Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 523>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:30
Sam, from what I vaguely remember, `Red Queen' is usually considered Gryphon's `defining' release, with a lot of baroque and medieval influences worked in. I'm going to dig this out for tomorrow for a new listen.

I haven't listened to `Midnight Mushrumps' much at this point, but I think it was like an even more eclectic version of that Asgard album we've both been spinning a lot lately.

The debut contained more traditional folk pieces....it's a fine album, but the really interesting stuff for us Proggies comes after that one!

Hmmm, might have to give `Raindances' a fresh spin too!

Wow, hope you might be able to get something signed from them, do you have any of their LP's?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 15 2017 at 08:31
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 09:48
I listened to MM, it's quite similar to Red Queen, it reminded me of GG at times. I guess, like GG, it might take a few listens to get my head around it. Raindances is much less Folk, that's probably why it was easier for me to get into.

I don't have anything from them, I might order something before the festival. About JT, I'm thinking if I'll bring Aqualung: "I don't like this album, but could you sign it?" LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 17:53
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

About JT, I'm thinking if I'll bring Aqualung: "I don't like this album, but could you sign it?" LOL

Yeah, he (as in `Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson' ) is playing in Melbourne in April, but I really doubt I'd go. Tickets starts from $100, and for a band that I don't truly love, there's not a lot of incentive to go. Apart from that, I don't think the majority of the band playing with him have much to do with the original JT, so it's really a solo Anderson show in many ways...and sadly Anderson is the element of JT that I find the least interesting, ie vocally, lyrically, etc. I think if you respond to those things about JT, it's quite easy to like the band, but otherwise....

Mind you, I did recently listen to their Seventies `Bursting Out' live album, and it was superb, but I was probably really just digging all the playing going on around Anderson.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 18:10
Speaking of Tull, I listened to Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! today. Not bad, but I don't find it too memorable either. Salamander is probably my favorite track.

On the topic of Gryphon, Midnight Mushrumps is a sort of transition album between the 16th-18th century English folk of the debut and the prog excursions of Red Queen. It features bass guitar, which wasn't present on the first album, and more keyboards, but I like it less than the albums immediately preceding or following it. The band relies more on their own compositions, though The Plough-Boy's Dream is traditional and Ethelion quotes a Pierre Attaingnant composition (interestingly, this Pierre Attaingnant is used as a basis for Blackmore's Night's Play, Minstrel Play and a Tri Yann song whose title escapes me for the moment).

The side-long instrumental title suite took a while to grow on me, but now I highly enjoy it. Off the second side, Ethelion is my favorite (except for the crazy laughter in the beginning).
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 01:30
Wednesday...

Abrahma - Reflections In The Bowels Of A Bird  (Paris, France  2015)
Heavy rock, stoner, doom 

The Rising Sun Experience - Under The Same Sun  (Lisbon, Portugal  2009)
Progressive hard rock, psychedelic stoner rock 

Rotor - Rotor  (Berlin, Germany  2001)
Mostly instrumental, heavy stoner, fuzz rock trio

Psicomagia - Psicomagia  (San Diego, CA  2013)
Instrumental (some voice), jazz-rock/fusion, krautrock, zeuhl 

Serpent Throne - Brother Lucifer  (Philadelphia, PA 2013)
Instrumental stoner, doom, synchronized double lead guitars 

Ape Machine - This House Has Been Condemned  (Portland, Oregon  2010)
70s style guitar driven stoner rock 

The Worship Of Silence - In The Early Hours  (Oakland, CA  2016)
Melodic stoner doom 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 04:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Yeah, he (as in `Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson' ) is playing in Melbourne in April, but I really doubt I'd go. Tickets starts from $100, and for a band that I don't truly love, there's not a lot of incentive to go. Apart from that, I don't think the majority of the band playing with him have much to do with the original JT, so it's really a solo Anderson show in many ways...and sadly Anderson is the element of JT that I find the least interesting, ie vocally, lyrically, etc. I think if you respond to those things about JT, it's quite easy to like the band, but otherwise....

Mind you, I did recently listen to their Seventies `Bursting Out' live album, and it was superb, but I was probably really just digging all the playing going on around Anderson.
Isn't JT and IA the same thing? Tongue
I was going to say I saw Renaissance there, two years ago, with only Annie from the "original" formation, and the other musicians were also superb, but it's the same thing. If you can't stand Annie (like David), you won't like the band.
I saw they would play there before,I didn't know it was that expensive Shocked

I never heard that one, but I discovered "Songs From The Wood" a few weeks ago and it's easily the best I heard from them.

Gryphon - Raindances
Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps

A lovely evening Cool
Øresund Space Collective - Ode to a Black Hole
Can - Tago Mago
Eloy - Inside
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 07:02
Nice evening picks there Samuel.

