Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 14:29
I used to do some D&D, but I didn’t have the patience to play the proper way - I’d get a character who was already pretty powerful (lots of “experience points” haha), and still get killed within an hour or so. Fascist Dungeon Master.
I really enjoyed the reference books, they were fun, especially the monster handbook which listed all the monsters and gave their stats. I was really into baseball cards and got really into reading/memorizing the stats on the back of those too.

I got a buttload of CDs for Xmas. People have learned that CDs and records (or gift cards to purchase them) are all I really want anymore. Save for the occasional guitar pedal.

Lost track of all I’ve played in the past few days but here’s what comes to mind:

Chris Corsano & Bill Orcutt | Brace Up! (Bill is the guy on the right in my avatar)
Joni Mitchell | Shadows and Light (live)
The Drones | Feelin Kinda Free
Thee Oh Sees | Smote Reverser (in which this prolific psych/punk band seems to complete its gradual crossover to psych prog?)
Bambara | Shadow On Everything (great goth rock band I saw last year opening for Liars)
Magma | Sl*g Tanz
Bardo Pond | Volume 8
Car Seat Headrest | Twin Fantasy
Liars | Orig Soundtrack to the Film 1/1
Bardo Pond | s/t
GY!BE | Live VPRO Radio Session
GY!BE | Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress

And others.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 27 2018 at 14:33
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 14:34
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Actually it was this one (this is actually the first time I've seen this in decades...wow I really was a young loony!). I'm thinking maybe her armored assets played a role in this. The illustration you posted makes the original one look quite old-school and awkward!LOL

Which is the one you fell for? I see two candidates.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 17:19
The dark drow lady standing on the right (same position as Jim's picture...which is an updated illustration of the same six characters). Drow babes rule. Heart
Funny enough, I'm married to a short lithe Pakistani woman who has elfin-like features, but without the pointy ears. My first cartoon crush as a kid was the Wonder Twins girl, so I guess it's just how I roll. Maybe it's a Darwinian thing, I'm pale and roast in the sun, and my two kids will never have that issue (so jealous of their tanning capabilities).LOL

I was really into D&D during the early 80's, stopped playing when I moved to Canada in the mid-80's (new friends weren't into it), briefly got back into it during the early 90's, then haven't played it since.
I have a friend who still plays with some buds, but the rules and stats have changed so much that seems like a whole different game...I have no time for that.

Listened to:
The Beatles - The Beatles: Got the deluxe reissue as a present. Haven't played the extra stuff yet, looking forward to it.

Trees of Eternity - Hour of The Nightingale: This is quite a gem, thanks Jim! 

Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality: Find myself playing this once a week, and speaking of elfin beauties, guitarist Miyako is such a dream.

This Mortal Coil - Filigree & Shadow: My fav of their three albums. It's cool how there's no percussion for close to thirty minutes...never paid attention to that before.

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady: One of the things I really dig about their early songs is the guitar sound. Sure, they are catchy tunes, but that guitar was hella loud.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 17:29
The Cure - Head on the Door
Sinistro - Sangue Cassia

Dave...was ready for Sinistro this time, and it was indeed damn cool.  Thumbs up. 

I played D and D too in the early 80s. I was lucky enough to be accepted into a small group of Jr HS geeks who were seriously hard-core on this game. They barely needed to look at the books because they had them memorized.  They created their own modules complete with maps, room encounters, artwork, and even character classes.  I got so into it that i wrote a few modules of my own before it all crashed and burned.  All of us were decimating our classwork because we just played constantly.  Eventually, our parents made us disband and hit the school books again.  I suppose I should thank them for that. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 18:02
It’s good to know when we’ve gone a little too far. It’s only a good story if you live to tell it later.
(*tips cowboy hat, winks, hops on horse*)

Some nice listening tonight alone in the house for a bit.

BOC | Fire of Unknown Origin
Mogwai | Special Moves (live)
Camel | Breathless
ELO | Face the Music
Madness | Keep Moving
Genesis | Trespass
Mothers | Absolutely Free

Edited by HolyMoly - December 27 2018 at 19:07

-Kehlog Albran
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:06
Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:06
2 x The Mission
2 x Siouxsie and the Banshees
2 x Sex Gang Children
1 x Girlschool 
1 x Motorhead
1 x Gary Numan 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 11:07
^^^^  You guys have peaked my interest, I am going to have to check out Trees of Eternity.

Over the past few days:
Rick Derringer - All American Boy
Dogs of Peace - Speak
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light
Le Orme - Uomo di pezza
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Weather Report - Black Market
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:14
Veruca Salt - American Thighs
Veruca Salt - Eight Arms to Hold You
Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet

Jim, it is pretty cool. 

