Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 15:47
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Honestly man. Your descriptions and passion for music is wonderful, man!
It is very refreshing to hear others talk about albums with beaming positivity, that you love.
Crime of the Century and Breakfast in America are absolute staples in my Prog world.
I love CHILD VISION. Reminds me of being on a Boeing 767 coming home from my trip to Nepal looking over the city from my window seat just taking in the view and listening to that incredible Piano work.

Thanks! I guess part of it is that I always enjoy trying out new music (or old music I missed out on growing up) in different genres while occasionally giving some old favorites a spin when I just need something I know is going to make me feel GOOD. Even if it's crap, like that Billie Eilish album, I don't feel bad for giving it a shot, and usually I can find at least something positive out of the experience, for example: Billie's soft cooing voice is preferable to that nasal yelping a lot of pop starlets tend to utilize.

One thing for sure, I'm nowhere near at your level of passion when it comes to optimal sound quality, which can certainly make a difference in the listening experience, especially for beloved songs. Your enthusiasm for high tech audio is starting to rub off on me though; at least I want to upgrade my turntable and CD player at this point!

I'd love to trek around Nepal some day. Last year I explored Iceland while listening to some local acts. I wound up buying a couple of Iclandic language albums I particularly enjoyed during my stay to enhance the wonderful memories.

You’re very kind and I love my audio world and the system synergy I have finally been able to put together. However some areas it can also be very frustrating because of modern day mastering habits on today’s CDs. Good equipment reveals many many flaws. I’m just so thankful that most of my favorite music of all time is recorded amazingly. Mostly because it’s from the 80’s.
Anyhow. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Having expensive gear really has its pros and cons. You have a great and healthy attitude towards your music. I’m sure that any new vinyl or CD player you buy will really work for you.
Happy hunting. And don’t make yourself nuts buying new gear or headphones.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 16:01
Friday after work. I got some good time in. God bless a sleepy child

Killing Joke— Pylon ( Jaz Coleman sings very well on this record eliminating the grough vocals and opting for melodic soaring vocals. A perfect album for me. And yes I find the production quality quite awesome for a 21st century album. )
Simple Minds— New gold dream (81,82,83,84) — boxset disc 2 (extended versions) This disc is incredible!! Love it! Kind of proggy too!
Soulfly— Live at Dynamo park (1998) Oh man! Kick ass live metal record. Highly recommended.
Metallica— Reload ( yeah. It’s not that bad. Aged very well. Has maybe 2 clunkers on it. The rest I like. Fuel is a great opening track and the Bob Rock production is first rate. )
Queensr˙che—Rage for order ( holy god Geoff Tate can sing and the bass on this record is amazing. A real headphone shaker. )
Tangerine Dream— Kontinuuim ( the calm and deep elements of meditation run deep with me on this record. )

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 16:22
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The lyrics kinda hint at challenging times.

I've always loved that song and didn't realize it wasn't on a studio album.  I did find this, which is a cleaned up version of the footage/sound. Somebody must have issued a DVD at some point.

damn, I love that song. Thanks for hipping me to it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Friday after work. I got some good time in. God bless a sleepy child

Killing Joke— Pylon ( Jaz Coleman sings very well on this record eliminating the grough vocals and opting for melodic soaring vocals. A perfect album for me. And yes I find the production quality quite awesome for a 21st century album. )
Simple Minds— New gold dream (81,82,83,84) — boxset disc 2 (extended versions) This disc is incredible!! Love it! Kind of proggy too!
Soulfly— Live at Dynamo park (1998) Oh man! Kick ass live metal record. Highly recommended.
Metallica— Reload ( yeah. It’s not that bad. Aged very well. Has maybe 2 clunkers on it. The rest I like. Fuel is a great opening track and the Bob Rock production is first rate. )
Queensr˙che—Rage for order ( holy god Geoff Tate can sing and the bass on this record is amazing. A real headphone shaker. )
Tangerine Dream— Kontinuuim ( the calm and deep elements of meditation run deep with me on this record. )

I’ve got most of Simple Minds’ albums including New Gold Dream but that’s one I haven’t really listened to much yet (fairly recent acquisition). I actually pulled it off the shelf yesterday thinking I needed to get it spinning again soon. Hopefully your endorsement will speed that process.

Kinda weird how I know “Load” pretty well (and like it) but I can’t remember much if anything about “Reload”. That’s another one on the shelf I need more time with.

