Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 18:38
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
Gastr del Sol - Camoufleur (^ same)

How are these two? I haven't ventured outside of O'Rourke's more experimental material yet, and while I like the first two Gastr Del Sol albums, neither blew me away. Nonetheless, I've got both of those on my wishlist at the moment. Good to see you got around to .O.Rang too. 

The Books - Thought For Food (you might find this one intriguing, Larks)
I picked up Eureka simply based on the goofy cover art and I think the album is worth it for that alone LOL. It's quite a fine pop (partially) record. Great instrumentation, good singing but somewhat cheesy lyrics.

Like you said about the other Gastr Del Sol albums, Camoufleur was enjoyable but not extraordinary (on a first listen with crappy YT quality). It's a mostly acoustic minimalist take on post-rock (closer to The For Carnation than anything else I know). These days I'm all about American experimental music from the 90s and I think the Chicago scene particularly suits my taste. Any recommendation?

Spot-on recommendation in The Books. I only listened to a few samples from their 2005 album and fell in love right away. At least 4 of their albums will soon be coming my way.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 20:14

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
Gastr del Sol - Camoufleur (^ same)

How are these two? I haven't ventured outside of O'Rourke's more experimental material yet, and while I like the first two Gastr Del Sol albums, neither blew me away. Nonetheless, I've got both of those on my wishlist at the moment. Good to see you got around to .O.Rang too. 

The Books - Thought For Food (you might find this one intriguing, Larks)
Like you said about the other Gastr Del Sol albums, Camoufleur was enjoyable but not extraordinary (on a first listen with crappy YT quality). It's a mostly acoustic minimalist take on post-rock (closer to The For Carnation than anything else I know). These days I'm all about American experimental music from the 90s and I think the Chicago scene particularly suits my taste. Any recommendation?

Well, all roads lead to Tortoise when it comes to 90's experimental American music. I haven't checked out either yet, but The Sea and Cake (named after a misinterpretation of a Gastr Del Sol song tite) and Isotope 217 (basically a jazz version of Tortoise, with the debut album even having an alternate version of Jetty) are supposed to be quite good. I've been sitting on their respective debuts for a little while actually (I move through new music more slowly than you, it seems). But honestly, you can practically pick a Tortoise member at random and just look at what else they've done. It's like playing six degrees of Tortoise. I assume you're familiar with Slint right? And for a heavier version of a similar concept, June of 44 is pretty good, albeit not stellar. 

And don't forget Storm & Stress if you haven't checked them out, basically a spin off of Don Caballero. The first album is perhaps a tad noodly and aimless (although I love it nonetheless) but the second album, Under Thunder and Fluorescent Lights, is freaking fantastic, and runs closer to the diffident post-rock of The For Carnation and Gastr Del Sol.

Rachel's - Music For Egon Schiele
Borbetomagus - Barbed Wire Maggots
Hoahi - Ohayo! Hoahio!
Lightwave - Tyco Brahe
Melt-Banana - Speak Squeak Creak

Edited by mechanicalflattery - November 18 2017 at 20:15
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 22:09
Amboy Dukes - Call of the Wild
Urban Nomad - Urban Nomad
Battlestations - Vixit
Kaula Spanda - Kau
Pink Floyd - Animals
Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah
Opus-5 - Contre-Courant
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 05:46
Last two days for me:

The Byrds – Ballad of Easy Rider
Le Orme – In Concerto
Novalis – Brandung
Amon Duul – Yeti
Hot Tuna – First Pull Up, Then Pull Down
Le Orme – La Via della Seta – shockingly good modern RPI work from 2011 from an older band, quite a classic Le Orme album in many ways.
Kaipa – Children of the Sounds
Blues Pills – s/t
Blues Pills – Lady in Gold (hmmm, more like a sleeping pill this second album, eh Sam? Quite an unengaging collection of tunes too. But I was just looking at their website, I bet their new live Bluray will be a treat)
Ayreon – The Source (disc one)
White Willow – Future Hopes – Absolutely one of the highlights of the year!
Electric Orange – Wurzburg Cairo 2015
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 08:53
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Le Orme – La Via della Seta – shockingly good modern RPI work from 2011 from an older band, quite a classic Le Orme album in many ways.

