Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 524>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 17:46
^ You mean Outof Reach? Yeah that is one questionable album alright. The band themselves (except possibly Rosko and Reebop) basically think it sucks. But it still is good enough for an occasional spin. Bad for Can is still pretty good.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 19:15
Cat Stevens - Numbers
Cat Stevens - Catch Bull at Four
Cat Stevens - Back to Earth

My three "go-to" Cat albums (although I do like them all).

Numbers is eclectic and a just slightly proggy concept album. It was ambitious and high-minded and mischievous.
Catch Bull is his masterpiece in my opinion. Most people like the Tillerman/Teaser pair the best, but Catch Bull has more songwriting complexity and more exotic instrumentation while still maintaining the quality of the prior work. Beautiful, very satisfying album that he must have really toiled over.
And Back to Earth is one of the best albums I'd ever found in the $1.99 cut-out bin. It has one or two clunkers on it, but it also has some really warm and moving songs with a touch of sadness knowing he was leaving music soon.

Edited by Finnforest - March 14 2019 at 19:17

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 20:05
Thanks for the idea. Been meaning to explore Cat Stevens more. I only know a few hits.

MC5 | Kick Out the Jams
MC5 | Back in the USA
MC5 | High Time
Fear | The Record
Husker Du | New Day Rising
Passport | Looking Thru
Can | Ege Bamyasi
Lithics | Mating Surfaces
John Maus | Songs
Frank Zappa | Lumpy Gravy

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 20:25
^
I need to hear some Husker!

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 04:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

^ You mean Outof Reach? Yeah that is one questionable album alright. The band themselves (except possibly Rosko and Reebop) basically think it sucks. But it still is good enough for an occasional spin. Bad for Can is still pretty good.
Pink Floyd also think Atom sucks and it's my favourite, maybe this one will be too? Tongue I did hear their next one and thought it was pretty cool.

Yesterday:
Arturo Stalteri - André Sulla Luna
Casiopea - Casiopea
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (5.1 Surround Mix. Much more interesting than the DSOTM Surround mix, but then they have better material to work with on this one. "Welcome to the Machine" sounds fantastic.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 06:57
Last night:

Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow
The Byrds – Turn! Turn! Turn!
The Doors – Strange Days
Yes – Time and a Word
Andreas Vollenweider – Behind the Gardens...

Frank Perry – Deep Peace (always a stunning LP, hypnotic bell/chime-based drones)

Ditto – In Human Terms (a cool experimental late 80’s percussion-heavy, lightly new-wave electronic album given a recent LP reissue, very dreamy and jazzy in parts too)

Samadhi – s/t
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 12:00
Sensible Soccers - Aurora
Can - Out of Reach (Not bad really, it has some nice songs, particularly "November". Lots of groovy bass too.)
Ditto – In Human Terms
Reis da República - Fábulas (I heard their single on the radio and became intrigued, it has some clear 70's Genesis influences. I was surprised to find out it's part of a 25 minute epic.)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 13:31
Thanks for the update Sam on the new album by Claypool Lennon Delirium, sounds interesting since I did enjoy the Monolith of Phobos album.

Yesterday:
My Morning Jacket - Z (good album)
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
King Crimson - Meltdown, Live in Mexico (CD #1)

Edited by AEProgman - March 15 2019 at 14:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 16:46
Early Joni...Clouds is my favorite. 

Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull
Joni Mitchell - Clouds
Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon

MMJ...I have the one before Z but haven't played in a while. 

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 17:20
Jupiter & Okwess - Kin Sonic.

From DR Congo. Highly reccomended :)
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 17:46
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Haven't heard the other two yet, but I do like this one a lot...super folky.

Been a while:

Overkill - The Wings of War: I've never been a major fan of them, but I keep trying. I think it's the singer...like a cross between a heavy metal vibrato wailer and a barroom brawler. Just doesn't work for me. I respect them though.

Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty: The one I would recommend to newcomers. Covers lots of ground, from creepy folk to creepy rock to creepy electro pop/rock. And she's kinda creepy!

The Gentle Soul - s/t: A little folksy gem from the late 60's. Great duel male/female vocals over nice instrumentation. I'm really digging the bonus tracks from this expanded version, especially the early singles "Tell Me Love" and "Our National Anthem", which are seriously groovy psych-pop coolness.

The Smoke - It's Smoke Time: a 1967 album that has some psych influences and lots of songs about weed, but this is more of a garage rock deal, and it's cool man!

Blossom Toes - We Are Ever So Clean: More early psych, and this dives right into that British vaudville style with horns and stuff. Starts off good, but overall I didn't get into the whimsical silly vibe all that much. I heard their followup in '69 was heavier...I should check that out.

The Who - The Who By Numbers: I never listened to this whole deal before; the cover and "Squeeze Box" held me back all this time. I was missing out though, as I'm loving this. Great grumpy lyrics and less embellishments. Many years ago "However Much I Booze" could've been my anthem if I knew about it.

