Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 525>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 18:17
gave my speakers a workout today . Can't do much headphone listening while being a Mr. Mom . lol .

Vangelis. -- Direct 
Camel-- moonmadness ( 2002 reissue .)
Pink floyd-- WYWH ( my son digs shine on you crazy diamond .:)
Vangelis-- Blade runner motion picture soundtrack. (original recording) 
Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard. -- Gladiator motion picture score. 
The b-52's-- st. ( do not love it. Definitely an acquired taste. Rock lobster is more annoying than anything else. Lol)
John Foxx-- Minematic ( 2018 reissue .)

All in all .a good day .quality background music while doing life's precious chores. 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 22:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The Motels - Little Robbers
Kim Wilde
Thompson Twins - Into the Gap
Emeraude - Geoffrey
Blackmill - Miracle (really enjoyed this relaxing music)
Dionaea - Still (this is so cool. crazy stuff yet accessible to me. thanks Dave for adding this band)
Still Corners - Slow Air

Had a friend back in the day who used to enjoy trying to talk female musicians into a kiss. It was kind of like a game to him, but he was always courteous about it and only asked once. Sounds insane in today's climate but things were a bit different back then. Anyway, as you can imagine, he was "shot down in flames" about 97.3 percent of the time and his friends enjoyed him making an arse of himself.  One lady who called his bluff was Martha Davis of the Motels. She walked up to him, bent him over backwards and planted a monster full-mouth kiss on him. When she was done he looked like he'd been clubbed in the head a few times and seeing stars. 
Love that story. Martha Davis is a real catch. I had a little crush on her myself.

Today:

Liars | Soundtrack to the Film 1/1
Liars | Mess
Mothers | We’re Only in it for the Money
Neil Young | Time Fades Away
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | OMD Singles
Procol Harum | Something Magic
Frank Zappa | 200 Motels
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 06:57
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Vangelis. -- Direct 

One of my favorites by him. Thumbs Up

Yesterday:
Trees of Eternity - Hour of the Nightingale (you guys were right, I listened on utube, darkly sweet and accessible for metal, excellent!  I am not much on the metal genre or gruff and growling vocals, but Trees get the nod).
ProjeKct Two - Space Groove

Edited by AEProgman - December 31 2018 at 06:58
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 10:38

I'm not super knowledgeable about metal, esp modern metal, although I've dipped my toes many times through the years.  Growling is certainly not my favorite thing and I prefer clean vox, but it's not a deal-breaker either. If the music is good and the growling only intermittent, I'm usually fine.  Trees strikes me as absolutely accessible for anyone really.  It's just great material and I think the tragedy surrounding it probably added to the care that the participants put into it. 
My biggest problem with modern Metal is the lenght of the albums, even with this one, it lost my attention on the last 2 or 3 tracks. I'd prefer 40 intense minutes rather than a 60+ minutes album.

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Locanda Delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più

Love this album. Wink

Sheer RPI beauty . This one is right up there with the greats. 
Yes, indeed! I took me a while to warm up to it but it won me over eventually Smile

Last albums of the year:
Girón - Clouds
Oren Ambarchi - Hubris
The Doors - Other Voices
Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky
Colour Haze - In Her Garden
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Malady - Toinen Toista
Node - Node Live
Gong - Gazeuse!
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Aaron Copland - The Tender Land Suite
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 11:06
^
I hear ya, Sam. I generally prefer shorter albums too. Many of the classic RPI albums from the 70s would clock in around 30 mins even and were completely satisfying to me. Just like with metal, some modern RPI bands will often stretch things out quite a lot. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 11:33
IZZ   Crush of Night
Recommended for me, pretty complex, well played music.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 11:57
Lake of Tears - Forever Autumn
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Syd Barrett - Barrett
The Gathering - Mandylion

Nicholas, I'll need more spins of PL i suspect. My metal tastes are weird and finicky anyway. I enjoy slow, "pretty," Scandy-foresty metal on the one hand, and early-80s thrashy/speed metal, with a touch of groove, on the other end. Sometimes, not too much in between, or at least it takes me time to warm to certain bands.  With Metallica, for example, it's only the first two albums I like. Everything after Ride the Lightning just bores the hell out of me now, but oh man, those first two albums completely and totally slay me. I'm sure most Metallica fans would find that opinion pretty daft.  Embarrassed

