Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:39
^ yeah, I'm trying to get my list organized somehow...it's hard but I'm getting there.

So......is that you there in the picture 30 years ago? LOL
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:35
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Tymon – I thought of a lesser known album that you might like, hope you haven’t spun it before! German band Prof. Wolfff’s sole self-titled debut from 1972. I actually thought I’d reviewed it years ago but it slipped me by (might have to fix that!). I think it’s a ripper beginning to end, short and sweet too, although the opening track is the real killer. Probably not a massively important German disc, but definitely one of my top personal favourites. I wish more people went on about it!

Prof. Wolff - Prof. Wolff Michael, thanks a lot for that recommendation, they are a very interesting band. I don't know how about you, but I can feel a strong RPI-like atmosphere all around this one (at times I was reminded of Museo Rosenbach), but they have something that's just typical of heavier German rock groups, this very rough, gritty quality, I really don't know how to put it. In this respect, I don't think they are that far from Triumvirat or Sixty-Nine (great unknown band in a similar vein, by the way). Again, thank you for that recommendation, I really enjoyed the album. Smile Also, the cover art is very nice.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - January 11 2017 at 12:36
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 01:02
Wednesday...

Deaf Radio - Alarm   (Athens, Greece  2017)
Heavy rock, desert rock with a catchy sound 

Sulfur Giant - Towards The Light  (Viana Do Castelo, Portugal  2014)
Self released debut EP 

Cambrian Explosion - The Sun EP   (Portland, Oregon  2013)
Psychedelic stoner rock 

Bone Man - Shapeshifter  (Kiel, Germany  2015)
Heavy psych, grunge, stoner trio 

The Egocentrics - Love Fear Choices And Astronauts  (Timisoara, Romania  2010)
Instrumental, psychedelic space, jam trio 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 03:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny thing about that MT album is that everyone seems to be describing it differently. You mention GG while I feel there is an early Van Damme Generator vibe only it comes off rather psychedelic. I've heard other mention early Floyd too.
But yeah like I said, should be fun to switch those ears around
Yes, I thought the second track sounded like VdGG... without Hammill to ruin it LOL

Yesterday:
Ümit! - The Spirit of Ümit!
The Zodiac - Cosmic Sound (Inspired by the recent poll Tongue)
Prof. Wolfff - s/t
Exil - Fusionen
Edgar Froese - Stuntman (Saying goodbye to the helmet LOL)
PFM - L'Isola di Niente Approve
Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant (Tanti auguri Paolo Beer)
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant (Tanti auguri Paolo Beer)

Grazie Samuel Smile
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 08:20
Listening to the turtle right before turning in (must've been 4 in the morning as the whole left side of my body currently is killing me (Croaking sounds emanate from my pelvis right up through to my shoulder like those you hear on old wooden ships). However painful it feels I still very much believe that all of this is my body sloooooowly returning to it's normal self. The tower of Piza correcting itself internally.) and I suddenly thought of King Crimson's Lizard. Those sputtering jazzy touches to the horns as well as that ever so beautiful presence of the mellotron. Gotta love that sucker! Sounds like big shafts of light.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 11:23
^ What happened? Ouch

Will Z. - New Start (Recommended for fans of Popol Vuh Thumbs Up)
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Eloy - Power and the Passion
Pharoah Sanders - Elevation
Modest Midget - Crysis
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 00:24
Thursday...

Frozen Planet...1969 - Electric Smokehouse  (Sydney/Canberra, Australia  2017)
Instrumental, guitar driven, heavy space jam trio 

Astral Son - Mind's Eye  (Groningen, Holland  2016)
Space rock, krautrock, psychedelia, electronic 

Grotto - Smokonomicon   (Izegem, Belgium  2016)
Instrumental stoner rock trio with some psych and doom 

Red Void - Red Void   (Hobart, Tasmania  2017)
Instrumental hard rock, psych rock trio 

Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man II   (Australia  2014)
Instrumental heavy psychedelic jams 

Kosmodrom - Sonnenfracht   (Karlsruhe, Germany  2015)
Mostly instrumental, dual guitar, heavy rock, desert, stoner

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 03:31
Last couple days:

