Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 19:37
So, those tracks are everything they did for ZP?  But Antonioni just chose two of them?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 19:44
I just read some interview clips from that time.  They weren't too pleased that they did all this work and he only chose a bit of it  LOL

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 20:06
The first three pieces on my list were on the original soundtrack, the rest were additions for the reissue. I wonder how many other leftovers are remaining unreleased?! There's that massive PF box set on the way at the end of the year for several hundred dollars that I'm sure will have more!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 20:27
According to Dave they worked 3 weeks in a primitive Rome studio and recorded "the entire soundtrack" but MA rejected most of it.

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 21:43
Cor Cordium - Glass Hammer

What a great album, seriously. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 00:53
Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man I
Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man II 
The Heavy Minds - Treasure Coast
The Machine - Offblast!
Sophie's Earthquake - Sophie's Earthquake  EP
Agusa - Katarsis (live)

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 03:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

See, green AND blue!
Big smile Speaking of them, I should get their second album, I spun this one and the debut a lot already Embarrassed Oh, and it looks like there will be new CdZ and Unreal City albums next year Big smile

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I enjoyed the Latte Miele way more than the Orme. :) 
Two very different albums, in terms of mood, although it's more likely I'll be in the mood for Latte e Miele. Such sweet music, like the band name suggests Approve

Also yesterday:
Festa Mobile - Diario di Viaggio della Festa Mobile
Franco Leprino - Integrati... Disintegrati (I really resonate with Leprino's unique perspective on electronic music. Amazing album Clap)
Nicotine's Orchestra - Gipsycalia
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (You made me spin this one, Michael. Since my vinyl reissue is from around Wilson's remix, I thought it could have the shortened version of "Moonchild" instead of the original, so I timed it. Fortunately it has the normal lenght, otherwise I'd make a face like the one on the cover LOL)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 07:47
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Speaking of them, I should get their second album, I spun this one and the debut a lot already Embarrassed Oh, and it looks like there will be new CdZ and Unreal City albums next year

Even though I didn't get the second CdZ album when it came out, I did do a catch-up order with it from Syn-Phonic, but this was about a year ago, and I put it away on my CD shelf when I did an alphabetical tidy-up several months back, and I STILL haven't listened to it! It's meant to be rather good, though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:42
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Goblin - Roller Michael made me do it. Goblin is very different to anything I have heard in RPI and even prog as a whole. They take the Italian symphonic approach, but there is a definite jazzy, groovy, funky influence here. Kind of in the vein of Gentle Giant from Power and Glory. It was a great listen, I really enjoyed the electronic passages, which really enrich the music. The "Goblin" track is killer! I'll need to check out some of their soundtracks.

Glad you dug that one, Tymon! There's a few other good Goblin discs to look into. Of the soundtracks, probably `Suspiria' and `Profondo Rosso' should be looked into (the proper shorter original vinyl track-listings, not the super-expanded versions!), but they also put out (like `Roller') another purely non-soundtrack work called "Il Fantastico Viaggio Del "Bagarozzo" Mark", which is probably closest to a proper RPI/Italian prog disc than anything else they did after `Roller'. Sadly I don't actually own that one, I actually forget about it a bit too often!

Speaking of Wendy/Walter Carlos, I rave about an album she released called `Sonic Seasonings', a double LP from 1972 full of these beautiful ambient pieces. It seems massively ahead of its time, with long droning passages a world away from the classical synth adaptions.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 09:04
I spent 11 hours in airports and on airplanes yesterday, so I passed my time with:
  • T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland
  • King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
  • Rush - Fly By Night
  • Rush - Permanent Waves
  • Yes - The Yes Album
  • Molly Hatchet - S/T
  • Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams
  • Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes - Call of the Wild
  • PFM - L'isola di Niente
  • Santana - Abraxas
  • Birds and Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 10:06
Over the last few days:

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver.
Jean Michel Jarre - Essentials And Rarities.
Robbie Robertson - Storyville.
David Bowie - Blackstar.
Bailterspace - Solar 3.
Goldie - Saturnz Return.
JK Flesh - Rise Above.
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.
Tangerine Dream - Official Bootleg Series Volume One.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 11:26
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Even though I didn't get the second CdZ album when it came out, I did do a catch-up order with it from Syn-Phonic, but this was about a year ago, and I put it away on my CD shelf when I did an alphabetical tidy-up several months back, and I STILL haven't listened to it! It's meant to be rather good, though.
I can have it if you don't want it Big smileBig smile

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I spent 11 hours in airports and on airplanes yesterday, so I passed my time with:
Nice selection, Kevin 
Thumbs Up You didn't have "Music for Airports"? Tongue

Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente (A more interesting modern Floyd-like band than Airbag, to my ears, although my opinion is biased Tongue I'm still waiting for the reissue they promissed so long ago, how do they want to promote their work if it's not available? No wonder it only has five ratings here.)
Pulsar - Halloween (I liked it much more now than on the first listen)
B4 Sunrise - Martians
Birth Control - Rebirth (It's very different from their previous albums, and indeed very American sounding (reminds me of The Allman Brothers at times), but I really liked it. The instrumental work is explosive, I don't miss the vocals at all! I didn't like "No Shade is Real" much though.)
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon Heart

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 12:29
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Quella Vecchia Locanda Indeed, this is very beautiful, romantic music and I totally understand the band's phenomenon. Not exactly my type of RPI, but it still does something to me. Man, this was a good album to listen to at the beach when I first checked it out. The violins make the whole deal so interesting!

