Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 525>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 09:45
Yeah, definitely haven't heard the new album yet, mate. I used to have this t-shirt (probably still got it somewhere, although it wouldn't fit anymore!), my ex-partner HATED me wearing it, she used to get very jealous and angry, so silly!

(sorry, not the best pic, but you get the idea of the sexiness of it!)

As for the gig, frontwoman Cristina Martinez stumbled on stage, looked mighty pissed off and more than a little wasted. She was singing into a microphone that clearly wasn't working, and when a poor roadie raced on stage to try and fix it, she booted him square in the balls from behind. She then took an instant dislike to a poor girl that had clearly been dragged along by her boyfriend, she got down on all fours like she was stalking the girl, singing directly into her eyes for about three minutes straight with this mocking scorn! She then got up and hurled herself into the crowd, starting wildly swinging punches and kicks at everyone (my mate copped a nasty bloody gash from her heels down his leg!), she then got back on stage and called a girlfriend out, and they finished the set in what can only be described as bad drunk karaoke! Despite being the lead act, all up I think they played a little over 45 minutes before heading off?! Oh, and now that I think about it, pretty sure my mate copped a knee to the balls as well! Good times!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 09:14
^If you like Pussy Galore, then you will like this their first album too! It´s the noisiest album from them. They released also new album last year called "Brood X" it´s really great, quite the same style as Whiteout. Never seen Boss Hog live (I really would like to) but seen Jon Spencer Blues Explosion twice.

Btw CAPTCHA is really wild again, this is fourth time, tried three times reply to you.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 08:48
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Boss Hog: Cold Hands

Wow, man, I never heard this one, but I used to be obsessed in their self-titled album from 1995, and I used to think that `Whiteout' was one of the sexiest albums I'd ever heard, used to play it all the time, loved all the vintage electronics on that one. Boss Hog was also the absolute single worst gig I've ever attended when they played in Melbourne many a year ago, but it was hugely memorable for a ton of other reasons!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 08:38
Caravan: For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night
Tim Buckley: s/t
Boss Hog: Cold Hands
Leonard Cohen: Songs From a Room
Chicago: Chicago at Carnegie Hall
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 22:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I am completely nuts about that Faust album. There's just something there that perfectly echoes the title. It's unique and that is saying something inside a career as far reaching as Faust's.

Been listening to a lot of music today:

Thy Catafalque - Meta (Prog? Psych? Black Metal? Folk? What? Yeah..and wow.)
The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! (Mick Taylor is the man!)
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time (Always loved the vocals because they remind me of a romantic Jim Morrison)
Secret Oyster - Furtive Pearl
deadmau5 - Stuff I Used To Do
Now: Heldon - Agneta Nilsson (What if the Faust album IV had been a collaboration between a strangely circular playing French Robert Fripp and extraterrestrial bees on strange metallic instruments?)
I love almost all the Faust records I`ve heard, but have to say Fresh Air really is one of their greatest among Faust Tapes and Faust IV. About your listenings, that Stones live is their best live! And from your earlier list, I really love also Parachute although S.F. Sorrow is little greater to me, but still I think Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and Abbey Road get over any Pretty Things record. But really Parachute was a lot better than Let It Be, but it really hadn´t got much attention in 1970.

And something more from the Stones, Finland television showed last night Performance-movie where were Jagger and Pallenberg. It was lot better than I thought, lots of the feelings of the sixties/seventies. Also before that came great the Who/Stamp/Lambert-document.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 20:43
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Nice day! How do you like that Emeralds album? I've discovered it around two months ago, had a few listens, then kind of forgot about it, but, to me, it is really pleasant.

It was my second listening and at this point I'd say it contains some of my favourite moments in electronic music. It definitely has a lot going on for an album that I would refer to as "ambient". Both times I've listened to it the first two tracks were quite a powerful experience but I do feel like their ideas start to linger on after about the first half and it gets a bit tiring.

Casiopea - s/t
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
OOIOO - Taiga
Kraftwerk - Computerwelt
Sun Ra - Sound of Joy
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 14:44
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

AussieByrd, curious about your take on Le Groupe X, if you’re familiar. (It’s Italian, I got the rec from the RPI team years ago). I love it.

Absolutely never heard them, mate, but will have a look on Youtube for some clips and report back, thanks for the tip-off.

Just a few for me tonight, insanely busy night of nightshift tonight:

The Beach Boys – Carl and the Passions/”So Tough!” – Really quite a good Seventies rock album.