Mitski - Be The Cowboy: It took a few listens, but it eventually clicked. Underneath the indie-girl facade, there's lots of clever things going on musically. Jazziness in chords/arrangements. She gets accolades for her lyrics, which seem fairly typical to me, but the music has some real theory behind it. Short buggers too.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 18:14
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Pink Floyd also think Atom sucks and it's my favourite, maybe this one will be too? Tongue I did hear their next one and thought it was pretty cool.

Yesterday:
Arturo Stalteri - André Sulla Luna
Casiopea - Casiopea
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (5.1 Surround Mix. Much more interesting than the DSOTM Surround mix, but then they have better material to work with on this one. "Welcome to the Machine" sounds fantastic.)

Yeah, I quite like Out of Reach . You can tell that it was kind of rushed - it lacks some of the ambient depth that most Can albums have. A little more time spent mixing would have helped (the absence of Holger hurts here). Still, a very chill listen, though Reebop’s tune (Like Inobe God) is a mess.

Also, Atom Heart is my fav Floyd too. I can understand why the band isn’t enamored with it - the title suite is as much a Ron Geesin work as a Floyd work. Ron Geesin is a total badass by the way - familiar with his other work?

Edited by HolyMoly - March 15 2019 at 18:23

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 18:19

Joni Mitchell - Clouds
Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon

MMJ...I have the one before Z but haven't played in a while. 
Two of the songs from Clouds were covered on Fairport Convention’s debut album (I Don’t Know Where I Stand, and Chelsea Morning). Heard those long before getting into Joni.
Might be the most rock-oriented of the Fairport albums I’ve heard. I need to repurchase it cuz my copy went missing somehow. Can’t imagine selling it, I really liked it.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 21:04
Iggy and the Stooges | Raw Power
Iggy and the Stooges | Georgia Peaches (official 1973 bootleg)
Animal Collective | Campfire Songs
Bambara | Swarm
Cervello | Melos
Franco Battiato | M. Elle le “Gladiator”

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 00:14
^ I used to be mad on the Stooges and MC5, still play them occasionallyCool.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 00:31
I'm currently beginning to explore later Tangerine Dream - first listens to Tangram 2008, Quantum Gate, Quantum Key, second to Phaedra 2005 and the full What A Blast, then chilling out with The Seven Letters From Tibet which is growing on me a lot.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 07:07
Last night:

The Byrds – Fifth Dimension
Quicksilver Messenger Service – Happy Trails
The Doors – Waiting for the Sun
Triumvirat – Spartacus
Alpha du Centaure – s/t
Odyssice – Impression
Twin Age – Lialim High
Latte e Miele - Papillon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Haven't heard the other two yet, but I do like this one a lot...super folky.

Been a while:

Overkill - The Wings of War: I've never been a major fan of them, but I keep trying. I think it's the singer...like a cross between a heavy metal vibrato wailer and a barroom brawler. Just doesn't work for me. I respect them though.

Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty: The one I would recommend to newcomers. Covers lots of ground, from creepy folk to creepy rock to creepy electro pop/rock. And she's kinda creepy!

The Gentle Soul - s/t: A little folksy gem from the late 60's. Great duel male/female vocals over nice instrumentation. I'm really digging the bonus tracks from this expanded version, especially the early singles "Tell Me Love" and "Our National Anthem", which are seriously groovy psych-pop coolness.

The Smoke - It's Smoke Time: a 1967 album that has some psych influences and lots of songs about weed, but this is more of a garage rock deal, and it's cool man!

Blossom Toes - We Are Ever So Clean: More early psych, and this dives right into that British vaudville style with horns and stuff. Starts off good, but overall I didn't get into the whimsical silly vibe all that much. I heard their followup in '69 was heavier...I should check that out.

The Who - The Who By Numbers: I never listened to this whole deal before; the cover and "Squeeze Box" held me back all this time. I was missing out though, as I'm loving this. Great grumpy lyrics and less embellishments. Many years ago "However Much I Booze" could've been my anthem if I knew about it.

Mitski - Be The Cowboy: It took a few listens, but it eventually clicked. Underneath the indie-girl facade, there's lots of clever things going on musically. Jazziness in chords/arrangements. She gets accolades for her lyrics, which seem fairly typical to me, but the music has some real theory behind it. Short buggers too.

Sounds like some cool stuff. I'll have to check out Gentle Soul sometime. Who by Numbers is a fave these days too. I sort of missed that one in the past but discovered it much later.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 07:26
Michael, you're teeing up some 60s stuff too lately.Cool

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 16:16
Jim, Z album I think is my favorite by MMJ.

Today
Consider the Source-Past is Prologue
Crack the Sky-s/t

Record show tomorrow, we'll see what I come up with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 524>