Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 02:12
Over the last week:
Agitation Free - Malesch
Guru Guru - UFO
Sun Ra - Disco 3000
Electric Wizard - Legalize Drugs and Murder
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 06:55
Tonight's selections:

Virus – Revelation
Virus – Thoughts
The Storm – s/t (so infectious, heavy and sexy! )
The Storm – El Dia de la Tormenta
Nektar – Journey to the Centre of the Eye
Twenty Sixty Six and Then – Reflections on the Future
Tritonus – Far in the Sky: Live at Stagge’s Hotel 1977
Cosmic Ground - Live
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 10:45
Mulatu Astatke - Éthiopiques 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale 1969-1974 (man, I love Ethiopian jazz)
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 17:31

Today and yesterday.

Roger Waters-- Is this the life we really want? ( yeah I love it. Kinda knew that I would though. No surprise here. )
Echo & The Bunnyman-- porcupine
DIO- live at the Hammersmith Apollo 1993
APP-- Tales of Mystery and Imagination ( both in 5.1 and stereo LPCM 24/96k. This is probably hands down the best audio quality delivered from Parsons himself. )
Agalloch-- The Mantle
Genesis-- a trick of the tail ( 5.1 surround)
Marillion-- clutching at straws
Lacuna coil-- Delirium
The Nefilim-- Zoon
Lunatic Soul-- Walking on a flashlight beam
Big big train-- English Electric pt 1&2
Sepultura-- Beneath the remains
IQ-- the Seventh House    

Edited by progbethyname - June 11 2017 at 17:32
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 03:03
Monopol - Weltweit
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti (More Prog-ish than I expected.)
Van der Graaf Generator - The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome (I liked this one at first listen.)
Rui Veloso - Fora de Moda
Sankt Otten - Engtanz Depression
10000 Russos - s/t
Pristine - Reboot
Plank - Hivemind
Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog Vol.6 (I wonder if they named it "The Final DAT" because it has lots of spoken parts. It's the most Techno so far.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 03:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

No, mate, I didn't even really know they had a new album on the way just yet!

For some reason, the mp3/zip download that came with the Bandcamp purchase of the first EP is REALLY loud. I have to turn my Ipod down to a quarter of the usual level, and it's still loud and crystal clear. I wonder if it might be better if I tried ripping the CD instead?
They've been showing some studio teasers for a while, like they did with the debut. It sure worked to build up expectation the first time Smile

Maybe there was an error with the file uploads? I downloaded it on WAV the other day and it didn't sound that way, and neither does the CD.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have the same problem with this new band called The Electric Family. Brilliant musicians and very interesting tunes...though terribly marred by the fact that the production sounds as if it was lifted straight out of an early 90s pop album. The drums though are the worst! Think ...And Justice For All on a psychedelic rock effort???Dead The classic Can track Mary, Mary So Contrary also gets covered like this and it feels...erm...strange but in a weird conform manner.

Me yesterday:
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects...

Seventh Wave - Things To Come (Anyone else know of this little keyboard/mellotron feast?)
Yeah, it's so disappointing when the music is fantastic and the production is far from it Ouch

I put my copy on a pile to rip, getting ready for the upcoming Summer Cool

No, but you got my attention Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 06:21
The production trap has really hit me hard during recent years. I may have an allergy...

Yeah I have made a habit out of ripping new purchases almost immediately when I get them - except for the rare mini vinyl that my laptop won't read!!! Dammit.

Great listings here folks! ...and may I add a great review of the new Waters album, Michael. I don't share the same sentiments but was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Cool to see this old pensioner getting some love over the interwebs.

Me yesterday:
Faust - Fresh Air
PFM - Stati di....
Forest Swords - Compassion
Eldberg - Par er Heimur Hugans (this album needs more attention from old school prog fans. Wow this is brilliant!)
Gas - Narkopop
Reve General - Howl
The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits
Klaus Schulze - Privee
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 17:55
The last couple of days:

Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World Cool
Elder - s/t
Elder - Lore
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Temple Of The Dog - 25th Anniversary reissue
Singles Motion Picture Soundtrack
Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip
Wolfmother - s/t
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 03:20
^ Nice heavy day!

Yesterday:
The Police - Regatta de Blanc (I liked the debut better, they don't know when to finish a song here.)
Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude (Thanks for the review, Michael!)
Seventh Wave - Things to Come
Plank - Animalism
Träd Gräs Och Stenar - Tack för Kaffet
Hedersleben - Die Neuen Welten (I wish they'd make another side-long epic, it just works better than several short tracks.)
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds (Obscured by the previous and following album, but I'd take this over side A of Meddle any day. It has so many great contributions from Rick.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 03:36
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude (Thanks for the review, Michael!)Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds (Obscured by the previous and following album, but I'd take this over side A of Meddle any day. It has so many great contributions from Rick.)

