Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:15
It's definitely a danger for a song competition that all the usual suspect albums have several well loved songs that could clog up the top ranks even further down than in an album ranking.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 10:02
At least we've gotten most of Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme out of way, excepting the two actually great songs on them. There's just going to be an absolute storm of Yes songs aren't there? 
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 23:02
30. Rush – Hemispheres – La Villa Strangiato

1520.7 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 82               Ranked highest by Slipperman7 (#27)

"All along [La Villa Strangiato's] 12 sections displayed in a time span of 9 and a half minutes, the threesome expose their technical abilities and their combined versatility in order to create a multi-faceted journey through the realms of symph prog, hard rock, jazz rock, Arabic-like eerie ambiences (even a memorable although brief Flamenco intro!!). The guys seem to be at ease fulfilling such a demanding task, having fun while challenging the listener with all the overwhelming complexity that is contained in 'La Villa'. What a way to close down an album!" - Cesar Inca

"9-and-a-half minutes of Lee/Lifeson/Peart tearing it up (sans vocals) at the peak of their abilities. Every musical mood you can imagine is here in this wordless story, from the fanciful to the frightful, from the fantastic to the realistic. A wonder of instrumental dexterity and musical storytelling." - slipperman

29. Yes – Fragile – South Side of The Sky

1630.9 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 69               Ranked highest by aglasshouse (#18)

"South Side of the Sky is the one that resonates most with me. It is quite unique in the entire Yes canon, seemingly enveloped in imbalance and uneasiness. It never falls over or melts down, but the whole track seems to be as if at a tipping point, leaving me with a very powerful impression." - rogerthat

"Starting in true prog fashion with a wind sound effect, the amazing drum fill leads into a very interesting song indeed. There are 3 rather short verses and choruses before the band suddenly stop and give way to Wakeman taking us to a completely different place indeed: a place where a cappella reigns supreme and relaxing melodies intertwine with complex drumming...A truly underrated song." - baz91

28. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here – Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1-9

1648.5 points     Appears 6 times             Mean rank: 41               Ranked highest by someone_else (#6)

"The epic Shine On You Crazy Diamond is everything you want in space rock, a huge atmospheric creation that transports the listener to another world before building to an explosive chorus." - Negoba

"The tranquility conveyed on "Shine On" is astounding and so aptly performed live with exquisite visual imagery. The track opens with a patient, ambience created by sounds of a peaceful stream, a rowing boat, and the distinct keyboard talents of Wright. The music takes us downstream as we enter Syd Barret's jaded conscious thoughts, echoed by the band members themselves. The track is an ode to the twisted genius of Syd and moves through several sections as a multi movement suite orchestrated to perfection." - AtomicCrimsonRush

27. Yes – Close To The Edge – Siberian Khatru

1710.1 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 63               Ranked highest by A_Flower (#14)

"Siberian Khatru is just flawless! I wouldn't change a nanosecond of this song. I like the 1950s rock'n'roll style guitar playing at the beginning. I laugh at people who say that Yes are not rock. If what Steve Howe does at the beginning of this song is not rock, then I don't know what the hell is." – Zravkapt

"I consider this to be mostly a Howe track; from the beginning he is showing off fantastic chops that many could only dream of executing so perfectly. The heavy and thumping bass really drives this song along. It gets quite psychedelic in the middle and through the rest of the song, and this track is actually the most straight forward on the album. I've gotten many modern pop fans to tell me that they absolutely love this track." - colorofmoney91

26. Caravan – In The Land of Grey and Pink – Nine Feet Underground

1742.1 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 57               Ranked highest by mechanicalflattery (#15)

"Side 2 is their near-23 minute magnum-opus 'Nine Feet Underground' - way too difficult for me to explain without breaking down its molecular structure and boring everyone to tears - just listen to it. Dreamy, blissful, carefree, wonderful music with some of the most tasteful organ playing around" - Tom Ozric

"Any experienced progger will know that a side-long epic by a band of this style will be less of the "epic" quality and more, say, a series of connected jams and psychedelic noodles. I wasn't surprised when I discovered the 'Nine Feet...' was exactly that. Now some people on this site have criticised that fact, but I only pity them for even expecting some kind of "Close to the Edge 2". This is the Canterbury scene, and I doubt anyone has ever represented it better in a single 22 minutes and 40 seconds." – thehallway

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 11:40
"I've gotten many modern pop fans to say to tell me that they absolutely love this track"

