Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 20:11
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Late for the condolences, but sorry about your cat Steve. My cat is turning 21 years old soon. Blind in one eye and arthritic hind legs, but still healthy and alert otherwise. Never thought he'd live this long...and I'm scared that the day will finally come soon...

Went on one of my binges. The backstory...growing up my knowledge of Alice Cooper was limited to the odd live album The Alice Cooper Show my friend sold me for a couple of bucks, and the 1974 greatest hits my best bud had. All of these albums are first listens believe it or not!

Pretties for You: You know I'm a fan of psychedelic rock, so yeah, don't care about the general consensus, I DIG THIS! "Living" and "Fields of Regret" are so dope, and all these tripped out fuzzbox solos and weird Zappa-isms tossed in. Vincent may not have developed the "sneer" yet, but he had the acid-rock voice down with those harmonies, man. A righteous freakout with some groovy song titles.

Easy Action: Not as fun overall, but it gets way out there with "Lay Down and Die, Goodbye", which is total experimental madness. "Shoe Salesman" was a really cool song. This is probably one I'll have to check out again because outside of those two exceptions and that refrigerator tune's lyrics, I honestly don't remember much. The guitars were getting a bit louder though.

Love it to Death: Now we have the sneer, the Alice as villain role, and damn is this album awesome. As of now, it's my fav, bringing total sleaziness to their sound and rockin' loud guitars. Glammy, mad and rad, I can't believe I don't own this yet. How many rockers must this thing have inspired? How many scumbag singers did this voice predate? I can't even choose a favorite song, but "Black Juju" is so nuts.

Killer: I knew about half of these tunes. The nasty rock gets more theatrical and loony at times, with stuff like "Dead Babies" giving moms that "worried look" face back in the day. Arguably one of his best to start out with due to it's popularity, but it actually didn't exceed expectations for me. Good stuff for sure, and the title track is a total winner. Love the ending!

School's Out: Yeah, we all know the title track, but screw that, "Blue Turk" is this jazz-rock flamboyant supreme piece of platter damnit! The man sings so slick and cool during that sly thing. So he's not technically adroit, versatility goes a long way for me. "My Stars" is another one that surprised me with its gloriousness. Not everything is great, but a lot of it is, not just the opener (which I'm a bit too familiar with anyway).

Billion Dollar Babies: This is kind of the mother-lode. Great rock tunes mixed in with some creepy numbers that borderline on "evil" territory at times. Lots of embellishments adds to the theatrics that bring the show to life. Nice to hear the original "Sick Things" and I Love the Dead" instead of the abbreviated live versions I grew up with. Gotta give a nod to "Unfinished Sweet"...real tricky instrumental break there, that's musicianship!

Muscle of Love: Remember the album cardboard package? As a kid I always wondered if there was some horrible thing inside...a "muscle of love". I knew squat about innuendo, so my imagination concerning that image was probably weirder than the intentions of the band. Not great, but "Hard Hearted Alice" is outstanding, a new favorite! Always liked the title track too.

Welcome to my Nightmare: Different band, and more showman-like. That's fine, cause "The Black Widow" totally ROCKS! Great guitar riffs abound. Still, those lyrics, isn't a black widow supposed to be female? What's the deal man? That "Years Ago" number is creepy cool too, writhing with atmosphere that goes beyond campy into genuinely unnerving in a way. Nice work.

Alice Cooper Goes to Hell: Hell must be a disco, because oh yeah, he goes there. I can't say "You Gotta Dance" is bad though, guess I'm feelin' that glitter-ball groove as I get older. I'm kind of freakin' out thinking about gray hairs doing John Travolta moves at 45 year high school reunions. Damn. I don't mind the ballad stuff like "I Never Cry" either, music to croon at the piano in the after-hours golf club party.

Feeling old now...need to stop. Maybe in a few weeks I'll check out his 80's hair stuff.
Dude. Amazed you are so new to this stuff. Some quick comments:

Thanks for the condolences about my kitty. She was totally family, and I’m really feeling the void she left. Can’t believe yours is 21! Must have had a happy life to live so long.

Re: Pretties for You. You HAVE to check out the live version of the album performed in NYC recently by Nick Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve) and a great band of likeminded fanboys. I bought it on DVD when Nick released it and it’s probably sold out but lots of it is on Youtube. Fields of Regret: https://youtu.be/jZsrDkvLCK8

Re: Killer. The ending scared the absolute sh*t out of me both times I’ve heard it. Been too chicken to listen again. I always shut it off. I’m such a wuss.

