Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 03:14
Hey Steve
I listened to You here the other day in much the same way. It’s been ages and I wasn’t quite sure whether it’d end up as a lukewarm affair. Well it just ended up being one hell of a ride. Had (almost) forgotten about the ambient and slowly larvalling feel to it that just seems to work perfectly in between the big space rock excursions.

Last couple of days have been focused on 2019:
De Lorians - s/t
Hooffoot - long album name
Julius Vanderbilt ~ Heavy Weather - Heavy Weather
Fly Pan Am - C’est ca
Jambinai - ONDA
oG Musique - Water Birds
Waste Of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis
Fire! Orchestra - Arrival
Alameda 5 - Eurodrome
Charlie Cawood - Blurring Into Motion
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 11:43
Moonrise - Travel Within
Silhouette - The World Is Flat And Other Alternative Facts
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey Steve
I listened to You here the other day in much the same way. It’s been ages and I wasn’t quite sure whether it’d end up as a lukewarm affair. Well it just ended up being one hell of a ride. Had (almost) forgotten about the ambient and slowly larvalling feel to it that just seems to work perfectly in between the big space rock excursions.
yep, exactly. Proves what a fine album it is. I was half expecting to be bored but no such thing occurred.

2019-wise, I don’t know hardly anything proggy outside the DeLorians stuff. My AOTY was Negativland’s new album. It’s a spookily accurate collage of the strange nature of communication and consumption of information in these very confusing times.

Yesterday:

Hawkwind | Space Bandits
Hawkwind | Quark, Strangeness & Charm
The Ex & Brass Unbound | Enormous Door
King Crimson | Three of a Perfect Pair (side 2)
Rip Rig & Panic | Attitude
The Ex | Turn
Eric Burdon & the Animals | The Twain Shall Meet
The Jam | This is the Modern World
The Birthday Party | Prayers on Fire
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:10
I went back an album and span Angel’s Egg. Double score! The teapot trilogy tends to be forgotten about in my household. Enough of that!
As for 2019 and prog I too have been completely out of the loop, but these last weeks have proven to me that great music has a way of hiding from you until you make an effort to go look for it
Bands that all made albums I think you’ll dig (and consequentially also a fair account of what I have listened to the last two days...plus some Gong):
Swans
The Winstons
Secret Chiefs 3
Kayo Dot
Charlie Cawood
A Formal Horse
Waste Of Space Orchestra
The Worm Ouroboros
Fly Pan Am
Jambinai
Loosense
oG Musique
Hooffoot

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 22 2020 at 03:53
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:42

I went back an album and span Angel’s Egg. Double score! The teapot trilogy tends to be forgotten about in my household. Enough of that!
As for 2019 and prog I too have been completely out of the loop, but these last weeks have proven to me that great music has a way of hiding from you until you make an effort to go look for it
Bands that all made albums I think you’ll dig (and consequentially also a fair account of what I have listened to the last two days...plus some Gong):
Swans
The Winstons
Secret Chiefs 3
Kayo Dot
Charlie Cawood
A Formal Horse
Waste Of Space Orchestra
The Worm Ouroboros
Fly Pan Am
Jambinai
Loosense
oG Musique
Hooffoot
thanks for that. I do have the Swans’ newest, though it hasn’t clicked (yet). I definitely like KD and SC3 but I’ve lost track of their stuff so it may be time to hop back on. None of those others ring a bell, so I’m copying this list so I can go back and see what they sound like.

Meanwhile, here’s the last couple of days:

Scratch Acid | The Greatest Gift
Intersystems | Peachy
Liars | Drum’s Not Dead
Hawkwind | Levitation
Liars | TFCF
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band | Solar Fire
Amen Dunes | Cowboy Worship EP
Banco | ... di Terra
Caravan | For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Grant Hart | The Argument
Nektar | Remember the Future
Circus Devils | Pinball Mars
These New Puritans | Field of Reeds
clipping. | There Existed an Addiction to Blood

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 04:37
My pleasure Steve
Btw speaking of albums that took a while to click, that Liars album TFCF fits the bill. Last time I span it I couldn’t believe that it was the same album I’d listened to some 2-3 times before.

Yesterday:
AIR - Pocket Symphony
Embryo - Live Bremen (talk about a wild and almost transcendant live album! No guitars but violin, flute, bass and those caveman drums from Christian Burchard. He’s one of those who is impossible to play like. Ask any skilled drummer to play like Palmer or Peart and they get quite close..because it’s meters and counting and so forth...not so much with the likes of Burchard....but man does it ever cook! and does things to the surrounding musicians that basically sets them free.)
Tears For Fears - The Hurting
Julius Vanderbilt - Heavy Weather
Eloy - Time To Turn
The KLF - White Room
Ochre - Lemodie
Gong - The Peel Sessions
Waste Of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis
Fläsket Brinner - Fläsket
Terry Riley - In C

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:49
I second the Loosense and Hooffoot recommendations ;) BTW David, I sent you the CD this week, I haven't been able to get back to you.