Well that just says it all huh? Not a fan of of Yes' rock-ier material. They were best at soaring organ, emotional vocals, and soft acoustic interludes. South Side of the Sky being this high as well is highly questionable, and I object to Rush being in the top 100 of anything, but should be mostly good stuff for the top 25... I think? Ok I don't like Heart of the Sunrise (go ahead and shoot me) but otherwise...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 22:37
25. Camel – Mirage – Lady Fantasy Suite

1768.7 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 54               Ranked highest by Slipperman7 (#15)

"My favorite part of this track, and thus the whole album, is the reverse-fade guitar solo, just gorgeous. This leads directly into the soft, emotional lyrical section, and I love how the music reflects the mood of the lyrics, portraying the concept of being mesmerized by a beautiful, really majestic woman from a afar. Then "bam!" the hard-rock riffing and soloing begins, and it's just great. The crunchy keyboard timbre is just so juicy." - Isa

"After the not-at-all-sappy 'Oh my Lady Fantasy...I...love you', Latimer and Bardens explode out into the stunningly high-energy Lady Fantasy with a burst of stellar guitar and moog, with Ferguson also standing out in his interplay with the two soloists. Ward crashes along behind them to bring the song back down to the main guitar melody and its gorgeous shimmering-mellotron conclusion. Just perfect, and managing to convey beauty and emotions while at the same time being good-humoured and even trivial. The Mirage in its purest form." - TGM: Orb

24. Yes – Tales From Topographic Oceans – The Revealing Science of God (Dance of The Dawn)

1797.7 points     Appears 6 times             Mean rank: 26               Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#5)

"[Revealing Science of God] starts immediately, although it had already begun, with an absolute monster first verse charting the birth of consciousness in a world of information - the dawn of light, the dawn of thought, the dawn of power, the dawn of love - and builds wonderfully with the trademark Yes vocal harmonies, here at their most fluid and dynamic." - Thuleatan

"The Revealing Science of God is an absolutely fantastic song, and it's hard to refute that. Opening with a quiet vocal piece, breaking into a sweeping instrumental section, featuring Wakeman and Howe's great prowess, the song is off to a good start...Despite its near 21-minute length, it is a very "popularly-acceptable" track, featuring a nice chorus, not too bombastic instrumental sections, smooth part changes, and beautiful melodies.” - Andy Webb

23. Yes – Going For The One - Awaken

1801.1 points     Appears 6 times             Mean rank: 28               Ranked highest by A_Flower (#1)

"The real kicker, though, is "Awaken", which is the most tapped-in, trance-inducing music Yes ever made, and which despite all odds is unquestionably on par with the scary heights of the previous two albums. The band sounds positively possessed as they rip through one of their finest vocal and instrumental deliveries, and I couldn't imagine a more intense 15 musical minutes." – corbet

"This song has been universally praised, not only by fans, but by the band themselves, who describe it as their best masterwork. I thoroughly agree. This song is a journey. A 15-minute adventure into the land of "Eastern Yes". The main riff is breathtaking, as are Howe's spiralling guitar scales that warp around it. His soloing is the best demonstration of combining frantic frenzy with melodic beauty I have ever seen." – thehallway

22. Yes – The Yes Album – Yours Is No Disgrace

1861.1 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 47               Ranked highest by Zravkapt (#12)

"Yours is No Disgrace is something of an anthem to me. The bass guitar riff seems to speak of such affirmation, well, just look at the band's name. The song isn't as classically-inflected as later Wakeman works, but the jazzy feel that pervades is a wonderful alternative." - penguindf12

"A bouncy guitar and some organ get things rolling. Howe's lead guitar work throughout the song is extremely well-constructed and downright creative, and almost instantly, I see that Banks's replacement was a good thing. Jon Anderson's lyrics are becoming more obscure than ever, and his voice has finally reached it's prime. Chris Squire's bass is more pronounced. All in all, this is one of my absolute favorite Yes songs." – Epignosis

21. Yes – Fragile – Heart of The Sunrise

1926.0 points     Appears 8 times             Mean rank: 75               Ranked highest by Magnum Vaeltaja (#2)

"Heart of the Sunrise is no less than a complete prog and Yes classic. Fantastic bass lines by Squire, huge performance by Wakeman on pianos, organs and mellotron and complex guitar workouts by Howe, a very tight group offering massive breaks and changing moods in a composition where harmony meets adventure. Even the smooth middle-part with Anderson's voice leading the way is pretty delicate and attractive. A total masterpiece." - apps79