I would encourage you to continue onward - with special attention paid to “Lace & Whiskey”, “DaDa”, and (much later) “The Eyes of Alice Cooper”.
As a brutal metal fan, you should also dig “Brutal Planet”.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 25 2019 at 20:13
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 07:13
^ Man, you OD'd on AC on that binge! Big smile

Was a big time Cooper fan in the 70s as a young teen.  Love it to Death through Goes to Hell era mostly.  Loved them all, each in its own way.  Have not listened to much after that.  I do need to go back to the first two albums and give them listens again.

Can't underestimate the contributions of Bruce, Buxton and Dunaway during the heyday.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 10:53
This week:
Carlos Paredes - Movimento Perpétuo
Steve Hillage - Green
Susanne Sundfør - Susanne Sundfør
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 15:03
Deep Purple | Gemini Suite
The Feelies | Crazy Rhythms
The Feelies | The Good Earth
The Feelies | Only Life
Golden Earring | On the Double
The Fall | Re-Mit
Badfinger | No Dice
Ariel Pink | Early Live Performances (disc 2)
Djam Karet | Suspension and Displacement
Jethro Tull | A Passion Play
R. Stevie Moore & Jason Falkner | Make it Be

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 15:51
^
No Dice is good stuff. I like the following several albums even more, up through Wish You Were Here. Great band. Saw the surviving half of them many times in the 80s/90s and they still rocked. Snuck back and partied with them once.

They should have been bigger but they came a bit late. I think their material was better suited to the mid-late 60s than the 70s, but it was great material.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:26
Ah-ha! It is the weekend. Here we go.

Killing Joke— Brighter than a 1000 suns. ( slick as oil. Great Chris Kimsey production. Beautiful catchy songs on this one. )
Ah-Ha— Hunting high and Low ( one of the best pop albums of 1985. )
The Art Of Noise— Art Works “12inch” (Best of comp. ) Got inspired after watching the Breakfast club movie to give this a go cause John Hughes was a big art of noise fan. I can see why.
Fear Factory— Soul of a new machine ( what a debut album. Such a statement of innovation.
Fates Warning— live over Europe ( now this is a live album! Was so in the mood for FW. This did it for me.
Oceans of slumber— Banished Heart ( best prog Metal album of 2018? Yeah. I think so. )
Simple Minds— New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) Boxset Disc 5 Extended mixes ) glad you like this album Steve! Now you must treat yourself to the boxset. Join me.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 07:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Re: Pretties for You. You HAVE to check out the live version of the album performed in NYC recently by Nick Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve) and a great band of likeminded fanboys. I bought it on DVD when Nick released it and it’s probably sold out but lots of it is on Youtube. Fields of Regret: https://youtu.be/jZsrDkvLCK8

Okay, that was cool! Pretties for You deserves more love like that (guy was channeling that vibe so well).

^I always liked Brighter than 1000 Suns, like British new wave MTV stuff but with added cojones on the guitars (the main riff on "Chessboards" is such a gas!). 
I first bought and heard Soul of a New Machine back in 1993; my buds & I never heard anything like it at the time (we were also...um...doing the hallucinogenics at the time...adding to the wildness). "Lifeblind" had that ridiculous time signature that really blew our minds.

Jim...if nothing else concerning Alice Cooper, Love it to Death is a must listen; like Aerosmith before they existed but with a proto-punk, glammy 70's coolness factor. Way ahead of its time, and as AEProgman mentioned, great musical chops.

Listened to:
Fank Zappa - Apostrophe ('): Cosmik Debris, I swear, I'm always "feelin' it" when that one plays, like it's got some hidden real 'soul' going on. I see the light while I'm groovin' to this looniness. Always game for songs about pancakes too. And stinky feet for that matter. 

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti: "Flakes" has that Bob Dylan section that almost sent my car off the road due to laughter...I think it's the crap harmonica that seals the deal. "Baby Snakes" is the one I like singing along to the most...keeps my falsetto in gear.

Aldous Harding - Designer: Time to chill, and this new release is perfect for that. Check out her lyrics, like indie-folk girl prose sent through the "Jon Anderson Grinder". No typical reverb overkill to mask them either; her voice is clean, stellar (she can go Nico-low to Kate B-high), and audible. I dig it.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - April 27 2019 at 09:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 08:58
Love it to death....sounds good, I'll start there!  Thanks!