Tim Hodgkinson - Each in Our Own Thoughts Very, very good album. Tim Hodgkinson really nailed this one. Every piece is in place. The obvious highlight here is "Hold to Zero Burn, Imagine", the re-interpiretation of a Henry Cow piece, "Erk Gah" that was very often played, but never recorded in studio. The string quartet piece is also fab!

Seramis - Dedicato a Frazz This is a grower. At first, I did not really like it, seemed pointlessly dark and, in result, dull. Now, I am starting to appreciate it. Jim, I read your review on that and learned quite a few new interesting things. The guitar is definitely a highlight here, but the vibraphone is a very original touch of diversity.

The Keith Tippett Group - You Are Here, I Am There I don't know why this gets medicore ratings. In my opinion, this is such an excellent album. It's difficult, but the quality of music is extremely high (which cannot be said about the recording quality). The jam on "I Wish There Was Nowhere" is such a foot-tapper!

Opus Avantra - Introspezione Was not really in the mood for more troo RPI, so I decided to check out something new. This is strangely strange music. The bombast quality, reminiscent of baroque era in Italy is present, but is mixed with this very unsettling avant-rock sauce. It's good, but I can't say I enjoyed it. But I will like it, just need a few more listens.

I'm looking for classic, romantic RPI band, very much like Celeste, but also Museo Rosenbach, which (here is the main requirement) uses loads of Mellotron. Sam, I thought this might be of interest to you, I borrowed my dad's iPad and immediately downloaded the free version (less patches) of Mellotronics M3000. The simulation is unbelieveably good. You get basic sounds, if you use for free, ("Watcher" patch, orchestra, some female voice, old, haunting organ, Rhodes, Moog swoosh, and staccato violin), but it's still great. They allegedly used the original tapes to create the software. This is hgihly recommended if you have or can borrow an iPad. That's why I'm asking for Mellotron-driven RPI, I quickly got bored with playing "Wacther of the Skies" intro and "Celestial Voices." LOL

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 30 2016 at 12:32
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 12:47
@ Tymon....Semiramis is one that blew me away initially but after a while I grew weary of it...so I haven't played it in a long time.  I'll have to check it out again.  Opus Avantra is a real gem, they have several cool albums, but of course they are a much "dryer" form of RPI, esp the later stuff.

@ Sam....how did you like Festa Mobile?  That's an interesting one if I recall, lots of aggressive piano playing?

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:06
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

@ Tymon....Semiramis is one that blew me away initially but after a while I grew weary of it...so I haven't played it in a long time.  I'll have to check it out again.  Opus Avantra is a real gem, they have several cool albums, but of course they are a much "dryer" form of RPI, esp the later stuff.

@ Sam....how did you like Festa Mobile?  That's an interesting one if I recall, lots of aggressive piano playing?

Jim I don't recall aggressive piano playing on that album, on the contrary I remember it being quite pastoral, melodic and gentle, I could be wrong though, you've just proved to me that it has been too long since the last time I played it.

On the other hand Semiramis I remember well! I think it definitely deserves another spin my friend, it's just so wild and raw, always thought of it so highly really.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:10
^ I could be wrong, been a long time for me, too!  I haven't played so much RPI in the last year but all the enthusiasm from you guys is "pulling me back in" Smile

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:23
Le Orme - Florian
Vespero - Droga (These guys never miss!)
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Vita Nova - S/T
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:33
I'm due to give `Florian' another spin soon, Sagi! I always loved Jim's review of that one too.

Tonight's choices:

Atomic Rooster – Death Walks Behind You – I can never quite figure out what it is about this album that reminds me of Metallica?! Is it the singer?! I could actually imagine that band covering the opening title track!

Metamorfosi – s/t – I’ve always loved this charming debut, but it’s odd that I have this one yet not their classic `Inferno’!

Biglietto per L’Inferno – s/t – Such a ballsy kick-ass classic, I never tire of it.

Biglietto per L’Inferno – Il Tempo Della Semina – OK, so not a proper follow-up album, but still decent. I need to remember to listen to it more often, as there’s plenty of good music on it.

Blues Pills – Lady in Gold

Il Volo – s/t

Jethro Tull – Aqualung- – Nope, still not a fan, but this time I disliked it the least amount – progress!

Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick – Definitely better than `Aqualung’, more lively, but without really engaging with Anderson’s words and voice, it’s very hard for me to personally click with this band.

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un Minuto – I often dismiss this a little because the two after it are Italian classics, but this truly is just as good in many ways. Thanks, Sagi, you always insisted it was better than I used to rate it.

Pierrot Lunaire – s/t – Such a lovely gentle album, another debut I’m very fond of.

Osanna – L’Uomo

Osanna – Landscape of Life

Osanna – Suddance
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:51
Ad Maiora - Repetita Luvant.   Jury still out.  Some nice parts, some "prog by numbers" feel.  Too many English vocals. 

Mike Oldfield - Earth Moving.   God I liked this way more than I should.  But I'm very capable of enjoying pop albums, I don't judge this album for not being Ommadawn.  Had a friend back in the day who destroyed this album after one play.  Brand new.  I said....ya could've sold it man.....he goes....Nope, it needed to be rendered unplayable this instant. 

RDM - Io Come Io.  Garage, baby.  Some nice parts but not all that exciting to me. 

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:53
Anthony Braxton - 3 Compositions of New Jazz (first listen)  Impossible to rate, probably one of the oddest jazz albums I've yet heard (and that's saying a damn lot). Grew on me over time, not sure if it's great or anything, but certainly respectable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 522>