Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe a Failure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 09:55
ABWH introduced me to classic Yes, so to me its not a failure. I only knew of Yes via MTV/90125 like most teens.  I was just learning about prog in the late 80s starting with the big Pink Floyd revival, so ABWH was a great gateway to classic Yes.  I had also just discovered King Crimson at the same time as ABWH, so to have the 80's KC rhythm section (which included the original Yes drummer who actually played on those classic tracks) was icing on the cake. And if Squire was replaced by someone, it was with one of my favorite bass players!  And for ABWH to actually tour arenas and amphitheaters without the Yes name is remarkable and showed the desire people had for the classic era, and perhaps prog in general.

I thought the ABWH album was fine for its time, despite catching flak from friends at the time for liking it (and Yes).  I don't hate Teakbois, but it should have been replaced with "Vultures in the City", and I enjoyed it as one of the few new prog rock albums at that time.   I remember the parody track by punk band The Dead Milkman saying "we want a real Yes reunion, no more Anderson Walkman Buttholes and How!"  Be careful what you wish for...

Even Union was enjoyable to me, both the show and the album (flawed as it is, it still had interesting and even spacey ambient parts).  But we didn't know that Union was to be the end of an era.  I bailed on Yes when the Talk lineup was announced, and followed Bruford to the new KC era of Thrak while scooping up the early Yes catalog, ending with Drama for me personally.
all men must die...
bcshelton72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 09:42
I'm still trying to digest ABWH properly & come to peace with it after all these years.

I first heard it while DJing at a college radio station when it came out. It was put into heavy rotation immediately (we had playlists, not freeform shows), starting with "Themes" which I liked pretty well.

Since then, when the tracks come up in shuffle, there always seems to be some instrument sound that is offputting. Not in a way that is dated; rather in ways that I've always thought sounded bad no matter what band was doing it. Example: that synth/sampled trumpet sound that Wakeman noodles with in Quartet.. I guess it's my bias as a keyboard player. Nothing could sound cheaper to me.

So I keep trying to listen around those types of things for the underlying music.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 10:20
Originally posted by bcshelton72 bcshelton72 wrote:

I'm still trying to digest ABWH properly & come to peace with it after all these years.

I first heard it while DJing at a college radio station when it came out. It was put into heavy rotation immediately (we had playlists, not freeform shows), starting with "Themes" which I liked pretty well.

Since then, when the tracks come up in shuffle, there always seems to be some instrument sound that is offputting. Not in a way that is dated; rather in ways that I've always thought sounded bad no matter what band was doing it. Example: that synth/sampled trumpet sound that Wakeman noodles with in Quartet.. I guess it's my bias as a keyboard player. Nothing could sound cheaper to me.

So I keep trying to listen around those types of things for the underlying music.

It does have an 80s feel to it, for me it's the electronic drums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456