I too had quite a wonderful day of listening:

Faust - IV
Hands - Caviar Bobsled
LA Düsseldorf - Düsseldorf
Psicomagia - s/t
Robert Wyatt - 68
Axis - s/t
David Axelrod - Song Of Innocence
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:15
Two albums featuring Fred Frith. Can't wait to see the maestro perform tomorrow in Warsaw. Big smile
Henry Cow - Unrest
Fred Frith - Cheap at Half the Price
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:40
Thursday...

Zed - Trouble In Eden   (San Jose, CA  2016)
Classic hard rock, stoner, metal 

Mammatus - Mammatus  (Corralitos, CA  2006)
Mostly instrumental, heavy psych, doom, fuzz 

Electric Magma - Snail The Wah  (Toronto, Canada  2005)
Instrumental stoner, sludge, fuzz trio 

Eye - Vision And Ageless Light  (Columbus, Ohio  2016)
Heavy and mellow, psychedelic prog, space rock, various keyboards 

MuN - Axis Mundi  (Wroclaw, Poland  2016)
Instrumental psychedelic stoner doom trio 

Kaleidobolt - Kaleidobolt  (Helsinki, Finland  2016)
Heavy rock, psych rock, stoner trio  

Holy Mount - The Drought  (Toronto, Canada  2016)
Heavy psych, stoner, fuzz, drone  

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:42
Last two days...
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen
Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn
Naked City - Heretic
Slint - Spiderland
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:51
Haven't been around too much lately, I'm studying my ass off...
So I found that the only band I can listen to while doing that are the Ozrics! I've been totally overdosing on my collection.

So yesterday...

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude
Ozric Tentacles - Arborescence
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
And with the exception of Aquaserge - Laisse ça être
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 00:35
Deep Purple - Book of Taliesyn
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 03:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nice evening picks there Samuel.

I too had quite a wonderful day of listening:
Thanks! Great selections as well, the ones I know at least. I keep thinking I should listen to more Faust Smile

A couple of classics that sounded nice with the unexpected warm weather. I seriously need these two in my collection.
Caravan - Int the Land of Gray and Pink
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 03:31
Well if you do then IV probably is the most accessible of their records. I love how melodic and quaint it is while still pertaining that ever so illusive Faust spirit. 

Nice to see that Caravan album receiving a spin! I know quite a few who think of it as a major step down from the If I Could Do It... album, but something tells me that all "big" albums receive some form of backlash. Personally I just love it to bits...just like If I Could...

Renaissance you can keep to yourselfTongue

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 04:28
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

So I found that the only band I can listen to while doing that are the Ozrics! I've been totally overdosing on my collection.
I always listened to OT while working... except when I saw them live, I didn't bring my computer LOL Good luck with your studies Smile

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well if you do then IV probably is the most accessible of their records. I love how melodic and quaint it is while still pertaining that ever so illusive Faust spirit. 

Nice to see that Caravan album receiving a spin! I know quite a few who think of it as a major step down from the If I Could Do It... album, but something tells me that all "big" albums receive some form of backlash. Personally I just love it to bits...just like If I Could...

Renaissance you can keep to yourselfTongue

I only heard the debut and IV. I remember the debut is waaaaayy more trippy Big smile

They are both great. I'd love to be more familiar with them, but I can only find "Better By Far" around here Tongue

I will Approve
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:05
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I'd love to be more familiar with them, but I can only find "Better By Far" around here Tongue

Ey!!! I will not hear a bad word about `Better by Far'!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:47
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

So yesterday...

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude
Ozric Tentacles - Arborescence
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
And with the exception of Aquaserge - Laisse ça être

Hi Sagi
Studies? Ooohh I deeply sympathise with you
So glad I'm through (although part of me wants to study art but that's for another discussion altogether).

Ozrics and studying though feels like a hazardous mixture to me. By the end of their albums my brain has usually melted into a small nob of butter. Can't for the life of me understand how one could concentrate on some school related subject whilst blasting Strangeitude
Heh I remember one time where a friend of mine and I were listening to Bubu's Anabelas whilst playing dominoes. Holy feaces that was intense!!! And incredibly difficult. The music was LOUD and trying to figure out even the easiest of math related tasks seemed comparable to reading astrophysics whilst bungeejumping in a phonebooth filled with mariachi musicians on acid.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:11
^ Yeah well my wife could also not understand how can I concentrate with this god awful music??
I guess I just needed something that could keep me awake...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:14

I can vividly imagine that scenario. Next time maybe try some Magma instead - see what she has to say about that.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:28
Hey Samuel!
About those Caravan albums; there are many MANY cds for sale over the internet - rather cheap to boot
Any progger worth his salt needs the debut, If I could..., Land Of Pink.., Girls Who Grow Lumps, Live and the much overlooked Waterloo Lily in his collection
Or maybe you're opting for LPs? Expensive endeavor methinks.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 523>