If there were more hours in the day and more vacation days from work, this wouldn’t be a problem. But, as the space/time axis and the economic reality seem to have no plans to radically change soon, guess I just have to plunder forth as I have.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 18:46
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

My theory on the Subhumans is their early (pre-83) stuff is best digested in EP form. A full album starts to get monotonous. Their later stuff has more variety and texture, and the albums really flow well even though they’re fairly long for punk albums.

I love Crass, but I have to be in the right mood. I like their more experimental albums (eg Christ the Album) where they mixed it up with tape experiments and such. Ever notice how practically every song on the first 2 albums has the same military drum pattern? It’s kinda funny. But even so, super cool band.

Re Subhumans, agree, and now I need to check out their live stuff.
I used to have Christ the Album on vinyl (the only Crass album I had), but that, along with a bunch of others, is currently missing, probably in some box deep in my parents house. Someday I'm going to ransack their place, a lot of punk/hardcore stuff I never sold off in the late 80s has to be in there somewhere.

Today:

Conflict - It's Time to See Who's Who: Their debut. Rowdy anarchopunk. Their rhythm section is surprisingly tight. The guitar solos...oh man they're so bad that I wonder if they were deliberately so. Not much variety, but that's kind of the point. The downside of Spotify is that I'm missing out on the cover art and especially the lyrics. It all sounds like "Bloody b*****ds bloody b*****ds bloody b*****ds!" sometimes.

Conflict - Increase the Pressure: Okay here we go. 1rst listen, and side 1 is kicking my arse! I actually know one song real well, "From Protest to Resistance", from the International P.E.A.C.E. Benefit Compilation, and it's a rush to hear it again. The production is better than the debut, and man are these guys angry. The live side isn't bad either, but side 1, oh yeah.

Conflict - The Ungovernable Force: Seems to be their most popular, but after Increase the Pressure, this is kind of a letdown personally. I mean, yeah it's got all the Conflict traits, but too much of this band in one go is probably a mistake. 

Elvis Costello - Armed Forces: I have the US version with "What's so Funny...", and that works for me. I dig this guy lots, but again, too much Elvis C. and he gets under my skin. I get a lump in my throat and have the urge to talk like he sings, annoying everyone in sight. Always loved the video for "Accidents Will Happen" too, even if I'm not sure what it's all about. I just enjoy the trip.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 20:18

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The lyrics kinda hint at challenging times.

I've always loved that song and didn't realize it wasn't on a studio album.  I did find this, which is a cleaned up version of the footage/sound. Somebody must have issued a DVD at some point.

damn, I love that song. Thanks for hipping me to it.

No prob SteveApprove

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 16:21
Record Store Day can be fun. Our local vinyl shop was having an outdoor band party with a pretty rockin band. It was at the store’s new location which is SO much easier to park at so I’ll be going there more now. Seems there are more and more good record stores these days, which is a happy fact.

No “official RSD releases” purchased today, but I did get these:

Adam Ant | Friend or Foe
Alice Cooper | Zipper Catches Skin
Martha & the Muffins | Dansparc
Martha & the Muffins | Metro Music
Chicago | III
Billy Joel | Songs from the Attic
Idles | Joy as an Act of Resistance

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 21:49
James Taylor - JT
The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
Alex Bleaker and the Freaks - Country Agenda

^
Songs From The Attic is close to the top of my Billy list.  Love it. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 08:28
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll.  -Bon Scott

Had to share this. Whether in a band or in some other context, we've all had this moment. LOL

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 14:30
I remember in high school concert band, we played an outdoor performance on some risers, and I was in the back row. We all stood up before the conductor came to seat us. My chair moved back such that the back 2 legs were no longer on the riser, so when I sat down i fell backwards off the stage with my saxophone. I wasn’t badly hurt, but I have never repeated that mistake.

