Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 265266267268269 524>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 20:48
^ Candy-O is the first album I bought on CD. Loved the Cars in the 80s and their stuff still sounds great today!

Today:
Beastie Boys | Ill Communication
Joe Walsh | So What
Nucleus | Under the Sun
Fleetwood Mac | Men of the World (comp of rare stuff from the Green era)
The Kinks | The Kink Kronikles
Goblin | Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark
MX-80 Sound | Hard Attack
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 20:50
Jim- Agents gets bashed quite a bit, but it's a true gem. Campy, dark, and pleasurable listening.  The songs are all over the place, little vignettes from a band that refuses to be put in a box.

So happy you liked Candy.  The next one is Panorama and is their biggest curve ball, their most challenging.  Less sing-along pop classics and more attempts to be -- dare I say -- progressive in the pop sense?  Some songs anyway.  My favorite is the single  Touch and Go, which has the most exquisite guitar solos (I believe there are two).  After this third album and its less radio-friendly approach, which I think was intentional on their part, they brought home the horse for the fourth one Shake It Up.  I still think all four are brilliant.  Heartbeat City felt like a different band to me...a tired band.  There are still deliciously catchy singles and the album was super successful, but it somehow doesn't have the magic as the first four to my ear. 

Edited by Finnforest - October 20 2018 at 20:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 20:55
Steve - That early Mac stuff is a never-ending exploration for me.  I've heard them much fewer times than the BN stuff and so they are a bit of a mystery.  But every time I play them, I'm amazed.  They seem both familiar and mysterious at the same time.  I love the bluesy jams and then the emergence of Christine and Bob Welch with their unique vibes.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 02:48
Yesterday:

The Cure - Faith
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dedekind Cut - $uccessor (very interesting modern progressive electronic, I'm pretty sure he samples early Klaus Schulze on one of the tracks)
Barrio Sur - बड़ा शोक (heart break)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mornar Popaj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mornar Popaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 11:28
Sedmina - II Dejanje - cacophonic prog folk, not impressed
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 18:28
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Jim- Agents gets bashed quite a bit, but it's a true gem. Campy, dark, and pleasurable listening.  The songs are all over the place, little vignettes from a band that refuses to be put in a box.

So happy you liked Candy.  The next one is Panorama and is their biggest curve ball, their most challenging.  Less sing-along pop classics and more attempts to be -- dare I say -- progressive in the pop sense?  Some songs anyway.  My favorite is the single  Touch and Go, which has the most exquisite guitar solos (I believe there are two).  After this third album and its less radio-friendly approach, which I think was intentional on their part, they brought home the horse for the fourth one Shake It Up.  I still think all four are brilliant.  Heartbeat City felt like a different band to me...a tired band.  There are still deliciously catchy singles and the album was super successful, but it somehow doesn't have the magic as the first four to my ear. 

Agents is actually my 2nd favorite album as a whole by BOC after Secret Treaties.  Always resonated with me for some reason.

You have intrigued me with Panorama mentioning that "P" word :) , it will be the next one to get.  I almost ordered the 4 album in 1 that you mentioned but as luck would have it, we hit another flea market (sort of a thing we like to do, and Thrift shops for a good causes) and I found Candy-O CD for about 2 bucks.  I am enjoying my Cars test drive of late, only 35 or so years late....thanks for the coaxing and insight!

Tonight:
The Cars - Candy-O (again)
Grateful Dead - Skeletons From the Closet
King Crimson - Islands
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 19:10
You're welcome Jim.  Same story for me.  Cars were all over radio back in the day, but I never really bought their albums, so it's been fun to check them out and realize how great they are.  Good luck finding copies of the others.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 03:04
This weekend:
Trovante - Chão Nosso
Johann Sebastian Bach - Works for Harpsichord
Sky - Sky
Michael Rother - Sterntaler
Level 42 - The Pursuit of Accidents
Fernando Sor - Guitar Duets Vol.1

Edited by Meltdowner - October 22 2018 at 03:05
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 16:45
Throbbing Gristle | 2nd Annual Report
The Kinks | Percy
The Kinks | Preservation Act One
The Kinks | Preservation Act Two
The Kinks | The Great Lost Kinks Album
The Weather Rabbit | More Stupidity (new ambient/collage work from Negativland ‘s Weatherman)
Amen Dunes | Love
United Waters | Sunburner
James Ferraro | iAsia 2 Raver
Parquet Courts | Wide Awake!
Parquet Courts | Human Performance

Edited by HolyMoly - October 22 2018 at 18:37

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:54
A night of doubles:

