Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Crucis - Crucis
Crucis - Los Delirios Del Mariscal

How'd you find these two?
I'll have to give them each at least another listen before forming a solid opinion but I really liked them on a first impression. I expected it to be more on the delicate side like the other Argentinian prog albums I've heard but it was much more dynamic. The debut is very catchy. I could almost see parts of this album being played on the radio (not a bad thing). There seems to be a constant dueling between the both very competent keyboardist and guitarist exchanging solos on the second half. Really a fun album.

Los Delirios Del Mariscal is quite different but I preferred it over the debut. The keyboards are rather subdued, most often filling the background with spacey sounds. This leaves more space for the guitarist to shine. The drummer also seems more involved. The title track and "Abismo Terrenal" are particularly great. All in all, this is quite heavy prog. In the vein of Focus or Grobschnitt I'd say but with more typical prog elements.

I really have to get into more albums from Argentina. Even though I found these did not have the special "latino" flavour that Bubu or Arco Iris have, there is not one Argentinian prog album that has disappointed me thus far. I've had my eyes on Invisible's El Jardin de los Presentes for quite some time now, it might be its turn soon.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 22:19

Crucis - Crucis
Crucis - Los Delirios Del Mariscal

How'd you find these two?
I'll have to give them each at least another listen before forming a solid opinion but I really liked them on a first impression. I expected it to be more on the delicate side like the other Argentinian prog albums I've heard but it was much more dynamic. The debut is very catchy. I could almost see parts of this album being played on the radio (not a bad thing). There seems to be a constant dueling between the both very competent keyboardist and guitarist exchanging solos on the second half. Really a fun album.

Los Delirios Del Mariscal is quite different but I preferred it over the debut. The keyboards are rather subdued, most often filling the background with spacey sounds. This leaves more space for the guitarist to shine. The drummer also seems more involved. The title track and "Abismo Terrenal" are particularly great. All in all, this is quite heavy prog. In the vein of Focus or Grobschnitt I'd say but with more typical prog elements.

I really have to get into more albums from Argentina. Even though I found these did not have the special "latino" flavour that Bubu or Arco Iris have, there is not one Argentinian prog album that has disappointed me thus far. I've had my eyes on Invisible's El Jardin de los Presentes for quite some time now, it might be its turn soon.

Glad to hear! Thumbs Up

Yeah, the two Crucis albums are a lot of fun; especially Mariscal. Many a sweat has been broken air guitar-ing along to that one! LOL

And yeah, Argentina really doesn't disappoint, musically. I think Invisible would probably be a pretty good next step, though I prefer Durazno Sangrando and their self-titled album to El Jardin. I wouldn't say that they have the "latin" feel of Bubu or Arco Iris, either, but they do have a very subdued "coolness" to them which I definitely enjoy.

Another album that I'd highly recommend is Pinta Tu Aldea by Alas. Really immaculate fusion material, and very distinctively a product of Buenos Aires. Not only does it have all the typical Latin romance going on, but they also weave the  bandoneon into their sound exquisitely. Cecilia Tenconi from Bubu also plays some flute on this one. Highly recommended!

This evening:

Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni (Great review of this, Michael! Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up on my 2017 AOTY list)
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 07:44
ASHRA - New Age of Earth
CAN - Landed
SOFT MACHINE - Fourth
TANGERINE DREAM - Phaedra
GENESIS - The Way We Walk - The Longs
ANTHRAX - For All Kings
HATFIELD & THE NORTH - s/t

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 12 2017 at 07:45
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 07:53
FRANK Zappa: Buffalo
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 21:38
Only one album today:

Osanna - Palepoli
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 21:40

Only one album today:

Osanna - Palepoli
....and a bleedin' masterpiece at that !!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 12:01
Past week:
Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloë
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (Side A)
DJ Hype presents The Ganja Kru - Super Sharp Shooter EP
Philip Glass - Music with Changing Parts

