Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Anyway, no immediate objections to the latest update, mostly understandable if not agreeable choices. I'm quite surprised at how high Prelude: Song of the Gulls is. Fine song I suppose, but not even one of KC's best, much less deserving to be just outside the top 100. Ah well, it's all random votes compiled together anyway. I'm pretty sure Herbie Hancock's Sleeping Giant has to have made the top 100, so that's good.

The reason Song of The Gulls is as high as it is is because two of us had it in their top 10, myself being one of them. I couldn't bring myself not to include it right alongside Islands, which is one of my favourite songs of all time, since the two work so well together as a compact unit. On its own I probably would have ranked it around 50 or 60.

Also, I should be getting started with posting the top 100 in the next couple of days.

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - September 02 2016 at 09:23
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 09:32
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Check out any of their three albums ... Storia Di Un Minuto is the most romantic, Per Un Amico is the most refined and L'isola Di Niente is oddly Yes-like. All three are excellent, though!

thanks! seeing they were an italian band, i think i sorta linked them in my head to opera. definitely will reach for that pebble and check them out! :)

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 09:51
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Can the Camel fans please explain to me how on earth Slow Yourself Down can be ranked higher than Ice, Chord Change or Song Within a Song??

Song Within a Song was pretty high on my list, and I forgot Chord Change, but Slow Yourself Down is great. The vocals at the beginning are a bit... quiet, but the song overall is intense, complex, and rocks harder than prog has any right to. I've listened to it a disturbing amount of times (still not as much as Song Within a Song, probably the one song I've heard the most).

Actually I admit it takes off quite nicely in the second half, although I find the songwriting and singing in the first half rather lame... anyway at the end of the day it of course boils down to taste but still I'm curious what motivates such to me totally counterintuitive ranking decisions.

Decisions made by a collective vote are never rational *gestures to entire world as example*
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 15:51
Originally posted by Blinkyjoh Blinkyjoh wrote:

i'm noticing a LOT of PFM listed...I've never even heard of them before this site (but i'll be checking them out). 
Are they that loved here, or is just happenstance that a lot of PFM fans found this poll?

i don't think i've ever gotten around to trying camel either. just too much music!

I never herad of PFM before this sight either. Acutally, just about all the music I listen to I only discovered because of this site LOL. Anyways, PFM is the best. THey are only second to Genesis when it comes to my favorite bands. Their second album 'Per Un Amico' is heavenly, in my top three fav. albums of all time. Please, do give them a listen.

And come on, give Camel a listen to. Big smile Sounds like you are in for a treat.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 15:54

Uh oh, The Battle of Epping Forest is higher than Animale Senza Respiro. Everybody take cover...

All I can say is, I'm sorry... LOL I love Battle of Epping Forest, I assumed others loved it too until I started reading reviews of SEBTP lol Clearly some people don't appreciate as much as me.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 23:32
Now, the TOP 100

100. Franco Battiatio - Sulle Corde Di Aries - Sequenze e Frequenze

789.3 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 66               Ranked highest by Micky (#1)

“The album begins with the track that I absolutely grabbed me hard and just wouldn't let go...I found it incredibly intoxicating and hypnotic. I love listening to this song. Like a lot of [Battiato’s] music.. not the stuff you listen to when getting revved up for a hot date.. but when you are curled up with a good book on a rainy day.” – Micky (#1)

99. Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste - Wreck

791.1 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 45               Ranked highest by aglasshouse (#27)

"Off of Acquiring The Taste, "Wreck" is the absolute highlight - an unlikely title to be given to what is, at heart, a rocked-out sea shanty. The concept is weird, but believe me, it works so, so well." - Magnum Vaeltaja (#59)

98. Pink Floyd - Animals - Sheep

796.9 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 45               Ranked highest by BrufordFreak (#28)

