Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 11:00
7. King Crimson – Red – Starless

3054.9 points     Appears 10 times           Mean rank: 24               Ranked highest by DDPascalDD (#1)

"The guitar and Mellotron melodies at the beginning and end are just fantastic. The addition of guest musicians makes this the definitive version. I love how the Mellotron dies out and is replaced by a cello(?) for a moment. Later a repeated bass part sets up the piece for some minimalistic guitar playing and odd sounds. This part becomes more intense and louder as it progresses…The main theme is reprised on some wind instrument briefly and the band comes back full throttle with Fripp doing an amazing solo on one string. Main theme comes back at the end in a very majestic fashion. Superb - one of the greatest endings to any song ever." - Zravkapt (#2)

"Can you really ask for more from twelve minutes of music? There is a lovely vocal melody at the start accompanied by very sensitive playing by the ensemble, moving onto a slow but suspenseful crawl that leads into a blowout with the band absolutely on fire to close with a powerful re-iteration of the opening theme. In short, a kaleidoscope of emotions. Other than the vocal parts, the rest of the track once again appears loose with scope for expansion and contraction. And yet, there is not a moment too many of music in there, the entire track is very purposefully organized and performed brilliantly once again." – rogerthat

"Starless is the masterpiece of the band: a melancholic, mellotron driven piece is hearable in the beginning, with a stunning vocal performance by John Wetton. the sax gives a wonderful touch to it…The last minute is a reprise to the mellotron driven melody of the beginning, only with a pondering bass and guitar that accompanies. So ends a wonderful piece of music." – EatThatPhonebook

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 11:18
6. Yes – Close To The Edge – And You And I

3177.9 points     Appears 11 times           Mean rank: 35               Ranked highest by The Dark Elf (#2)

"And you and I is a great sample of how a romantic song may sound in the progressive rock genre; the rhythm and the lyrics are there but there is no concession to cheesiness or weeping, only a story to be told. Now guitar and bass are responsible for creating an impressive atmosphere; the music goes in a crescendo until a fabulous and majestic ending. It is no surprise why many people consider this as their favorite Yes song." - Atkingani

"What follows is one of the most gorgeous compositions ever played on twelve strings; it evokes in my mind the image of having gone through a difficult night, but for enduring, getting to watch morning break through the darkness. The verse employs only three chords for quite some time, making this one of the most undemanding parts of the whole album. The following section consists of more counterpoint, with the background vocals sung through a Leslie, which to be honest, makes them hard to understand. The chord progression during this section is amazing, as is the refrain Anderson sings with himself over only Howe's twelve-string. The Mellotron builds and brings the listener to one of the greatest moments in Yes music: Howe's steel guitar and Wakeman's mini-Moog and organ painted on a canvas of Mellotron, bass, and drums. Anderson's vocals soar during this part, and soon Howe reprises his introduction, flowing right into something of a singer-songwriter section. Squire's bass growls as the rest of the band comes back in, building through Wakeman's mini-Moog and some rich vocal work, to the final moments of the song, entitled "Apocalypse," which is merely the refrain from earlier- but is such a lovely, lovely way to end one of Yes's finest pieces." – Epignosis

"When that mellotron hits on You and I.. the clothes come off. Micky tested.. Micky approved" – Micky

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - September 24 2016 at 11:18
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 11:35
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

"When that mellotron hits on You and I.. the clothes come off. Micky tested.. Micky approved" – Micky

Surely nothing else need be said here...

And Starless didn't make the top five! ClapHugClap

The shortest song in the top five will be 18 minutes, I think I'm ok with that.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 12:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

even then...  I stand proudly by what I said of Epping Forest... that IS the Chinese Water torture of prog. God almighty... perhaps only the sh*t sandwich that is the 2nd half of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is more painful to listen to.

so what... a full quarter to a 3rd of that album. Their 'best' is 1 star crap. That is Genesis for you. Hit and miss. Yes... that album is saved by the two best things they did prior to Duke... Cinema Show and the Moonlit Knight.. and that is why I had them on my list... and fairly high up as those things go. They were great songs.  Some of the other Genesis stuff.. come on...  if you can't come up with 20 better... RPI fans could alone LOL.. then you are stuck in a rut of being a Genesis fan.. and not a fan of the music in general. 
I couldn't come up with 20 great Yes songs if my life depended on it myself. Close to the...something, Siberian...something, The Revealing Giants Under the...something? Sleepy At least The Battle of Epping Forest stands out, for better or worse. LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:39
really?

let's see...just how many great Yessongs are there really... being conservative.

none on the first.. or second.. though make no mistake..  somem of those songs are better than fully 80% of anything Genesis did but again.. erroring on the side of being conservative...

so we get to TYA.  Easy 3 there. Delectably 5.. but low balling this.

