Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Song or Albums that Changed Your Life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Song or Albums that Changed Your Life.
    Posted: August 20 2016 at 05:38

What Prog songs or albums changed your life either musically, emotionally or whatever?

Edited by SteveG - August 20 2016 at 05:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 05:42
oh to have lived a life so eventless that a f**king prog song could have changed it... LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 05:46
Pink Floyd - WYWH
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Radiohead - OK Computer
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido

Songs:
Rush - 2112
Yes - The Gates of Delirium
Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge Part 2
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 07:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh to have lived a life so eventless that a f**king prog song could have changed it... LOL

LOL

best answer, please close thread Big smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 07:19
Triumvirat's album Illusions On A Double Dimple changed my life most importantly, and that is not exaggerated. Hearing it for the first time back in the spring of 1985 galvanised me into my long term love of progressive rock in general, and to this day, it is as fresh and invigorating, emotionally, physically, etc. as it was so many years ago!
          Another album that was an important life changer for me was Passport's Looking Thru record, which I heard for the first time in January of 1988. It was an eye opener to the world of European fusion, an interest which to this day has been a really important one in my life.
                      There must be others, but those sprang to mind immediately.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:02

The cynicism and poor perception of Prog Archive's cup seems to have overflowed lately, and frankly, these dismissive responses are better suited to the Progressive Ears thread. I was not asking for a life changing event, but how music put you on to the prog track, or different prog tracks or inspired you to become a musician.
As for any emotional perk, I played a lot of my brother's favs when he recently passed away and that at least made feel a little better. Now, that doesn't appear to be a life that's so eventless that a prog song could not change it or at least afford a little comfort.

I suggest we drop this "I have a life pretense and others don't", especially when a majority of people seem to spend endless waking hours online on some forum or other. Now, that to me seems to be a life that's eventless.  

Edited by SteveG - August 20 2016 at 08:04
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:15
Genesis - A trick of the tail
Rush - Exit..stage left
Floyd - The Wall
Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds
Marillion - Script for a jesters tear
Motorhead - Ace of spades
Iron Maiden - Number of the beast

Not necessarily my fave albums, but albums that introduced me to new forms of music and laid the foundations for my musical taste thereafter.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:29
Yes. Going for the One
Genesis. Duke
Rainbow. Rising
King Crimson. The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson
Marillion. Script for a Jester's Tear
Pink Floyd. The Wall

Marillion aside, all of these were my first serious introductions to great bands and great music, so were massively influential on me. The Marillion one is merely the first album by my favourite band, so is important in that respect.

Music has been an incredibly important part of my life, indeed the discovery of great rock music could very easily be described as life changing for me. It partly made me the person I am today.

Edited by lazland - August 20 2016 at 08:30
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:33
Pink Floyd - TDSOTM
King Crimson - Starless
Syd Barrett - Dominoes
Syd Barrett - Feel
Syd Barrett - Late Night
Kevin Ayers - Shouting in a Bucket Blues
Joy Division - Isolation
Joy Division - Decades

I know most of them aren't prog, but that's my life in music, changes, past, emotions... whatever.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:34
Boy it's hard to boil this one down to specifics.  So many of these artists have meant such a great deal.  I would say my delving into artists like Kate and Yes simply helped me bond with some very important friends at the time, and those people certainly helped shape my existence.  Rock music in general still helps me cope with the harshness of life to this very day, I'd be lost without it. 

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:41
Egg - The Polite Force (especially "A Visit to Newport Hospital", this was a mindblow for me at first listen)
Egg - "Symphony No. 2" (I had heard prog then, but what I heard there was... inexplicable. The first movement in particular)
UFO - Flying. One Hour Space Rock. (Not exactly prog, but this was a mindblowing experience for me, I could not believe my ears. Still, it's so amazing.)
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (not prog, but, for some odd reason, it is on PA)

There are other, but most of the "other" are far from prog.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:48
Well, The Beatles aren't prog per se (and I don't want to delve into inanities regarding their place in modern music), but from 1964 to 1970, I don't think any band has possibly influenced me more, particularly being an adolescent as I was during their playing years.