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 13:29
^ absolutely Steve! 1991-1992 was an incredible time for music. The budding of new and creative genres were on the loose! Fear Factory are huge innovators of the rough and melodic vocals bound together. FF will go down in history as one of my most beloved bands. The bad thing I can say is that they’ve never released a credible live album on disc. :( You also couldn’t be more right about Brighter than 1000 suns. MTV with an edge! The accessibility of ‘Adorations and Sanity’ are fantastic and videos were cool too!

Saturday. Round 2.

Fates Warning— Live over Europe. ( had to have another go at this one. It truly is an awesome listen. FW are a true live act and my god Ray Alder can sing. He hasn’t lost any edge. His voice is not auto tuned on this record either. He really has it. )

Killing Joke— S/T. ( Dave grohl drums. Strictly badass. The whole record is cutting edge. )

Dead Can Dance— Dionysus ( short but powerful. Love it .)

APP— Pyramid (getting geared up for AP’ s ‘The Secret’ which arrives Monday for me. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 19:42
Stelvio Cipriani - Antla
Stelvio Cipriani - Femina Ridens
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Zombies - Begin Here

Dave, right on the mark. Great "black coffee" rock album. Thumbs Up

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 20:53
Animal Collective | Campfire Songs
Boris | Attention Please
Fairport Convention | s/t
Jean-Michel Jarre | Oxygene

Edited by HolyMoly - April 27 2019 at 23:23

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 15:02
Well, my wife had a little more wine than usual with dinner yesterday as she is depressed because of her knee, small hairline fracture and the use of a cane has caused her rotator cuff in the shoulder to have problems.  Anyway, she does not care for music much at all except when she has had a few too many (we are night and day).  So I let her vent with her 10 to 15 songs she has downloaded on her iPad.  70s to 80s disco hits, Dire Strait hits, David Bowie hits (not bad), John Lennon hits (not bad either), and ZZ Top hits (ok with some of those).  Over and over while I cooked dinner for her and served up on the deck.

After that and today:
Colin Masson - Isle of Eight:  Very symphonic, mostly instrumental with blends of Mediterranean, Spanish, and  renaissance thrown in.
Sun Ra - Secrets of the Sun:  Other worldly jazz.
Astra - The Dark Chord:  Good stoner rock style to me with symphonic tendencies thrown in.
Christopher Lee - The Metal Knight:  Yes, that Christopher Lee.  That God like voice to classical metal!  Such a blast with I Don Quixote, The Impossible Dream, Toreador March, and My Way (ala Frank Sinartra).  I smiled all the way through while pulling weeds in the flower garden.  LOL

Oh, and I finally found a song that I have been searching for (not diligently mind you) since I saw them in concert in the 70s on the Taking It to The Streets tour.  The Doobie Brothers had a part of a song that was border line, if not prog like.  I thought it was only something they did live and did not think I would hear it again.  I finally heard it on my Doobie Brothers - Stampede album.  It is the end of the song "I Cheat the Hangman".  I was absorbed with it when I saw and heard it at the show back then, but never found it until now.  Beautiful sigh of relief ..........

Edited by AEProgman - April 28 2019 at 15:10
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 20:23
^^ I’ve been debating whether to get that Stampede album. The Captain & Me is a winner. I’ll be sure to pick that one up!

Todayish:

Last night I saw a great, intimate blues show from a total pro, Bob Margolin, a veteran of Muddy Waters’ band (appearing in The Last Waltz). My neighborhood friend’s been asking me for months to check out live blues at this cool venue, and I’m glad I finally did.

Sloan | 12 — Canadian power pop band, around since the early 90s. Can’t say enough good things about this band. Each of the 4 members writes and sings lead - in this case, they all did 3 songs apiece and most of them are fantastic. One of their strongest, most consistent albums, and quite far into their career.

David Bowie | Heathen — first time all the way thru this one, and it’s definitely in the running for best album post-1983, so far anyway.

Graham Central Station| s/t — Larry Graham of Sly & the Family Stone. A classy, sophisticated soul/funk album.

Guapo | History of the Visitation — watch out for that tree!