Have a fun and safe night tonight, rockers.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 14:59
Aesthesys ~ Achromata       

Heard "Marea," on Drew Fisher's radio show this weekend and thought I'd check out more of it...Glad I listened, really enjoyed this recording.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 07:00
Yesterday
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Camel - Snow Goose

Classical Radio Station for awhile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 07:38
Lovely choices, AEProgman...and I love Marvin the Martian!  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 10:11
Loreena McKennitt - To Drive the Cold Winter Away
Loreena McKennitt - A Winter Garden
Loreena McKennitt - Elemental
Overkill - Feel the Fire
Slayer - Show No Mercy

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 09:54
Slayer - Hell Awaits
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic
The Sundays - Blind
Overkill - Taking Over

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 18:09
^ every now and then, I’ve found, a bit of Slayer is what one needs.
And that Barrett album gives me lovely melancholy feels just thinking about it.

Magma | Inedits
Joni Mitchell | Travelogue
James Ferraro | On Air
Monoton | Monotonprodukt 07
Sun City Girls | Live Room
Frank Zappa | Civilization Phaze III

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 19:17
^
I work at home now, but when I commuted, I used to love using thrash or hard rock to wake myself up in the car on the early-morning drive to the office.  Nothing like it to get the blood moving. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 10:58

^
I hear ya, Sam. I generally prefer shorter albums too. Many of the classic RPI albums from the 70s would clock in around 30 mins even and were completely satisfying to me. Just like with metal, some modern RPI bands will often stretch things out quite a lot. 
For me Unreal City's second is one of the easiest 70 minute album to listen to. It's greatly due to the production too, the material on FEM's debut is fantastic but the lack of dynamics makes it difficult to enjoy.

This year so far:
Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Black Bombaim & Peter Brötzmann - Black Bombaim & Peter Brötzmann
Steve Hillage - Green
Nektar - Recycled
Taï Phong - Taï Phong
Blåkulla - Blåkulla
Tim Blake - Blake's New Jerusalem
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 11:28
Just saw that Wayside has a new affordably priced 3 disc set in stock containing the complete works of Finnforest. Such a cool group, I’m tempted. Since it’s also Jim’s name, I thought I’d post that news here.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:24
Finnforest is a great band, sort of a dreamy-fusion that is less dry than others in the genre. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 14:16
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud
Pascal Pinon - Sundur
Al Jolson - mix

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 17:00

Slayer - Hell Awaits
The Sundays - Blind
Overkill - Taking Over

Wow, Hell Awaits and Reading, Writing and Arithmetic...together at last!

Soccer Mommy - Clean: Hmm..a meticulous, shiny lo-fi production. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the recording sessions. "Okay soccer girl, that was flawless. Let's try this again, and this time can you flub the chord before the second chorus? Loose hands babe, maybe a shot of whisky."

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet: Similar indie vocals that are all the rage, but the music has a real dream-pop quality I really like. I'll be going back to this one.

The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance: I used to shrug this one off after the first track as being "not being trippy enough", but I'm liking it more these days. "It's Up to You" could've been a hit, very good stuff.

The Fixx - Phantoms: This is great 80's new wave. Lots of variety and way better than average lyrics. "Question" and "In Suspense" are quite unusual and cool, plus the last song has quite the atmosphere for this sort of thing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 17:18
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Slayer - Hell Awaits
The Sundays - Blind
Overkill - Taking Over

Wow, Hell Awaits and Reading, Writing and Arithmetic...together at last!

Soccer Mommy - Clean: Hmm..a meticulous, shiny lo-fi production. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the recording sessions. "Okay soccer girl, that was flawless. Let's try this again, and this time can you flub the chord before the second chorus? Loose hands babe, maybe a shot of whisky."

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet: Similar indie vocals that are all the rage, but the music has a real dream-pop quality I really like. I'll be going back to this one.

Given the state of the world these days, I find those red pill/blue pill transitions easier than ever.  One minute, I wanna -- figuratively speaking -- put my fist through the sheetrock, the next minute...need to veg out with wildflowers and tea LOL

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on both of those. Pleasant enough with Japanese Breakfast being more intriguing.  Snail Mail was another band that is similar to these two experiences somewhat. But I need further listens too.

I enjoyed that Amorphis also. I'm getting into the Scandinavian softer/atmospheric metal on one hand, but craving the early thrash on the other. 

Thanks for the tip about Fixx.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 525>