Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 524>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 19:48
Beach Boys | Friends
Beach Boys | 20/20 (I find the Beach Boys very fascinating as a study in musical development, not just of the band as a whole but of individuals within the band, especially the Wilson brothers)
Reynols | Polos Mosco (file under truly weird outsider South American music)
Chris Squire | Fish Out of Water (first listen in many years to this wonderful solo album. a great companion to the 70s Yes albums, and of equal quality)
Big Dipper | Supercluster: The Big Dipper Anthology (continuing this 3 disc set from earlier this week. New to this early alt-rock band but man, practically every song has a cool hook, riff, or something to set it apart. It rocks, too)
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 14:31
ELO - Balance of Power
REM - Murmur

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 18:21
^^ I was pleasantly surprised by Balance of Power. Quite a good synth-based ELO record. Added it to my collection just a couple of years ago.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 20:00
^
Yeah. I'm not a huge ELO guy, generally, but I can enjoy all of their albums. Discovery, Time, Balance...I like them all. 

Surprisingly, the REM left me pretty unaffected.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 20:46
Early REM can take some time to grow on you. I burned out on them years ago, but if not for them, I never would have gotten to see the Minutemen! :D

Silver Apples | Decatur
Daevid Allen & Kramer | Who’s Afraid?
Soft Machine | Fourth
Women | s/t
Women | Public Strain
Daevid Allen | Banana Moon
The Flaming Lips | Oczy Mlody

-Kehlog Albran
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 20:57
Another hometown band.  San Pedro cultivates creativity.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 17:20
The Cars - live Houston 1984
Hall and Oates - Whole Oats
Hall and Oates - War Babies

Wow, what a difference between the first HO album and War Babies. The latter is pretty wild stuff courtesy of Todd Rundgren producing, I'd imagine.  The debut is sweet but just a bit undercooked.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 20:17
^ Todd played lead guitar and I think other Utopia types were involved. Daryl Hall always had an experimental urge in him, so most of the songs and ideas on that album were his. Todd just encouraged it, though he took the hit when the album was a commercial failure. Oates wasn’t all that comfortable with that direction anyway, so they returned to a more pop/soul approach from then on.

I think Abandoned Luncheonette is the peak of the early H&O. Very much a 50/50 creative effort from the duo, with someof the strongest songs from each individually and together (“She’s Gone” being the best example of a successful collaboration).

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 20:23
Spirit | Clear
Frank Turner | Love, Ire and Song
Ultimate Spinach | Behold and See
Belle and Sebastian | Boy with the Arab Strap
Thrilled Skinny | They Said We Wouldn’t But We Did

Edited by HolyMoly - March 09 2019 at 09:04

-Kehlog Albran
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 09:45
Karfagen - Echoes from Within Dragon Island

On the Raw - Climbing the Air

Both excellent albums, each in its own way. Though I do like the latter slightly more because it's funkier.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 13:36
^^^
yeah, i read that it probably should have been called a Rundgren album with HO guesting on vox.  decent though. i've heard luncheonette, but i plan to hit a few more of those i have not heard.

GreysOlive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
spammy gamer aka spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreysOlive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 13:49
Pink Floyd - The Wall
One of my favsLOL

Edited by GreysOlive - March 10 2019 at 10:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 14:06
^
Agree with you. Great album, though usually I listen to the early stuff these days.  Goodbye Blue Sky one of my faves.

Edited by Finnforest - March 09 2019 at 16:43

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 18:00
Goodbye Blue Sky is lovely. Not to dis Roger, but it’s almost hard to believe he wrote that melody/harmony himself.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 18:05
Tim Buckley | s/t
Tim Buckley | Goodbye and Hello
Jefferson Airplane | Bark
Grateful Dead/John Oswald | Grayfolded
Adrian Belew | Op Zop Too Wah

Found that Belew album just today. I failed to buy it when it came out and it seemed to disappear from all the stores after that, so I was excited to see it again. Kind of an expansive effort, showing all he can do - pop stuff and weird stuff side by side.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 21:35
Saw Adrian at one of those shows back then, at First Ave. Same with Steve Howe. It was cool to see some of the big in smaller clubs. Though I could have lived without Steve singing "Heat of the Moment" by himself, no backup or accompaniment. 

Watched some of Nick Mason's new "pre-Meddle" band on YT....they sounded really good!  I'd rather see that show than Roger, in a heartbeat. Their set list was amazing....they did Vegetable Man evenLOL

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 12:59
^ I am finding myself more attracted to the early Floyd these days as well. More interesting to me.
I can’t say I am real familiar with H&O much other than the hits.

Past few days
Mott the Hoople-The Hoople
Neal Morse Band-Great Adventure
Mountain-Mystic Fire
Clutch-Robot Hive Exodus
Claypool Lennon Delirium -Monolith of Phobos

On AXS tv
Yes -Live at Apollo (with Anderson Waksman & Rabin. (Enjoyed it)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 19:07
^
It's great stuff. Very moody but energetic. It's escapism for my mind from things that make me anxious.

ZZ Top - Fandango
The Cars - Door to Door
The Cars - Move Like This
Meatloaf - Bad Attitude
Wilson - Insurgentes

I haven't heard D to D in three decades and had never heard Move Like This. I enjoy both, but then I am a certified Cars fan.

DtoD is similar to Heartbeat City with just a bit less in the tank. Basically, these two albums are really more pop albums than rock. Move Like This I found surprisingly good for a Cars album made in 2011 and without Ben Orr, whose voice I enjoy more than Ocasek.  But they made a good record. But my verdict on the Cars personally are the the first four are the primo while the later stuff is merely good pop music.  

Steve, remember Slade's Run Runaway? Stumbled on that video yesterday and remembered how it came out of nowhere for about 10 days, was all over radio/mtv and then vanished.  Just one of those time transport musical memories. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 20:52
I do remember that Slade hit! In fact, I bought that record back then (don’t have it now), and there was another tune on it I also heard on the radio, a power ballad called My Oh My. Wow, blast from the past.

Re the Cars, I still haven’t heard Door to Door but I do have Move Like This - about as good as one could reasonably expect from an Orr-less Cars album in 2011. Agree the first 4 are the real goods. In fact, Candy-O was the first album I ever bought on CD - they were among my fav bands in the early-mid 80s.

Today:

Kantner/Slick/Freiberg | Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun
The Voidz | Virtue
The Clash | Sandinista
BBC Concert Orchestra | Zappa: The 200 Motels Suites (from Youtube)
The Rascals | Search and Nearness
The Damned | Phantasmagoria
Zappa/Mothers | Road Tapes Venue #1: Kaerrisdale Arena, Vancouver BC, 25 October 1968

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 21:19
^
How did they get the sound they had on that first album? They're all  good, but that first album has an edge to, like a rough exterior to the sound that just reminds me of a leather jacket. Sort of a tough, punchy sound that slowly went away despite later albums still being good. So good.

Thanks for giving me a reason to spin Candy again....in honor of your first CD.LOL

I think, if memory serves, my first CD was Dog and Butterfly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 524>