Little Feat | Waiting for Columbus — superlative live album. Expanded 2 disc version

Plan 9 | Sea Hunt — 80s psych garage band I liked in college. Still sounds groovy today

Jade Warrior | Last Autumn’s Dream — Unique band. I think I’ll be binging on this band this week.

The Doors | The Soft Parade — in spots it sounds like they’re channeling Tom Jones, which isn’t a bad thing. Strange album, which is good news with The Doors. Shaman’s Blues and Wild Child seem to be the only tunes that sound like them. The title track could pass for a Mothers of Invention tune.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 28 2019 at 20:26

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 05:48
^ I don't get the hate for Soft Parade, it's a personal favourite of mine.

Last few days:
Black Bombaim - "the new one" (As I suspected, this is a speakers album. A modern take on the exploratory side of Can and Ash Ra Tempel.)
Miss Lava - Sonic Debris
Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure (Always a good pick when I don't know what to spin.)
Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel
Germinale - ...e Il Suo Respiro... (Nice 90's retro RPI)
Susanne Sundfør - The Silicone Veil
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 20:26
Frank zappa | 200 Motels — yes, AGAIN...

Frank Zappa | Civilization Phaze III — sublime

Frank Zappa | Freak Out — Suzy??

The Kinks | Are the Village Green Preservation Society — got the 3 disc deluxe version

Phish | Vegas 1996 (4 CD + DVD) — this was close to Phish’s peak in my experience. I was so into them at the time, really fun to revisit them with a show I’m not familiar with. Really high energy and creative deviances from the source material.

Thurston Moore & Loren Connors | The Only Way is Straight Through. RSD release from a couple of years ago. Improvisational guitar noisescapes from a couple of pros. Very nice.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 30 2019 at 20:38

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 20:30
Sorry to hear about the wife, Jim. That sucks!

Loving the Alice so far - good suggestion for a review.

Alice Cooper - Killers
Alice Cooper - Pretties For You
Julie London - The End of the World

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 19:42
Blood Sweat & Tears | Child is Father to the Man — first album, and only one with Al Kooper. Arguably the birth of jazz-rock, and certainly the primary inspiration for Chicago

Cromagnon | Orgasm — I have David-bamsen to thank for this one. Come out, wherever you are!

Jandek | Raining Down Diamonds — the most despondent, depressed album from the most depressing artist. Yep, I was in a funk today.

Wolf Eyes | Human Animal — one of their better efforts. doesn’t seem to do them justice to call them a “noise band”, there’s a method to the chaos

Xeerox | 1979-1981 Recuerdo Espectral de un Viejo Decorado Electrico — obscure thing I found on a music blog years ago. Faint, formless, and lo-fi. Again, I was in a mood.

Al Kooper | New York City (You’re a Woman) — Koop pulled me out of my misery. He’s the man. This s is his 4th solo album, circa 1971.

Al Kooper | You Never Know Who Your Friends Are — Al continues to elevate my mood. This is his 2nd, from 1969. He can do it all when it comes to bluesy/jazzy/R&B’y pop music too cool for the radio.

Ty Segall | Sleeper — eh, not one of my favorites from him. Probably why I don’t play it a lot. He’s a noisy garage rock renaissance man, don’t really need confessional acoustic albums from him.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 06:38
Automatism - Automatism
Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
Hostsonaten - Mirrorgames (It's difficult to appreciate these early albums when I know what Fabio Zuffanti did afterwards. )
Né Ladeiras - Alhur
Pan - Pan
Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Golden Earring - Eight Miles High (First listen to this band. Very cool music. )
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 19:51
Mink Deville - Cabretta
Andy Williams - Wonderful World
Ferrante and Teicher - Concert for Lovers

That Mink album is pretty cool late 70s "first spin" for me. A little bit Lou Reed, a little Keith Richard, with just a touch of new wave cool.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 20:48
^^ Ooh Eight Miles High, that’s a great Golden Earring album. Although I would say that the sidelong Byrds cover is the least attractive track — see the 1977 live album for the definitive version of that track. It easily rivals the best versions out there!

Today, Yoko spoke to me a lot. Along with Trey, Mike, Page and Fishman. An odd day.

John Lennon & Yoko Ono | Unfinished Music Vol 1: Two Virgins
John Lennon & Yoko Ono | Unfinished Music Vol 2: Life With the Lions
Phish | Live 7/15/2003
Phish | The Road to Vegas (bonus CD with the Vegas 96 box)
Yoko Ono | Fly

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 523>