Shamefully the only album I have from Gong is Espresso II. I never come across their albums :/

Let me see if I remember them all:
Rush - Signals
Jorge Palma - No Lado Errado da Noite
Reis da República - Fábulas
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings
Hooffoot - Hooffoot
Steve Hillage - L
Ashra - New Age of Earth
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:42
Toto - Through The Looking Glass
Threshold - For The Journey
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:02
David, I think I have a copy of that live Embryo thing. Reminds me I haven’t listened to them in a while! I remember the album that converted me years back - a concert recording from 1972 - a year after the Bremen set:

Wiesbaden 1972

Opens with a long marimba/saz duet that gradually builds into a full band jam. Kicks all kind of arse.

Edit: hey! I actually have an official Embryo CD that’s not in the PA discography! I’ll have to remember to add it. It’s a double CD compilation of unreleased stuff called “40” ( for their 40 yr anniv).

Edited by HolyMoly - January 24 2020 at 11:10

-Kehlog Albran
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:59
GPS - Window To The Soul
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 12:22
Samuel: Thank you my friend I am really looking forward to that (funny huh? never gets old...receiving or buying new music. I’m always excited like a small dog expecting sausages).
What? Expresso ll only? That’s just wrong
Sorry
But yeah the Teapot Trilogy should definitely be in your collection considering your tastes. Btw Expresso ll is one of the newest Gong additions to my collection. I bought a used vinyl a couple of years back. Plays like a dream.
But it’s not the trilogy

Steve: Oh yes sweet mama!! Wiesbaden 1972! I knew I was searching for something other than the Bremen thing when I originally went for some live Embryo...but I ended up with a big smile on my face so the end result seems fairly successful come to think of it.
The Wiesbaden gig is just all kinds of awesomesauce. Also seem to remember it being a pretty good recording job whereas the Bremen one feels more raw...though thankfully none of them approach ‘bootleg quality’.
A double cd of unreleased Embryo material? HolyMoly!
How much of it is from the early days ie the 70s?
Either way it is certainly something that will end up in my collection. I’m generally fond of the ol Krautrock like that.

Yesterday:
Swans - Leaving Meaning
De Lorians - s/t
The The - Soul Mining
Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble
Samuel Cadima - Outros Horizontes
Secret Chiefs 3 - Malkhut
Alameda 5 - Eurodrome
Älgarnas Trädgård - Delayed
The Orb - COW // Chill Out World
Pond - Tasmania (still figuring out whether or not to include it in my list for AOTY. It’s one of my favourite albums of the year...but it’s not really a prog rock one)

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 24 2020 at 12:29

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 14:47
The Embryo 2 disc set covers the whole 40 years, including some pre-Embryo jazz stuff. I’ll take a look when I get home. It’s a great package with a detailed booklet, well worth seeking out.

Yesterday’s sheet:

Arthur Brown | Dance
Style Council | Confessions of a Pop Group
The Cure | Seventeen Seconds
Edgar Froese | Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Arthur Brown’s Kingdom Come | Kingdom Come
Meat Puppets | Meat Puppets
Neil Diamond | Tap Root Manuscript
Owen Maercks | Kinds of Blue
Owen Maercks | Teenage Sex Therapist
Scorpions | Tokyo Tapes
Phantom Tollbooth | Power Toy

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 14:51
Pre-Embryo sounds interesting

Also: I just had a good laugh seeing The Meatpuppets on top of Neil Diamond

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 17:37
Stream of consciousness- on some days, no one but Neil could follow the Pups.

Here’s another bunch, sanitized somewhat because I was listening with me wife for a few of these:

My Bloody Valentine | EPs 1988-1991
DQE & Jad Fair | s/t — DQE is an Atlanta duo that works at one of the CD stores I frequent, though it took me years to realize the people on the CD were the same people I saw in that store all the time. Big “whoa” moment when that happened.
Yes | Tales from Topographic Oceans (sides 3 & 4)
Chicago | XIV — I’m generally pretty lenient with Chicago but the Cetera tunes on this one stink to high heaven
Pierre Moerlen’s Gong | Gazeuse! — great work by Holdsworth on this one
My Bloody Valentine | Isn’t Anything
The Fixx | Reach the Beach — certain 80s pop bands are well respected in musicianly circles these days (TFF, Talk Talk, etc) but these guys still seem to be misunderstood. They were quite good and original.
Joe Jackson | Body and Soul — great atmosphere on this one, appropriate to the jazz-style album cover.
Blur | The Magic Whip — their reunion album from a couple of years ago. Really good. I hadn’t played it in a while but it really impressed.
Ohio Players | Fire — nifty funk with sweet ballads mixed in
Malo | s/t — Cuban progressive rock. Not entirely unlike Santana.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 25 2020 at 17:39

-Kehlog Albran
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 01:27
30th anniversary editions of ITCoTCK, Lizard, Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Red, and Discipline!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 05:26
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Stream of consciousness- on some days, no one but Neil could follow the Pups.