"My favorite track is the last epic: 'Sheep', when compared to 'Dogs', is equally brilliant in terms of arranging and performing, but superior in terms of power and musical magic. The interplay among all four Floyd members is the most cohesive in the album, and the diverse successive sections constitute a fluid amalgam right up until the climatic closing motif goes fading out among the noises of sheep bleating." - Cesar Inca

97. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - In The Cage

802.2 points       Appears 4 times             Mean rank: 111             Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#37)

"What to say? No doubt the most widely-favoured track of [The Lamb], with a moving bass-and-vocals opening, leading to a driving, powerful keyboard riff, with good lyrics, occasional changes in mood to heavier or more serious-sounding sections, and then to lighter, more frivolous sections and back again. A very strong song, and vital for those who consider Banks' solos and Gabriel's voice the highlights of Genesis." - TGM: Orb

96. Gong - Camembert Electrique - You Can't Kill Me

808.1 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 43               Ranked highest by ALotOfBottle (#13)

"[Camembert Electrique] opens with odd high-pitched voices and electronic effects of "Radio Gnome Prediction", which quickly dissolve into "You Can't Kill Me". The piece basically sets the mood for the rest of the album with its cosmic jazz-rock theme. One of the highlights of the track is the way Daevid Allen's singing matches the phrasing of his guitar and Didier Malherbe's saxophone parts on odd rhythm patterns." - ALotOfBottle (#13)

95. Gentle Giant - Octopus - The Boys In The Band

814.4 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 45               Ranked highest by aglasshouse (#10)

"Beginning with the sound of a coin spinning, [Boys In The Band] is not only one of Gentle Giant's best instrumentals, it's one of my favorite instrumentals. It's rampant and yet tightly orchestrated, like a runaway train on the set of a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. In less than five minutes, Gentle Giant demonstrates their insane ability to work together as a group and yet produce the most disparate sounds ever heard in one piece." – Epignosis

94. Genesis - A Trick of The Tail - Los Endos

816.7 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 49               Ranked highest by Blinkyjoh (#4)

"Los Endos - an excellent prog instrumental to end this album. Possibly another "trick of the tail", which if you were to think of this song as the tail of the album, it might trick you into thinking that Genesis were a progressive jazz band. The song does replay some of the themes encountered along the way throughout the album." - rushfan4

93. Yes - The Yes Album - Perpetual Change

826.0 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 39               Ranked highest by Magnum Vaeltaja (#20)

"One last monster, the surprisingly underrated 'Perpetual Change'...this is the fourth slab of symphonic greatness on this indispensable album. 'You'll see perpetual change!' ANDERSON roars. And we did, we did, for album after stunning album. Again, the interplay of the rhythm section is astonishing - what about that amazing piece at the five minute mark? how on earth did they think of that? - and the song is drawn to an exciting climax." - russellk

92. Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys - Epilogo

836.0 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 38               Ranked highest by Micky (#13)

"Epilogo. It's easy to feel that the whole album has been leading up to this. The speedy, rollicking piano/organ and powerful drum salutations oozes of conclusion. But you'll have to wait for another eleven minutes to finally sit back and catch your breath. After some jumpy, confused instrumental dialogue it's a dive right into ELP territory...Psychedelic swirls and whirls shrouds it all in a bigger and bigger mystery as the volume increases, again with a feeling of conclusion. But it settles down again, becoming more and more stripped of any discernible musical life force, leaving room for echoing spaced-out tranquillity - and then, slashing through the apathy - back to a reprise of the tracks beginning, but with a menacing addition to it at the ending, with the now nothing but scary female voices drifting away into silence. They're twisted, cruel and unavoidable." - LinusW

91. Focus - Hamburger Concerto - Hamburger Concerto

840.5 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 36               Ranked highest by someone_else (#22)

"At first I tried to listen to the huge "Hamburger Concerto" track by parts just to try to get a glance from it, but that was not enough to get a good idea. You really have to put the song and listen from beginning to the end. And, oh my god, only for the last 3 minutes of this track I could die while listening... The end of “Hamburger Concerto” is simply the best musical climax ever achieved in music yet." -belz

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - September 04 2016 at 23:34
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 07:59
^Yay! "You Can't Kill me" made it! LOL Thanks a ton for the quote, Kevin!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 08:17
No objections to the top 100 so far, out of these, Sequenze E Frequenze is probably my favorite, and In the Cage my least favorite. Interesting to note that In the Cage got more votes, but most of them were relatively low. Clear advantage gained from basically every person on this website having listened to certain songs, whereas other great stuff is simply not listened to.