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 12:53
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

FRANK Zappa: Buffalo

Yeah.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 22:03
Vulfpeck - Mit Peck
Vulfpeck - Vollmich
Supersister- Present From Nancy
The Dixie Dregs - Free Fall
Can - Soundtracks
The For Carnation - The for Carnation
Einsturzende Neubauten - Kollaps
Sigur Ros - Takk...
Brian Eno - Apollo

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 04:12
Turn-Table spinning hot today :
TAKO - s/t
THE PINEAPPLE THIEF - All The Wars
PAATOS - Timeloss
GRAND ALLIANCE - s/t
PAR LINDH PROJECT - Gothic Impressions
ATOMIC ROOSTER - IV
DAVID GILMOUR - Rattle That Lock
HELDON - Stand By
and a little 4 track 7" by GILLAN - No Laughing In Heaven
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:08
Sloooooooow times up in this mother eh? Well I am partly responsible for that too as PA has been more of a frustration to me lately rather than a cosy music hangout where one can shoot the breeze with likeminded fellows of the cloth.
Anyways I hope you guys (and gals?) are doing just dandy. I am nigh on back to my normal self with but a couple of nerves that need to release themselves for me to be a 100%. Heh it's only been a couple of years now so a few weeks more seem alright to this dane as long as he gets his natural movements back.

What more? The sun is shining outside and the light is white like American tv show host's teeth. I guess we could have used some of that sunshine back when it was actually summer. Oh well Denmark is like that every other year, 2 seasons instead of 4: spring and fall (with a bit of brown snow).

Yesterday I broke in my all new in ear headphones (Audiofly AF1120) with a whole truckload worth of music. I wanted to try out different genres to see what all the fuss was about. Well the fuss was right on the money. So glad I got these iems.
So yeah yesterday:

Gaudi - Magnetic (recommended for prog electronic and Bob Marley fans)
The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding (Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen back together again)
Premiata Forneria Marconi - L'Isola di Niente
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
Everything Everything - Get To Heaven
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun (so heavy and raw)
Grails - Chalice Hymnal
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches Of Brunswick (fast becoming my fave Lizard album. Think it's because it shows more variety and a deeper understanding of dynamics than what came before. I do dig the old math-ska-surferrockgoingahundredmilesanhour but it gets a little onesided over the course of a whole album. This new one though pushes all the right buttons for me.)
The Heliocentrics - The Sunshine Makers
The Stooges - Fun House
VA - Mono No Aware (methinks a fair few of the electronic fans on PA would live this wonderfully arranged compilation. Ambient done in an interesting and highly thoughtful manner...no monotony in sight..but short (relatively speaking) melodic rainy day musical interludes that waft overhead in these spiralling cigarette smoke motions)

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 17 2017 at 07:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sloooooooow times up in this mother eh?

From what I can tell, Magnum, ALotofBottle, and I all got hit pretty hard by school (not that I was ever the most consistent contributor). As it is, I'm supposed to be writing an essay on Kant right now, and I'll be lucky to average an album a day for the next ten days. Nice selections.

Yesterday:
Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Magnetic Flip
Mnemonists - Gyromancy

Today will likely just be a couple of EP's from the Birdsongs
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 08:50
Hello everyone!
Finally had some time to listen to music today...

Santana - Borboletta
Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities
Bent Knee - Land Animal (Twice, excellent album!)
Dreadnaght - Hard Chargin' (Damn I love this band!!)
Gadi Caplan - Morning Sun
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 08:52
School? Kant? These are puzzling words to me. You should try and swap them with gorgonzola and Faust or similarly try on a brand new pair of pants. Works like a charm and also gets you far more time for important matters such as PA, laundry, bible reading, avant-jazz, strawberries, fish and Kim Young Uno.

I love that Schulze album. Reminds me of Copenhagen Airport and this huge surfer sail-like cathedral of a corridor. Every time I pass through I have to hear Mirage.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:00
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hello everyone!
Finally had some time to listen to music today...

