Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 03:33
^ Baron Von Tollbooth. Fantastic album - Freiberg on the mellotron impresses.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 07:43
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Happy Birthday, Sam!!! 

Ah, to be 25 again....

I hope you have a wonderful day doing something you truly enjoy Beer Party
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ Have a ball Sam!  25, I can't even remember where I was then, I think Baltimore LOL.

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys! I spent the day with bureaucracies, a medical appointment and bridge night. The typical 25th birthday LOL I did see a couple of concerts this weekend though Wink

Last week:
Klaus Schulze - Blackdance
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Samsara Blues Experiment - One With The Universe
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (The only Zappa I own but I don't enjoy it much, the instrumental is really cool but the constantly loud vocals kill it for me. Could you recommend me another album that would suit my tastes better?)
Ashra - Correlations
Harmonium - Si on Avait... (I finally bought a vinyl copy of it. It was long overdue.)
PFM - Storia di Un Minuto
Tangerine Dream - Underwater Sunlight
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 18:59
Aerosmith - Rocks (nope, still don't like Aerosmith, but feel obliged to check periodically)
ELO - Secret Messages

Well, bridge night sounds fun^Smile

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 19:55

Aerosmith - Rocks (nope, still don't like Aerosmith, but feel obliged to check periodically)
ELO - Secret Messages

Well, bridge night sounds fun^Smile
I still give Aerosmith a shot now and then too. Wish I liked them more. I do think Sweet Emotion is a kickbutt song.

I don’t play bridge but occasionally I sit in on poker night with these much older retirees in my neighborhood. Those guys have some potty mouths when their wives aren’t around. Shameful.

Today:

AMM | AMM Music
R. Stevie Moore | Custom Compilation (my own mix CD)
Can | Out of Reach
Deep Purple | Machine Head
The Clash | Sandinista (continued from yesterday)
Paul Kantner/Grace Slick | Sunfighter
Emerson, Lake and Palmer | Tarkus
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 19:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

just bought it. Been expanding my Airplane/related collection lately with some deeper listening and with albums I barely knew existed (Manhole??). Very rewarding.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 20:00
^
Totally agree on SE! 
And, part of the best rock movie opening everLOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 20:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

just bought it. Been expanding my Airplane/related collection lately with some deeper listening and with albums I barely knew existed (Manhole??). Very rewarding.
Always a good thing expanding the Airplane family.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 18:30
The Cars - Candy O (damn. it is monster, Steve. great first cd!)
Air Supply - Lost in Love (As a pre-teen, I had this Columbia House cassette 13 titles for a Penny deal!)
Heart - Dog and Butterfly

Edited by Finnforest - March 12 2019 at 18:32

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 19:40
^Air Supply was one of my first concerts! I wasn’t a fan really but my best friend was so I went with him.

Dog & Butterfly... that one makes me happy just thinking about it. I think Straight On is my favorite tune of theirs.

My basement’s been repainted and has a cool new ambience to it, so I’ve been spinning some vinyl down there a bit this week. Today played 3 things In my collection I hadn’t played before (entries with a (v) below). One was okay, one was terrrible, and one was great. I’ll let u guess which was which :)

Adrian Belew | Op Zop Too Wah
Zappa | 200 Motels
James Ferraro | Last American Hero
The Fixx | Walkabout (v)
Michael Franks | Skin Dive (v)
The Style Council | Internationalists (v)
The Tubes | Young and Rich

Edited by HolyMoly - March 12 2019 at 19:44

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 00:06
I tried the tracks from 1992-5 studio albums included in Tangerine Dream's The Electronic Journey box but couldn't get into any of them and took a break listening to the reworks of classic tunes on the 1994/5 Tangents and Book Of Dreams which were a massive contrast and welcome relief. Had another go with the 2007 Dante Song Collection but the lyrics to the only decent tunes really depressed me and I finished with half of the 1999 What A Blast soundtrack which was much more upbeat, loud and actually exciting, even thrashy guitars on one track. I'm looking forward to the full album arriving in the post Smile.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 02:42

Air Supply - Lost in Love (As a pre-teen, I had this Columbia House cassette 13 titles for a Penny deal!)
Aren’t Air Supply a sappy version of Styx ??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 06:41

Indeed. I'm cool with sappy, sometimes. Embarrassed

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 07:02

Cool !! Oh yeah - Mistral Wind = the best Heart tune EVER !!!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 09:50

Styx and Stones may break my bones, but Air Supply will never hurt me.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 09:55

(As a pre-teen, I had this Columbia House cassette 13 titles for a Penny deal!) 

NOOOOOOOO!  Not the ol Coumbia House deal! LOL

I don't know how many times I would look at those ads and was tempted to pull the trigger on it, but never did.  I was looking at the 8-track tape deals for a dollar!

Image result for old columbia house ads for penny
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 18:36
Fiddler on the Roof - Film soundtrack (Topol)
Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow
Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water

I just love the music from Jewison's "Fiddler" motion picture. I don't really like musicals, but that one gets me.  Love the songs, the performances, the look he gets on film.

Those two solo Yes titles have never made a big impression on me, although this time the Squire one went down better than usual. Olias....I want to like it, but it just doesn't move me at all. 

Jim...Yes! I did the big cassette tape one and remember having to send back all the little cards each month. They'd send a cool little book of the albums which was exciting for a 13 year old, but the prices were way inflated after you got past the freebies, naturallyLOL. Great marketing.

Mistral. I've had some special moments to that song.  I wouldn't mind being 19 for a day again. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 20:37
Adrian Belew | Side Two
Adrian Belew | Side Three
Benetune (James Ferraro) | Inhale C-4
James Ferraro | Far Side Virtual
The Tubes | The Tubes
Earth & Fire | Gate to Infinity
Earth & Fire | To the World of the Future
Earth & Fire | Andromeda Girl

I remember when I first started frequenting this place I was all about Earth & Fire. Even had their female singer as my avatar. Well, I don’t listen to them as much anymore, but I still really love their albums when I do. I heard the keyboard player Gerard Koerts died recently. Consider this a belated tribute.

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 23:37
First listen to complete Tangerine Dream What A Blast - good energetic techno all the way through. Some tracks from Le Parc and Tyger off a cheap used compilation - stuff I didn't like before but now sounds acceptable, is it because I've found things I like even less?
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 06:42
Meh, first night of nightshift, settled mostly into my comfort albums

Jefferson Airplane – Takes Off
The Byrds – Mr Tambourine Man
The Doors – s/t
Led Zeppelin – I
Yes – Yes

Tony Banks – A Curious Feeling
Marillion – Seasons End

Karfagen - Echoes from Within Dragon Island
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Can | Out of Reach

The Clash | Sandinista (continued from yesterday)
Never heard that album, only know the reputation. Is it really that awful? Tongue

I remember you encouraged me to give it another chance a few years ago. I'm glad I did, although I never listened to it again since then.

This week so far:
Motorpsycho - The Crucible
Todd Terje - It's Album Time
Black Bombaim - Black Bombaim with Jonathan Saldanha, Luís Fernandes & Pedro Augusto
Klaus Schulze - Picture Music ("Mental Door" is pretty awesome!)
Astrodome - II
Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality
The Claypool Lennon Delirium - South Of Reality (I'm afraid it doesn't fit our definition of Psych Rock, Jim. It's definitely a bit more Prog than their debut though.)
Tetra - Tetra
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39 (It's been a while since I heard it and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as before. I guess I don't have much patience for his bombastic side and this album has plenty of it.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 523>