Very subtly trying to rub it in PFM's face I see? LOLTongue
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 09:01
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Very subtly trying to rub it in PFM's face I see? LOLTongue

HA!! I didn't consciously think that at all! But I like the way your mind thinks!

Mind you, Le Orme went on to remake `Felona e Sorona' a year or so back, and if anything that was a much poorer than PFM's newie - which at least was all new material (avoiding the fact that said new material isn't too interesting! )
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 16:06
Immortal? - Arena
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 21:06
Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Arti e Mestieri - Tilt
Buon Vecchio Charlie - Buon Vecchio Charlie
Gotic - Escenes
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 21:35
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Incantations

How do you like that one? There's a scrappy, intrepid band of rebels who seem to view it as Oldfield's best work (an opinion I find increasingly tempting) but then there's the entirely coherent and understandable counterpoint that it's a bloated and self-indulgent mess. It's a mystifiying album, to be sure. 

Morton Feldman - Why Patterns? / Crippled Symmetry
Volapuk - Polyglot
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (sometimes you just have to break out the familiar classics)
Lightwave - Mundus Subterraneus (Thumbs Up)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 04:15
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ Sam I'm currently waiting for my Vespero copy, I'm hoping it will turn out as good as their latest Lique Mekwas album.
BTW Shum Shir in hebrew means "no song"...that's weird.
It's soon to tell but it's certainly more concise, much shorter and there's not a wasted minute on it.
That's good to know, although it's probably not the most appropriate title.

Blues Pills – Lady in Gold (hmmm, more like a sleeping pill this second album, eh Sam? Quite an unengaging collection of tunes too. But I was just looking at their website, I bet their new live Bluray will be a treat)
Yes, indeed :P I hope the guitarist plays much more on that concert. I didn't watch the DVD that came with the album but I think it's exactly the same setlist from the concert I saw.

Just one this weekend:
The Black Wizards - What the Fuzz! (Much better than Lady in Gold :D )
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 07:47
Mjello
Been a while since I last popped by. I just get so frustrated with the captcha thing that I often need to take breaks from posting. Mostly because those posts that do occur before I take my break more than often sound horrendously negative...in a way that genuinely frightens me when I then come back with a more 'balanced' chi. It's not that I don't mean what I write...but there are a lot of ways to comment on music one doesn't like without sounding snarly in the process. If any of you cats ever felt like I shat all over your favourite piece of music, then please accept an apology on my behalf.

Aaaanyway. Since the last time I posted in here I've probably listened to hundreds of albums, but yesterday sounded like this:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches Of Brunswick East (this is still my fave from them. I dig the 100 miles an hour tricky surfer rock they normally do, but I genuinely feel their music improves the more laid-back it gets. Nuances and far more interesting tempi suddenly open up and as a result you get the musicians doing far more interesting things (imo).)
Fire! Orchestra - Exit
John Maus - Screen Memories
The Horrors - V ( This was a huge surprise! A very nice one at that. Well-crafted neo-psych delivered in a delicious contemporary new wave fashion with added glacial and industrial sounding synths.)
Wobbler - new one ( A friend of mine got me this after he fell head over heels for it. I reported back and told him it was the best Yes album I'd heard since Rites At Dawn. He didn't get the joke as he'd never heard of Yes before (yep). Yesterday though he told me he'd bought 8 of their albums and they indeed were his new favourite band...aaand that he finally got the joke Though to be completely honest; it does sound like John Wetton joined the band with that sawing buzzing sound of his ornamenting quite a few spots on the album. Always loved that.)
Franco Battiato - Clíc
Lalo Schifrin - Black Widow
Deadmau5 - Random Album Title
Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 18:52
Butthole Surfers - Electriclarryland
Chicago Underground Quartet - s/t
The Books - Thoughts for Food
The Books - Lost & Safe 
The Books - Music for a French Elevator
Art Bears - Hopes and Fears
Can - The Peel Sessions
Fred Frith - Gravity
Faust - Fresh Air
A Silver Mt. Zion - This is Our Punk-Rock
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 21:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Mjello
Been a while since I last popped by. I just get so frustrated with the captcha thing that I often need to take breaks from posting. Mostly because those posts that do occur before I take my break more than often sound horrendously negative...in a way that genuinely frightens me when I then come back with a more 'balanced' chi. It's not that I don't mean what I write...but there are a lot of ways to comment on music one doesn't like without sounding snarly in the process. If any of you cats ever felt like I shat all over your favourite piece of music, then please accept an apology on my behalf.