Sounds of Liberation - Sounds of Liberation
The United States of America - The United States of America
Whitehouse - Birthdeath Experience
Whitehouse - Total Sex
Whitehouse - Erector
Lard Free - Lard Free
Oxbow - Serenade in Red
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:42
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ What happened? Ouch

Will Z. - New Start (Recommended for fans of Popol Vuh Thumbs Up)
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Eloy - Power and the Passion
Pharoah Sanders - Elevation
Modest Midget - Crysis

The same thing that's been bugging me since last February Pinched nerves/locked hip/take your pick. I think it all started after a wild night out on the town + going down a rail on my bum only missing the landing completely + overexagerating a model's walk fecking it up completely and thereby hurting something in my left side. There are probably more incidents but I forget. All amounts to a body that needs fixing. It is slowly on it's way though, my patience just isn't what it used to be. Stop the madness please!!!

Oh and I see you've spun a few of those jazz recs. How's it going buddy?

Me yesterday:
Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue
Gösta Berlings Saga - Sersophane
Wolf People - Ruins
The Moulettes - Preternatural (don't know what I was thinking on first spin because this album is outstanding)
The Winstons - s/t
Anna Högberg - Anna Högberg Attack
Guillaume Perret - Free
Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden - Structure et Force
Miles Davis - Big Fun
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 11:13
Mike Westbrook Orchestra - Metropolis
Roger Waters & Ron Geesin - Music from The Body
Boards of Canada - Boc Maxima
Krzysztof Penderecki - Rękopis Znaleziony W Saragossie (The Manuscript Found in Saragossa)
Sand - Golem
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 02:24
Friday...

Domadora - Tibetan Monk   (Paris, France  2013)
Heavy psychedelic stoner rock trio with minimal vocals and hot guitar riffs 

Egon Swharz - In The Mouth Of Madness  (San Benedetto Del Tronto, Italy  2017)
Heavy down-tuned instrumental trio 

Elevators To The Grateful Sky - Cloud Eye  (Palermo, Italy  2013)
Hard rock, stoner and a little doom 

The Rising Sun Experience - Beyond The Oblivious Abyss  (Lisbon, Portugal  2014)
Heavy rock, progressive, psych with good keys and guitars 

Gypsy Sun Revival - Gypsy Sun Revival  (Fort Worth, Texas  2016)
Heavy psych, stoner, space, jam trio 

Hijo De La Tormenta - Hijo De La Tormenta  (Cordoba, Argentina  2014)
Goes from heavy fuzz bass doom to mellow spacey psychedelia

Edited by TeleStrat - January 16 2017 at 11:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 03:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The same thing that's been bugging me since last February Pinched nerves/locked hip/take your pick. I think it all started after a wild night out on the town + going down a rail on my bum only missing the landing completely + overexagerating a model's walk fecking it up completely and thereby hurting something in my left side. There are probably more incidents but I forget. All amounts to a body that needs fixing. It is slowly on it's way though, my patience just isn't what it used to be. Stop the madness please!!!

Oh and I see you've spun a few of those jazz recs. How's it going buddy?
It's still going on? I'm sorry to hear that Disapprove

Quite a diverse bunch, all great so far Thumbs Up

Yesterday:
Yellow Magic Orchestra - s/t
Lou Donaldson - The Natural Soul
Steve Roach - The Delicate Beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 10:13
Deuter - D
Aube - Cardiac Strain
DNA - DNA on DNA
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 12:05
Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia Simply one of my favorite records of all time. The atmosphere is out of this universe, instrumental interplay is incomparable, everything is in its place. The whole album is like a small world of its own, occupying an independent spot in the musical world. Excellent music.

Weather Report - Sweetnighter A decent follow-up to the first two masterpieces. I am fond of the introduction of a synth, which sounds great together with the horns. As always, this Weather Report album features fabulous compositions and unearthly instrumentalism.

Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - Journey I'm not crazy about this one at the moment, it probably needs a few more listens, but I can already appreciate the highly distinctive sound of this album (which probably creates the need for getting to know this album better). Phenomenal use of drum machines. It's just a tiny bit cheesy and I mean 70's-type cheesy, which, fortunately, is digestible.

