Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 14:32
Kristen Hersh - The Grotto
'Til Tuesday - Everything's Different Now
Dave Gilmour - On an Island (Best "Floyd" album since...)

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 17:04
Lunatic Soul "Untamed"
Dead Can Dance "Dionysus"
Alan Stivell "Human~Kelt"
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 03:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Dave Gilmour - On an Island (Best "Floyd" album since...)
It's my favourite solo Floyd album, very heartwarming and relaxing and yet sometimes dark and isolated. It could be titled "The Pros and Cons of Living on an Island" Tongue

This weekend:
Trip Lava - Ounds (Clearly an headphones album.)
Causa Sui - Vibraciones Doradas (To remind me of the best concert I've seen this year Cool)
Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34 Phase I & II (Listening to it as separate EP's as it was originally released.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:57
^

Yup. Relaxing, engaging, emotionally-appealing. On this spin, it felt like the most emotionally-appealing work since Wish.  I'm not a huge Animals fan. So while I think that The Wall is a more iconic and important and conceptually interesting, On An Island may be, for me, the most appealing work since Wish.  Roger's stuff doesn't do it at all for me anymore.

I do like Endless River but think they made a huge mistake not having a bit more vocals.  I love instrumental rock and understand the appeal, but they could have employed his voice just a bit more--not every track--still have lots of open space.  But how do you have access to one of rock's most beautiful male voices and then not use that weapon?

Edited by Finnforest - November 19 2018 at 13:59

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:35
Ooh Kristin Hersh...I love Throwing Muses' House Tornado album and The Fat Skier EP. I've never checked out her solo stuff...yet.

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^^^^ Love Killing Joke Prog Sothoth .:)
Yeah I'm really digging them these days. Very diverse in sound...not concerning individual songs on albums since they seem to get into a particular groove and roll with it, but over the course of their discography. They sure have a lot of phases!

Killling Joke - Killing Joke: Not the classic debut, but the 2003 self-titled, and man does it get heavy. Much of the vocals are in belligerent soccer hooligan mode, but the croons come out on occasion, and  "You'll Never Get to Me" is quite a beauty. Overall, though, these is one mean and even metallic affair. Punchy and awesome.

Killing Joke - Fire Dances: Quite energetic with lots of tom-hits, giving many of these songs a "tribalistic" vibe (is that even a word)? The chord progressions are really weird, draping the album with a weird vibe, almost eerie yet ironically jubilant. Unusual post-punk rock with some pop inflections but nothing close to commercial.

Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul: My wife got me this LP, released in 1968, because she deduced that my collection needed a bit more "soul". I concur, since this is amazing stuff. Not just the vocals, but the band too. I mean Eric Clapton and Bobby Womack on guitars? Damn!. The song "Niki Hoeky" is like total FUNK.

Paul McCartney - Ram: Listening to this again (this time on yellow vinyl), and I have to admit that towards the end the album does get kinda goofy. Not in the cool "Monkberry Moon Delight" way, as "The Back Seat of My Car" is a bit cringy. "Long Haired Lady" has Linda going full nasal in parts, but the rest of the song is pretty gorgeous regardless.

Lovebites - Awakening From Abyss: Mi-ya is my new favorite guitarist. The other guitarist in the band can shred like a master too, but Mi-ya does a lot of the composing, also plays the keyboards on the album, and even more importantly, her sleek feline looks are shrine-worthy. I can be so shallow at times...but hey, it's power metal! When does "deep" even matter? Goddess Mi-ya...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:53
^
She's cool although I'd probably check out "Hunkpapa" and even "Real Ramona" before charting into the solo albums. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:45
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Kingston Wall - II
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space
Aimee Mann - Whatever

Lost in Space was pretty cool, but I like the atmosphere of the TT records better than Whatever.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 19:17
The Sonics | Here Are the Sonics
Crispy Ambulance | The Plateau Phase
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 | Lovelyville
Xeerox | 1979-1981 Recuerdo Espectral de un Viejo Decorado Electrico
Zulj | Untitled
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 19:55

[/QUOTE]

Great titles there, Jim.  I'm in the minority with Styx faves, but I actually like Cornerstone better than the much loved Pieces of Eight.  And it follows with something Dennis said once re Pieces.  Dennis doesn't care for the album because he thought his tracks sucked.  But he acknowledged that Tommy's were great.  That's kinda how I feel about it.  I like Tommy's Pieces songs but not so much Dennis'.  But I think both did well on Cornerstone.

Caress!  Heart
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it has been too long since I heard Caress.

I have to admit Jim, I really have not heard any of Styx's albums after Pieces of Eight.  Of course the songs on the radio after that, but that was it until earlier this year at another record show I picked up Paradise Theater which I was quite pleased with.  At this last show I evidently forgot I had Paradise and picked another copy (did the same thing with Yes's Relayer last year) LOL .  I guess the memory is the 2nd thing to go, can't remember the 1rst.....

