Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPrescription Drugs: Do you take any?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Prescription Drugs: Do You Take Any?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [52.27%]
3 [6.82%]
16 [36.36%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 10:53
I never took prescription drugs for a condition or illness until six months ago.
My doctor put me on a half a pill a day for cholesterol. 
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 12:48
I definitely won't be taking statins after Mrs. 2dogs researched them for her father, and both our fathers have now stopped. You will see from Wikipedia that cholesterol "is biosynthesized by all animal cells because it is an essential structural component of all animal cell membranes that is required to maintain both membrane structural integrity and fluidity" and the complexity of the chemical process within the body that is disrupted by statins. She is a also a member of several groups on Facebook of which she recommends Side Effects of Lipitor, Lovastatin and other Statin Drugs for the beginner. This research has been eye opening in discovering the massive vested interests in the pharmaceutical, medical and dietary fields, and the way in which these manipulate research, the interpretation of results, policy and advice. The power the "authorities" have though is so overwhelming that the only real way of fighting it is to start researching for yourself with an open mind, question what you're told, and see where it leads you.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 14:11
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I never took prescription drugs for a condition or illness until six months ago.

prescription drugs scare the hell out of me. I blew my back out a couple of years ago swinging a shovel in a trench... and took the prescription and threw it right in the toilet.  Dr. Micky has found Jack Daniels solves most all ills.. and those that don't... well.. they'll kill ya but none of us is going to live forever.

I'll never take one.. I trust politicians more than I trust doctors...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 15:48
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

prescription drugs scare the hell out of me. I blew my back out a couple of years ago swinging a shovel in a trench... and took the prescription and threw it right in the toilet.  Dr. Micky has found Jack Daniels solves most all ills.. and those that don't... well.. they'll kill ya but none of us is going to live forever.

I'll never take one.. I trust politicians more than I trust doctors...
I managed to get by without them for all these years but I know a few other people my age who take 3 or 4 prescriptions daily.
My V.A. doctor is a very nice Korean lady but she is stubborn and persistent. I see her every six months and it took her three visits to get me to take the pills. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 00:53
I tend to have respect for doctors and regard them as being ethical, more knowledgable on medical and pharmaceutical matters than non-doctors, tv evangelists, quacks and random people on the Internet and far more up-to-date on current research than any of them when prescribing medicines. But that's just me, I'm weird like that, if an electrician tells me I need a 30 amp breaker on my oven I wouldn't ask my doctor what he thinks. So if my doctor says taking these pills may prevent an early death then I'm going to give his opinion a tad more weight over anything I read in the media.

Edited by Dean - September 01 2016 at 00:54
What?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 03:39
+1 on Dean's comment above

The only time I wavered was when I was originally prescribed anti-depressants 16 years ago. I knew things weren't right, but I resisted taking pills for a mental illness until my GP explained I did not have a mental illness, I had a condition where failure of part of my brain chemistry was affecting my moods - a condition which could be controlled by SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) & he was right. I then resisted as I didn't like the idea of taking pills for the rest of my life (or at the very least, long term...) - My GP (and my wife Vicky) then explained it was no different than had I been diagnosed with diabetes & had to take insulin regularly. I'm still on a (low) dose of SSRI's daily & they keep me stable (or as stable as a cantankerous old git like me can be), so yes, I trust GPs more than any online quacks, homeopathic nonsense or especially alcohol

GPs in this country get a bad press, but are still there when you need them to give expert advice, free of charge, despite their sometimes horrific workload.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 03:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Perhaps if you stop availing yourself of dr wu's remedies while I cut and paste the poll question back at you then you'll find being a smart-arse takes dedication, charm and years of practice:

Poll Question: Presription Drugs: Do You Take Any?

*insert image of roflopter here*
No slight of hand or smart assed tricks were used here. I corrected the faux paw with the third dose. Read back and backtrack the date and times, as it's your thing. You just missed it. Now, take my advise and get an eye exam, and let's put this silly back and forth to bed. Amen. Smile   
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Perhaps if you stop availing yourself of dr wu's remedies while I cut and paste the poll question back at you then you'll find being a smart-arse takes dedication, charm and years of practice:

Poll Question: Presription Drugs: Do You Take Any?

