Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe a Failure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 18:36
No, it was a respite. And it gave those involved a chance to bring a memorable concert experience displaying the goodness that had transpired. A little sugary in places but still a solid effort.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 21:11
It certainly didn't sound like early 70s Yes, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I love Yes through all of their transitions. All Yes albums, as well as the ABWH albums, are a 10/10 in my book.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 21:20
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Definitely has its Pop-music elements but still sounding really good.
Right. I like a $h|tload of different genres really, including pop, and when I'm listening to music, I really couldn't care less if it's fitting into a particular genre or not; I just enjoy it for whatever it is. That's a lot of what attracts me to prog (and fusion, and experimental stuff etc.) in the first place--the fact that genres are melded, genre conventions are broken, etc. I sure wouldn't demand orthodoxy from something where a defining characteristic is that it's unorthodox.

Edited by Terrapin Station - August 31 2016 at 21:22
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:04
ABWH was pretty good. Fun to mess with people and tell them the Order Of The Universe is about promoting a far right wing supremacist movement. It's not... is it? ;) Thought it needed some toughening up, I prefer the live release (autographed too!).

As for Union and the ABWH parts (most of 'em) I thought that was a pretty good album. Most people seem to get overly close to what they perceive as the the politics of Yes at the time. Who says it's the music that counts? Side one some terrific songs, side 2 is the epic suite.

They gave pretty good concert too.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:23
Top notch musicians will give a top-notch live performance. If you don't dig it, bad luck.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 01 2016 at 04:29
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:56
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Jon Anderson is said to have felt strained by the restrictions of the pop-oriented rock Yes was playing at the time, and wanted to go back to basics. He pulled on board old Yes members to create a wonderful lineup with fantastic musicians. So, what I (perhaps naively) expected was something along the lines of a classic Yes revival.

Except that the songs weren't quite wrritten that way. Look at all the sessions musicians and people involved. Some of the same culprits that screwed up the songs that became Onion.

I like ABWH, except for Quartet.

Jon's problem is that he's too flighty. He's like a lot of these lead singers who think they have musical chops they really don't. In the right band he's fantastic and I love his ideas, but he just doesn't have the chops to do it all himself. Even Olias struggles with this fact.

But i really like the vibe of ABWH, Vultures should have been on the album from the get go. Brother of Mine, Second Attention and Fist of Fire and the one about Australian nuclear testing are excellent tracks. Order of the universe is pure cheese but fun enough. Teakbois i've never understood what that word means but I like the music - pure Anderson.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 04:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It certainly does't have the same feel as 70's classic Yes, but it's got some nice or even wonderful music. "Birthright" in particular is amazing for me, as well as the first two parts of "Brother of Mine" (the last one doesn't do much for me, unfortunatley). "Fist of Fire" is nice too. And from the Union album, I do love "Shock to the System" from the ABWH songs, and like "I Would Have Waited Forever" a lot too. Too bad we can't really know how much of the songs were actually played by the band or how much was played by session musicians. And lately I read that this first album also had it's share of session musicians getting in the way.
In the long run i doubt that was the case. Fish's voice has long gone and the band would eventually have had to replace him anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 05:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I saw ABWH in concert, they were sublime! 

It was especially fun to see Tony Levin in Squire's spot, and he seemed to enjoy himself immensely.  However, the "Yes" brand is probably too compelling to abandon completely, so it always goes back to Yes(registered trademark).

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
Did Anderson sing Owner of a Lonely Heart as i've seen from Youtube recordings.

FFS Jon!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 05:06
Originally posted by anotherscott anotherscott wrote:

"Miracle of Life" and "Silent Talking" are strong too.
There are some interesting songs on Onion, that's the great tragedy of it. Angkor Wat is a really interesting piece. Holding On is poppy but fun, Miracle of Life is by far the best thing on the album, a cracking Rabin piece. It's just the whole idea of Anderson flitting around pollinating the different Yes camps was...ugh. And they couldn't let Chris reign supreme with his bass, just backing vox? Oh dear!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 05:10
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I remember being excited about ABWH when first hearing about the project. Went out and bought it on cassette! Cool
Never could get into it. I think I, like others, thought erroneously that it would sound like early Yes. I have recently tried to get back into it and am having little success. Oh well, can't like everything I guess
Rick Wakeman was the only member i'd ever heard of. I loved the album though. I'm listening to Brother of Mine right now. It has one of Howe's best ever guitar solos.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:16
I love Union, too, by the way.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:21
I love ABWH, and the live show I saw in Birmingham, subsequently released as a live cd, was incredibly good. Definitely one of the highlights of later Yes related material.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 18:18
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

[QUOTE=aglasshouse]Even Olias struggles with this fact.

Amen to that, brother. I bought that one a few years back after hearing years of hoopla about it, and boy did it disappoint. I may never put it on again.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 00:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Amen to that, brother. I bought that one a few years back after hearing years of hoopla about it, and boy did it disappoint. I may never put it on again.

I had a copy. The art work superb but what was so fantastic about the album? Really needed input from his band to lift it up. To me the Yes solo albums indicated a whole is the sum of the parts. They would have been better off making four or five Yes albums. Or even one.

Even many Jon fans say Olias is his solo album peak. I've heard one or two since and ... he needs yes or ABWH or RAW... WAR? Well, something...

Heh, I wonder if we'll get a new 90125?  Wink

(Ducks...)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 04:09
hmmm one its the same old same...one mans pleasure is an other mans pain.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 09:07
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I had a copy. The art work superb but what was so fantastic about the album? Really needed input from his band to lift it up. To me the Yes solo albums indicated a whole is the sum of the parts. They would have been better off making four or five Yes albums. Or even one.

Even many Jon fans say Olias is his solo album peak. I've heard one or two since and ... he needs yes or ABWH or RAW... WAR? Well, something...

Heh, I wonder if we'll get a new 90125?  Wink

(Ducks...)
Animation is by far his best solo album. It's actually really strong with some good musicians. I think he had a band of sorts at this point.

And then he got wind of Cinema...and 90125.

The stuff he did with Vangelis is excellent (for the most part).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 14:02
I've bought it twice on cd....both in used bins.....and sold it twice to the used bins.
'Nuff said...?

Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 14:30
^That's too cruel. I see your point, though.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 14:57
I wasn't trying to be cruel......just could never get into that one.....but really I don't play any Yes after GFTO.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 03:28
I see it as a Yes album that couldn't be called Yes for legal reasons.
lostrom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>