"The finale to this album is my favorite Yes song, Heart of the Sunrise. The first 3 minutes is nirvana, featuring a powerful riff that is catchy and heavy at the same time. The mini-jam with the Wakeman synths and the refreshing Squire breakdown is fantastic. The rest of the song is a gem, with strong Anderson vocals and lyrics." - Cygnus X-2
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 23:04
20. King Crimson – In The Court of The Crimson King – 21st Century Schizoid Man

1928.2 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 38               Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#30)

"21st Century Schizoid Man is an extremely famous progressive track, and for good reason. The blasting riff in this song is probably the greatest I have ever heard. As for the middle section, I have never heard a better fusion of jazz and rock, if you can even call it jazz. It really has to be heard to be believed." – Yanns

"Here's where we set the volume level to maximise our listening experience. If you can't hear every little detail in the first 30 seconds or so, then you've set it too quiet. Do try not to listen to mp3 or other form of over-compressed media - and make sure the neighbours are out, if you're not listening on headphones. When the riff kicks in, that sucker should nail you to the back of the sofa with its intended hugeness, ferocity and awesome power." - Certif1ed

19. King Crimson – In The Court of The Crimson King – The Court of The Crimson King

1992.8 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 37               Ranked highest by The Dark Elf (#3)

"An indescribable song of in-human genius. One of a kind, one of the best. It's main-theme is hypnotically attractive and it's lyrics are very inspired. The many instrumental parts are innovative and the comeback at the end with it's almost metal guitar shrieks are amazing. One of the best epics of the progressive genre." - Friso

"The title track shocks us back into the here and now, or is it the 13th century? Perhaps the dark plague, where no good can befall us. A truly beautiful, lengthy yet structured piece with no waste. More hard hitting vocals and chorus line, flutes, mellotrons, and a mind blowing close. This is transformative music, and a perfect close to one of the most groundbreaking albums ever, in any genre." – kenethlevine

18. Pink Floyd – Animals – Dogs

2019.4 points     Appears 8 times             Mean rank: 58               Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#13)

"The highlight of the album is undoubtedly the 17 minute behemoth, Dogs. Built around the lyrical development of violence and aggression, the song is complemented by brilliant guitar work and a long ambient break. Both Gilmour and Waters sing to great effect here." - Any Colour You Like

"But what makes this sound even greater is a turn in the band's direction, the inevitable turn towards (relative) simplicity after a period of elaborate experimentalism and/or bombast. There's no orchestra, no saxophone, no female backing vocals, no guest musicians, but just a band which wants to make rock music: rock music which shoots directly in your face (and in your brain), raw power, but at neither place bland or overlong. This does not mean that Pink Floyd move back to the 1960s when they covered "I'm A King Bee" or something like that, but rather that there are, for instance, crystal-clear passages in Dogs without any pads or drones, just with bass guitar, drums, staccato electric piano and guitar improvisations." - Einsetumadur

17. Yes – The Yes Album – Starship Trooper

2076.0 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 30               Ranked highest by BunBun (#2)

"Starship Trooper is the best of all, though. The most symphonic song on the album, this 3-part suite features beautiful fantasy lyrics, perfectly balanced instrumental arrangements, folk moments and "Wurm", one of music's greatest build-ups." - Magnum Vaeltaja (#9)

"The first and second sections contain amazing lyrics and wonderful melodies, but the third and final section, Würm, is by far the most memorable part of this song, and indeed this album. It is four minutes long, entirely instrumental, and only consists of three chords being played one after the other. In four minutes, Yes do the most amazing job of building up to the spotlight guitar solo finish to this track. This song is simply marvelous. The amount of times I've had to get up from whatever I was doing to perform an impromptu air guitar solo is innumerable. This is a prog rock song that will never be forgotten." -baz91

16. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of The Moon - Time

2115.0 points     Appears 9 times             Mean rank: 81               Ranked highest by TheLionOfPrague (#4)

"But “Time” is the one that blows me away still. The others were larger than life when they were new, helped of course by plenty of testosterone and adrenaline and recreational stimulants...But “Time” is still as relevant and poignant and powerful and thought- provoking to this middle-aged dreamer as it was to a barely-teenaged dreamer all those years ago...It’s probably even more relevant today, as time has become so much more significant then back when there was plenty of it to spare. David Gilmour is freaking amazing on this song, by the way." – ClemofNazareth

"And now we get GILMOUR's first truly defining guitar solo: the solo centerpiece of 'Time' is a stunner, sucking us up into a tornado. The best solos are set up by what precedes them, and this is no exception. GILMOUR gets his guitar to scream and wail, then drops us back to earth, wrung out, half-deaf and unsure of how much time has passed, the last notes leading back into the relentless lyrics." – russellk

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 08:10
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

There's just going to be an absolute storm of Yes songs aren't there? 