The Beatles – Rubber Soul – Lordy, probably the first time I’ve spun a Beatles album in over ten years!

The Byrds – Ballad of Easy Rider
Santana - Welcome
Steve Roach – Bloodmoon Rising: Night 1

Weather Report – I Sing the Body Electric – Superb! I accidently discovered I had two WR LP’s in my collection that I’ve never listened to, and I was under the (completely wrong) impression they were something of a Mahavishnu Orchestra-type group. Very pleasantly surprised with what I discovered on this one!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 11:58
^I am completely nuts about that Faust album. There's just something there that perfectly echoes the title. It's unique and that is saying something inside a career as far reaching as Faust's.

Been listening to a lot of music today:

Thy Catafalque - Meta (Prog? Psych? Black Metal? Folk? What? Yeah..and wow.)
The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! (Mick Taylor is the man!)
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time (Always loved the vocals because they remind me of a romantic Jim Morrison)
Secret Oyster - Furtive Pearl
deadmau5 - Stuff I Used To Do
Now: Heldon - Agneta Nilsson (What if the Faust album IV had been a collaboration between a strangely circular playing French Robert Fripp and extraterrestrial bees on strange metallic instruments?)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 10:58
Yesterday & Today:
Simon & Garfunkel: the Concert In Central Park
Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won
Faust: Fresh Air
Auri: s/t
Humble Pie: s/t
Sonic Youth: Kali Yug Express e.p.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 10:01
Yeah baby! That Le Groupe X album is smoking...but in a 'different' way.
I made lasagna the last time I span it. I vividly remember the experience.

Yesterday:
Perry Leopold - Christian Lucifer (Sweet pomegranate this is good! Been far too long. It was so good I played it twice plus once today. Psych folk rock with lots of oboe and gentle horns. Like sitting on an uncut lawn.)
Death Grips - Niggas On The Moon (More like outer space hip hop)
The Pretty Things - Parachute (I prefer this over most Beatles albums)
Steve Miller Band - Brave New World (Kow Kow is my bag)
The Prodigy - Experience
Henry Cow - Legend
The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge (Such a great post-punk album...I just forget I own it some times)
deadmau5 - Stuff I Used To Do (Kinda like a modern Orbital)

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 17:20
The Eat | It’s not the Eat, it’s the Humidity (disc 2)
Sonic Youth | Sonic Youth EP
Le Groupe X | Out Off
Grateful Dead | Terrapin Station
Thee Oh Sees | Castlemania
Thee Oh Sees | Warm Slime
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Mature Themes
Can | Lost Tapes Box Set (disc 2)
Karlheinz Stockhausen | Hymnen
Julian Cope | Skellington 3

AussieByrd, curious about your take on Le Groupe X, if you’re familiar. (It’s Italian, I got the rec from the RPI team years ago). I love it.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 04 2018 at 17:23
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 14:54
Tonight’s choices:

U.K – s/t
The Beach Boys – Sunflower

The Beach Boys – Surf’s Up (Bloody hell, I swear `Til I Die’ is the most depressing f*cking song ever! I can’t listen to it without breaking down and clicking just a little too closely to the lyrics )

Iron Maiden – Somewhere in Time
Mahavishnu Orchestra – Between Nothingness & Eternity (Lord I draw an absolute blank listening to this group... )
Doris Norton – Nortoncomputerforpeace

Vangelis – Direct – For 1988, still a very respectable album from the man, actually quite `prog-rock’.

Alio Die – Kalisz Concert – a beautifully unhurried and mysterious eastern-flavoured live ambient performance from the Italian artist.

Ajna – An Era of Torment – oddly quite comfortingly ambient and lulling for a gloomy drone album (and especially one with that kind of title! )
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 12:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

“The Prosthetic Cubans”
Good old Marc Ribot. What’s that one like?
With first time listening I like it quite much. Cuban music with great Ribot guitar sounds.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:09
Herbie Hancock - Man-Child
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm sure you could pick up a CD of that `Little Kix' album dirt cheap, Sam. It's quite unloved, and there was a while I used to see it in bargain bins everywhere. Not sure why it was ordered up in such larger quantities in the first place, but it's definitely deserving of a home. If I come across another one myself I'll grab it to send to you.

