Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you identify politically?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 06:05
I really don't.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 06:55
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I do not advocate revolution, never have. You basically replace one bureaucracy with another. What I do advocate is real change. A political system which is honest. A political system which gives the populis real choice. A political system which is representative of the people, and not the establishment, corporate, political, or by birth. The present system is failing. It is also broken. We still have a system which is, in its fundamentals, based on the Roman model of over two centuries ago. Time for a change, methinks, and, as I said in the Brexit thread, I sense that that change will come. I pray it will be a peaceful one, and I pray that things will improve. I genuinely believe that they will, because humanity is capable of great things and, above all, surviving and adapting. Something a religious person and an atheist can absolutely agree on

Why not, though?  I don't mean a full blooded revolution with a violent overthrowing of government itself.  But I do believe a fundamental change in the politics of a country itself does not come without change.  

I was talking about not advocating violent insurrections, coups, military takeovers, and etc., not peaceful change, and, sorry, I thought that was pretty obvious from the comments which followed the first sentence.

Wasn't to me, which is why I asked.  Thanks for clearing up.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 04:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Frankly the only two sh*ts I couldn't give is whether anyone is offended that as a foreigner I have the temerity to have an opinion on American politics (or on the grammatical logic of common American idioms come to that - but hey-ho, thankfully it's not my job to teach Americans how to speak their adopted non-native language).

Dean, for the record, no one told you to but out, especially me. You bowed out on our discussion with the typically immature statement of "I'm out", of which I could do nothing but agree. I found your "scrap the system" stance to be unreasonable for America, and felt no further discussion between us was necessary.

Then you went off half cocked and came up with your own definition of "agreeing to disagree" which is a only a polite way to say that we've failed to come up with a consensus on the matter. I didn't see any point in responding back to you at that time, as I didn't want to engage with you over something so absurd.

You have the right to express your opinions on the matter that we we're discussing, the same as I have right to express that they are daft. I hope this clears up the turmoil you initiated by flippantly stating "I'm out." It seems that it's quite alright for you to act disrespectfully, but not receive the same in return.

Edited by SteveG - August 08 2016 at 14:59
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 10:29
Here is a video by Richard Wolff explaining class (by way of the housing market crash here in the US). I thought it was a good introductory video.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 23:52
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^well said Dean, poverty in politics, it is not the best America can do and Americans damn well know it.

Well, unfortunately we accept poverty in living, (helped by a poverty in economic thought!) so least we're consistent! 
But yeah, it's shameful what our political system has become. Doubly sad, it's clear there are basically 4/5 legitimate parties forming from our current 2. 
Wish we could just sit down and have a big talk, hammer all this sh*t out, set it up with new rules and let's get to it. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 21:01
http://i.imgur.com/Z7OW8rY.jpg
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 21:18
Paranoid_Empire View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 18:27
Politics is a fool's game. I'd rather be far removed from any political idiocy if at all possible. 
Unfortunately that won't happen. 
I could most possibly be viewed as a right wing extremist by the left and vice versa by the right. 
Aligning one's self with either left or right I view as stupid. 
They're polar opposites yet one in the same, much like the Antarctic and Arctic. 
Is wanting a large culling of humanity and maintaining a stable and healthy sized population political or just lost common sense?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 18:35
^ Neither, it's utopic, and utopia is really scary.

For the record I can't stand politics either, with a small 'p' or a big one.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 18:57
I could do with a touch of utopia. It's got to be better than the current dystopian mess we're living in.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 19:03
Yeah.  Paradise ain't what it's cracked up to be.  After having lived in a much more friendly, community-oriented, beautiful place than I am now, I think I'd rather keep a nice little apartment in Hell than a sprawling estate in Heaven.  But I guess that's just me.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 19:23
I could do without all the people, to be honest. It doesn't have to be paradise. It could be a barren wasteland with a few billion people less.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 20:11
A picture paints a thousand words- so here is two thousand words
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 17:34
I identify politically as hating you all

Time always wins.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 20:20
Originally posted by Paranoid_Empire Paranoid_Empire wrote:

Is wanting a large culling of humanity and maintaining a stable and healthy sized population political or just lost common sense?

You don't need to want it.  The robots are coming and given sufficient time, we may be looking at mass unemployment and, as a result, starvation.  After all, not every country can afford to keep handing out welfare to the unemployed and even those that can will find tougher as revenue drops.  Just hope you are not part of the automated culling you so fervently wish for.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 17:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yeah.  Paradise ain't what it's cracked up to be.  After having lived in a much more friendly, community-oriented, beautiful place than I am now, I think I'd rather keep a nice little apartment in Hell than a sprawling estate in Heaven.  But I guess that's just me.

there is a certain excitement to living in hell I'll give you that...... like coming home to the spawn of Satan after a hard day's work, finding it wearing a shear teddy and wondering if it is going to spout horns and fangs and you are going to have to dodge pots and pans for either getting home too early... or working too late... or if it is just happy to see you and you are about to get your brains screwed out before sucking out your soul as a price of admission.

Ahh hell....  never a dull moment. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 17:50
Life without an edge is no fun.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 17:59
amen brother David!  Thumbs Up  Life 24/7 on the edge was the sh*t. Though I have no complaints about life today. The dangers of the job is edge enough these days. You do tend to appreciate heaven more for having been through hell.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
thepurplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 19:33
Generally left-wing. I find a lot of modern radical-leftists online and in real life to be incredibly annoying and odious, but often the thoughts that lie behind the toxicity of the people involved are good thoughts, so I guess I lean pretty far left.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 21:11
Left of Hitler and Right of Stalin
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>