Here’s another bunch, sanitized somewhat because I was listening with me wife for a few of these:

My Bloody Valentine | EPs 1988-1991
DQE & Jad Fair | s/t — DQE is an Atlanta duo that works at one of the CD stores I frequent, though it took me years to realize the people on the CD were the same people I saw in that store all the time. Big “whoa” moment when that happened.
Yes | Tales from Topographic Oceans (sides 3 & 4)
Chicago | XIV — I’m generally pretty lenient with Chicago but the Cetera tunes on this one stink to high heaven
Pierre Moerlen’s Gong | Gazeuse! — great work by Holdsworth on this one
My Bloody Valentine | Isn’t Anything
The Fixx | Reach the Beach — certain 80s pop bands are well respected in musicianly circles these days (TFF, Talk Talk, etc) but these guys still seem to be misunderstood. They were quite good and original.
Joe Jackson | Body and Soul — great atmosphere on this one, appropriate to the jazz-style album cover.
Blur | The Magic Whip — their reunion album from a couple of years ago. Really good. I hadn’t played it in a while but it really impressed.
Ohio Players | Fire — nifty funk with sweet ballads mixed in
Malo | s/t — Cuban progressive rock. Not entirely unlike Santana.

I feel the same way about Cocteau Twins and Area. Some times I just need a little mermaid music after some wild circus rides.

I have that Blur album but can honestly say that I can’t remember anything off it. I think it has to do with me purchasing some Gorillaz albums around the same time...and well the latter seemed to align with my tastes better. I still listen to their Plastic Beach record on a weekly/monthly basis.
Yesterday:
Diagonal: Arc (Great retro-psychedelic Canterbury thing with all the appropriate sidedishes ie mellotrons, jazzy whimsical beats, airy carefree vocals and a bootful of jam-like textures)
Kayo Dot - Blasphemy (Continuing down the experimental 80s route via Gothic Rock, Bowie-like avantguarde wizardry and a mix of the stark black beauty of metal and the cold embrace of electronica. Not sure it has clicked yet..but there’s something there.)
Plat Du Jour - s/t (Magma teams up with Stevie Wonder and makes an album specifically taylored for jolly Danes)
Pharaoh Overlord - 5 (The Fins go the motorik NEU! route with lots of laserbeam synths)
Alameda 5 - Eurodrome (More Kraut for your inner aura’s catwhiskers)
Laboratorium - Quasimodo (Polish fusion to woo peculiar women with)
Blue Effect & Jazz Q - Coniunctio (Hot Rats on mescalin!)
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)
Trojan Horse - Fukushima Surfer Boys (Been a while since I last heard this. Wowza)
The Cosmic Jokers - s/t (Spike my drink, bootleg my wild and eclectic musical trip and release without me knowing about it? Check. Such an unorthodox birth this album series have...but man am I ever glad they got to see the light of day. One of those rare instances where acid actually works in a “recording session”)

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 08:45
Some really nice posts on this page.
Hello everyone! Hope all is well.
Haven’t been able to dedicate myself to the pleasures of my home Hi-Fi system lately. Busy life these days, so on the go listening to and from work is my go to.
Bought myself a real nice pair of IEM’s to enjoy my music more vividly while traveling around.

APP— Ammonia Avenue. ( NH3 always has the goods for me. )
Crippled Black Phoenix— Bronze
Dead when I found her— Rag Doll Blues ( this is an awesome new discovery for me. Great Industrial music with some proggy tendencies. Great audio quality on this album too! I highly recommend this to you guys!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:12
Hi Nick
I’m doing just fine and dandy - good to hear from you...although you gotta pump up the music listening cowboy! That stuff is just mandatory for the innards
I haven’t really investigated much of Alan Parsons Project after..well Pyramid
I should remedy that at some point. I’m spinning the debut tonight though. Only seems appropriate.

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 15:50

Hi Nick
I’m doing just fine and dandy - good to hear from you...although you gotta pump up the music listening cowboy! That stuff is just mandatory for the innards
I haven’t really investigated much of Alan Parsons Project after..well Pyramid
I should remedy that at some point. I’m spinning the debut tonight though. Only seems appropriate.

Dave!! Yeah my friend! Boy, you couldn’t be more right. I need my sonic time every single day, however that is incredibly wishful thinking when you have a 1-year-old.
Having a kid or kids is soooo demanding of your time and once the nighttime rolls around when the kid finally goes down for the count you’re exhausted.
I think 2018-2019 have been my biggest and most sacrificial years of all time, but hey that is what a good parent does.

Anyhow my good man. I’ll keep trying. Guess I gotta pump the coffee a bit more cause no music makes Nick a dull boy.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 15:57
In Absentia finally clicked with me today. Have a few things in mind for when I go home. Perhaps Images and Words, Court of the Crimson King, Aja, Nude, UK's debut. Hmmm maybe someone should pick one for me.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 523>