Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSad/Emotional Prog Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad/Emotional Prog Suggestions
    Posted: August 01 2016 at 02:25

I am really in need of some suggestions. Lately, I have been really enjoying emotional, sad sounding songs like Nights In White Satin, In The Court Of The Crimson King & Epitaph, and a lot of Kingston Wall. I find that a lot of progressive music just seems happy (I'm mostly referring to what I've heard from the 60s and 70s). I really like it, but very rarely do I feel like hearing uplifting happier music. I often want to hear something either extremely beautiful and sort of mysterious/sad (Ummagumma by Pink Floyd fits the mysterious I'm talking about, but really anything unique or strange fits) or really emotionally sad and beautiful. I really feel like I can't find much Prog that fits this. I don't really have any guidance in finding it though. All of the well known music I find tends to be too "poppy" (for lack of a better term) and very uplifting, happy sounds. I just need more emotion and beauty and whatnot in my life. Also, please don't suggest Opeth, Porcupine Tree, or Riverside. I absolutely love all three, but I'm really looking for older music. If it's modern, I'll take the suggestion too, but I'm really trying to find older.

As a note, I'm pretty picky.. I find that a lot of the "sad" Prog I've found out about online doesn't fit what I'm looking for. But I will take any suggestions.

In short - looking for suggestions of 60s and 70s Prog that is sad, emotional, mysterious, intense, beautiful, slow, NOT uplifting or happy.

Edited by Xiadz - August 01 2016 at 02:27
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 07:06
Look deeper into the King Crimson catalog and you'll find quite a bit. Here are some specific tracks that I think match what you're looking for:
  • In The Wake of Poseidon (from In The Wake of Poseidon)
  • Lady of the Dancing Water (from Lizard)
  • Prelude: Song of the Gulls/Islands (from Islands)
  • Exiles (from Larks' Tongues In Aspic)
  • Fallen Angel (from Red)
  • Starless (from Red)
Some other songs that I think might float your boat:
  • Camel - Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider
  • PFM - Dove...Quando...Pt. 1
  • PFM - Appena Un Po
  • Rayuela - Vendre Con El Tiempo
  • T2 - J.L.T.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 07:34
I'll also add a few pieces that you might just find appealing to your tastes.
  • Egg - A Visit to Newport Hospital
  • Camel - Never Let Go
  • Van Der Graaf Generator - Plague of the Lighthouse Keepers
  • Van Der Graaf Generator - Lemmings (this is probably one of the most emotional prog pieces for me, along with the first one I suggested)
  • Renaissance - Cold is Being
  • Niemen - Bema Pamięci Żałobny - Rapsod
  • Gentle Giant - Nothing At All
I aim to please.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 07:35
The first thing that comes to my mind is Camel's Ice. So beautiful! Pity that the rest of the album is so different. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 08:56
Univers Zero - Heresie has a reputation as the darkest album out there. Also check out Shub Niggurath 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 09:41
"To Be Over" by Yes is one of my favorites, I always think of this at funerals.

Edited by cstack3 - August 01 2016 at 09:42
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 10:56
Robert Wyatt - Sea Song
Comus' The Herald
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

Vashti Bunyan is listed in prog Folk, and some beautiful, sad songs. A favourite of mine is Winter is Blue, though it isn't a Prog song.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 11:07
Peter Gabriel - Here Comes the Flood (although the remixed piano version is better)
Gentle Giant - Shadows on the Street
The Moody Blues - Isn't Life Strange
Peter Gabriel - Mercy Street
http://fryingpanmedia.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 11:10
All of Brave by Marillion, but especially Brave followed by The Great Escape/The Last of You/Falling from the Moon.

Guaranteed to have you blubbing with sheer emotion even before you get to Rothery's signature guitar solo, which will have you crossing to another dimension.

I would also recommend VDGG The Wave, which, if it took mogodon, would aspire to the merely depressing

It is, of course, possible to be emotional without falling into a bleak pit of despair. Whilst I absolutely hold with my good friend Charles' recommendation of To Be Over, a beautiful song, I would also recommend that you try Turn of the Century by the very same Yes, albeit with Waleman replacing Moraz back on keys. This is a love song based upon a man's such utter love for his dead wife, he mounds a sculpture of her, which comes to life and they spend joyous times "laughing as we danced". I first heard this song some 40 years ago now, and, to this day, it fills my heart with joy as to the potential love and beauty which is within us all.