I’d forgotten all about that incident until your video brought it back to memory. I need to tell my daughter that one, she’s always wanting to hear amusing stories from my past, and I thought I’d told them all at least twice already. I could really craft this story for maximum enjoyment if i give it some thought.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 14 2019 at 14:30

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 14:43
Another story, then back to the music, I promise:

Back in the 90s I was a big fan of the jam band “moe.” Saw them about a dozen times, mostly in very small venues where the band was just a few feet away. One of their greatest songs (never released in a studio version) was “Seat of my Pants”, which in a very Zappa-like (think Sheik Yerbouti) way, shifted abruptly between reggae, punk, and rapid-fire vocal sections. There’s a long building instrumental break that culminates in a fast punk freakout. At this point, Al Schnier starts jumping around the stage while playing his guitar riff, deciding to slam into bassist Rob Derhak from behind, sending the unsuspecting bassist tumbling into the crowd, i.e. me. Rob hit the ground, though I was able to help break his fall, avoiding injury, while in my right hand I held his bass guitar, utterly unspoiled by the incident.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 17:33
Great story, that bass player must've owed you a pint!
My biggest Spinal Tap moment. In 1993, the band I was in played our first gig, and lots of people showed up. Awesome. The problem was that the venue's PA system sucked, so all I could hear from the stage was the drums and the rhythm guitarist (I was the lead guitarist and vocalist). During the second song, I clicked on my digital delay pedal for my tripped-out echo-drenched solo, then clicked it again once the solo was done and I went back to joining in on the heavy rhythm riffing. Two songs later, we noticed the crowd looked all puzzled instead of hyped. I looked down and saw that my pedal light was still lit. Guess I didn't step on the button hard enough. I played two entire songs with massive echo effects washing over everything without realizing it since I couldn't hear myself. That would've been passable for some psych band maybe, but not what was supposed to be a tight crossover thrash/death hybrid. I can only imagine how weird we must have sounded, and according to friends at the gig, we had a couple of songs in our set that sounded highly unusual.

Another band's BAD moment. During a Nuclear Assault set I witnessed in 1990, some guy who was going to stagedive got knocked back by another potential stagediver, and he fell into some amp stacks, knocking them over, and as we soon learned, wrecking the band's entire wireless system that they had just acquired for mucho money. One of those nights I can imagine band members thinking about quitting and going back to school to get degrees in anything.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 19:00
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Great story, that bass player must've owed you a pint!
My biggest Spinal Tap moment. In 1993, the band I was in played our first gig, and lots of people showed up. Awesome. The problem was that the venue's PA system sucked, so all I could hear from the stage was the drums and the rhythm guitarist (I was the lead guitarist and vocalist). During the second song, I clicked on my digital delay pedal for my tripped-out echo-drenched solo, then clicked it again once the solo was done and I went back to joining in on the heavy rhythm riffing. Two songs later, we noticed the crowd looked all puzzled instead of hyped. I looked down and saw that my pedal light was still lit. Guess I didn't step on the button hard enough. I played two entire songs with massive echo effects washing over everything without realizing it since I couldn't hear myself. That would've been passable for some psych band maybe, but not what was supposed to be a tight crossover thrash/death hybrid. I can only imagine how weird we must have sounded, and according to friends at the gig, we had a couple of songs in our set that sounded highly unusual.

Another band's BAD moment. During a Nuclear Assault set I witnessed in 1990, some guy who was going to stagedive got knocked back by another potential stagediver, and he fell into some amp stacks, knocking them over, and as we soon learned, wrecking the band's entire wireless system that they had just acquired for mucho money. One of those nights I can imagine band members thinking about quitting and going back to school to get degrees in anything.

Totally can relate to the feeling of not being able to hear myself on stage. Sucks when that happens. I play lead guitar by ear (I don’t think of what notes I’m playing) so if I can’t hear myself and don’t have a good thick sound it’s guaranteed to suck.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 19:12
Great stories...I didn't know you guys were in bands. I was briefly, but we never really got further than basement parties. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 19:14
Albums from the last couple o’days:

Eric Burdon & the Animals | Winds of Change — psychedelic and occasionally ridiculous

Eric Burdon & the Animals | The Twain Shall Meet — psychedelic and mostly amazing

Group 1850 | Agemo’s Trip to Mother Earth — psychedelic and wtf

Poison Idea | Feel the Darkness — punk as fk and ready to destroy

Eric Burdon & the Animals | Love Is — double album of post-psychedelic extended covers

Adam Ant | Friend or Foe — long time since I heard this one. Very tight, very hip. Aged very well
Crime & the City Solution | Paradise Discotheque — totally love this band. Similar to the Bad Seeds but I get a lot more out of this

Crispy Ambulance | The Plateau Phase— Brit post-punk from the same scene as Joy Division but less known and much more of an acquired taste.

