Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 18:16
I usually play Countdown, Aja, or Royal Scam, so I hadn’t played Pretzel in a while. Though I do feel I know it by heart - my dad used to listen to Steely Dan all the time in the house. But today I was listening on earbuds and noticed some details in the mix that I had never noticed before - like a pedal steel part in the background of Barrytown that really adds to the sound but is barely audible. There was a fuzz bass in Monkey in Your Soul that sounded really cool too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 18:29
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

One for Nick:

Clap

Flying birds...excellent birds .Smile

I love the LIVE in 1987 (Athens version) 

Pg rules .Wink

Man, the Athens concert is soo good..great sound and set-list. The song 'excellent birds' first appeared on Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak album: A bit weird in places but an excellent record overall and a must hear only for Ade Belew frantic (as usual) guitar work.

Time to spin some PG.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 18:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I usually play Countdown, Aja, or Royal Scam, so I hadn’t played Pretzel in a while. Though I do feel I know it by heart - my dad used to listen to Steely Dan all the time in the house. But today I was listening on earbuds and noticed some details in the mix that I had never noticed before - like a pedal steel part in the background of Barrytown that really adds to the sound but is barely audible. There was a fuzz bass in Monkey in Your Soul that sounded really cool too.

Really not a clunker in the bunch.  One of my friends must have lifted my Katy Lied, so I need to track that down and hear it again. 

Also, love the Minutemen version of Dr. WuLOL

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 20:38
re: Katy Lied

Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day

I grew up in Miami, so the Biscayne Bay holds many vivid images in my head. But I strain to remember anyone, Cuban or otherwise, sleeping there.

Are you with me Doctor....

Man, that song just conjures up all kinds of memories of Miami. In particular, this one part of Coconut Grove near my high school. My high school was right on the bay, in fact. Our football field was positioned such that they needed a guy in a canoe to go fish the attempted field goals out of the water

Edited by HolyMoly - December 10 2018 at 21:08

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 17:46
^
Miami....nice!

IQ - Ever
O.R.k. - Soul of an Octopus
Men at Work - Business as Usual
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:37
^ I need to spend more time with those recent Steely Dan albums. For whatever reason they just breeze right by my ears when I play them; yet I know there’s something going on there. What tracks do youthink are highlights?

The Feelies | Crazy Rhythms
The Feelies | The Good Earth
Ariel Pink | Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
Various Artists | Worn Copies: a Tribute to Ariel Pink (which I proudly play on)
Parquet Courts | Sunbathing Animal
Parquet Courts | Human Performance
Genesis | Foxtrot

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:54
That's funny, Steve. I'm in the exact same place as you.  I really like both of those last two albums, but I'd don't have them absorbed and would be hard pressed to name song titles.  But nothing against them, I really enjoy them when I play them, which admittedly isn't very often.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 07:52
^^
One thing I can say for sure  is that the live DVD for "Two Against Nature" tour is awesome.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 11:17
Sergei Djokanov - The Green Desert
Amgala Temple - Invisible Airships
Aton Five - Solarstagia
Athlantis - Metalmorphosis
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Finch - Beyond Expression
Van der Graff Generator - The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome
Ash Ra Tempel - s/t
B12 - Time Tourist
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
ABC - The Lexicon of Love
Elephant9 - Greatest Show on Earth
La Coscienza di Zeno - Una Vita Migliore
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 11:36
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

La Coscienza di Zeno - Una Vita Migliore

Tes impressions sur celui-ci, vieux lémurien des buissons?

Ton appréciation du chant de Monsieur Hammill s'améliore ou se détériore avec le temps? (simple curiosité)
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 12:07
Yesterday:

Tormentor - Anno Domini
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 14:29
anthrax-- Spreading the disease . ( o.p 1986. Man. That Charlie Benante is a real star . 10/10 for the drumming. Star of the show. )
Toto-- Past to present ( 1990 CBS recordings. A great headphone listen. There is nothing quite like cranking Hold the line .superior. Has even more impact than a ton of today's metal cause of the blissful recording techniques used. )
App-- NH3 (Ammonia avenue. O.P 1984 . I like the original only slightly more than the 2008 remaster . Both are great however with the OP you get a broader focus of the mix and musical nuances. )
Sepultura .( Beneath the remains o.p 1987 . A true thrash album and one that actually has bass. Something Metallica desperately lacked. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 14:33

One for Nick:

Clap

Pg rules .Wink

Man, the Athens concert is soo good..great sound and set-list. The song 'excellent birds' first appeared on Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak album: A bit weird in places but an excellent record overall and a must hear only for Ade Belew frantic (as usual) guitar work.

Time to spin some PG.

I am gonna get on that train soon . I think UP and Security are my favourites still .
And yeah. Love the Manu Katche drums .:)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 14:40
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
Miami....nice!

IQ - Ever

How did it go over with you, Jim ? 
God .that album is the pinnacle and true model of greatness  To me. 
If you loved the album I would definitely check out the new 2018 remix .
It is more centric with keyboards and bass . Punch of cooks snare drums are more subdued so the overall mix could be in balance and better focus .
I love both but my god I am such a purest these days that I do favor and have more of an attachment to the original .
Both are truly great though .all comes down to matter of taste and quite frankly I am amazed Holmes and aubrey pulled it off. Clap
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 15:38

That's funny, Steve. I'm in the exact same place as you.  I really like both of those last two albums, but I'd don't have them absorbed and would be hard pressed to name song titles.  But nothing against them, I really enjoy them when I play them, which admittedly isn't very often.
it makes me wonder if people new to Steely Dan have the same trouble internalizing their 70s/80s albums. Are they that different? Or am I just so familiar with them that they feel like a natural part of my life now?

Edited by HolyMoly - December 12 2018 at 15:39

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 18:09
^^
Hey, Nicholas.  It went over fine. I'm liking all of these IQ albums, very lush and melodic, although it would take a lot more spins before they really begin to sink in.  There's a lot there to absorb.  Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 18:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

it makes me wonder if people new to Steely Dan have the same trouble internalizing their 70s/80s albums. Are they that different? Or am I just so familiar with them that they feel like a natural part of my life now?

I suspect so. It takes  a while to assimilate detailed music fully. I also think the stuff we listen to in our teens and 20s gets hard wired and it's so  easy to jump back into no matter how old we get. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 18:42
Steely Dan - Katy Lied
Haken - Affinity

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 18:55

One for Nick:

Clap

Pg rules .Wink

Time to spin some PG.

I am gonna get on that train soon . I think UP and Security are my favourites still .
And yeah. Love the Manu Katche drums .:)

Spent most of the day with his first two (2 or 3 listens each), had been a while since the last spin. Far from perfect but quite interesting and very enjoyable records with little gems on both. For significant personal reasons 'US' and 'Secret World Live' are the ultimate PG for me: A brillant artist at the top of his game.

Play them all Loud, bro!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 19:51
Joni Mitchell | Song to a Seagull
Joni Mitchell | Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter
Joni Mitchell | Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm
Brain Donor (Julian Cope) | Love, Peace, and F***
Genesis | Duke
Yes | Relayer
Cathedral | Stained Glass Stories
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Worn Copy
Procol Harum | Procol Harum

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 522>