I wonder if I could make it as a professional psychic?

"And now we get GILMOUR's first truly defining guitar solo"

Utter blasphemy. Get out, whoever said this. Curses be upon your family *sticks tongue out*

Aside from Awaken, Heart of the Sunrise, and Time, which are all far too high (not necessarily bad though), I can pretty much accept the latest updates. My proposed top ten from before mainly still stands, except for 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Rick310103 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:49
Great work !

Can't wait to see what the top 15 is ...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 15:49
Originally posted by Rick310103 Rick310103 wrote:

Great work !

Can't wait to see what the top 15 is ...

yeah..I'm trembling with anticipation and excitement myself to see how many genesis song you all managed to  cram into the top 10 LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 14:26
Well, genesis had five top ten u.s. hits on invisible touch alone.  Add the three or four singles from We can't dance, you almost got ten right there :)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 22:48

15. Van der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts – A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers 

2167.2 points     Appears 8 times             Mean rank: 46               Ranked highest by Slipperman7 (#3)

"The story narrates the helplessness of a lighthouse keeper to save the stranded bodies on the coast. Its spacey powerful overture mutates into a mysterious sonic chaos, letting the listener lost through the immensity of the sea. Unpredictable, this suite features numerous changes, slow and fast sections. Sublime, dark, touching, depressive, demented are one of the few adjectives that could describe this unbelievable piece. Beware: combined with Peter Hammill's possessed voice, you'll find yourself at the gates of despair and delirium. The finale is just not of this world..." – Modrigue

"Van Der Graaf's chief contribution to the epic catalog certainly amounts to them on a musical level, although it has a more scattered sensibility to it. Instead of sounding like a traditional epic, 'Plague' is a chaotic, almost rhapsodic piece that cycles through a number of different interesting ideas and places on its journey, ending up somewhere very different than from it started." - Conor Fynes

14. Jethro Tull – Thick As A Brick – Thick As A Brick

2203.3 points     Appears 7 times             Mean rank: 18               Ranked highest by The Dark Elf (#1)

"The recurring themes of this two-part epic fail to become stale, and they can easily implant themselves on the memories of their hearers. With only a few exceptions (mostly in part two), the composition flows together easily from one motif to the next. The unmistakable (and often snide) vocal technique of Ian Anderson continually breathe life into the composition, and his flute work gives the whole intricate piece that distinctive Jethro Tull flavor." – Epignosis

"It still boggles my mind how these guys came up with an album full of such great music and playing, yet never did anything else that comes close...This is like a cross between what ELP and Genesis were doing at the time, but somehow better. I've always loved the line: "Your sperms in the gutter/Your love's in the sink". I have no idea what that means but it sounds great. It took a not very proggy band to make fun of prog to make one of the greatest prog albums *ever*. Funny how the universe works." – Zravkapt (#21)

13. ELP – Brain Salad Surgery – Karn Evil 9

2220.3 points     Appears 8 times             Mean rank: 52               Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#2)

"Karn Evil 9 is one of the great prog epics, a suite in three parts that rivals, and even surpasses in many ways, amazing epics like Close To The Edge and Thick As A Brick. Here, Emerson shines as both composer and player, weaving incredible keyboards whether in classical, jazz or rock styles, all of which are blended amazingly." – Evolver

"Then follows almost 30 minutes of some of the most innovative, compelling and outstanding music I have heard in the 3 piece epic, Karn Evil 9. There are virtuoso performances from all the band throughout Impression One, the most famous of the three. Emerson puts the brand new Polyphonic Moog through its paces here…as he takes synth excursions off into a new stratosphere…The Third Impression shows ELP setting a template for many of their successors. This is a wonderfully pompous piece of music, with more amazing synth work from Emerson. The dramatic build-up and finale still move me 35 years later." – Roj