Deerhunter | Micro castle — trippy indie pop from my home town. Need more of their albums

Idles | Joy as an Act of Resistance — brit post punk more along the lines of Killing Joke, but released in 2018. One of my preferred releases of that year.

Martha and the Muffins | Metro Music — new wave art rock circa 1980. I think Daniel Lanois was involved

Tim Buckley | Sefronia — his penultimate release, better than people say.

moe. | Tin Cans and Car Tires — one of the bands I followed in the 90s (see comment above), I think I’ll be revisiting them a bit this week. First studio album that doesn’t sound like demo studio versions of live tracks.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 20:21
Grateful Dead - random mix
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Styx - Cornerstone

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 18:40
moe. | The Conch
Bad Brains | s/t
Weather Report | Heavy Weather
Flipper | Gone Fishin’
Golden Earring | No Promises, No Debts
moe. | Loaf
Kayo Dot | Coffins on io
Kayo Dot / Tartar Lamb II | Krakow

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:30
Henry Mancini - The Versatile Henry Mancini
Vaughn Meader - The First Family
Sasami - same

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:01

Albums from the last couple o’days:

Eric Burdon & the Animals | Winds of Change — psychedelic and occasionally ridiculous

Eric Burdon & the Animals | The Twain Shall Meet — psychedelic and mostly amazing

Group 1850 | Agemo’s Trip to Mother Earth — psychedelic and wtf

Poison Idea | Feel the Darkness — punk as fk and ready to destroy

Eric Burdon & the Animals | Love Is — double album of post-psychedelic extended covers

Adam Ant | Friend or Foe — long time since I heard this one. Very tight, very hip. Aged very well
Crime & the City Solution | Paradise Discotheque — totally love this band. Similar to the Bad Seeds but I get a lot more out of this

Crispy Ambulance | The Plateau Phase— Brit post-punk from the same scene as Joy Division but less known and much more of an acquired taste.

Deerhunter | Micro castle — trippy indie pop from my home town. Need more of their albums

Idles | Joy as an Act of Resistance — brit post punk more along the lines of Killing Joke, but released in 2018. One of my preferred releases of that year.

Martha and the Muffins | Metro Music — new wave art rock circa 1980. I think Daniel Lanois was involved

Tim Buckley | Sefronia — his penultimate release, better than people say.

moe. | Tin Cans and Car Tires — one of the bands I followed in the 90s (see comment above), I think I’ll be revisiting them a bit this week. First studio album that doesn’t sound like demo studio versions of live tracks.
Re: Martha and the Muffins - Mike Howlett (bassist of Gong) produced their early albums. Mike did a few New Wave acts (remember Fischer Z ?). Steve Hillage also produced similar acts (any body remember Real Life ??)

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 16 2019 at 03:05
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 17:40
Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked for Death: It's known during the whole writing and recording session she spent a lot of time depressed and drunk, and I can feel it. A singular style, lots of plodding tempos and a drifty tone that sometimes erupts into violent catharsis. It's tough to get through, but works as a document of a woman on the brink of killing herself through nonstop boozing.

Gang Gang Dance - Kazuash*ta: Very interesting; I thought the 4AD gibberish female singing (Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance etc.) was over, but I was wrong. This group aren't goth though, too eclectic and not moody enough, but there's lots of global music influences going. And yet, it sounds very NYC as well. I suppose the city is a melting pot.

Aldous Harding - Party: Very folksy, often dour. She's got quite a versatile voice, and there's a couple of cool songs, but I was looking for something a little more upbeat (signed to 4AD, what was I thinking?). It does look like she's heading in a more positive direction judging by her two new videos. She seems to like big hats and dancing funny these days, so I'm optimistic her upcoming full-length with do it for me.

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact: A little more oomph than Kazuash*ta, but a little less atmosphere. Not sure which album I like more...one of those "which mood am I in" deals. A super quirky album though, often more progressive sounding than a lot of modern prog. This goes for their other stuff I've heard.

Grimes - Halfaxa: I didn't realize what a celeb she was until after listening to this. Looking like her would do that I guess. This is one of her earlier and apparently less poppy albums (haven't heard her other stuff yet). It's not bad, dreamy techno-pop with plenty of quirks and good airy vocals, but after hearing GGD, this sounds watered down by comparison. It's good that I can separate music from artist, since her recent interviews make her rather A-list obnoxious.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - April 16 2019 at 17:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 523>