Yours is No Disgrace, Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People

to Fragile...5 no brainers...  Debatebly more...

Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, The Fish, Mood for a Day, Heart of the Sunrise

next to Close the Edge.  all 3 no brainers... brings us up to 11 total

Tales...  going with 1 there. Which one.. depends..  on who you ask. All 4 sides would get votes. No stinkers here.  12

Replayer...  2 there.  14

GFTO... 1 there...  Awaken... 15...

Tormato 1 Silent Wings of Freedom..   16

Drama...  2 easy... Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit.. and a 3rd debatable Does it Really Happen

so I get 18 album tracks ... add  in their cover version of America... that makes 19 and I was generously low...nor getting into 90125 with its 2 classics...in which prog was still getting airplay on the radio in 1983. Changes and It Can Happen.  But again.. being conservative.. we'll leave those out.

Edited by micky - September 24 2016 at 15:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:46
You're too kind Mick.  The first album has one or two.   And Tales has f**king 4!!  All 4, yeah that's right.  Big smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:51
as I said.. I was bring conservative...LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:01
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

even then...  I stand proudly by what I said of Epping Forest... that IS the Chinese Water torture of prog. God almighty... perhaps only the sh*t sandwich that is the 2nd half of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is more painful to listen to.

so what... a full quarter to a 3rd of that album. Their 'best' is 1 star crap. That is Genesis for you. Hit and miss. Yes... that album is saved by the two best things they did prior to Duke... Cinema Show and the Moonlit Knight.. and that is why I had them on my list... and fairly high up as those things go. They were great songs.  Some of the other Genesis stuff.. come on...  if you can't come up with 20 better... RPI fans could alone LOL.. then you are stuck in a rut of being a Genesis fan.. and not a fan of the music in general. 

I have not got a clue what you are trying to say in your message here?  Confused

yeah... I am not good at making clear concise posts...

short version...

Genesis is overrated LOL
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:09

Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

I have not got a clue what you are trying to say in your message here?  Confused

yeah... I am not good at making clear concise posts...

short version...

Genesis is overrated LOL

I agree overall  , but not their earlier stuff.  Lots of bands took over where they left off from progressive, like Marillion.

I prefer the Gabriel/Hackett era  of Genesis.

Edited by noni - September 24 2016 at 16:10
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:18
my own.....29 great Yessongs

Beyond and Before
Harold Land
Survival
Yours
Starship
Perpetual
Round
South Side
Mood
Heart
Close
Siberian
And You
Revealing
Remembering
Ancient
Ritual
Gates
Sound
To Be Over
Awaken
Turn of the Century
Future Times
Madrigal
Silent Wings
Machine Messiah
Into the Lens
Tempus
Hearts (ok, this one is a stretch)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:20
well... that is not exactly a ringing endorcement...  Marillion really... giving rise to a bunch of talent challenged neo bands aping Genesis light in the loafers style is not exactly a positive mark on the McLedger for their prog legacy. LOL

seriously.. I do like a lot of Genesis's 70's stuff... unfortunately they couldn't do one album where groups like Yes had many.. that were eminently listenable .. start to finish.  Even their 'best' album could and should be rated no more than 4 stars. A sizeable portion of even that album is pure T crap. Hit and miss.. that is 70's Genesis and why I can't put them anywhere near the same pedestal as I'd put groups like Yes or King Crimson who had multiple albums with no glaring faults or outright stinkers.... and since they either chose not to (in Hatchet's case) or could not (for the rest of the group) showcase their musical abilities... they fail in relation to similarly flawed groups like ELP that even when they fail.. .they sill put on a interesting show musical as they were the ultimate prog muso's band.

Edited by micky - September 24 2016 at 16:22
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:24
great list Jim! Clap so let's flip this.

list of great Genesis songs.....  I'll have to think that over.. as only 5 jump immediately to mind as personal favorites
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:03
^ My personal great Yes songs list turns up 20.

Great Genesis songs would be closer to 10. And only 2 of those would be in the same tier as the Yes ones.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:08
5. ELP – Tarkus – Tarkus

3183.1 points     Appears 10 times           Mean rank: 16               Ranked highest by Zravkapt (#1)

"The album opens with a cute little song called TARKUS. This pompous, overblown, self-indulgent and pretentious epic, has the quality that distinguishes the memorable ones from the forgettable ones: This 20 minute song feels like a 3 minute Top 40 hit single to me. And you know why? Because of its cohesiveness, every note is where it should be, every section has a purpose and even Lake's vocals fit with the mood of every section perfectly." - crimson87

"The title track remains, even almost forty years later, as one of the most fantastic, and most cohesive, prog rock epics ever recorded. Many long epics sound like many songs joined together to make them into one long song. But this one, with its complex interwoven themes that pop up throughout the work, flows perfectly from one section to the other, often referencing back to previous ideas, or previewing sections to come. This is just a work of genius." – Evolver

"God: Listen to it, that intro, 'Eruption', is it?