I've got the first....I guess six Oasis albums? From the Nineties when I was right into all the British indie rock/pop stuff, but I put a bunch of that stuff away in boxes in a cupboard because of not really listening to it anymore. I don't want to get rid of them, but I'd rather my shelves be devoted to the proggy stuff. I seem to think they one you had was called `Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'? I think to recall one track called `Gas Panic!' was almost better than anything else on the disc and was pretty impressive for them. I used to attend weekly indie-pop nights at a club in the city they was big on the great young British bands of that era like Suede (now there's a band you might like, not so far removed from the New Romantic stuff in parts), Kula Shaker, early Verve, etc. Very fond memories of my late teen years in some ways! 

Oh, and that particular Roach and Rich album sounds SUPERB! Just picked up an inexpensive second-hand CD listed on local Ebay, so this clip will tide me over until it arrives in a couple of days
Cool, thanks! I still have to listen to their debut as well.

I never heard any Suede, what do you recommend?

Sounds good, I'll have to return to it when I'm in the mood, which I haven't been in a long while :/

From the prime years (because apparently they've reformed and have put out several albums more recently, which I was totally unaware of until quite recently), essentially it's thought that their self-titled debut and especially their second album `Dog Man Star' had more depth and weight (likely because of their guitarist at the time), although they were very fancy and quite pretentious! Then when he left, their third album `Coming Up' kind of reverted to more obvious poppier material. But I seem to recall their fourth album `Head Music' was pretty electronic heavy and a step up again, but the one after it `A New Morning' raced back to glossier indie-pop, and they split soon after. No idea what the newer albums are like. Start with the debut or `Dog Man Star' and see if you dig them...you may hate their glam, androgynous indie-pop posturing!

Did you ever check out the first Verve album? It's a beautiful rambling psychedelic gem.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 10:41
Franco Battiato - La Voce del Padrone
The Human League - Dare
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
La Coscienza di Zeno - Il Giro del Cappio
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 10:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm sure you could pick up a CD of that `Little Kix' album dirt cheap, Sam. It's quite unloved, and there was a while I used to see it in bargain bins everywhere. Not sure why it was ordered up in such larger quantities in the first place, but it's definitely deserving of a home. If I come across another one myself I'll grab it to send to you.

I've got the first....I guess six Oasis albums? From the Nineties when I was right into all the British indie rock/pop stuff, but I put a bunch of that stuff away in boxes in a cupboard because of not really listening to it anymore. I don't want to get rid of them, but I'd rather my shelves be devoted to the proggy stuff. I seem to think they one you had was called `Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'? I think to recall one track called `Gas Panic!' was almost better than anything else on the disc and was pretty impressive for them. I used to attend weekly indie-pop nights at a club in the city they was big on the great young British bands of that era like Suede (now there's a band you might like, not so far removed from the New Romantic stuff in parts), Kula Shaker, early Verve, etc. Very fond memories of my late teen years in some ways! 

Oh, and that particular Roach and Rich album sounds SUPERB! Just picked up an inexpensive second-hand CD listed on local Ebay, so this clip will tide me over until it arrives in a couple of days
Cool, thanks! I still have to listen to their debut as well.

I never heard any Suede, what do you recommend?

Sounds good, I'll have to return to it when I'm in the mood, which I haven't been in a long while :/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 07:39
Last night:

Renaissance – Ashes are Burning
The Beach Boys – Friends
The Beach Boys – 20/20
Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire
Man – s/t
Novela – La Songerie

The Verve – A Storm in Heaven – sigh….when they were an amazing psychedelic band...what happened?!

Juta Takahashi – Light and Shadows
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 05:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks man. It's been a while Tymon. Good to hear from you

Yeah, David, it has been a while indeed. Also glad to see you around! Wink
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Sleep - The Sciences (This album kicks ass!)

Groovy! Knew you would like it. Smile
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

King Crimson - Live in Hyde Park
Cos - Postaeolian Robbery
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?

Nice day! How do you like that Emeralds album? I've discovered it around two months ago, had a few listens, then kind of forgot about it, but, to me, it is really pleasant.

Yesterday:
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
The Doors - Strange Days
Popol Vuh - In den Gärten Pharaos
Zacht Automaat - Disturbed Ground
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 22:17
Scott Walker | The Drift
Yo La Tengo | And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
Shudder to Think | Get Your Goat
Sly & the Family Stone | Fresh
Fever Ray | s/t
Art of Noise | The Drum n’ Bass Collection
Intersystems | Intersystems Number One
Flaming Lips | Oh My Gawd!...
Secret Oyster | Astarte
The Sea and Cake | s/t
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 525>