Various Artists - The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds A nice collection of rather "silly" spacey psychedelic rock tunes. Overall, a pretty enjoyable album with plenty of spoken word poems, early Moog experimentation, and the unique feel of forward-thinking psychedelia of the 60's.

Pharoah Sanders - Karma The build-up on the epic, 32-minute "The Creator Has a Master Plan", that goes from pleasant festive groove to free-form mayhem, is really powerful in a very spiritual way. "Colors" is a great aftermath to the trip of the first track. Oh, and also, might Leon Thomas' mad vocals have inspired Demetrio Stratos' yodeling?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 01:28
Saturday...

Lamagaia - Lamagaius  (Gothenburg, Germany  2015)
Mostly instrumental psych space jam one track album (28:21)

Sun Mammuth - Cosmo  (Lousada, Portugal  2015)
Instrumental, heavy psych, doom trio 

Monomyth - Exo   (The Hague, Netherlands  2016)
Instrumental space rock, krautrock, drone 

Punto De Fuga - Puerta Al Lugar Mas Alla...  (Ann Arbor, Michigan  2017)
Instrumental hard rock, fusion, funk 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 02:22
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ yeah, I'm trying to get my list organized somehow...it's hard but I'm getting there.

So......is that you there in the picture 30 years ago? LOL

Nahh sadly not and you're not the first to ask either! (I guess I'll take that as a compliment)
I just saw this pic somewhere over the net and thought it was hilarious...in an entirely inappropriate way that is.

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 12:36
Assagai - Zimbabwe What great music. I really dig the musical trends that fused jazz, psychedelic rock, and traditional western African music that were in the air in the early 70's, known as Afrobeat. This album is really good, a bit more on the jazz-rock side. Notable work on trumpet by Mongezi Feza, whom I greatly admire. Jade Warrior are also doing fantastic as a backing band here. Great stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 18:36
Yesterday:  Weather Report - I Sing the Body Electric

Today:  Six Finger Satellite - The Pigeon is the Most Popular Bird
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 20:58
That's it, I've had enough with keeping up with the Joneses, 2016 prog-wise. My 2016 AOTY list is all finalized, so I'll consider myself as good as done with trudging through bandcamp to see what all the fuss is about. 'Til next January, at least. Wink

Now for a return to the classics! Big smile

Joe Satriani - Professor Satchifunkilas...
- Every few months or so, I'll put my iPod on shuffle by albums and spend the next several months listening through all the music I own. And this is the inaugural album to kick this playlist off! A shining example of 2000's era Satriani consistency. No real standout moments on this album, but it's enjoyable the whole way through. The eastern influences in tracks like Andalusia are pretty cool, though.

Dale Jacobs - Cobra - Another album best described as consistent... I'm not sure I'm liking this new shuffle playlist just yet.

Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South - This is a bit more like it. Although not the best Allman Brothers release, even if limited to just their studio output, there are still some gems on here that make it worthwhile putting on. That instrumental intro in Revival kicks butt.

Deep Purple - Machine Head - Now this is really more like it! Say what you like about the bulk of this album, because it's really all great early hard rock, but the real standout here is Highway. Freakin'. Star. God, this song is so perfect. Easily one of the top 20 songs ever recorded. No contest. Everything is just so brilliantly and perfectly over the top. The one note bass lines, Paice's frantic fills, Gillan's made-up-on-the-spot lyrics - classic. And let's not forget ol' Ritchie, who plays one of the most furious guitar solos, period. My favourite part's gotta be Jon Lord's organ solo, though. He just totally hams it up prog-style. The rest of the band is doing this lunk-headed two chord business and he's just going all out with his classical interpretations and exotic modes and whatever. Love it! 

Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw - YES! Two hard rock masterpieces in a row. Only this time it's the most raw, rugged, and primordial album ever put to record. Unrelenting performances from all involved; Ted is his usual madman self, but what I really love is Rob Grange's contributions on the bass. Severely underrated talent right there. And of course, this album also has another one of the top 20 songs ever recorded: Hiberation. God, how is it even possible to pack that much emotion and ferocity into two chords? Absolute hard rock perfection.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 523>