Otherwise, here's a short list from early on:

King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
Jethro Tull - Aqualung and Stand Up
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Pink Floyd - DSotM and WYWH
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 

I got a lot of miles out of those few albums.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:51
Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch brought me into music. Further early prog discoveries ("early" as in "early in my musical life") that had a strong influence on me emotionally and shaping my taste were Pink Floyd's Echoes, Eloy's Live album, Tangerine Dream's Rubycon, Tubular Bells, seeing King Crimson live touring Discipline and Novalis. Tago Mago and Soon Over Babaluma were further ear openers.

A few years later, Fred Frith's film Step Across the Border had a huge impact on my understanding of music, what could be done and how to listen. It inspired me discovering all kinds of experimental, industrial, and noise music, including a strong impact on what I've been doing musically. At around the same time I discovered Art Zoyd.

Edited by Lewian - August 20 2016 at 08:51
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 09:42
I'd say Rush in general. Rush really got me into music, and started my journey of appreciating music in new ways. Gentle Giant continued that appreciation, and got me to appreciate the melding of many sounds. Kraftwerk got me into electronic music, seeing that amazing music could be done with electronics.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 09:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was not asking for a life changing event, but how music put you on to the prog track, or different prog tracks or inspired you to become a musician.

ahhhh....

whatever man....  that is not what you asked! LOL You asked what prog song or album came down from the heavens and took away one's debt after one's insurance didn't cover all the bills... made one's evil spouse this sweet and nuturing soul mate... took away the bad dreams of seeing things no one should have to see.

You know ... LIFE changing experiences.

So yeah.. I'll play.

One night I came home late from work and the red headed devil spawn from hell was pissed that I had to work late... this after getting pissed the month before that my workload wasn't enough to get my 40 hours.. and thus proceeded to throw pots and pans at me and cuss me up as a loser that dropped out of college and ruined her 'plans' to have a respectable life where her husband didn't come home dirty and wearing a shirt with his name embroidered on it.

so what did I do.. after she left the room in a huff...  I put on TFTO.. and voila.. my life changed. I was sitting on a hill in the english counryside.. nothing but green grass and high tides.. and my life changed!  POOF! LOL

yeah... that one changed my life.

personally I've found humor is the best medicine for life's ills.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 10:37

You could not be more wrong. I have found being deadly serious on every occasion has great therapeutic benefits. Also nothing is ever funny!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 10:42
I guess listening to ELP and genesis opened up a new world of music to me.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 12:58
Part I, childhood/late teens:

My life is pretty eventful I think but music is still more than important enough to count as life changing

ELO: Time - My daddy bought this; my first taste of a silly concept & even sillier lyrics - but packed with wonderful sounds and songs. Vocoder and synth riffs over good, serious "Dylan"lyrics anytime. 

Residents: Duck Stab (+ the B-side of cassette contained Meet the Residents). Helium vocals about ether-eating eskimoes and Lizard Ladies singing Find a fly and eat his eye, but don't believe in me - Yeah this was like coming home   

Kinda backwards into prog with Genesis: Nursery Cryme 'While Henry Hamilton-Smythe minor (8) was playing croquet with Cynthia Jane De Blaise-William (9), sweet-smiling Cynthia raised her mallet high and gracefully removed Henry's head'. 

Yeah again… but really The Musical Box - over and over and over again. While listening to thrash & heavy metal grunge and alternative rock - why was musical magic like this hidden all these years?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 14:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

You could not be more wrong. I have found being deadly serious on every occasion has great therapeutic benefits. Also nothing is ever funny!

we'll talk about you've dodged some pots and pans thrown by Satan's ace out of the bullpen or had a enraged red headed vixen hold an axe over your beloved (and expensive) bass guitar. LOL

The absurdity of life is humors greatest gold mine..Thumbs Up
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 15:51

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

we'll talk about you've dodged some pots and pans thrown by Satan's ace out of the bullpen or had a enraged red headed vixen hold an axe over your beloved (and expensive) bass guitar. LOL

The absurdity of life is humors greatest gold mine..Thumbs Up

The absurdity of life is the serious and level headed person's greatest thing to shake their head at.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>