Atavachron: That's right.

God: Well there it is, all of it, the cerebral culmination of everything modern music had accomplished in the five-hundred years before they recorded. The very foundation of modern populist tonalogy; the classics; the advent of electricity; jazz; mid-20th Century; and folk. Emerson understood, and knew he was the right man at the right time to attempt what needed to be done. To do, if you'll forgive me, God's Work." - Atavachron

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 22:01

really?

let's see...just how many great Yessongs are there really... being conservative.

none on the first.. or second.. though make no mistake..  somem of those songs are better than fully 80% of anything Genesis did but again.. erroring on the side of being conservative...

Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, The Fish, Mood for a Day, Heart of the Sunrise

Tales...  going with 1 there. Which one.. depends..  on who you ask. All 4 sides would get votes. No stinkers here.  12

Drama...  2 easy... Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit.. and a 3rd debatable Does it Really Happen

so I get 18 album tracks ... add  in their cover version of America... that makes 19 and I was generously low...nor getting into 90125 with its 2 classics...in which prog was still getting airplay on the radio in 1983. Changes and It Can Happen.  But again.. being conservative.. we'll leave those out.

This is pointless, you're trying to be objective about something that's completely subjective. What's your parameter to decide what's a good song and what's a bad one? I think pretty much everything, or at least 90% of what Genesis did from Trespass to ATOTT is fantastic, and same for what Yes did from The Yes Album to Going for the One. I don't think there's any reason to say Can Utility and the Coastliners or The Battle of Epping Forest are bad, or that Tales From Topographic Oceans is terrible, as many would say. And I don't like Wind and Wuthering that much, or don't rate Awaken as much as others but don't have a problem with those who do. Don't know why you hate the fact that many rate Genesis that much Confused It's not like they're saying Nickelback and Limp Bizkit are better than Herbie Hancock.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 22:13
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

really?

This is pointless, you're trying to be objective about something that's completely subjective. What's your parameter to decide what's a good song and what's a bad one? I think pretty much everything, or at least 90% of what Genesis did from Trespass to ATOTT is fantastic, and same for what Yes did from The Yes Album to Going for the One. I don't think there's any reason to say Can Utility and the Coastliners or The Battle of Epping Forest are bad, or that Tales From Topographic Oceans is terrible, as many would say. And I don't like Wind and Wuthering that much, or don't rate Awaken as much as others but don't have a problem with those who do. Don't know why you hate the fact that many rate Genesis that much Confused It's not like they're saying Nickelback and Limp Bizkit are better than Herbie Hancock.

Now don't you come along and be all reasonable while we're trying to stroke our opinionated egos! Tongue
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 06:23
As a VdGG fan it's really disappointing to see some of their great songs like Darkness, The Undercover man, Pilgrims, and Arrow out of top 300. They should have really been here.

Edited by aliano - September 25 2016 at 06:26
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 06:26

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

really?

Now don't you come along and be all reasonable while we're trying to stroke our opinionated egos! Tongue

LOL reasonable?.... pffff... that is the death of any internet forum.....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 06:31

"God: Listen to it, that intro, 'Eruption', is it?

Atavachron: That's right.

God: Well there it is, all of it, the cerebral culmination of everything modern music had accomplished in the five-hundred years before they recorded. The very foundation of modern populist tonalogy; the classics; the advent of electricity; jazz; mid-20th Century; and folk. Emerson understood, and knew he was the right man at the right time to attempt what needed to be done. To do, if you'll forgive me, God's Work." - Atavachron

god I love that man.... Heart

and to Scott's point.. and mine... what is the best example of a cut and past epic that sounds disjointed and obviously pasted together to make one long song UNLIKE Tarkus... yep... a song the bobbleheads obviously put before Tarkus.

A crime I tell ya... thanks Genesis fanboys...LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 08:01

^ My personal great Yes songs list turns up 20.

Great Genesis songs would be closer to 10. And only 2 of those would be in the same tier as the Yes ones.

Genesis would be a lot harder to do....  only one of the Yes greats I listed is one I really don't care for (Awaken) while Genesis had a good number of greats I really don't enjoy (or necessarily agree with LOL) so I suppose any list from me will be personal favs even if they aren't necessarily 'great' songs.. and those I think musically qualify as being 5 star quality regardless of whether I like or enjoy them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>