Uriah Heep – Very ‘eavy, Very ‘umble
Uriah Heep – Demons and Wizards
Deep Purple – Fireball
Deep Purple - Burn
Skin Alley – Two Quid Deal
Skin Alley - Skintight
Tangerine Dream – Hyperborea
Tangerine Dream - Poland
Earthstar – French Skyline
Earthstar – Humans Only
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 18:38
The Residents | Meet the Residents
Swans | Deliquessence
Guerilla Toss | Twisted Crystal
Fleetwood Mac | Penguin
Guerilla Toss | Eraser Stargazer
Joe Walsh | The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get
John Maus | Love is Real
Kayak | Royal Bed Bouncer
Eric Burdon & the Animals | Love Is

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 20:10
BOC - Mirrors (fantastic)
ACDC - Dirty Deeds (so good)
Aktuala - La Terra  
Natalie Merchant - Motherland
Rare Earth - Get Ready

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 04:34
Casiopea - Photographs
Mike Oldfield - Platinum
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (I heard the whole track/album on the radio.)
Malady - Toinen Toista
Overture - s/t
Can - Soon Over Babaluma
Rui Veloso - Ar de Rock
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 18:34
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Lover Boy (found extremely rare vinyl copy today after early voting. It’s a sign!)
Fleetwood Mac | Men of the World (3 discs of rare Green-era stuff) - again
Jerry Garcia | Garcia
White Stripes | De Stijl (what a cool album, finally giving this band my full attention)
Banco | ...di Terra
Brian Jonestown Massacre | Pol Pot’s Pleasure Penthouse

Edited by HolyMoly - October 24 2018 at 19:31

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 19:50
^Love Garcia album...Bob's solo album ain't bad either....and those early Stripes are cool too.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 03:07
Astrodome - II
Loosense - Doze
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più
Malady - Toinen Toista
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 07:29
Went on a post-Beatles binge:

John Lennon - Imagine: I know folks have issues with "How do You Sleep" ("HE HURTED PAUL'S FWEELINGS!") but hey, that song has groove. I also think "Oh Yoko!" is a nice pleasant number with some pep. Some of this album is a bit of a slog though. Maybe more than a bit.

Wings - Wild Life: I can't see how these warp-up sessions and a few mellow ditties deserves an upcoming mega boxset including a 120 page book? What is there to write about? "We tossed this off 7 months after Ram to get my band Wings rollin." I like how he loses it during the title track, but "classic status" feels revisionist. "Ooh he invented lo-fi indie rock!" Yeah sure.

Paul McCartney - Ram: Now this is greatness. Man I love the opener, and you know what, "Monkberry Moon Delight" cooks, ridiculous lyrics and all. If we wanna be all revisionist, you could say the song is commentary on Captain Beefheart's perceived genius.

George Harrison - Living in the Material World: No Madonna didn't cover anything off this. Starts off great with a one-two punch, but towards the end I started losing interest, unlike All Things Must Pass in which I only lose interest during the third LP's jam sessions. Still is pretty good overall, will listen again.

George Harrison - Extra Texture: Opener "You" is pretty euphoric with that great guitar melody, good enough that it's even reprised for a minute of so at the beginning of side two. Otherwise it's like barroom rock, not a dive bar, but an expensive resort hotel house-band deal. I got bored.

Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band: Sort of veers from crazy yet awesome ("Why") to annoying ("Why Not"). "Paper Shoes" was a cool trip of a closer. I know it might be 'hipsterish' to say her stuff is cool these days, but I've always been kinda nuts, though I don't think I would have liked this when I was a 6th grade Beatles nut.

Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound: In 6th grade art class we made origami boats and painted them. I called mine "The Wino Junko" since that song was in my head for some weird reason. My classmates were cracking up and loved it, my teacher...not so much. In a reverse of Yoko's album, I dug this for some reason back in the day, but I'd rather listen to Yoko scream now than put up with "Silly Love Songs".

Wings - London Town: 1rst listen...besides the big mushy hit. I actually like the numerous post-"Mull of Kintyre" songs here more than the soft-rock, and the last song incorporates the folksiness into actual real rock. Some odd yet typical Macca goofball songs I can do without too.

Ringo Starr - Sentimental Journey: I guess he was getting sick of providing drums for rock & roll songs full-stop, thus released this collection of old-time big band stuff. It actually came out before McCartney's debut as the first Beatles solo album with "actual music" in it, but no one remembers that. Not a surprise...I couldn't finish this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 14:05
^
okay, you just made me want to hear RAM again...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 18:19
Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid
UK - UK
Crimson - Starless
Heart - Dreamboat Annie

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 19:41
a lovely day with Mr .Headphones .

IQ-- Ever ( Live in Aschafenburg, Germany 2018)
Depeche Mode-- 101 Disc B only. 
Toto-- 4
DIO-- Last In Line
IQ-- On The Road of Bones (Live)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 265266267268269 524>