Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:20
St. Vincent - s/t
The Dolly Rocker Movement - "A Purple Journey Into the Mod Machine"
maudlin of the Well - "Part the Second"
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:51
Gentle Giant - Three Friends - My least favourite of the early Gentle Giant albums, but still has some strong moments; see my review

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Ludlow Garage 4/4/70 - Love this show! Possibly my favourite ABB live set outside of the Fillmore East concerts. The Dreams opening is sublime and I can see what Micky means when he says this is the best Statesboro Blues they ever did; there's no doubt about it. Aside from that, I'm in love with all the deeper cuts you can't find on any of their other archival recordings, like Dimples and Outskirts of Town. Only thing I'm not too fond on is the rendition of Mountain Jam; for 44 minutes I always get disappointed that it just ends in a 12-bar and not the slowed down ballad ending they put on Eat A Peach. Still a great show altogether, and much better sound than many of the other early sets they've put out.

Gryphon - Raindance - While Red Queen To Gryphon Three is arguably Gryphon's finest work, this one, with its silliness and inconsistencies, has to be my favourite. I've said it before and I'll say it again, their cover of Mother Nature's Son is one of the most joyful, bucolic pieces of music put to record. It's impossible not to be happy listening to it! And the epic Ein Klein Heldenleben has to be some of the best Yes-inspired music I've heard outside of Yes themselves. Love the end when they get the circus music playing; the perfect way to end such a ridiculous album. 

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant - FEEL THE GIANT!!! I wrote up a review praising this one to no end and those opinions still stand. The best of Deep Purple meets the best of Genesis, with all sorts of goodies thrown in the mix - what's not to love? I found myself slaying the imaginary six string when the uptempo ending solo of Why Not? came on. Honestly, this whole album has to be the finest fusion of prog rock with the blues that I've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant through and through. 

Marshall Tucker Band - Searchin' For A Rainbow - The New Life/Where We All Belong/Searchin' trilogy was probably the holy trinity of MTB releases if you ask me, though everything from their debut through to Running Like The Wind is stellar. This album is pure Americana and the band is in fine form throughout. Fire On The Mountain and the title track are both Southern Rock essentials. And don't even get me started on how beautiful Eubanks' sax lines are in Virginia. The only real dud would be Keeps Me From All Wrong, but they more than make up for that with the groovy jazz rock jamming on Bound & Determined. And the live rendition of Can't You See to finish it all off is just sublime. Love it!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 23:07
^I never really warmed to 3 Friends either, compared to the others...

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 00:02
Aquaserge - Tout Arrive
Heaven And Hell (Black Sabbath) - The Devil You Know
Vak - Aedividea
Gong - Rejoyce! I'm Dead (First listen to this, sounds really great!)
Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors
I Giganti - Terra In Bocca
Goblin - Back To The Goblin

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 00:26
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Yeah, I definitely agree with you about Moonmadness. I used to consider that one and Mirage as equals but Mirage has much better staying power whereas Moonmadness loses its magic after a while. I can see why some might consider it better, though; while Mirage is a consistent album start to finish I've always found Moonmadness to have more peaks and valleys, ups and downs, and I guess that the highlights of Moonmadness stand out stronger to some people than the ones on Mirage do.

Exactly how I feel! Plus, Mirage has a strong Canterbury flavor, which always makes things taste better. Smile

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant - FEEL THE GIANT!!! I wrote up a review praising this one to no end and those opinions still stand. The best of Deep Purple meets the best of Genesis, with all sorts of goodies thrown in the mix - what's not to love? I found myself slaying the imaginary six string when the uptempo ending solo of Why Not? came on. Honestly, this whole album has to be the finest fusion of prog rock with the blues that I've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant through and through. 

Yeah! I remember when I first discovered prog (this being one of my first albums), I have learnt the ending solo of "Why Not?" note by note. It just seemed to be such a fresh take on blues for me then. Indeed, it's an amazing album! Also, it has an extremely strong sentimental value for me, it's inexplicable really.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 02 2016 at 00:31
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 01:08
Saturday...