Thanks, Sam! I've been spinning that one endlessly lately because a few weeks ago I came across a second-hand double CD set with both `Pungent Effulgent' and `Strangeitude' on it. I've known `Strangeitude' back to front for years, but I was in desperate need of replacing my vinyl copy. It looks great on the surface, but it was riddled with endless crackle! It's such a great album from them!

Really nice to see some `Obscured' love too, that one gets a little too easily dismissed! I loved it as soon as I heard it, and although it's fairly lightweight, it's just so easy to listen to. As you said, lots of really nice Rick moments throughout. And I agree 100% about taking it over side A of `Meddle' too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 04:12
^ That's great! I never came across any of their albums. When I saw them last year, they played at 3:30 and the merch stand had closed a few hours earlier.
Sounds like a bad case of dirt and static, I bet a vinyl cleaning machine would get rid of the endless crackle. I had quite a few of these in my collection but they play like new now.

Yeah, it's easy to the ears but there's still a lot of detail and complexity for an attentive listen. I think this album is a farewell to the old days (like the Farfisa on the last track) while introducing to their more popular style.
Roger's song "Free Four" is easily the worst, in my opinion. If it wasn't for David's contribution I would probably skip it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 04:46
Funny how some things work. I was listening to Gadi Caplan's debut Morning Sun last night just before turning in and thought to myself: 'wow this is like the second coming of Obscured by Clouds'
There is a gentle vibe to the album that really do relind me of ObC. Add to that the soft vocals that sound like a young (trained) David Gilmour.
The world is small.

Yesterday:
Gadi Caplan - Morning Sun
Franco Battiato - Fetus
The Orb - COW (Chill Out World!)
Julies Haircut - Invocation...
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Adrian Younge & Venice Dawn - Something About April
Goat - Requiem
Homunculus Res - Come Si Diventa...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 03:00
^ Yeah, I remember that lovely album.

Cosmic Ground - Live
Ash - Meltdown
Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn (THE comeback of 2017!)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (Quad mix. The 5.1 mix is more atmospheric but this one is full of wacky surround effects, I liked this one way more. The mix is also very different from the stereo, you can hear some tracks more easily than others (there were some I never heard before). I also liked the lead/backing vocals on the front and rear center. It sounded very fresh and that's quite an achievement!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 11:28
Slows - Deep Distance
Ethiva - Sublime Island
Ultranova - Órbita
Harmonium - L'Heptade
Rui Veloso - Guardador de Margens
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 13:57
Yesterday:

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
Don Cherry - Mu
Genesis - Duke
Gong - Flying Teapot
Can - Soon Over Babaluma
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place
Steve Hauschildt - Strands
Milton Nascimento - Milton
Henry Cow - Unrest

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 14:03

Slows - Deep Distance
Ethiva - Sublime Island
Ultranova - Órbita
Harmonium - L'Heptade
Rui Veloso - Guardador de Margens

Hey Sam, you've played both albums by Ethiva recently so what do you think?
I have both on numbered vinyl and I'm very happy with them. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 16:35
Parsons, The Alan, Project I Robot 1976- 1977 Dec.-Mar,
Beck, Jeff with the Jan Hammer Group Live 1977 Mar.
Tangerine Dream Encore 1977 Mar.-
Not A Lot
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 00:40
Yesterday:

Various - Happy Birthday to You, But You Weren't Listening A beautiful present I received from José (DeadSouls) for my birthday. A self-made compilation of live recordings some of my favorite Canterbury tracks with titles modified or changed completely so I have to guess what the next band is! Definitely one of the most inventive presents I ever got in my life. Thank you so much, José! Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 04:23
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Unfortunately I don't share your opinion. They seem interesting instrumentally, but the vocals ruin it for me 
Ouch

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Yesterday:

Various - Happy Birthday to You, But You Weren't Listening A beautiful present I received from José (DeadSouls) for my birthday. A self-made compilation of live recordings some of my favorite Canterbury tracks with titles modified or changed completely so I have to guess what the next band is! Definitely one of the most inventive presents I ever got in my life. Thank you so much, José! Hug
How thoughtful! I hope you guessed them all correctly Tongue

Yesterday:
Steve Hillage - Green (It finally sinked in, fifth time's a charm.)
Jorge Palma - O Lado Errado da Noite
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 06:31

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Unfortunately I don't share your opinion. They seem interesting instrumentally, but the vocals ruin it for me Ouch

You make a valid point about the vocals. I've always been picky about vocals in the type of music i like and usually prefer instrumental. Sometimes I'm more tolerable if the music is good and the vocals are minimal.
Generally, if it's not screaming, death growl or Canterbury I can put up with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 522>