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell (thanks for the pick, Nicholas. good stuff)
nt)

It is my favourite from them. They certainly carry the torch for My Dying Bride .Wink

So Jim. Since you are less of a fan of the growls. Let's get a bit more melodic and faster paced with in the realm of quality gothic melodic rock .
I think you'll really like Wayne Hussy's guitar on this one. 

The sisters of Mercy-- First and last and always .(1985) 

For whatever time I had today .I spun a few tracks off that one . I think It is a delight but it isn't prog rock by any means .
However the muscianship is first rate. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:32
I only played D&D a few times more recently and it's not my thing. I have no patience for dialogues and characterization and my bad luck with dice is legendary LOL Board and video game RPG's are more my style.

This week:
Syndone - Mysoginia
Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
Yellow Magic Orchestra - s/t
Kikagaku Moyo - Masana Temples
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più
Celeste - Principe di un Giorno
Casiopea - Live in London 1983
Mildlife - Phase (Still my favourite from 2018, the most heard at least)
Trees of Eternity - Hour of the Nightingale (I'm not really into Metal but this was not difficult to listen to.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:58
^
^^

I've heard some people tell me that modern D and D is not as entertaining as the original Gygax era game, although I've no way to know for sure since that's all I've played. I only know the artwork went vastly downhill for my tastes after that era.  But I hear you. I love board games too. 

I'm not super knowledgeable about metal, esp modern metal, although I've dipped my toes many times through the years.  Growling is certainly not my favorite thing and I prefer clean vox, but it's not a deal-breaker either. If the music is good and the growling only intermittent, I'm usually fine.  Trees strikes me as absolutely accessible for anyone really.  It's just great material and I think the tragedy surrounding it probably added to the care that the participants put into it. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Locanda Delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più

Love this album. Wink

Sheer RPI beauty . This one is right up there with the greats. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 19:40
Crabby Appleton | s/t
Jose Luis Fernandez Ledesma Q | Sol Central
Bob Dylan | Live 1962-1966
Bob Dylan | Trouble No More: Bootleg Series Vol 13
Bambara | Swarm
Crispy Ambulance | The Powder Blind Dream
The Effigies | Fly on a Wire
Frank Zappa | Lumpy Gravy
Hair Police | Mercurial Rites
of Montreal | Innocence Reaches
Pink Floyd | Ummagumma
Soft Machine | Third
Soft Machine | Fourth

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 09:45
Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River
L7 - Bricks are Heavy
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds

Nicholas, I was pretty Meh on Sisters, but I noticed you also mentioned MDB so I tried that. Enjoyed that one quite a bit. Thumbs Up

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 08:06
Past couple days (been to a thrift store again on a few of these):

Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On  (meh...)
Sugar, Sugar, 60s Pop - Various Artist  (smiled all through it)
ELO - Time
James Taylor - Classic Songs
R.E.M. - Murmur
New Goblin - Live in Roma
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 08:21
^
I love 60s-70s pop too...always good feelings.

I'm not an ELO fan, but Time is probably the one I enjoy most, along with Out of the Blue.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 09:15
The Motels - Little Robbers
Kim Wilde
Thompson Twins - Into the Gap
Emeraude - Geoffrey
Blackmill - Miracle (really enjoyed this relaxing music)
Dionaea - Still (this is so cool. crazy stuff yet accessible to me. thanks Dave for adding this band)
Still Corners - Slow Air

Had a friend back in the day who used to enjoy trying to talk female musicians into a kiss. It was kind of like a game to him, but he was always courteous about it and only asked once. Sounds insane in today's climate but things were a bit different back then. Anyway, as you can imagine, he was "shot down in flames" about 97.3 percent of the time and his friends enjoyed him making an arse of himself.  One lady who called his bluff was Martha Davis of the Motels. She walked up to him, bent him over backwards and planted a monster full-mouth kiss on him. When she was done he looked like he'd been clubbed in the head a few times and seeing stars. 

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 17:22
Today I listened to:
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 18:10
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River
L7 - Bricks are Heavy
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds

Nicholas, I was pretty Meh on Sisters, but I noticed you also mentioned MDB so I tried that. Enjoyed that one quite a bit. Thumbs Up

Fair enough Jim! Glad you liked MDB though . Their first 3 albums are classics. Michael ( Aussie Byrd ) our mutual friend got me into MDB .Smile
Okay, Jim. Lets try one more .
I think Paradise Lost's Draconian Times will do it . I have never known anyone to have a meh like experience with that album .the guitar hooks and choruses are just amazing . hope you like it. Wink

And fyi Jim .I love that Thompson Twins " Into the gap " album. Doctor doctor!!! 
So good! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 523>