Not normally a Gong fan, but I should go listen to You Can't Kill Me. Just in case
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 22:47
90. Soft Machine - Third - Moon In June

840.5 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 39               Ranked highest by ALotOfBottle (#8)

"The Robert Wyatt penned "Moon in June" actually defines the Canterbury sound alone, being both charming and challenging on the ear...Definitely a standout." - Bj-1

89. Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Playing The Game

843.9 points       Appears 4 times             Mean rank: 80               Ranked highest by Zravkapt (#35)

"From start to finish, [Playing The Game] does it for me. From the insistent synth bass line, to the catchy melodies, to the terrific Hammond organ riffs, to the breezy, blinkered bravado of the lyrics, this is outstanding stuff. Lead vocalist Derek Shulman, in the role of the album's politico protagonist, likens politics to chess, claiming the part of "king," and pompously declares that "the other pieces are there for my art and my tactics now.... I'll play the game, and never ever lose." A multi-faceted, joyous pure prog track, this is the essence of Gentle Giant -- if you don't "get" this one, you just don't like the band!" – Peter

88. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Us And Them

850.4 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 34               Ranked highest by TheLionOfPrague (#17)

"Us and Them changed my life when it opened my smoke-filled eyes to the possibilities in the world around me more than thirty years ago. Is this an anti-war song, or something more? Yes and no, of course; it’s what you make of it, as is the rest of the album." – ClemofNazareth

87. Camel - Mirage - Freefall  

853.3 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 38               Ranked highest by ALotOfBottle (#6)

"Freefall. The fact that this killer single was never introduced to me by classic rock stations only serves to further lower their usefulness in my mind. It's a shame, because hearing just this song earlier in life would have turned me into a Camel fan years earlier. Better late than never, I suppose. Latimer turns in a nice groove on guitar, and Ward SMOKES on the drums." – Flucktrot

86. Focus - Moving Waves - Eruption

859.0 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 36               Ranked highest by A_Flower (#8)

"It's almost an impossible task to analyze this song part by part, because there are so many changes that go from the baroque introduction by Thijs Van Leer's keyboards, jazzy passages and psychedelic sections to progressive and even semi hard rock parts. Maybe the most important and unusual characteristic of this long track is that even when the changes are really dramatic, they manage to maintain the soft atmosphere across the heaviest parts. Definitely an underrated epic, almost never mentioned in progressive polls, but which deserves much more recognition, 23.04 minutes of pure progressive rock in the unique style of Focus." - Ivan_Melgar_M

85. Rush - Caress of Steel - The Necromancer

861.4 points       Appears 4 times             Mean rank: 91               Ranked highest by Micky/slipperman7 (#22)

"Rush's vision of high fantasy is Tolkien-inspired to the point of feeling like a cheap knock-off (in a sense, they paved the way for generations of power metal bands) but it doesn't matter. Regardless whether the content isn't original, Rush make you believe in it. The gloomy psychedelic distortions in "The Necromancer" paint a grim picture of a wasteland where nothing grows." - Conor Fynes

84. Camel - Mirage - Earthrise

869.0 points       Appears 4 times             Mean rank: 78               Ranked highest by Magnum Vaeltaja (#34)

"Earthrise starts out at a mild pace before deciding that they need to do something drastic. So, like Michael Myers of Halloween finding a big knife of some kind, they come after you at full force with amazing guitar solos throughout the song, which only slow off to allow for luscious keyboards which come in here and again. It bookends with another calmer part at the end of the tune and then it's all over, leaving you wanting more." - Queen By-Tor