12. Genesis – Selling England By The Pound – The Cinema Show

2416.7 points     Appears 9 times             Mean rank: 48               Ranked highest by someone_else (#7)

"The Cinema Show opens with 12 string guitar soon to be joined by vocals. The song brightens 2 minutes in. The sound is so delicate and intricate with these textures and shades drawing our attention. It's all too much to listen to just once. There is a vocal melody 4 minutes in that is like listening to sunshine." - Mellotron Storm

"The Cinema Show is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. There are at least three goose bump moments. The first notes of the guitar always give me that creeping feeling of majesty. The nanas at the four minute mark are equally beautiful. Finally, the last half of the song features Collins, Rutherford and Banks at their best. The rhythm section with Banks overtop is worthy of ELP, though without the machismo…Banks solo at the seven minute mark is the piece that taught me how to solo; it's not about the quantity of notes, but which notes you put where…Literally, this song shaped my playing more than any other piece of music." - Roland113

11. Genesis – Selling England By The Pound – Dancing With The Moonlit Knight

2480.2 points     Appears 10 times           Mean rank: 56               Ranked highest by TheLionOfPrague (#14)

"The album starts up with a very powerful and memorable track (and one of my favourite Genesis tracks) 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight' which starts out not with a bombastic progressive onslaught, but the acapella vocals of singer Peter Gabriel. While I've never been a huge fan of Peter Gabriel, his vocals really shine on this album, and his quirky inflections really compliment the witty lyrics." - Conor Fynes

"When you love Progressive Rock and you listen to this track you will see that everything is at the right place and leads to sheer pleasure: the music is so perfect that malicious tongues could nearly call it expectable and 'cliche' - if Genesis hadn't invented this often-copied cliche with this song: it could be the most essential progressive rock song ever." - Einsetumadur
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 23:48
And now, into the top 10!

10. Genesis – Nursery Cryme – The Musical Box

2664.9 points     Appears 9 times             Mean rank: 31               Ranked highest by Slipperman7 (#7)

"So we have the Musical Box, one of the most perfectly constructed and powerful songs in prog history, featuring vocal passages mostly low and mysterious, and instrumental breaks increasing in intensity until finally even Peter Gabriel has to cut loose at the end. The wordless sections are so refreshingly dominated by Mr Hackett's quirky expressions rather than the overused organ, and the ending is a master stroke." – kenethlevine

"Musical Box is a marathon of dark and light shades, a consistent pulling of tension and release, with musical virtuoso as never before heard by the band. “The Musical Box” is a dynamic exploration of symphonic pomp prog. They are undisputed on this track and it remains one of the all time treasured masterpieces of Genesis and indeed prog history. The chord progressions are intricately executed with a dozen or so melodies and time sigs pastiched over one another to create a soundscape montage." – AtomicCrimsonRush

"One of prog's (and rock's, and music's) highest zeniths, highest pinnacles. Everything falls into place. The playing by all members, the melody, the tension, the spectacular structure where themes grow and ecstasy is created, and Gabriel... I used to be a Gabriel detractor... After listening to this song carefully, I just think I should've shut up and be quiet, as the master was singing. All his followers, the Fishes, the Collins', the neo's, all learned from this song. Drama, passion, art." - The T

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 00:04

9. Pink Floyd – Atom Heart Mother – Atom Heart Mother Suite

2670.1 points     Appears 11 times           Mean rank: 67               Ranked highest by Guldbamsen (#1)

"The whole thing works very well in its 23-minute length and includes gorgeous highlights. Especially I love the section that starts quietly with a lonely organ melody and little by little increases the tension until it's mindblowingly emotional melodic prog graced by wailing electric guitars. That's one of the earliest trademark Floyd sounds - familiar up to their latest albums." - Matti

"It's here, where you could probably say, that my favorite aspect of Floyd was finally mastered, the long jam, with Nick Mason keeping a slow steady groove, Wright on the keys setting the tone and the mood, Waters at the helm, and Gilmore just rockin' out. No matter the subject of which these guys played, if there are no instrumental jams, it's not Pink Floyd. Gilmore's guitar is just otherworldly…one that pops up on either the radio or my iPod and my first reaction is "Ahhh, now I can relax". It's a sedative, and I just absolutely love it." - Wicket