Il y a quand même un peu de positif, vieux...at least, looks like your bad mood scare that kepler nuisance away.

More Soft Machine for me today.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 03:25
Good to see you here, David! I didn't know it was possible to be a Wobbler fan without knowing Yes :P

Yesterday:
El Círculo de Willis - Retales
Hadal Sherpa - s/t
Breidablik - Penumbra
Himmellegeme - Myth of Earth
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 03:55
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Mjello

Il y a quand même un peu de positif, vieux...at least, looks like your bad mood scare that kepler nuisance away.

More Soft Machine for me today.
That was indeed what spurred me on to post the above. I still meant what I said to her...but yeah reading it back, no matter how positive the outcome was, still leaves me with a taste in my mouth comparable to licking an old coin.

Soft Machine sounds like fun. Maybe I should revisit an album of their's I haven't heard for a while. Methinks Seven will do nicely.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 04:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Good to see you here, David! I didn't know it was possible to be a Wobbler fan without knowing Yes :P

Yesterday:
El Círculo de Willis - Retales
Hadal Sherpa - s/t
Breidablik - Penumbra
Himmellegeme - Myth of Earth
I guess it's understandable if you've only heard the first couple of albums. What came after though is pure Yes imo and very well done Yes at that. Kinda like Norway's answer to The Watch...only Yes is the preferred influence. The new album though is very good. While I find it hard to comprehend all the 5 star masterpiece ratings it is getting it's still a highly enjoyable album.

Been meaning to check out those last three titles you listened to. How did they fare? The bottom two I already have filed under Tangerine Dream and Battlestations/Watter/Grails-type of post-rock psych with a bit of ambient shoehorned in for good measure. Am I completely off track or in the right general direction (he asks being too dull to sample their bandcamp addressesEmbarrassed)? Hadal Sherpa rings a bell and then not really. I may have stumbled over the suggestion thread here on PA.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 04:24
The first two were very similar to ELP, right? It's understandable considering Yes haven't released something as good in decades :D

Right about Breidablik (a very progressive kind of PE) and I don't know any of the bands you mentioned :P Hadal Sherpa reminds me of Agusa and it's really great as well, it's a bit long though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 04:38
Yep ELP seemed to be their prime source of inspiration for the first couple of albums, but again done very well. To me personally I've always found it fun to play *spot the influence* with Wobbler albums. Pretty good prog rock but you will have to look long and hard for any traces of originality imho. It is what it is. 

Agusa you say? Alright I will have to check em out. I also seem to remember noni commenting on them being 'too weird' which very much enticed me. Funny how some posts obviously written in a negative way can have the exact opposite effect on others. I know quite a few reviewers who have the exact opposite tastes in music as I have, so when a 1 or 2 star review is posted I'm all over the albumApprove The forum works similarly methinks.

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 10:52
The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Strange Days
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 13:39
Today:
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere (I am really enjoying those interspersed flute parts)
Can - Tago Mago
Lalo Schifrin - Cool Hand Luke Soundtrack (Lalo. Mmm yes the name is brilliant. Just so happens his music is equally thrilling. One of the first cats to incorporate fusion into movies.)
Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place
Eloy - Ocean (I am addicted to that bass! Listening to Eloy a lot these days and find myself unusually drawn to the bass.)
Faust - Fresh Air (One of the year's finest imo. Took me exactly two spins to 'get' the opening titletrack. Haven't looked back since. How did it fare with you Hubert? I saw you span it the other day;)

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 522>