Hence today's Lazland recommendation to curing the world's many ills. Just get each and every government to blast out Yes, and particularly this track, on each and every radio and to station. Make love, not war
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 12:44
Genesis excel at this. Ripples from A Trick of the Tail and Afterglow from Wind and Wuthering come directly to mind, as do Many Too Many and Undertow from ATTWT.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2016 at 12:45
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 18:55
One For the Vine by Genesis is really emotional too
User Banned for this Post
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 19:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Genesis excel at this. Ripples from A Trick of the Tail and Afterglow from Wind and Wuthering come directly to mind, as do Many Too Many and Undertow from ATTWT.

Also 'Entangled' from Trick.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 21:39
You are in need of some Banco del Mutuo Soccorso my friend. Well, the thing is that their singer can be one of the most powerfully emotional ones you could find, but their music isn't always particularly emotional... they often have very... proggy sections that are more crazy than emotional. However, there's the second half of the song "RIP", the last minutes from "Metamorfosi", parts of "Il Giardino del Mago", "750 000 ani fa... l'amore", a good portion of the album "Come in un 'ultima cena" (my favourite song here would be the rather short "La notte e' piena", the song "Niente".
There's also Harmonium (the band), with the last few minutes of their song "Harmonium". Rick Wakeman's "Judas Iscariot", Van Der Graaf Generator's "Darkness" (and I guess, at least parts of the song "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers"), Steve Hacket's "Shadow of the Hierophant", Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter", perhaps Rainbow's "Stargazer", oh yeah, and Pink Floyd's Ummagumma live version of "A Saucerful of Secrets"... the last sections (3 & 4, Storm Sygnal and Celestial voices, that would make the last 6:20 min of the song)... and if we are with Pink Floyd, we might at least add "The Great Gig in the Sky".

From newer bands, I found Edison's Children second album "The Last Breath before November" very emotional... though not for strong vocals (not at all), but the whole atmosphere of the album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 21:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

All of Brave by Marillion, but especially Brave followed by The Great Escape/The Last of You/Falling from the Moon.

Guaranteed to have you blubbing with sheer emotion even before you get to Rothery's signature guitar solo, which will have you crossing to another dimension.

I would also recommend VDGG The Wave, which, if it took mogodon, would aspire to the merely depressing

It is, of course, possible to be emotional without falling into a bleak pit of despair. Whilst I absolutely hold with my good friend Charles' recommendation of To Be Over, a beautiful song, I would also recommend that you try Turn of the Century by the very same Yes, albeit with Waleman replacing Moraz back on keys. This is a love song based upon a man's such utter love for his dead wife, he mounds a sculpture of her, which comes to life and they spend joyous times "laughing as we danced". I first heard this song some 40 years ago now, and, to this day, it fills my heart with joy as to the potential love and beauty which is within us all.

Hence today's Lazland recommendation to curing the world's many ills. Just get each and every government to blast out Yes, and particularly this track, on each and every radio and to station. Make love, not war

I really love "Turn of the Century", and really find it's lyrics/theme very emotional/sad... however, the music doesn't really sound so sad... it rather gets happy positive sounding as Yes knows how to do it. The same could be said about the song "Harold Land" from their debut (even though this one would be a less mature song, to put it some way). Perhaps one of the more emotional pieces from Yes would be "Soon" (closing section of Gates of Delirium, just in case someone needs this clarified)... though I'm not sure it would be sad... perhaps sadly hopeful?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 22:00
My Room by Van der Graaf Generator

Beautiful and immensely sad...

A Way Out by Hammill
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 01:24
OPETH - Damnation
PETER HAMMILL - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night
Two, incredibly emotional albums.........
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 01:26
Collapse the Light into Earth is one of the first that come to mind. Supper's Ready has some very emotional parts, too (especially at the end).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 05:33
It may not quite meet the OP's criteria but I've always found parts of Flow by Spock's Beard to have a sad kind of vibe, especially the last part. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 05:50
ATOMIC ROOSTER - Debut album.....................just perfect for slashing your wrists.................
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 05:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

ATOMIC ROOSTER - Debut album.....................just perfect for slashing your wrists.................

Death Walks Behind You works as well.

Not prog but Leonard Cohen and Nick Drake are the darkest lyrical stuff I have.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>