Mississippi Bones - 2600 A.D. And Other Astonishing Tales  (Ada, Ohio  2016)   Hard Rock / Blues Rock / Stoner Rock 
Sahara Surfers - Sonar Pilot  (Innsbruck, Austria  2011)   Desert / Psych / Fuzz with female vocals
The Sonic Dawn - Perception  (Copenhagen, Denmark  2015)   70s style psychedelic trio with guest organist 
Los Asteroide - Trotamundos  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  10-1-16)   Instrumental psychedelic space jam trio live in studio
Nap - Villa   (Oldenburg, Germany  2016)   Mostly instrumental doom, stoner trio
Bear The Mammoth - Yamadori   (Melbourne, Australia  2014)   Instrumental Post Rock 

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 08:56
King Crimson - The Night Watch
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
PFM - Per un Amico
Soft Machine - Seven
Invisible - Invisible
Invisible - El jardín de los presentes
Henry Cow - Legend
National Health - Of Queues and Cures
John Zorn - The Circle Maker
Magma - 1001° Centigrades
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 13:31
Vibrant day!

John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music It's a great album. It just seems to click on this session. Pharoah Sanders' piccolo adds a gentle element of mystic lyricism in between 'Trane's loud (too loud in the mix IMHO) sax chops. Although the "cosmic" quality is very subtle, it's a great album.

Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Biomechanoid I really liked Vandroogenbroeck's work in Brainticket, even if I'm not a fan of their music and heard some interesting opinions regarding his solo works. The H. R. Giger art-work goes perfectly with the music. At first, it seemed a little dull with its rough, free-form-electronic style, but as I gradually dug deeper in thought, I started enjoying this immensly.

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts One of my absolute favorites of prog. I had a real need to listen to it today morning. I was just finnishing Cat's Cradle, one of my new favorite books, and it pairs perfectly with this album. Swoosh, I love this music.

The Keith Tippett Group - You Are Here... I Am There... Another one that I love. The band is in top form here. Tippett's compositions are brilliant. He might take one passage and elaborate it a few pieces later in between contrasted improvisational parts. Excellent!

Terry Riley - In C (performed by The London Contemporary Orchestra) This magnificent piece gets worthy treatment from these superb musicians. The piece is hypnotic throughout with not a single boring moment, it creates a perfect sonic enviroment for contemplation.

Fire! - She Sleeps, She Sleeps Fire! is a band I have only recently discovered and am glad I did! Their music is totally up my alley and while many modern free-improvising groups have lost the sense of what it is for and what the point of such music is, these guys' music goes beyond unplanned noodlings. Very good!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 14:36
Yesterday:
The Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain
The Strawbs - From The Witchwood
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Yes - The Yes Album
Head On The Door - The Cure
Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharaos

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 15:29
Sunday sonic joys.

Pallas-- Beat The Drum.
Slipknot-- 9.0 live
Symphony x-- Live: On the edge of forever
Duran Duran-- Rio
Gazpacho- Demon
Slipknot-- Subliminal Verses ( Slipknot really are incredible. I have liked them since their beginning, which I remember very well, but now in my head I feel they are still one of the major king sh*ts with in Metal music. Happy they've really made it big. I feel it's well deserved. A pleasure to watch their evolution. I was only 20 when their first album came out and now in my middle 30's seeing this band become what they have is just amazing.
Slipknot represent my generation very well for metal music.
Enjoy maggotzz!!! Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 15:38
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Yesterday:
Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharaos
I really love that album! even more than Hosianna Mantra.
Until now, thats what i've listen today:
Musique Noise - Dans Le Temps Qui S'etire...(Really good album, representing the Zeuhl scene this year!, it's really easier to get than other Zeuhl records)
Glass Hammer - Valkyrie(Very very good album, the first and third tracks are my favorite right now, the Genesis pastoral prog is really present in this one.)
Shamblemaths - Shamblemaths(The winner of this year right now for me, it just blends every scene in progressive rock together, and masterfully!)
Anima Mundi - I Me Myself(Listening right now for the sec. time, trying to adquire taste in this one, i feel that thi album is very good, but it just doesn't have clicked yet, but i'm trying!)
Well, that is until now.

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 18:39
First off, Moonmadness is much better than Mirage. Any claims to the contrary are pure fiction. Thank you. 
Anyway...

Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe
AMM - AMMMusic 1966
Volcano! - Beautiful Seizure
Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 18:56
Moody Blues - Threshold
Moody Blues - Every good boy
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti disc 2
Roz Vitalis - Patience of Hope

Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 22:34
St. Vincent - "Strange Mercy"
St. Vincent - "Actor"
Ariel Pink - "Pom Pom"
J Dilla - "Donuts"
Death Grips - "The Money Store"
Death Grips - "Bottomless Pit"
Danny Brown - "Atrocity Exhibition"
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 23:48
Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards - Doesn't have quite the staying power as Look At Yourself or Salisbury but still contains some well-done songs. The Wizard may just be one of my favourite under 3-minute songs and the slide guitar on Paradise/The Spell might just be Mick Box's greatest gift to this world. 

Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent - The mid 70's was easily the peak for The Nuge. First Tooth, Fang & Claw with the Amboy Dukes and this one right after? Awesome. Nearly every song on here is a hard rock classic. If there was one guy who knew how to pound out those pentatonic licks in A and keep the energy up, he was it. And Rob Grange's bass playing on Stranglehold and Snakeskin Cowboys is fantastic. 

Judas Priest - British Steel - I spent 6+ hours today doing physics problems. You really think I'm going to put on anything too intellectual after that? 

Jeff Beck - Who Else? - The guitar/techno fusions on this are quite cool, but I feel like Joe Satriani's work on Engines of Creation the following year would really mark the pinnacle of that style. In fact, I think my favourite tracks on here are the least techno-inspired ones: Brush With The Blues, Blast From The East and Declan
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 00:03
Sunday...

Bone Man - Bone Man II   (Kiel, Germany  2013)   Fuzz / Stoner / Grunge 
The Heavy Crawls - The Heavy Crawls  (Kiev, Ukraine  2016)   Garage, psych, stoner trio. One guy (vocals, guitar) two girls (bass, keys, drums)
Kingsnake - Resonance  (Philadelphia, PA  2016)   Hard Rock / Stoner Rock 
Buffalo Fuzz - Buffalo Fuzz  (Minneapolis, MN  2016)   Heavy blues rock, stoner, fuzz duo

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 03:10
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Fire! - She Sleeps, She Sleeps Fire! is a band I have only recently discovered and am glad I did! Their music is totally up my alley and while many modern free-improvising groups have lost the sense of what it is for and what the point of such music is, these guys' music goes beyond unplanned noodlings. Very good!
I'll have to give this one another listen. Keep discovering their albums, including the Fire! Orchestra ones, it's worth it Wink

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

First off, Moonmadness is much better than Mirage. Any claims to the contrary are pure fiction. Thank you. 
I love fiction! Big smile

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

The Heavy Crawls - The Heavy Crawls  (Kiev, Ukraine  2016)   Garage, psych, stoner trio. One guy (vocals, guitar) two girls (bass, keys, drums)
For once it's not the girl who sings Tongue

Řresund Space Collective - Live at Reverence Festival (Pretty strange to hear a concert I went to, especially when I can hear myself shouting LOL)
Mad Fellaz - s/t (Quite overwhelming at first listen but it seemed really good. These fellaz are mad indeed Big smile)
Handwrist - Metropolis
Michael Brückner - Naura
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 03:27
MESHUGGAH - Alive
TRETTIOARIGA KRIGET - Efter Efter
KEBNEKAJSE - Idioten
STEVE HACKETT - Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth
FAR EAST FAMILY BAND - Parallel World
TIBET - s/t
........and next up : GORGUTS - Pleiades' Dust
TIRILL - Um Himinjodur
PENDRAGON - Not Of This World

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 03 2016 at 05:52
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 11:15
Checking in a bit earlier today, but I doubt I will listen to anything else today. One of the first rainy autumn days here in Poland. Absolutely yuck. Thankfully, I don't have to go out. Big smile

Latte e Miele - Papillon It's not bad, it's pretty decent actually. The compositions are above average, there are also some nice sounds to be heard, especially the very Tarkus-y Hammond B3/C3 tones. The Papillon suite is the best of the album, last tracks on side two seem to go on a bit too long, making the album come across as a tad boring in the end. It's a worthwhile effort, though.

Isotope - Illusion Isotope has been on my must-listen list for a longer while now and I was reminded and encouraged by José (DeadSouls) to check out this album. It's great. The guitar is particularly great and I really like its interraction with Fender Rhodes very much. The pieces are very interesting, never boring. I just wish Hugh Hopper's fuzz-bass was more pronounced.

Alain Goraguer - La Plančte Sauvage Another great recommendation of José's. This is not prog, but it shares a few common elements. I find that what I like about this album, I also (among other things) like about Osanna's Palepoli. Very atmospheric, laidback music. Nice!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 03 2016 at 11:19
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 13:33
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Song Within a Song + Air Born > Lady Fantasy
Another Night > Freefall
Lunar Sea > Nimrodel (stronger highs in Nimrodel, LS is more consistent)
Chord Change < Earthrise (really close one here)
Spirit of the Water + Aristillus = Supertwister

CHECKMATE (unless you happen to disagree, which you do)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 523>