83.  Camel - Camel - Never Let Go

872.4 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 30               Ranked highest by Lewian (#9)

"Never Let Go is a Camel classic, full of every element that make Camel such a pleasure to listen to; the rich 6th-laden harmonies, flowing melodies and slightly funky bass and drums. Bardens really works it with Latimer's flute in the middle section to provide some beautiful, timeless prog. While Bardens might not have had the most notable voice in prog, it fits well here, the lyrics patch in well, and Latimer really lets fly with some classic air-guitar worthy soloing in the burn-out." - Certif1ed

82. Yes - Drama - Machine Messiah

874.3 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 30               Ranked highest by aglasshouse (#17)

"The fun begins with 'Machine Messiah', a BUGGLES composition given the STEVE HOWE treatment. An appropriate mechanical rumble fades in, heralding a splendid riff. Yes, we get to hear this riff a lot in this epic track, but they do use it well. HOWE surrounds the riff with squeals, slides and snarls, hovering on the edge of discord, the sound echoing the lyrics in true epic style. WHITE thumps the tubs with more vigour than at any point in his YES career, and then it's vocals time...Nothing ANDERSON could have supplied would have had the compelling intensity of this material. A great finish rounds off this essential track." - russellk

81. Neu! – Neu! - Negativland

876.8 points       Appears 3 times             Mean rank: 30               Ranked highest by Guldbamsen (#15)

"Negativland is probably the most intense track [on "Neu!"]. The track, which to me reminds of 80's King Crimson in many ways (though of course this was recorded ten years before that). The drilling sounds lead into an absolutely mind blowing guitar by Rother, and the bass line just thumps and gives the whole track this "umph" that makes the it so intense." - frippism

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 05:36
Unhappy f**king Camel Thumbs Down LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 05:54
Never Let Go and Freefall are both overblown, I've never understood why they get so much attention. Good on Negativland being so high, surprised someone else rated it higher. Comparing Neu! to King Crimson is somewhat odd, their influence and style go so much farther beyond that. The narration on Necromancer is ridiculous, nice music though. Haven't heard Drama, the rest are acceptable for the list. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 06:43
as I often say of the Necromancer... the key to its greatness is its ridiculousness. 

D&D prog.... learn it.. love it.... live it.

Definitely check out Drama. It rules...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:16
I listened to Machine Messiah (pretty good) and The Necromancer (it's growing on me). Now I'm just struggling to comprehend Never Let Go being higher than Moon in June. Absolutely incomprehensible...
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:24
Is it too late to make changes to my list? :)

Wow. Going extra mile with top 100. Gw!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:24
oh you'll learn.... there is no rhyme or reason to things like this.  LOL It isn't quality but popularity. Prog fan is as guilty of riding the bandwagons and liking genric plastic music as much as the much derided pop fan.

This is the only place in the universe where f**king Camel would win a poll over ELP. Not once but TWICE!  Well.. unless there is a niche forum for deaf music fans somewhere out there hahah.

You just shake your head and enjoy the show...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:27

Now I'm just struggling to comprehend Never Let Go being higher than Moon in June.

Simple. On PA, Camel are much, much, much, much more popular than Soft Machine.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh you'll learn.... there is no rhyme or reason to things like this.  LOL It isn't quality but popularity. Prog fan is as guilty of riding the bandwagons and liking genric plastic music as much as the much derided pop fan.

This is the only place in the universe where f**king Camel would win a poll over ELP. Not once but TWICE!  Well.. unless there is a niche forum for deaf music fans somewhere out there hahah.

You just shake your head and enjoy the show...

To be clear, I'm a fan of Camel, and I pretty much don't like ELP at all. 

Technically, I'm hard of hearing (no joke) but deaf is close enough LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:32
AngryLOL
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 09:56
loving the list so far. Can't wait to see the rest of it
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 10:30
yeah.. who hoo... can't wait to see if it is 5 or 6 Genesis songs in the top 10!

yeah.. can't wait! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>