of Gadi Caplan. Great album on first listen but at the same time a real grower...at least for me.
MM3 is da bee's knees as well - right on capitan!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:30
I will have to lend you my ears one day. The ol switcheroo.

Funny thing about that MT album is that everyone seems to be describing it differently. You mention GG while I feel there is an early Van Damme Generator vibe only it comes off rather psychedelic. I've heard other mention early Floyd too.
But yeah like I said, should be fun to switch those ears around

Today up until now:
Ulver - ABCCBBEJ (something with letters anyway. Genuinely enjoyed it and can't for the life of me understand why I haven't spun it for months (half year even?). Another one to cram inside an already full list.)
Thy Catafalque - Meta
Goat - Requiem
Syd Arthur - Apricity (Gets better and better with every new spin. I get why many would dislike the rather poppish natire of some of the songs, but I don't care. Sounds wonderful to these ears.)
La Bocca della Veritá - Avenoth
Hero - s/t (Strange obscurity from 1970s Italy sounding much closer to Krautrock than RPI.)
Tangerine Dream - Box Set (Reims gigs)

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:23
Today...

Gadi Caplan (twice...what a beautiful album)
Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother
SBB - Hofors 1975 (Another excellent live album, it doesn't get to Karlstad hights but still very good)
Heldon - Un Reve Sans...
Meta Meta - mm3 (I guess this is my favorite album this year, right there with UTO)
Paatos - Timeloss
The Winstons - S/T
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well to be perfectly fair it has been a while since I last span Our Oceans I just found the fluid melodic almost Mars Volta-like feel of Promenade sounded distinctly like Our Oceans. The guitar playing in particular has that jazzy mumbling quality to it that I found present in both releases. Then again may just be my ears playing tricks on me

How was that Mother Turtle btw?
It sounded like Post Rock-ish Alt Rock with some occasional Jazz flavour. I had a hard time listening to the whole thing, all the tracks are very much alike.

I really enjoyed it, very diverse and I liked the GG influences. There's a lot happening on that album, I'll have to give it another listen soon Thumbs Up

Edited by Meltdowner - January 11 2017 at 10:17
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 08:37
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Buon Vecchio Charlie - S/T - Wow, what a ride! For such a short album, there's some great territory covered here. Thick, meaty sax solos, smokin' organ with some Jon Lord flavours, and the succulent sweetness of that classical guitar fingerstyle. All of the jazz craziness and breathtaking romance that you gotta love the Italians for is proud on display here. Fantastic!

Bauhaus - Stairway To Escher - Apparently this was a Buon Vecchio Charlie offshoot released some time later, so it's no surprise that that same signature sax is front and centre, still blessing my ears. Incredibly creative - and super well performed - fusion material right here. 

I agree with you, those albums are excellent, some of the best italian jazz-rock bands/albums! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:57
How was that Mother Turtle btw?

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Mother Turtle - II
La Bocca della Verità - Avenoth
Giusto Pio - Motore Immobile
Our Oceans - s/t (I honestly can't find any similarities with Promenade, David Ermm)
Omega - Time Robber (Being more familiar with late 70's Hawkwind, the second track of side 2 didn't shock me like before.)

Well to be perfectly fair it has been a while since I last span Our Oceans I just found the fluid melodic almost Mars Volta-like feel of Promenade sounded distinctly like Our Oceans. The guitar playing in particular has that jazzy mumbling quality to it that I found present in both releases. Then again may just be my ears playing tricks on me

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:49
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:46
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Pulsonica - Fuera De Tiempo  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  2015)
"Afro Latin rhythms with Progressive Rock styles" 

Wow, Gary, I had no idea they'd put out another album. I remember really liking their `Tribaloide' album from a few years ago, but was always annoyed I never got a CD of it (which I'm certain were available for a while), but now that I look into it I might have been mistaken and it was download only...
I think you're right about download only but I'd really like to get a physical copy of Fuera De Tiempo.
These guys (and girl) are really tight and have a great sound. They have a few "live in the studio" videos on YouTube that are worth watching. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 05:52
^ My copy of Blakulla is still sealed. I'm very slowly going through my recent purchases, so I won't feel like buying more soon Embarrassed

That Prof Wolfff albums sounds great, like a Krautrock-flavoured Procol Harum Thumbs Up
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 04:50
Agitation Free – Malesch
Brainticket – Psychonaut
Casa das Maquinas – Lar de Maravilhas
Eloy – Floating
Novalis - Sommerabend
Nosferatu – s/t
Atomic Rooster – In Hearing of
Blakulla – s/t - How did you end up going with this one, Sam?
M. Efekt – Svitanie
Message – The Dawn Anew is Coming
Shicke, Fuhrs, Frohling – Symphonic Pictures
Popul Vuh – In den Garten Phraraos
Prof Wolfff – s/t

Hey Tymon – I thought of a lesser known album that you might like, hope you haven’t spun it before! German band Prof. Wolfff’s sole self-titled debut from 1972. I actually thought I’d reviewed it years ago but it slipped me by (might have to fix that!). I think it’s a ripper beginning to end, short and sweet too, although the opening track is the real killer. Probably not a massively important German disc, but definitely one of my top personal favourites. I wish more people went on about it!

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 03:30
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Pulsonica - Fuera De Tiempo  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  2015)
"Afro Latin rhythms with Progressive Rock styles" 

Wow, Gary, I had no idea they'd put out another album. I remember really liking their `Tribaloide' album from a few years ago, but was always annoyed I never got a CD of it (which I'm certain were available for a while), but now that I look into it I might have been mistaken and it was download only...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 525>