Santana - Borboletta
Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities
Bent Knee - Land Animal (Twice, excellent album!)
Dreadnaght - Hard Chargin' (Damn I love this band!!)
Gadi Caplan - Morning Sun

Yes!!!! Hi Sagi
So good to see you here. I hope life is treating you right.
Cool albums. I haven't gotten around to that Bent Knee album even if it's sitting on the shelf, but I guess I've been preoccupied with other new albums. 2017 has been great so far for my tastes.
Btw thank you for recommending me the Shure se215 way waaaaaay back during the Vietnam war. I bought a pair a good while back and haven't looked back since. Oh well I have kind of upgraded since but only because those Shures showed me what iems actually were capable of. They're still my go-to pair if I'm cycling or visiting the gym though.
But yeah thank you so much

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:24
Nice to catch you around here my friend! Me I'm still healing from my broken leg damn it! It's been almost two months now, it is supposed to be a very slow recovery but it will happen eventually. It's all good really anyway.

Funny you've mentioned those earphones because just before my injury I went to try other earphones to upgrade those 215, and it's like you said one must wonder what can you get with an even more expensive pair?
I'll let you know what I'll get whenever that happens...

I'm slow on this year's outputs to be honest but Bent Knee is a winner, it grew on me immensely with every spin.

And BTW you can treat yourslef with two more songs by Meta Meta, they have a new EP in their website for download.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:37
What?!?? Seems like all my friends and family members are suffering from some kind of injury. Is it contageous?

I've pretty much gone all-in regarding the 'headphone'. I quickly learned that I could "upgrade" or change my listening experience immensely just by swapping one headphone for another. Something that costs thousands of dollars to do if you're going by speaker set-up.
Anyway I got the new Audiofly AF1120 for a fraction of the retail price (thank ford!), but you're absolutely right: those Shures are hard to beat unless you are willing to spend a LOT of money. As for the Audioflys? Holy sh*t they're brilliant! But perhaps a tad pricey.
You should definitely check out the new iBasso IT03. Chinese high end audio company that delivers sound that punches way above their pricetag. I listened to these iems and they're wonderful..and a step up from your se215s. Just a rec though - I'm not entirely shure (hoho) how best to get them in Israel, but they should be under 300 bucks.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:40
Oh and thanks for the heads up regarding Meta Meta

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

VA - Mono No Aware (methinks a fair few of the electronic fans on PA would live this wonderfully arranged compilation. Ambient done in an interesting and highly thoughtful manner...no monotony in sight..but short (relatively speaking) melodic rainy day musical interludes that waft overhead in these spiralling cigarette smoke motions)

Ahhh, love this album! TCF's tune with that ridiculously long title is probably my favorite track from 2017. It's like an ambient techno interpretation of "Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band." Glad to see you around again, David! Smile

Weather here in Poland got pretty autumny during the past week. However, one of the nicest things about this season starts appearing and that is that very characteristic scent outside at around 7 pm or so.

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

From what I can tell, Magnum, ALotofBottle, and I all got hit pretty hard by school (not that I was ever the most consistent contributor).

You are right! Not only school, but also "romantic peripeteia" and seasonal moods are plotting to draw my attention from music and "normality" as much as possible. I've found that during these rainy, yet vibrant, busy, and deceitful days, my go-to musics have been early 70's "contemporary jazz," some 90's jungle, deep house as well as stoner and doom metal.

During this weekend:
Cymande - Cymande
Terje Rypdal - Terje Rypdal
Paul Bley - Open, to Love
Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity
Hozan Yamamoto - Silver World
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 10:02
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

From what I can tell, Magnum, ALotofBottle, and I all got hit pretty hard by school (not that I was ever the most consistent contributor).

Indeed.

I did get a couple in last night, though:

Maneige - Maneige
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 522>