Yesterday and today:

Rush - Hemispheres
Queen - News of the World
Pink Floyd - Meddle

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 20:58
Hey Jim, if you like Paradise, there's a pretty good chance you'd like Cornerstone. Cornerstone is unashamedly pop in many places which is why the Grand Illusion/Pieces of 8 fans loathe it, is is less overblown and less art-ey.  But it has some really catchy pop-rock songs, reasonably close in feel to Paradise Theater.  Honestly, I think that's as far forward as you need to go with Styx unless you want to start rolling the dice with stuff like Kilroy and what came later.  Moving backwards with Styx is way more fun...all the way to the Wooden Nickel days.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 18:36
Paradise Theater is a killer album. The vinyl had a good hologram thingy on it, the first time I’d seen such a thing.
I remember roller skating with a girl I’d asked to hold my hand for “The Best of Times”. It kinda was. One of the few times in my life I had the guts to approach a girl.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 18:48
Trio | Da Da Da
The Drones | I See Seaweed
Daughters | Hell Songs
Prurient | Frozen Niagara Falls
Today is the Day | Temple of the Morning Star
Frank Zappa | 200 Motels
Le Groupe X | Out Off
Quickspace | The Death of Quickspace
Chuck Dukowski, Paul Cutler, Bill Stinson | UGM
Tones on Tail | Everything!

Edited by HolyMoly - November 20 2018 at 20:10

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 19:07
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Paradise Theater is a killer album. The vinyl had a good hologram thingy on it, the first time I’d seen such a thing.
I remember roller skating with a girl I’d asked to hold my hand for “The Best of Times”. It kinda was. One of the few times in my life I had the guts to approach a girl.

Love this, Steve.  Our experiences seem to be not so far off in time and moments.  I remember the first time I ever approached one of the fairers...it was also at the roller rink and I had a crush on this girl.  We did the couples skate handhold thing...but for me it was to "Dog and Butterfly."  I thought it was great. The only  thing I remember her saying was that "the song lyrics were too mushy."  LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 19:14
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
10CC - Deceptive Bends
Climax Blue Band - Gold Plated

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 20:16

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Love this, Steve.  Our experiences seem to be not so far off in time and moments.  I remember the first time I ever approached one of the fairers...it was also at the roller rink and I had a crush on this girl.  We did the couples skate handhold thing...but for me it was to "Dog and Butterfly."  I thought it was great. The only  thing I remember her saying was that "the song lyrics were too mushy."  LOL
i did get a bit verklempt remembering that. :)
Dog and Butterfly would have my memory even better.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 21:16
It's funny how certain moments in childhood that were seemingly quite simple stay with us for the long haul.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 07:36

Yup. Relaxing, engaging, emotionally-appealing. On this spin, it felt like the most emotionally-appealing work since Wish.  I'm not a huge Animals fan. So while I think that The Wall is a more iconic and important and conceptually interesting, On An Island may be, for me, the most appealing work since Wish.  Roger's stuff doesn't do it at all for me anymore.

I do like Endless River but think they made a huge mistake not having a bit more vocals.  I love instrumental rock and understand the appeal, but they could have employed his voice just a bit more--not every track--still have lots of open space.  But how do you have access to one of rock's most beautiful male voices and then not use that weapon?
Animals is a different beast (pun intended). It was the first Floyd album I was fixated on, a great transition album for someone who came from Punk Rock. I still think it has Gilmour's best guitar work, he set his guitar to kill instead of stun LOL Roger's stuff, or The Wall for that matter, never did it for me though.

I always think it should have been fully instrumental, the end is a bit odd, it seems like something they put there to have a song to play on the radio.

This week so far:
FEM - Mutazione (Sounds like AOTY material to me!)
Urso Bardo - Vida e Morte de Dona Antónia
Cake - Fashion Nugget
Riverside - Second Live Syndrome
Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair
Gösta Berlings Saga - Et Ex
Esfera - Plano
Alusa Fallax - Intorno Alla Mia Cattiva Educazione (I don't know why I never heard of this before. Terrific album!)
Änglagård - Hybris (I realized I listened to so many related projects but barely never listened to them.)
Jorge Palma - Asas e Penas
Camel - Rain Dances (Always a great listen.)
Casiopea - s/t

Edited by Meltdowner - November 21 2018 at 08:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:46
^You're right about Dave's guitar on Animals.  Monster.

And I do get the fully-instrumental thing too, and I like the fact that, these days, such a move is both daring and likely really frustrating to the suits. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 11:27
^^^^ I'll need to get Cornerstone to round out my classic Styx era, since I like Paradise (although I need to get Crystal Ball back again).  Oh yeah, Jim I love the Wooden Nickel stuff, my first exposure was Styx 2 back then, then got the rest.

Past day or two:

Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Beatles - Abbey Road
Eric Claption - Journeyman
Pure 80's Hits - Various (just something fun I picked up for $1)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 21:12
Gerry Rafferty - City to City
Jethro Tull - Benefit
BOC - Extraterrestrial LIVE  
Elton - Capn Fantastic
Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl

Five good ones today.

Sounds good Jim.  I love those "hits" compilations sometimes.  Reminds me of the Ktel days.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 523>