Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 276277278279280 524>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 15:06
Yeah been a long time Finnforest Chrome, Firefox, and IE were apparently infected with something that tacks on a lot of garbage and I mean a lot to any post I'd try and make.  Just installed Opera and problem solved.  Maybe it had something to do with the browsers not having a musical name, I dunno.  Anywho.  Up next is a gift from Gayle Ellet who appears on this album.  It's total ambient. Ecovillage Sacred World.
ECOVILLAGE - Sacred World

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 20:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

UFO - Phenomenon
Holy cow, where has UFO been all my life?  One of those bands I never got around to.  Good stuff.

wow, you got a lot of listening to do, they have a ton of great stuff Big smile

Oh Yeah!  Lights Out was my first exposure to them.  Saw them live in the 70s and could not hear much of anything for a week LOL (I think them and Ted Nugent tied for the loudest band live I saw).  Schenker years are awesome.

Today:
Trans-siberian Orchestra - The Christmas Attic
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
Alice Cooper - Schools Out (such memories)
Kiss - Destroyer (I know, I am ashamed of myself Embarrassed , too much Chardonnay and turkey)

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:01
Jim- I will have to check out that Lights Out (as well as some more Nugent which has been sounding good too.) Hard rock renaissance continues...

Brian- I love that album cover in your last post.  Beautiful.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:03
Little River Band - Best of
BOC - Some Enchanged Evening
Slobberbone - Barrel Chested
Andy Williams - Christmas
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:15
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...

This was recorded live from shows in Chicago during the Deadwing tour, October 2005.  I've only just acquired this recently - I'm just absolutely floored by how good it is, sonically and otherwise.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:16
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I saw Robert on that tour.  I might appreciate it more now, but at the time all I wanted to hear was some Zep.  I was roundly disappointed with the set list.  LOL
not in the mood for “in the mood” eh? Haha
I just saw Plant live a few months ago and he played nothing from this era of his solo career, except for a drastic rearrangement of In the Mood. He did play some Zep - in fact he opened with The Lemon Song (minus the lemon lyric).

I saw the Shaken 'n Stirred tour as well, and was also not knocked-out.   On the other hand the presentation, the stage, lighting, dynamics, were all superb.   There was even a glitter ball near the end.   Classy show.   I probably still have the program guide.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:19
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...

This was recorded live from shows in Chicago during the Deadwing tour, October 2005.  I've only just acquired this recently - I'm just absolutely floored by how good it is, sonically and otherwise.

Hey Pat!

All three of the PT tour DVDs are fantastic if you're in the mood...Deadwing, FOABP, and Incident tours all have official DVD releases and are killer (if you like that material)

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:26
Hey Jim - great to see you again.  Yeah, I'm definitely going to be checking out more live material from around this general PT era.

I think I'm more appreciative of this band with the passage of time, which I suspect happens often.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:42
Hello Pat!
Long time!

Today:
Daughters | You Won’t Get What You Want
Supertramp | Breakfast in America
Paul McCartney | McCartney II
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I saw Robert on that tour.  I might appreciate it more now, but at the time all I wanted to hear was some Zep.  I was roundly disappointed with the set list.  LOL
not in the mood for “in the mood” eh? Haha
I just saw Plant live a few months ago and he played nothing from this era of his solo career, except for a drastic rearrangement of In the Mood. He did play some Zep - in fact he opened with The Lemon Song (minus the lemon lyric).

I saw the Shaken 'n Stirred tour as well, and was also not knocked-out.   On the other hand the presentation, the stage, lighting, dynamics, were all superb.   There was even a glitter ball near the end.   Classy show.   I probably still have the program guide.

Did he do a couple of Honeydrippers numbers at your show?  I can't say for certain...long time ago...but I have a vague memory of it.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 00:15

I

I am always just jaw dropped every time I listen to this album .

The engineering is unfreakinbelievable. Clap
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 01:01
today. Yeah I am stuck in the 80's

Foreigner-- 4 ( MFSL Original Master recording )
Pat Benatar--   Best Shots ( 1989 compilation) 
Depeche mode-- Violator ( original sound recording 1989)
U2-- War ( original sound recording 1983) 

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:58
^ Sometimes it is nice to be stuck in an era you are nostalgic about.  Oh Nick, congratulations on the new young progling coming into your life!  Enjoy some sleep while you can.... LOL

Yesterday:
Tchaikowsky - Nutcracker: The Motion Picture (DVD of 1983 ballet production with Tony Randall narrating - we always play this when we decorate the Christmas tree)
Wynton Marsalis - Marsalis Standard Time
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell 2: Back in Hell
Aerosmith - s/t
The Mystery - The World is a Game

Edit: Good to see some of PA legends popping in!

Edited by AEProgman - November 25 2018 at 07:00
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:12
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I

I am always just jaw dropped every time I listen to this album .

The engineering is unfreakinbelievable. Clap

I’m always amazed by the songcraft, the flow of the album, and the consistent quality of every track. And it was (and is) unthinkably popular on top of that!

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:16
^Indeed. It's a monster of an album.

Edited by Finnforest - November 25 2018 at 08:26

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:25
Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set
Walter Wanderly - Rainforest

Damn.....60s parents/neighbors' basement party music.... brings back memories of when we'd spy on them down the stairwell.  We kids were supposed to be in bed, but our folks and their friends were down there dancing, smoking, and partying.  They'd be all dressed up, sharp suits and dresses. Can remember dad coming up the stairs for more ice, giving us the "you're supposed to be sleeping" look, but then just laughing...no enforcement of the order lol.  Amazingly fun, vibrant sound memories. I can hear their voices intertwined with this type of music although likely not these exact titles. Lots of swing and big band music too.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 08:52
Wow, it's been a while since I've last checked in here. Some of the stuff I've listened to recently:

Tod Dockstader - Water Music/Two Moons/Quatermass
Sonic Youth - Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Internazionale - Elegy for the Victors
Barrio Sur - बड़ा शोक (heart break)
Murmuüre - Murmuüre
Pocahaunted - Island Diamonds
Swans - Children of God
Andrew Stott - Passed Me By
Traag - Surface World

Edited by ALotOfBottle - November 25 2018 at 08:52
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 17:00
Frank Zappa | 200 Motels
Frank Zappa | BBC Orchestra: The 200 Motels Suites (2013; from YouTube)
Frank Zappa | 5/15/70 Mothers Live with Zubin Mehta & the LA Philharmonic
Earth & Fire | To the World of the Future
Flipper | Live DVD
David Byrne | Complete Score to the Broadway Thingamabob “The Catherine Wheel”
White Stripes | Get Behind Me Satan
Judas Priest | Defenders of the Faith (30th Anniv Deluxe)

As usual I’m obsessing over the 200 Motels stuff.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 25 2018 at 18:53

-Kehlog Albran
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 17:47
Love all of that Zappa especially!

Today, iamthemorning - Ocean Sounds
          King Crimson - Volume 1 of The Collectable King Crimson, the Live in Mainz, 1974 portion
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 19:35
Nice chill albums on a Sunday

Spyro Gyra- Collection
Christopher Cross - s/t. (Quite a few hits on this debut)
Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 276277278279280 524>