"The 23-minute title track is a radical departure for the band. Up until this point their music was primarily psychedelic in nature: however, this track is full-blown symphonic prog. Yes, it has choirs and an orchestra, mellotron and all, but the thing that makes it symphonic is the recurring theme, restated and expanded, in the way of classical symphonic music…Yes, the sounds are those of 'Ummagumma', but the shape of those sounds is symphonic, not psychedelic, and that makes all the difference." – russellk

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 00:05
8. Genesis – Selling England By The Pound – Firth of Fifth

2989.8 points     Appears 10 times           Mean rank: 27               Ranked highest by A_Flower (#2)

"Tony Banks showcases his talent with the introduction to one of Gabriel-era Genesis's most beloved songs. It goes right perfectly into the verse, with Gabriel's voice at its most majestic, and subtle layers of instrument flowing underneath like a gentle river…Hackett's solo is considered one of the greatest moments of the song, during which he recalls Gabriel's flute line, making the lengthier notes quiver. The way the music travels back to the verse is masterful and a clear indication of what Genesis was capable of compositionally." – Epignosis

"The piano-intro in [Firth of Fifth] is superb, the way the song is thematically integrated is perfect, but the absolute beauty arrives in the shape of the solo of all solos, the one Hackett does imitating the already-majestic melody that Peter Gabriel played in the flute near the end of the verse. The cry, the lament that we can hear in the strings, the melodic power that we feel under our skin is too much for a song to handle. Yet this one does, and it concludes brilliantly." - The T

"[Firth of Fifth] contains one of Tony Bank's finest moments on piano in a stunningly inventive and beautifully played lengthy introduction to this track. As for the remainder, we should simply lobby the makers of dictionaries to amend their next versions to include an entry: 'Majestic' - see Firth of Fifth" – ExittheLemming

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 02:41
SEbtP galore! Three tracks making up more than half of the album within a range of five Shocked!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:11
wow... I never knew Genesis was so popular here!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

wow... I never knew Genesis was so popular here!!!!

So popular that even you voted for a couple of those songs LOL

I pretty much agree that classic era Genesis made more mediocre songs than good ones, but when they were at their fullest potential, they made fantastic songs. All five or so of them...

So that leaves Supper's Ready, Starless, Tarkus, And You and I, Close To The Edge... Has Echoes shown up yet? And uh... not sure... Haven't paid enough attention. Echoes and Gates of Delirium? Not sure if they're already listed. 

7. And You And I
6. The Gates of Delirium
5. Echoes
4. Close to the Edge
3. Supper's Ready
2. Tarkus
1. Starless

Random guess
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:47
Embarrassed  of course I did... about where they belong.. after about 40 odd other songs....a hater I am not... LOL I'm just not loony enough to rate every single thing they did as great.

They obviously had a few great songs.... mixed album-wise with a bunch of sleep inducing crap. When a prog group lacks instrumental firepower.. you better be on your song writing games.. and Genesis stumbled through hits and misses  that until they finally realized their true talents were writing snappy 3 minute pop songs and leaving the intellectual sh*t behind. They didn't have the instrumental abilities, like Yes and others, to carry them and still make less than great 'songs' listenable.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:53
I'd agree with that. SEBTP is the only album of theirs I actually like listening to all the way through (More Fool Me is short enough to be harmless, and for whatever reason I can tolerate Epping Forrest better than you can LOL). Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Lamb all have songs I just couldn't care less about. No way could anyone listen to Can Utility or Back in NYC and reach the conclusion that those are particularly good songs if they weren't already attached to a famous group. Trespass is probably the most consistent album overall, perhaps it's a shame they didn't stick mainly with the soothing, pastoral muzak... But then we wouldn't have Firth of Fifth. Ah well...  Meanwhile, you're right, Yes has at least four albums I can listen to all the way through with no problem.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:00
even then...  I stand proudly by what I said of Epping Forest... that IS the Chinese Water torture of prog. God almighty... perhaps only the sh*t sandwich that is the 2nd half of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is more painful to listen to.

so what... a full quarter to a 3rd of that album. Their 'best' is 1 star crap. That is Genesis for you. Hit and miss. Yes... that album is saved by the two best things they did prior to Duke... Cinema Show and the Moonlit Knight.. and that is why I had them on my list... and fairly high up as those things go. They were great songs.  Some of the other Genesis stuff.. come on...  if you can't come up with 20 better... RPI fans could alone LOL.. then you are stuck in a rut of being a Genesis fan.. and not a fan of the music in general. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>