*insert image of roflopter here*

No slight of hand or smart assed tricks were used here. I corrected the faux paw with the third dose. Read back and backtrack the date and times, as it's your thing. You just missed it. Now, take my advise and get an eye exam, and let's put this silly back and forth to bed. Amen. Smile   

How desperate not to lose are you? The typo I have pointed out as plainly as I can without taking a snapshot of the screen IS STILL THERE!

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:15

How desperate not to lose are you? The typo I have pointed out as plainly as I can without taking a snapshot of the screen IS STILL THERE!

Ahh, you were referring the secondary and less noticeable subtitle. Mea culpa. You've passed Dr. Gee's eye exam with flying colors. Now, go in peace.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 09:28
Nothing right now, but in the past I'd been on various anti depressants for quite long periods of time. I was on Mirtazapine for about five years, mainly as an aid to sleeping.

I came off it about two years ago.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:20

Ahh, you were referring the secondary and less noticeable subtitle. Mea culpa. You've passed Dr. Gee's eye exam with flying colors. Now, go in peace.

I couldn't care less where the typo occurred or how less noticeable it was, it existed - you joked, I joked and we all had a good laugh along the way but I will go how I bloody well please when I bloody well please.
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:36

I tend to have respect for doctors and regard them as being ethical, more knowledgable on medical and pharmaceutical matters than non-doctors, tv evangelists, quacks and random people on the Internet and far more up-to-date on current research than any of them when prescribing medicines. But that's just me, I'm weird like that, if an electrician tells me I need a 30 amp breaker on my oven I wouldn't ask my doctor what he thinks. So if my doctor says taking these pills may prevent an early death then I'm going to give his opinion a tad more weight over anything I read in the media.

I think that the doctors in the USA are more often seen as shills for the pharma industry looking to get people on repeat prescriptions rather than cures. Personally I think that the majority are as you describe from the UK perspective but there are certainly many less reliable ones out there. Second opinions from within the medical profession are not a bad idea. I'm also suspicious of dentists who always seem to find a reason to need to drill your teeth.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 11:53
Dentists, lovely fellows.

Had a root canal recently for a little less than $700 bucks. Still had problems with my tooth some months later so I called back and they charged me 70$ just to tell me that it was still infected and they'll have to do it again for another f**king $700. Told them that it was out of the question and you should have seen the look on their faces, dude.

Dentists, scary fellows.   
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 12:16
I'm worried about that too.  Had a dentist who seems very very good, but he wants to do LOTS of crowns.  Other dentists are of "minimally invasive" camp and say crowns should only be a very last resort.  Never let them drill unless it is essential.  But my guy feels you should do the crowns while the core is as strong as possible. 

Who to believe when you have two highly qualified people giving you opposite advice?  Sucks. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 12:47

I couldn't care less where the typo occurred or how less noticeable it was, it existed - you joked, I joked and we all had a good laugh along the way but I will go how I bloody well please when I bloody well please.
My wife always said that we made a bizarre odd couple (an odder couple, perhaps?) but she would have had quite a laugh with this one. Maybe she did? Who knows? So, go in peace, or pieces, whichever you prefer, Felix.

Sincerely, Oscar. Smile

Edited by SteveG - September 02 2016 at 03:42
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Dentists, lovely fellows.

Had a root canal recently for a little less than $700 bucks. Still had problems with my tooth some months later so I called back and they charged me 70$ just to tell me that it was still infected and they'll have to do it again for another f**king $700. Told them that it was out of the question and you should have seen the look on their faces, dude.

Dentists, scary fellows.   
I've had many of the same deals over the years until I came upon a very expensive dude that guaranteed his work. Not one problem in 25 years. Alas, he's retired and can't recommend someone. Now that really sucks.

Edited by SteveG - September 02 2016 at 04:01
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 12:55
Yes, for hypertension.  Wouldn't have to if I'd just cut out the booze, eat healthier, and exercise a bit...but that's like, hard, man.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 18:43
Only 4 to 5 handfulls a day

Time always wins.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 09:41
Blood thinners and cholesterol medicine. The wages of my past sins.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 13:09
Grow my own medicine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>